What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DMB .. yes, this is the Dave Matthews Band thread (1 Viewer)

Ray Barboni

Footballguy
C’mon now ... I’ve been mostly a lurker for years now. Pretty much figured out the demographic here - seems like there should be at least a few Dave fans around here.

lets share our favorite songs, concert experience’s etc.. 

I’ve been to ~ 20 Dave shows over the last 15 years - July 9th he’s going to be in one of his favorite venues ... DTE (pine knob) northern Michigan. 

#41 is my all time favorite .. 

So, DMB fans ... please chime in here 😎

Crush

Stone 

2 step

warehouse 

say goodbye

one of the best live show bands ever. Sad they’ve lost some key members - 

but still. As long as Dave is there? Amazing music 🎵 

I like DMB. 

I would not say that I am a capital F - Fan, but I enjoy their music. 

I have only seen them live once - Farm Aid in Louisville - 90s - and I really enjoyed their set. 

I listened to them a lot back in the 90s.   Crash,  Under the Table, and Crowded Streets have never left my ipod playlists.   (I did selectively edit a couple of songs off Crowded Streets.)  That said, I haven't even listened to their last 3 releases.  Any thoughts on those?

I respect Dave, and have seen him live 10-12 times. The more notable shows at The Gorge. The dude is amazingly talented, and plays with good musicians. The downside is that he hasn't put out a great album in at least 10-15 years (besides his solo work), and the fans are insufferable - Ultimate bros. 

If I had to take two songs of his with me, I'd say Two Step and All Along The Watchtower.

:shoots:

"Still moving!"

:shoots again:

"Did we get it?"

"Still ####### moving!"

"One last time?!"

"Yeah!"

"Okay, got 'em!"

"Thank ####### God!"

Okay, I like a few Dave songs.  Carry on.  

How bad is DMB? I dumped a ballerina because she insisted I come to a Dave Matthews concert. 

Ok she actually insisted I spend a month of the summer following them around but you get the idea. 

I didn’t get into them till the late 90’s, but i listened to them about as much as anyone for a 5-year stretch. A shame they’ve lost their way over the years, but those early albums are great, with Before These Crowded Streets being an all-timer. 

Growing up in VA in the 90s, you pretty much had to be a fan.  Probably been to ~10 shows over the years.  Haven't listened to any of their newer stuff. 

I respect Dave, and have seen him live 10-12 times. The more notable shows at The Gorge. The dude is amazingly talented, and plays with good musicians. The downside is that he hasn't put out a great album in at least 10-15 years (besides his solo work), and the fans are insufferable - Ultimate bros. 

If I had to take two songs of his with me, I'd say Two Step and All Along The Watchtower.
Best version of "All along the Watchtower" ever, ever, ever.

I’ve been to one concert in my 20s because all my friends loved him. It was fun. 2 step is my favorite song, grey street is good too. 

In fairness to the band, they’ve been dropping #### on crowds of people for decades, and nobody has really complained before. 
I heard Dave spends his summers urinating in the ears of his fans, but the same bros keep coming back.  

Big DMB fan now.  Going to 2 shows this summer (Sac and Chase Center).  Planning on hitting the Gorge next summer (2020). 

Absolutely hated them in college (graduated in '98).  I didn't hate the music (actually didn't even really know their music), I just hated that every "bro" loved them, and plus I am more of a hip-hop head than alt rock. 

But my wife changed it all for me.  She's been a huge fan since '94, and me wanting to get to know her more (when we were dating), I tried listening to DMB.  I really started to like them.  And now there isn't a day that goes by that I don't listen to a song from their catalog. 

Say Goodbye from the Best Of What's Around cd is my favorite DMB song.  He sings with such passion and emotion, it's the song that hooked me. 

My second favorite is Lie In Our Graves from the Dave and Tim show at Radio City Music Hall.

And while the entire Central Park cd is awesome, the Dancing Nancies/Warehouse renditions are just fantastic.

Loved DMB all through college and still listened beyond.  I've seen them live once. 

Is there any comp to DMB? 

We did a top 5 bands a while ago and I should have listed them.

Apple Jack said:
I did get a little carried away with my blanket statement.. on "All along the Watchtower"  as the best version ever, ever, ever.    should have written IMHO.

sorry, I'm trying to abide.

Seriously shuke or others, come by tonight, I have two bottles of Johnny blue; lots of beer; and lots of cigars; and my family is sleeping. 

whoknew said:
One of their best songs, for sure. 

NutterButter said:
I actually prefer Coffin a lot more.   That guy can just jam.   Remember seeing him in the the Flecktones a few times and thinking I'd like to have him in the DMB.   
Coffin is great, but the problem for him in regards to DMB is that both albums they have done since he became a full time member were bland.  I am sure they still do the long jams live, but they rarely stretch out instrumentally on studio albums anymore, and they have suffered because of it. 

I listened to them a lot back in the 90s.   Crash,  Under the Table, and Crowded Streets have never left my ipod playlists.   (I did selectively edit a couple of songs off Crowded Streets.)  That said, I haven't even listened to their last 3 releases.  Any thoughts on those?
Nothing compares to the early albums ... but his latest release, “Come Tomorrow” has some decent tracks. Sorta reminds me of the “busted stuff” album with Greystreet, Raven etc ..

2 of my favs from that album are:

Samurai Cop

https://youtu.be/4LlQwTgB5Rc

Idea of you 

https://youtu.be/o77kTtbH5UY

If you’re a Dave fan, these 2 remind me the most of the old stuff 

Last edited by a moderator:
Some good and some really bad.  I'm a partial fan.  

Never seen live; bet that would change my opinion.  
Seeing him live would really change your mind, IMHO

I started as a casual, “meh” fan way back when - but then I went to my first show. Just really great music. No opening act, dude plays for 3 straight hours - and gives at least 2 encores. Pouts his heart out on the stage.

He tours every summer. You should catch a show - 

One of their best songs, for sure. 

Coffin is great, but the problem for him in regards to DMB is that both albums they have done since he became a full time member were bland.  I am sure they still do the long jams live, but they rarely stretch out instrumentally on studio albums anymore, and they have suffered because of it. 
I pretty much only listen to the live stuff and even then I'm cherry picking.  Occasionally I'll stumble upon a good new song if I happen to be playing a show through.  The DMB really is a band that needs to be listened to live.   That's where they do by far their best work.  Even the ok songs can be really enjoyable if they throw in a nice jam. And for quite a few songs, they go through such an evolution over a few tours where the studio version just pales in comparison to what they're playing on tour.    

NutterButter said:
I pretty much only listen to the live stuff and even then I'm cherry picking.  Occasionally I'll stumble upon a good new song if I happen to be playing a show through.  The DMB really is a band that needs to be listened to live.   That's where they do by far their best work.  Even the ok songs can be really enjoyable if they throw in a nice jam. And for quite a few songs, they go through such an evolution over a few tours where the studio version just pales in comparison to what they're playing on tour.    
I get this line of thinking, but for me, while the long live jams are fun to throw on once in a while, they aren't something I want to hear all the time.  For example, Jimi Thing is one of those songs they seemingly always turn into a 15-minute plus live song, and as a fan of the song, I usually just want to hear and enjoy the song without having to dedicate that much time to it, so I will almost always opt for the studio version, which is aces. 

I am by and large a studio album guy.  There are probably 25-30 songs in my entire collection where my go-to version of a song is a live one, with U2 probably having half of those, and DMB having maybe 4-5 (JTR, One Sweet World, Minarets, The Song That Jane Likes and maybe When the World Ends). 

I'll be honest with you, I love his music, I do, I'm a DMB fan. For my money, it doesn't get any better than when he sings "When a Man Loves a Woman"

Users who are viewing this thread