What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A fetus is part of a woman’s body? (1 Viewer)

At conception and throughout pregnancy, the fetus is part of a woman’s body. IOW, a fetus is not a h

• I agree

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • I don’t agree

Votes: 32 52.5%
  • It depends (please explain)

Votes: 10 16.4%

• Total voters

BobbyLayne

Footballguy
At conception and throughout pregnancy, the fetus is part of a woman’s body. IOW, a fetus is not a human being, irrespective of viability outside the womb.

Saw this clip from CNN (sorry for the lack of context - IDK the woman who said it) on a friends InstaStory. He had a laughing emoji and LOL sticker plastered over it. The poll question is verbatim quote, and I think reflects how most Pro Choice folks feel. Curious if y’all agree.

viability has always been the turning point for me. a woman has a right to choose whether or not to host a zygote as much as any other infestation. there is still great argument what viability is, but it is what i base personhood upon.

My answer with most of these questions is simple: I don't know. Since I don't know, I think that choice should be left up to the person who has the fetus inside of them. If they make a wrong decision and there is a creator who considers it murder then that woman will face whatever consequence the creator deems suitable. 

So can you terminate the life of 1/2 of a siamese twin just cause you want to?

Not cause one needs to die to save the second but cause its inconvenient 

So can you terminate the life of 1/2 of a siamese twin just cause you want to?

Not cause one needs to die to save the second but cause its inconvenient 
Is this one of those “knives kill as many people as guns” type of arguments? Because I can’t get enough of those. 

When can a fetus survive without being in a womans body?
With or without NNICU? I’m not a physician but I presume every preemie goes into irrespective of socio-economic / insurance status? So, 4-1/2 months (my guesstimate, please correct If wrong)?

wikkidpissah said:
viability has always been the turning point for me. a woman has a right to choose whether or not to host a zygote as much as any other infestation. there is still great argument what viability is, but it is what i base personhood upon.
So if the fetus is medically “viable” the woman loses the right to determine how to deal with the infestation?

Seems the 'pro-science' crowd doesn't embracing basic genetics when it does not suit their agenda.  

Genetics?

eta - also, how can someone be "pro-science"
Yes, the different set of genetic make-up and separate neurological system shows the fetus is a different biological entity with its own self-awareness.   'pro-science' would be the opposite of 'anti-science' (also flat-earthers) which is an accusation often thrown out against the right, even on this very forum.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the different set of genetic make-up and separate neurological system shows the fetus is a different biological entity with its own self-awareness.   'pro-science' would be the opposite of 'anti-science' (also flat-earthers) which is an accusation often thrown out against the right, even on this very forum.  
You think a 4-celled embryo has self-awareness?   

At some point well prior to birth it does.
No, a 4-celled embryo does not have self awareness, Linnaeus. At some point after developing a brain stem, perhaps.   But that’s biology, not genetics.  Genetics has nothing to do with it.  Most will simply stop dividing and be flushed out of the body of by their host.  

backtracking and claims of persecution to come.

No, a 4-celled embryo does not have self awareness, Linnaeus. At some point after developing a brain stem, perhaps.   But that’s biology, not genetics.  Genetics has nothing to do with it.

Backtracking?   :lmao: ...what a trollish approach.   Defining and limiting a fetus to being four cells is just stupid....goodnight.  

Of all the fields of science to choose, I think you whiffed on genetics.  Nobody is arguing that a fetus doesn't inherit genes.  

Still no idea what you are talking about again with the anti/pro science stuff.  Like saying you are pro or anti economics.  I don't get it.

Of all the fields of science to choose, I think you whiffed on genetics.  Nobody is arguing that a fetus doesn't inherit genes.  

Still no idea what you are talking about again with the anti/pro science stuff.  Like saying you are pro or anti economics.  I don't get it.
:lmao: ...goodnight.  

Backtracking?   :lmao: ...what a trollish approach.   Defining and limiting a fetus to being four cells is just stupid....goodnight.  
"Basic genetics" is happening at the 4 cell level good buddy.

But again.. I think this isn't what you meant to mean.

"Basic genetics" is happening at the 4 cell level good buddy.

But again.. I think this isn't what you meant to mean.
I meant exactly what I said, and you very well understand that the mother's genes are different than the fetuses.  And you want to ignore 99 percent of time the fetus is in the womb.  If you want to play ignorant while making the debate personal, forget it.  I am sick of this #### here. 

I meant exactly what I said, and you very well understand that the mother's genes are different than the fetuses.  And you want to ignore 99 percent of time the fetus is in the womb.  If you want to play ignorant while making the debate personal, forget it.  I am sick of this #### here. 
Yes - I know full well what you are trying to say.  Unfortunately, I think you are saying it wrong.  Which is why I asked about the use of "basic genetics".

No, a 4-celled embryo does not have self awareness, Linnaeus. At some point after developing a brain stem, perhaps.   But that’s biology, not genetics.  Genetics has nothing to do with it.  Most will simply stop dividing and be flushed out of the body of by their host.  

You were off on the backtracking part

He didn't backtrack.  He specifically asked about a 4 celled embryo, and you dodged the question, then accused him of backtracking.  Sad!

Sorry, you're correct, that was fish.  You did dodge the question though.
He did not ask a question.  He made a point that a 4 cell embryo does not have a neurological system.  Ok fine, whatever.   But a 4-week old fetus does have one which is well into development.   We are discussing the whole pregnancy, not just the first few days.  

A rhetorical one.  
You claimed that due to “genetics” (meaning the combination of the parents DNA) there was a separate entity with a separate neurological system and self awareness.   If your statement was accurate, then a 4-cell embryo has self awareness.  Asking you to close the loop on your argument isn’t rhetorical at all.  Turns out, you didn’t actually mean what you said and there is a different line (probably closer to viability).  

Backtracking and claims of persecution are just a bonus of watching you flail at yet another argument.

You claimed that due to “genetics” (meaning the combination of the parents DNA) there was a separate entity with a separate neurological system and self awareness.   If your statement was accurate, then a 4-cell embryo has self awareness.  Asking you to close the loop on your argument isn’t rhetorical at all.  Turns out, you didn’t actually mean what you said and there is a different line (probably closer to viability).  

Backtracking and claims of persecution are just a bonus of watching you flail at yet another argument.
You are talking about an embryo.  A fetus, which was the term I used, is generally considered to be after 8 weeks.  So while you are trying to find some way to attack my intelligence you have to change what I said.  Kind of ironic in a way.  Why can't you guys have an intelligent conversation instead of trying to play all these bull #### games?  

You're continuing to dodge the question.  You kinda somewhat acknowledged that yes maybe the four celled embryo doesn't have self awareness, but for some reason you haven't outright stated it.

You're continuing to dodge the question.  You kinda somewhat acknowledged that yes maybe the four celled embryo doesn't have self awareness, but for some reason you haven't outright stated it.
I absolutely acknowledged his point twice now.  And I also politely pointed out he completely misrepresented what I said in his silly ad hoc comments.   This forum can be really pathetic.   There are very little intelligent discussions and countless ad hoc attacks and no acknowledgement of what absolute jerks people are.  It is mostly partisan non-sense.  

Yes the fetus is genetically different than the mom. It is also attached to the mom and is breathing, feeding from the mom. So it is more complicated than just being genetically unique.

Users who are viewing this thread