What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Highlands Ranch school shooting -- 1 dead, more injured (1 Viewer)

And on the news this morning they showed the 18 year olds picture but not the juvenile, which is a joke. I don't care how old the piece of garbage is, show his face to the world. And with any luck they will charge him as an adult and put his evil @@@ away forever.

And on the news this morning they showed the 18 year olds picture but not the juvenile, which is a joke. I don't care how old the piece of garbage is, show his face to the world. And with any luck they will charge him as an adult and put his evil @@@ away forever.
The sheriff just said the minor is a female not Male. 

They shouldnt show either of them. Ever. 

ETA: once they are apprehended. If it is a manhunt obviously ok to show.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. I think it's a good thing that all the coverage of the shooting in North Carolina has been around the kid that heroically gave his own life rather than the shooter. Stop giving the murderers the attention that they want. Make it clear that this is not a way to gain attention.
Sounds like another tackle happened in this incident, but not sure yet. I read it in a couple places. 

Exactly. Plastering the murderers face all over the news is EXACTLY the reason they are doing this. This is there gasp for attention to the world in a misguided attempt to get people to remember them for their pathetic lives.

I read something different - that the kid who helped tackle one of the shooters survived and someone else was the one who died.  The student who helped tackle the shooter is planning to join the military after graduating.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/05/08/brendan-bialy-tackled-colorado-school-shooting-suspect-father-says/1139373001/
Sounded like there was more than one person who tried to tackle the shooter.  First kid died.  This kid was successful.  

I think it's too early to conclude that what motivated these two particular killers was a quest for publicity and attention. And while I get that all the media coverage may very well motivate other killers for whom that is their primary goal, I do think that there is value in understanding why these killers did what they did and what signs there were that may have been missed or ignored.  Because the most likely way a future incident will be prevented is by educating the public so people will recognize warning signs and hopefully do something about it.

Unless they are hanging from a tree with a noose around their neck. Usually I'm for quick execution but looking at this punk's picture, general population should be a suitable punishment.

I live about 5 minutes from the school, drive by it every day. No kids of my own and thankfully everyone else I know, their kids are safe and sound. One of my coworkers neighbors was shot but thankfully has survived and is in stable condition.

The community response is overwhelming and amazing how quickly the police can respond to these things now, but obviously the national debate will continue to rage on for what to do or not do or even can do. I'll leave that for the politics forum.

I live about 5 minutes from the school, drive by it every day. No kids of my own and thankfully everyone else I know, their kids are safe and sound. One of my coworkers neighbors was shot but thankfully has survived and is in stable condition.

The community response is overwhelming and amazing how quickly the police can respond to these things now, but obviously the national debate will continue to rage on for what to do or not do or even can do. I'll leave that for the politics forum.
Wow - very sorry to hear that.  Good luck to your community.

SHIZNITTTT said:
we have become numb
Yep. I teach a High School Current Events class and school shootings are barely even a blip on my kids radars. Its so common now that its just the way things are, which to me is one of the saddest things about it all. 

My fear is that the debate will cease to rage on. 

Glad to hear you and the folks in your circle are okay. Scary stuff. 

I know you mean well but the flip side of your argument is that it ends up making journalists look like they're exploiting tragedy to promote a hero narrative.
Some might view it that way, but I'm perfectly fine with promoting the hero narrative.

Some of the implications in this article I'm still wrestling with in my head, but largely I think there is probably a lot of truth to the idea that as more and more of these incidents end in a very low death toll due to heroic actions which are then covered while the killers are ignored, that these incidents will start to become less likely to happen.

I think it's too early to conclude that what motivated these two particular killers was a quest for publicity and attention. And while I get that all the media coverage may very well motivate other killers for whom that is their primary goal, I do think that there is value in understanding why these killers did what they did and what signs there were that may have been missed or ignored.  Because the most likely way a future incident will be prevented is by educating the public so people will recognize warning signs and hopefully do something about it.
I think there are plenty of groups and people that can continue to research the reasons without giving media attention to the killers. I don't think that publicizing individual cases serves much of a positive purpose.

The reality is that there have unfortunately happened enough times that I think we have a pretty good idea what elements are typically involved. Usually a poor home life of some sort, often mental health issues and bullying often a component.

But the data is also pretty clear that clustering tends to happen which lends credibility to the idea that media coverage/attention plays a big role. For a teenager that feels ignored/abused at home and ignored/abused at school, gaining revenge, attention and power can be a very strong motivator. And when we continually publicize kids doing these things for these reasons, other kids that can possibly relate suddenly have a really bad cue to follow.

I know you mean well but the flip side of your argument is that it ends up making journalists look like they're exploiting tragedy to promote a hero narrative.
Some might view it that way, but I'm perfectly fine with promoting the hero narrative.

Some of the implications in this article I'm still wrestling with in my head, but largely I think there is probably a lot of truth to the idea that as more and more of these incidents end in a very low death toll due to heroic actions which are then covered while the killers are ignored, that these incidents will start to become less likely to happen.
Maybe, but you are looking at the situation from the POV of a rational human being. I'm not so sure that mentally disturbed killers are going to be deterred by low death tolls and media coverage. Their sanctuaries are the 4chans and 8chans and message boards that essentially create their own form of media coverage. As long as those places exist, then potential shooters will have a sanctuary where their feelings of disaffection can be encouraged and groomed.

Users who are viewing this thread