What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Abortion thread: (5 Viewers)

In addition to the abortion law, Alabama is also passing a law designed to “punish false accusations of rape.” According to the law if a woman charges a guy with rape, but the guy is found not guilty, the accuser has to pay for 100% of his legal fees. 

You can’t make this stuff up- well you could if you were Margaret Atwood I guess. Alabama and Georgia’s Republicans are trying really hard to antagonize suburban women. Bet they succeed too. 
Wait, legal fees by the victim if there’s an acquittal? Link?

Last edited by a moderator:
So, anyone disagree that the Alabama law is basically step one of the Handmaid’s Tale?

How can that happen in a liberal democracy?
I think there are more than a couple in here that would disagree with that.  Probably a couple that would welcome a Handmaid's Tale reality too.  ;)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.al.com/politics/2019/05/alabama-bill-would-criminalize-false-rape-accusations.html%3foutputType=amp

I should note that the reporting in this article has been directly challenged by @Ditkaless Wonders in this thread as inaccurate, and he accused me of deliberately attempting to spread false information. I learned of it on MSNBC last week. 
Yeah, you’ve summarized the article correctly, but the article itself is crap. Its one redeeming feature is that it links to the text of bill so that anyone who clicks through can see that the article is crap.

(Accusers don’t get in trouble just because the accused is acquitted.)

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
I certainly didn't expect this...

Tomi Lahren‏ @TomiLahren 5h5 hours ago

I will be attacked by fellow conservatives for saying this but so be it, this Alabama abortion ban is too restrictive. It doesn’t save life, it simply forces women into more dangerous methods, other states or countries. You don’t encourage life via blanket government mandate!
I don't understand the pro-life view that its too restrictive. If you believe abortion is murder, what should you want the law to be?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.al.com/politics/2019/05/alabama-bill-would-criminalize-false-rape-accusations.html%3foutputType=amp

I should note that the reporting in this article has been directly challenged by @Ditkaless Wonders in this thread as inaccurate, and he accused me of deliberately attempting to spread false information. I learned of it on MSNBC last week. 
Yeah I read the actual bill.  DW is correct and that article, like most news articles reporting on sex crimes, is inaccurate (albeit I don't think deliberately). 

Yeah, you’ve summarized the article correctly, but the article itself is crap. Its one redeeming feature is that it links to the text of bill so that anyone who clicks through can see that the article is crap.

(Accusers don’t get in trouble just because the accused is acquitted.)
Yep.  This is the most important distinction as the bill itself says that a person can be convicted and may be responsible for legal fees if the allegations are proven to be false (i.e. exoneration).  In the world of criminal law, there's a huge difference between acquittal and exoneration.  For example, OJ was acquitted.  The Duke lacrosse kids were exonerated. 

Not even close to the same thing at 6 weeks. 

I read posts like this for the humor then I realize we need to put more money in our educational system and pay teachers more.
The guy you quoted has a doctorate. 

Alabama Governor Kay Ivey’s reverence for the “sanctity of life” did not prevent her from rejecting clemency for the latest prisoner executed today: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2019/05/16/last-word-of-man-executed-in-alabama-was-amen/amp/

This is the 7th person executed this year. 
For the record, the life that was extinguished by the state tonight was a man named Michael Samra.  He and another man killed 4 people that night, a man and woman who were engaged, and her two daughters.  The mother and children were from a town near where I grew up.  Samra and the son of the male victim entered the home, the son shot his father and Samra shot the mother in the face in front of her young daughters.  According to the records of that case, the woman sustained a wound to the face but survived and fled upstairs from the attackers with her small children.  She tried hiding out with one daughter, the 6 year old, in the bathroom while the other daughter hid under a bed.  After kicking open the door, the other gunman then shot the mother again, killing her.  The two attackers were out of ammunition at this point.  They didn't choose to leave.  They then brandished two knives and yanked the  6 year old from behind the shower curtain.  The other attacker slit the throat of the 6 year old.  The 7 year old was still hiding under the bed.  They then located her and while she tried to fight them off, the other attacker held the 7 year old down so that Michael Samra could slit her throat.

I'm not a fan of the abortion bill here in Alabama, but count me as one who is happy that Michael Samra is gone.  If you believe in hell, be happy he is there.  If not, then hope he suffered half as much as the 6 and 7 year old girls did who had to watch their mother murdered, then be killed in a horrific way as they were overpowered by these cowards.  As a father of two young girls, I can't even imagine what they went through and the pain that their father must feel for knowing what his daughters had to endure.  So I won't lose any sleep tonight over this "life".  In fact, if I smoked or drank I might go enjoy a light or a round to celebrate.  Good riddance.

Should pass a law if you get a woman pregnant you have to marry her and are financially responsible for her and all of her children's well being for the rest of their lives. If you get caught cheating or unemployed for more than 6 months, you are accused of abuse or not giving them proper food, shelter, and clothing, you get 99 years in prison. 

Perhaps had you originally written "according to the article I read editorializing on the law"  rather than stating unequivocally "according to the law"  I would not have commented at all.  As it was I did not accuse you of deliberately attempting to spread false information, though that is in fact what you actually did.  Rather I raised the possibility that you were.  I  left unsaid, but open, other possibilities, probably less flattering and so unstated.  

See, I believe you are literate enough to understand the implications of your language and I hold you to understanding what you write, particularly when it is forwarding your very clear political agenda.  I don't believe in accidents that forward ones own interests, I believe in agenda when that occurs.

Aren't you the guy who keeps talking about how logical consistency is overrated and should be abandoned as a goal?
Oh absolutely. I brought this up because apparently in the request for clemency the guy’s lawyers brought up the governor’s comments about sanctity of life. So I thought it was interesting. 

But yeah if somebody wants to be pro-life and pro- capital punishment I’ve got no problem with it. 

"The new Alabama abortion ban has nothing to do with mercy or the preservation and sanctity of life. The politicians in this state who voted for this law do not care about children once they have been expelled from our wombs. They do not care whether a child is wanted, fed, loved and provided for. They do not care about the things they thrust on the shoulders of women and children, and whether or not they are left destitute in the fallout.

Our politicians demonstrate no desire to understand the destructive nature of silence in victims of rape and incest, and instead base law on their idealistic fantasies of how they want women in crisis pregnancies to feel and react. This willful ignorance is a violence in and of itself. It makes my skin crawl and my stomach turn that yet another trespasser has inserted themselves into some part of me, without even touching me, without being forced to confront my voice before speaking over it. This is not compassion, this is cowardice. They dishonor us all.

I am not ashamed to say that if I had been given the option of a so-called “later-term” abortion, I would have taken it. I know the value of being given a choice, because I know what it is like to have those choices ripped out from underneath you with only the freefall below. It should have been my decision, and certainly not that of some faceless interloper who will never experience my reality, or Zoe’s."

But that's the WHOLE point.  There is no agreement on when life begins.  Your belief that equating a single sperm to a fertilized egg being "just dumb" is exactly the way pro-choice people feel when a few week old fertilized egg is compared to a living human being.

It's not "just dumb".  It's literally the exact same argument pro-lifers use against pro-choicers.  You just move back the starting point of life a few steps and then pretend like someone is a monster for wanting to destroy that life.  You thinking it's idiotic that someone would call you a mass murderer for ####ing off into a tissue is exactly how pro-choicers feel when someone calls them a murderer for not forcing someone to save that 0.1mm egg.
I get that, I've just never understood it.  Life needs parts from both the mother (female) and the father (male).  Parts from either alone, don't, and scientifically can't create life. 

When you say "move back the starting point a few steps", in my mind one of those "steps" is in fact the moment that life begins.  Anything after that point, and you're ending that life.  Anything before that point, and that life had never even begun so couldn't be ended.  And for the record, as my initial post read, I'm not totally against it - I do believe that the woman should have that choice.  But that choice is what it is - it's ending a life.  Let's call it what it is.

Literally last night, a very good friend of mine (well, his wife) posted on social media, due to all of this happening, that they ended a pregnancy last year - which very few knew about.  I didn't.  And I get it, I really do.  They have 3 kids already, two of them pretty much special needs (very much on the spectrum), with one income for the household.  It wasn't planned.  He's since had the snip done.  I'm not sure what I'd have done in the same situation.  My own child went through a very, very serious medical situation last year - and for all we know the cause of it was the genetic combination of his mother and father.  He's completely fine now (thanks to modern medical technology), but it did finalize my own decision about family planning going forward - which by the way I for some reason needed my wife's "permission" to do, which was kinda odd to me. 

When you say "move back the starting point a few steps", in my mind one of those "steps" is in fact the moment that life begins.  Anything after that point, and you're ending that life.  Anything before that point, and that life had never even begun so couldn't be ended.  And for the record, as my initial post read, I'm not totally against it - I do believe that the woman should have that choice.  But that choice is what it is - it's ending a life.  Let's call it what it is.
What relevant difference between the two makes a zygote alive but a sperm not alive?

In fact, a sperm outside its host body, with no medical procedures whatsoever, simply a proper environment to be released into, can live for like a week.  Can a zygote? 

What relevant difference between the two makes a zygote alive but a sperm not alive?
Oh, a sperm is alive, no doubt.  But it's not a live human, it's a live sperm.  In my mind, as stated above, the "human life" takes parts from both. 

I mean if you want to get more scientific about it, we are muticellular organisms, and the earliest developmental stage of any multicellular organism is as a zygote (not as a sperm, or as an egg).  That zygote has a genome, and that genome is the combination of the male and female - and contains all that is needed DNAwise to form a new individual, or a life.  That wasn't the case before fertilization. 

In fact, a sperm outside its host body, with no medical procedures whatsoever, simply a proper environment to be released into, can live for like a week.  Can a zygote? 
I always understood the timeframe to be closer to 48hours.  I guess I need to update my information base.  Time to do a bit of googling.

Mayo clinic says at least five days for sperm viability. Clearly Henry  knew more about this than I, again.  Actually Henry being better informed than I is something I more or less presume.  Smart cat, that Henry. Well informed.

Oh, a sperm is alive, no doubt.  But it's not a live human, it's a live sperm.  In my mind, as stated above, the "human life" takes parts from both. 

I mean if you want to get more scientific about it, we are muticellular organisms, and the earliest developmental stage of any multicellular organism is as a zygote (not as a sperm, or as an egg).  That zygote has a genome, and that genome is the combination of the male and female - and contains all that is needed DNAwise to form a new individual, or a life.  That wasn't the case before fertilization. 
So we can differentiate between “human”/“living” (because it’s human sperm and living) and a “human life”.  Good. Try to understand that many people don’t consider a “human life” to exist until there’s a functioning cerebral cortex. Or the organism can exist outside the gestating mother.  And those are legitimate viewpoints. And while I don’t expect to force either or both on you, neither do I expect you to force your decision on me. 

That’s really well written. 
Indeed.  I wonder if she always writes so well, or if this particular article is so well written because it was written by the years, by experience,  by life itself.  Is this eulogy, epitaph,  proclamation or manifesto?     

So we can differentiate between “human”/“living” (because it’s human sperm and living) and a “human life”.  Good. Try to understand that many people don’t consider a “human life” to exist until there’s a functioning cerebral cortex. Or the organism can exist outside the gestating mother.  And those are legitimate viewpoints. And while I don’t expect to force either or both on you, neither do I expect you to force your decision on me. 
I myself do not buy into artificial delineations along a continuum. Incredibly obvious guideposts along the way, sure, but minute delineations that are not even capable of clear definition, not so much.  That said I lack the certainty to want to impose my views on others.  In fact, even when I have certainty I do not seek to exercise dominion over others. I respect the autonomy and free will of others sufficiently that I allow that they should be allowed to make their own mistakes absent those decisions directly and significantly impacting me or mine.  The decisions here are not, in my view, appropriate for legislation.  They should be private except to those brought in to the decision by the mother. 

I tend to believe that these are sophistries, rationalizations grasped to assuage conflict and pain over crushingly difficult decisions.  that said, again, I am not so clear or certain in my position that I can judge others for these beliefs or that I would try to legislate my beliefs as correct imposing on the free will and choices of others whose life experience informs them that a choice needs be made.

People are free to believe whatever they want, but it's impossible not to force your own views about "human life" on other people.  Peter Singer, for example, has argued that personhood doesn't fully commence until the point of self-awareness, which is well over a year after birth.  It doesn't bother me at all to entertain that argument as an intellectual exercise, but I'm also totally comfortable forcing my own views on him by outlawing infanticide.  I imagine that you are as well.

Actually, this sort of phenomenon doesn't just apply to human beings.  There are people out there who don't believe that animals have any rights that merit respecting.  If somebody wants to argue that dog-fighting, for example, is good and just, I'll be happy to hear them out.  They're free to hold that belief and advocate for it.  But I'm going still going to force my own views on them in the form of animal cruelty legislation.  

I certainly didn't expect this...

Tomi Lahren‏ @TomiLahren 5h5 hours ago

I will be attacked by fellow conservatives for saying this but so be it, this Alabama abortion ban is too restrictive. It doesn’t save life, it simply forces women into more dangerous methods, other states or countries. You don’t encourage life via blanket government mandate!
I don't understand the pro-life view that its too restrictive. If you believe abortion is murder, what should you want the law to be?
I'll take it one step further.  If that many people really feel abortion is murdering babies why aren't their more people defending the lives of all these babies with more extreme measures?

I'll take it one step further.  If that many people really feel abortion is murdering babies why aren't their more people defending the lives of all these babies with more extreme measures?
I'd settle for just some legislation requiring the allocation of significant funds to help care for the pre-birth medical costs and post-birth reasonable and necessary costs of survival. That is, if we're going to force the pregnancy to go full time and protect the life of the unborn baby. Seems hypocritical to do anything but this. 

I think what is happening down at the border with separating children and parents with some never seeing each other again is a moral abomination...as do you I’m sure. Why aren’t we going down there and performing more “extreme measures”? 

I think what is happening down at the border with separating children and parents with some never seeing each other again is a moral abomination...as do you I’m sure. Why aren’t we going down there and performing more “extreme measures”? 
When folks feel empowered or justified in moving to extreme measures I expect tragedy, as I expect do you. 

When folks feel empowered or justified in moving to extreme measures I expect tragedy, as I expect do you. 
Absolutely. I was answering the silly canard of “if pro-life folks really feel it’s a life, why are they all so complacent and not rushing clinics?”  Dumb.

Maybe it if was happening in my town I would.

People are free to believe whatever they want, but it's impossible not to force your own views about "human life" on other people.  Peter Singer, for example, has argued that personhood doesn't fully commence until the point of self-awareness, which is well over a year after birth.  It doesn't bother me at all to entertain that argument as an intellectual exercise, but I'm also totally comfortable forcing my own views on him by outlawing infanticide.  I imagine that you are as well.

Actually, this sort of phenomenon doesn't just apply to human beings.  There are people out there who don't believe that animals have any rights that merit respecting.  If somebody wants to argue that dog-fighting, for example, is good and just, I'll be happy to hear them out.  They're free to hold that belief and advocate for it.  But I'm going still going to force my own views on them in the form of animal cruelty legislation.  
I used to agree with the bolded, but don't anymore. The vast majority of beliefs are fine (even if they are greatly disputed), but some beliefs are so bad that they need to be labeled unacceptable beliefs. For example, hating gays.

And if a person can't show mercy in their beliefs to the victim of rape, then I think they've crossed the line to their beliefs needing to be labeled unacceptable. Even when I was a born again evangelical, I believed rape victims should have the right to abort. 

Maybe it if was happening in my town I would.
😐 So inconvenient travel is where you draw your moral line.

Could it be something else perhaps? Living in a civil society...yadda yadda..,violence begetting more violence...yadda yadda.

😐 So inconvenient travel is where you draw your moral line.

Could it be something else perhaps? Living in a civil society...yadda yadda..,violence begetting more violence...yadda yadda.
I don't know, I am just surprised if people really feel this many babies are being murdered that there are more people taking extreme measures.  I didn't say it would be a good thing, I am just surprised.

I used to agree with the bolded, but don't anymore. The vast majority of beliefs are fine (even if they are greatly disputed), but some beliefs are so bad that they need to be labeled unacceptable beliefs. For example, hating gays.

And if a person can't show mercy in their beliefs to the victim of rape, then I think they've crossed the line to their beliefs needing to be labeled unacceptable. Even when I was a born again evangelical, I believed rape victims should have the right to abort. 
I think society does need to label some beliefs as unacceptable, but that is not the same as making them illegal. Using your example, you should be free to hate gay people so long as you don’t hurt anybody. But at the same time it’s perfectly appropriate for our public schools to teach our children that such views are wrong. 

But- issues regarding abortion do not fall into that category. All sides believe what they do for moral reasons but there are clear divides and it would be wrong for society to ever declare that one answer or the other is correct. 

And from a purely logical point of view, as @whoknew has pointed out, this makes no sense. If you believe that an abortion is the killing of an innocent child, how then does distinguishing the circumstances of the child’s birth “show mercy”? Why shouldn’t a baby born of rape have just as much right to live as any other baby? 

Just to clarify, though I think you understood my position - human sperm =/= human (in my mind).  It's a part needed to make a human, but by itself not a human - like an arm or leg, even though it may be "living tissue".

But see, you're going the other way with your examples above.  You're going beyond the moment of conception/fertilization to the point where it has a "functioning cerebral cortex" (2nd trimester) or can exist outside of the mother (generally 3rd trimester).  I can much more understand, and even agree, with that viewpoint that I can with people going the other direction from conception/fertilization as @FreeBaGeL did above saying "move back the starting point of life a few steps" (to the separated egg and sperm).  I can't wrap my head around that one, as there is no "human life" at that point to me. 

Also, and I think you know this a well, I'm not trying to force my decision on you or anyone.  You likely know that I'm pretty libertarian at heart - you do you and I'll do me philosophy.  I'm just stating what (I think) my thoughts on the subject are.

And from a purely logical point of view, as @whoknew has pointed out, this makes no sense. If you believe that an abortion is the killing of an innocent child, how then does distinguishing the circumstances of the child’s birth “show mercy”? Why shouldn’t a baby born of rape have just as much right to live as any other baby? 
Mercy isn't mutually exclusive to logic. 

You make the strangest arguments sometimes.  Of all people on this rock this guy was right at the top of the list for getting kicked off.
I wasn’t making any kind of argument. I was noting it because the guy used it in request for clemency. 

Personally I don’t know if I am for the death penalty. I’ve read all the arguments and I go back and forth. But based on what @Shula-holic wrote last night this particular subject seems like a good argument for. 

While totally unacceptable (we agree completely there), a person is still free to do it.  They are free to believe it, they just aren't free to act upon those beliefs.  Also, if they let those beliefs be known publicly, they should (and frankly need to) face the repercussions of those beliefs. 

Yeah, for the record, I strongly disagree with this.  Not looking to hijack the thread or anything, just noting that this is the kind of underlying disagreement that naturally tends to result in very divergent policy preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread