What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Abortion thread: (2 Viewers)

Also under this law; fetuses after 6 weeks are now legal citizens with full rights and to be used for population determined decisions for the state. 

This will obviously be going to the Supreme Court...

In terms of politics these legislators have just handed Democrats a huge gift- and not just in Georgia. Before yesterday, the issue of late term abortions was a winning one for Trump and conservatives- they could point to how extreme certain Democrats were on this subject and the public seemed to agree with them. Now, overnight, all of that has been reversed: it is Republicans who appear extreme, and powerful elements of the Democratic base are about to be more energized than they’ve been in decades. 

In terms of politics these legislators have just handed Democrats a huge gift- and not just in Georgia. Before yesterday, the issue of late term abortions was a winning one for Trump and conservatives- they could point to how extreme certain Democrats were on this subject and the public seemed to agree with them. Now, overnight, all of that has been reversed: it is Republicans who appear extreme, and powerful elements of the Democratic base are about to be more energized than they’ve been in decades. 
I was about to post something along these lines.  

In addition, pro-lifers understandably want to get an abortion case to the supreme court.  This is not the case they probably want.  A heartbeat bill without all the other stuff would provide a much cleaner avenue to overturn Roe and Casey than this bill does.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Does the bill have any provisions for rape/incest?  If not, I wonder what the prison sentence is for the rapist.  Hypothetically, a woman gets raped and pregnant and has an abortion. Would she get a longer prison sentence then the rapist?

Also, can a woman cross state lines to get an abortion?

Does the bill have any provisions for rape/incest?  If not, I wonder what the prison sentence is for the rapist.  Hypothetically, a woman gets raped and pregnant and has an abortion. Would she get a longer prison sentence then the rapist?

So far as I have been able to read, no exceptions. 

And if you truly believe that a fetus is a life, why should there be? I’ve always thought there is a logical disconnect for a person to be pro-life but make exceptions for rape or incest. 

Folks sure do like imposing their views through legislation.  We seem to have a great deal of concern for how others conduct themselves.  Perhaps we should be more concerned about how we conduct ourselves.

I wonder if any supporter of this legislation actually believes they have a victory here.  I suppose a few do.  They will cite that any baby saved is worth the effort, even if this goes down I defeat in the courts as it so inevitably will.   

Folks sure do like imposing their views through legislation.  We seem to have a great deal of concern for how others conduct themselves.  Perhaps we should be more concerned about how we conduct ourselves.

I wonder if any supporter of this legislation actually believes they have a victory here.  I suppose a few do.  They will cite that any baby saved is worth the effort, even if this goes down I defeat in the courts as it so inevitably will.   
Regardless of what anyone thinks of this particular bill, isn't the bolded pretty much true of most things?

I sure think so. that's why I phrased it generally, rather than specifically to this subject matter. We, as a society, sure do like to concern ourselves with others.
I agree with this- my pro choice position has always had a libertarian bent to it- but of course a pro- life person would argue that a fetus is a human being and therefore we should concern ourselves with its protection. 

The interesting part of this whole thing (to me anyway) is the "full rights" part.  So, if mom decides she's gonna smoke and drink through the pregnancy and it ends up being a major contributor to the infant's death, a deformity etc are they saying the mother could be prosecuted for her actions?

The interesting part of this whole thing (to me anyway) is the "full rights" part.  So, if mom decides she's gonna smoke and drink through the pregnancy and it ends up being a major contributor to the infant's death, a deformity etc are they saying the mother could be prosecuted for her actions?
What if the mother does not attend regular doctor visits or taking vitamins to help the fetus form into a healthy baby, would this be considered child abuse?  I know this is extreme but at the same point if a fetus has full rights, this could be construed within those rights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there an exemption

What about if the woman's life is being threatened by the baby?

What if the mother does not attend regular doctor visits or taking vitamins to help the fetus form into a healthy baby, would this be considered child abuse?  I know this is extreme but at the same point if a fetus has full rights, this could be construed within those rights.
Yeah....the "full rights" part of this thing seems really bizarre...this coming from a guy who isn't an abortion fan but understands why the laws are what they are.

They don't acquire the language skills to threaten anybody until about the 27th trimester.  Potentially complications from pregnancy could put the mother's health at risk.
LOL yeah putting the life of the mother in danger. Do you know if there is a provision for that?

GOP was already losing women, young women especially, in large numbers. Mainly over reproductive rights. This seems like something you would do to hasten that. It won't withstand legal challenge. It will be used against Republicans effectively across the country. They can't afford to tick off the evangelicals but you can't win with just them either. And women will come out to vote on this issue.

Curious about something, in response to the criminalization of crossing state lines to get an abortion:

Does anyone here know if there is anywhere in the U.S. to get a (a) medically safe but also (b) completely confidential abortion? Maybe even -- but not necessarily -- to the point that the pregnant woman never gives her name to the practitioner.

It would seem that, in practice, the state of Georgia would have no real means of enforcing the crossing-state-lines thing. First thing they would need is an ongoing registry of pregnant Georgia residents, updated in real time. And are they planning to have pregnant-women checkpoints at the various state borders?

An unintended consequence of this Georgia bill is that many women will delay in seeking pre-natal medical treatment once they suspect they are pregnant (home test kit, missed period, morning sickness, etc.). Women who want to retain their options probably won't want a medical paper trail confirming their pregnancy early on, HIPAA or no HIPAA. Meanwhile, fetal maladies that can be detected and treated in the womb go undiagnosed. Eptopic pregnancies, which are dangerous for the mother, will more often go undiagnosed, as well.

The bolded will be one of the consequences of this bill -- more mothers keeping suspected pregnancies on the downlow not getting pre-natal care.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
I'll never understand the R stance when it comes to abortion and poor people pumping out more poor people. One would think that they would be encouraging abortion. You certainly are not going to get the poor & stupid to understand and use birth control properly. We can see that is not working. They don't want to pay for them and neither do I so why wouldn't you be pro-abortion?

I'll never understand the R stance when it comes to abortion and poor people pumping out more poor people. One would think that they would be encouraging abortion. You certainly are not going to get the poor & stupid to understand and use birth control properly. We can see that is not working. They don't want to pay for them and neither do I so why wouldn't you be pro-abortion?
We have been successful with education and with making tools available. Teen pregnancy is way down. The average age a woman is having her first kid is way up.We are winning the battle when we are allowed to educate and provide tools. However many anti-abortion advocates are also anti-sex ed and anti-birth control. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand why they stopped at life imprisonment.   It seems that many Pro-Lifers are also for capital punishment so why not go all the way and send these Jezebels right to hell where they belong?
Exactly.  If you follow their line of thinking,  it is 1st degree premeditated murder. 

Also under this law; fetuses after 6 weeks are now legal citizens with full rights and to be used for population determined decisions for the state. 

This will obviously be going to the Supreme Court...

Are we sure about that? Is that obvious?

How in the world is this even constitutional?  

What's next?  The state of California arresting me because I went to Nevada and gambled?
My father lives in a dry county in MD.  It would be analogous to him being arrested for crossing the county line to buy a case of beer.  Only infinitely worse.

My father lives in a dry county in MD.  It would be analogous to him being arrested for crossing the county line to buy a case of beer.  Only infinitely worse.
Actually, it would be more like your father in law crossing the county line to go to a bar in a legal county, drink some beers at the bar, then heading back to his house and being arrested once crossing the county line for drinking (ignore the fact that there could be drunk driving laws pertaining to this analogy).

Users who are viewing this thread