What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Telvin Smith not playing in 2019 (1 Viewer)

That is an absolute bomb.  Best wishes to him, hope it's nothing majorly fubar, but man is this gonna create ripples.

Does this give Jack a huge bump?  I think so.  I would be trying to acquire him before people realize it. 

Don Quixote said:
I guess not him then.

Seeing some speculation that they could move Jack to Smith's spot, and start Jake Ryan at middle.  
I think they drafted Quincy in part as a plan b in the event they didnt retain Telvin next season. He probably isnt going to be ready in September, but if he makes noise in July take notice. Otherwise your scenario is the most likely. 

Don Quixote said:
I guess not him then.

Seeing some speculation that they could move Jack to Smith's spot, and start Jake Ryan at middle.  
Start?  Maybe.  3 down LB?  No way.

Jake Ryan just doesn't have the speed to go sideline to sideline.  Even if he starts I'm skeptical he'd be a great fantasy option.

BuckeyeChaos said:
LOL, what kind of league do you play in. Do they live off the grid  or something?
I meant in trade.....not off the waivers.  See if you could low ball (he has vastly underperformed to date and owner may have soured).  Probably not going to happen now. 

ETA:  Our league season ends one week after the Super Bowl and starts back up June 1st.  Some people do actually take a break a break from the fake football for a couple months. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I meant in trade.....not off the waivers.  See if you could low ball (he has vastly underperformed to date and owner may have soured).  Probably not going to happen now. 

ETA:  Our league season ends one week after the Super Bowl and starts back up June 1st.  Some people do actually take a break a break from the fake football for a couple months. 
If the Jack owner isn't a fish then you're wasting your time.  If the Jack owner is a fish then he should always be at the top of your speed dial anyway.  Taking advantage of fish is not new game theory. 

Does this give Jack a huge bump?  I think so.  I would be trying to acquire him before people realize it. 
I added him in one league but I don't think it's a huge bump.

Another thing to keep in mind - well, 9,750,000 things.  That's his salary for 2019.  Is he really going to forgo that?  Not really buying it.

I think they drafted Quincy in part as a plan b in the event they didnt retain Telvin next season. He probably isnt going to be ready in September, but if he makes noise in July take notice. Otherwise your scenario is the most likely. 
Where does this come from?  He's signed for 3 more years, and if he doesn't play this year that tolls and that remains 3.  He's playing at an extremely high level, so I can't imagine they want to move on from him?

I'm bumping Jack a bit.  

And man, in one of my dynasty leagues I am effin' CURSED.  I've received both Kareem Hunt (exactly 24 hours before the big news came out) AND Smith from the SAME OWNER.  Cursed!

NFL Rookies Who Already Look Like Draft-Day Steals   

Quincy Williams, OLB, Jacksonville Jaguars

...  After Telvin Smith stunned the Jags with his announcement that he intends to take the 2019 season off, Jacksonville was left with a massive hole at weak-side linebacker. And while the Jags likely didn't expect Williams to play a major role as a rookie, the 98th overall pick out of tiny Murray State has done his best in the early-going to answer the call.

As Daniel Popper wrote for the Athletic, Williams' showing in Jacksonville's mandatory minicamp in mid-June made a positive impression on one of the team's defensive leaders.

"He's a playmaker," defensive end Calais Campbell said. "He finds the ball. To me, instincts are where you can find the ball. When it's not your play to make, you still know how to get over the top of it and still know how to get to where the ball is. Marcell Dareus's best (attribute) is that he has incredible instincts. He just has a nose for the ball. It finds him, it seems like. Quincy has some of those same characteristics. He's not on Marcell's level. Marcell is at a different level. But he might be one day. He's a rookie. He's just scratching the surface."

Williams doesn't have to be a world-beater—if he becomes even an adequate starter for the Jaguars in 2019, the youngster will be a lifesaver.

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet

Sources: #Jaguars LB Quincy Williams, the third-round pick who has been impressing in camp, is out 4-6 weeks with a slight tear in his meniscus. He’ll need arthroscopic surgery to trim it. Given the timing, he won’t miss much game time.

12:39 PM - 1 Aug 2019

So the guy was moved to the reserve/retired list the best I can tell.  MFL leagues are allowing him to be placed on an IR spot.  That seems odd.  That's the same list that Luck was placed on, right?

Looks to me like both are labeled "out" on mfl. I have some leagues that will allow that on ir, some not. I'd guess tho, that Smith is on a "reserved/did not report" list, whereas luck officially retired. 

Looks to me like both are labeled "out" on mfl. I have some leagues that will allow that on ir, some not. I'd guess tho, that Smith is on a "reserved/did not report" list, whereas luck officially retired. 
Smith is on the reserve/retired list.  Same list as Luck.  Luck "officially retired", but both are on the same actual list. 

I check news articles a out once per month.  I expect to drop Smith next time I need a roster spot at this point - everything points to him staying retired.  When he didn’t return right after Coughlin left, that was probably the end of the story.

Jeepers...what's wrong with this guy?

Jaguars LB Telvin Smith was arrested in Jacksonville on Wednesday.

Smith was arrested and charged with "unlawful sexual activity with certain minors," per the Duval County Jail website. Slapped with an $88,000 fine for blowing off mini-camp and stepping away from football to "get his world in order" last year, Smith is still on Jacksonville's roster since he never officially filed his retirement papers through league offices. His bond was set at at $50,003.

Users who are viewing this thread