What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Terrible optics for Boston Red Sox visit to White House: every white player is going; every black and Hispanic player (except for Cuban JD Martinez) i (1 Viewer)

For Cora, a Caguas, Puerto Rico, native, it's the administration's widely-criticized response to the devastation caused by Hurricane Maria, which left nearly 3,000 people dead in 2017. Cora said he did not "feel comfortable" celebrating at the White House.

"Unfortunately, we are still struggling, still fighting. Some people still lack basic necessities, others remain without electricity and many homes and schools are in pretty bad shape almost a year and a half after Hurricane Maria struck," Cora told Puerto Rican Spanish-language newspaper El Nuevo Día.

"Even though the United States Government has helped, there's still a long road ahead and that is OUR reality. I've used my voice on many occasions so that Puerto Ricans are not forgotten and my absence (from the White House) is no different. As such, at this moment, I don't feel comfortable celebrating in the White House," Cora said.

Hey, maybe it's just terrible optics for the black and hispanic players.
Seriously, can anyone blame them for opting out after Trump's arguably racist statements about minorities and people of color? Attending and having your picture taken with him is a tacit approval of him and/or his policies (rightfully or wrongfully it would be viewed that way).

Seriously, can anyone blame them for opting out after Trump's arguably racist statements about minorities and people of color? Attending and having your picture taken with him is a tacit approval of him and/or his policies (rightfully or wrongfully it would be viewed that way).
No, attending is showing respect for the office of the Presidency. That doesn’t mean you support the President.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, attending is showing respect for the office of the Presidency. That doesn’t mean you support the President.
I agreed with this argument when it came to the Presidential Medal of Freedom, but I don't agree with you here. I draw a distinction between the two: here there is no formal award.

IMO, President Trump caused this, not simply through his comments about minorities (and Puerto Rico in particular), but because he has deliberately politicized what was traditionally a non political event.

Simple solution, then: Let the players all congregate in the Oval Office with Melania when the President is out of town. They can show respect for the office without it being interpreted as support for him.

When the POTUS himself makes a mockery of the office it is extremely difficult to respect it.  
Also it’s respectful to politely decline if you don’t want to go with a certain person in office.  That is respecting the office.

Cool. I’d show up, scarf down a bunch of food and then dip. “Thanks for the McNuggets, Donnie.  Smell ya later.”
Good for you, that doesn’t surprise me. Maybe bring a bag so you can carry out some of that delicious food. Try not and double dip though...that’s not classy.

You're right..the Red Sox look like a team with no team unity whatsoever.  No wonder they are playing .500 ball and looking very poor this year.
I didn't write that, and I don't believe it. I'm pretty sure the players get along fine.

But I do think there is a bigger issue here involving the white players, and white people in general in this country: there are millions of white people in America who know Donald Trump is a bigot, don't agree with him, but don't care enough about the issue to make a big deal about it. I suspect that many of the white players on the team fall into this category. I suspect many white Republicans in general fall into this category. It's disturbing to me.  They should care, IMO.

I didn't write that, and I don't believe it. I'm pretty sure the players get along fine.

But I do think there is a bigger issue here involving the white players, and white people in general in this country: there are millions of white people in America who know Donald Trump is a bigot, don't agree with him, but don't care enough about the issue to make a big deal about it. I suspect that many of the white players on the team fall into this category. I suspect many white Republicans in general fall into this category. It's disturbing to me.  They should care, IMO.
How on earth could you be "pretty sure the players get along fine"  Whatever you wrote after that I am not reading.  Seriously...

There is always the one person that thinks he knows everything.....Oy

Your broad brush generalizations get worse each day. 

How on earth could you be "pretty sure the players get along fine"  Whatever you wrote after that I am not reading.  Seriously...
I heard an inside reporter from ESPN say it this morning. That's where I got it from.  I don't follow the Red Sox closely but I don't see why ESPN would lie about it.

Also, there's not a long history of baseball teams that win the World Series when their players don't get along.  I guess the Oakland A's of the early 70s, can't think of too many other examples.

Just noodling here but...

If I found out that a large number of non-white students (and/or their parents) at my school didn’t want to be in my class I’d have to take a long, hard look at myself.   And I probably wouldn’t start complaining about how they “don’t respect teachers”.

And his base of "enthusiast" will blame the players rather than lay the blame at the feet of where it belongs.  This has happened to no other president, but of course it's not Trump's fault.

Nope, literally nothing ever is to his "enthusiast." 

Just noodling here but...

If I found out that a large number of non-white students (and/or their parents) at my school didn’t want to be in my class I’d have to take a long, hard look at myself.   And I probably wouldn’t start complaining about how they “don’t respect teachers”.
But what if you had a cult following who told you it was all the students being biased against you?

If I were on the team I would be very upset that the rest of team decided to make a political statement by refusing to go.   Most Americans should view the players and managers who don't go in a poorer light, I certainly do.

And his base of "enthusiast" will blame the players rather than lay the blame at the feet of where it belongs.  This has happened to no other president, but of course it's not Trump's fault.

Nope, literally nothing ever is to his "enthusiast." 

But what if you had a cult following who told you it was all the students being biased against you?
I don’t teach math but I’ve heard of something called a “common denominator”.

If I were on the team I would be very upset that the rest of team decided to make a political statement by refusing to go.   Most Americans should view the players and managers who don't go in a poorer light, I certainly do.
But you are a big supporter of President Trump.

Let me offer you an awful nightmare fantasy: let's suppose Louis Farrakhan joined the Democratic Party tomorrow and campaigned for President. Somehow he wins the nomination. Somehow he wins the Presidency.  As President, he continues to attack Jews and white people as "devils". Would you mind if white and Jewish athletes refused to meet with him? Would it bother you if black athletes DID meet with him, and expressed their support?

Seems this is a cause for celebration.

And now, because a white ball player, who has dreamt about meeting the President his whole life and seeing the white house, will be called nothing but a racist because he wants to go.

This is what the left is doing.  It's utterly horrible--I want no part of this progressive thinking by the democratic party.   I'm totally at a loss about how to even go forward in this political mess we have now..Its two ugly sides.

Most of the Eagles' players refused to go following their SB win, yet there was never a bad word coming from the locker room last year. Nothing but unity and love for one another.

But you are a big supporter of President Trump.

Let me offer you an awful nightmare fantasy: let's suppose Louis Farrakhan joined the Democratic Party tomorrow and campaigned for President. Somehow he wins the nomination. Somehow he wins the Presidency.  As President, he continues to attack Jews and white people as "devils". Would you mind if white and Jewish athletes refused to meet with him? Would it bother you if black athletes DID meet with him, and expressed their support?
This isn't even close to the same thing and you know it.  Trump is not a racist and has nothing against blacks or hispanics.

Could you imagine if somebody like the Vice President went to an NFL game (funded by taxpayers to the tune of $300K)  and then walked out of the game to make a political statement?   

Nah, that would never happen.

Most of the Eagles' players refused to go following their SB win, yet there was never a bad word coming from the locker room last year. Nothing but unity and love for one another.
I guarantee players felt the way I did but didn't state it publicly for understandable reasons.  I am on a public message board so I feel comfortable speaking the truth.

This isn't even close to the same thing and you know it.  Trump is not a racist and has nothing against blacks or hispanics.
Rather than argue the point, let me ask: do you deny the fact that many blacks and Hispanics absolutely believe that Trump is bigoted against them?

I guarantee players felt the way I did but didn't state it publicly for understandable reasons.  I am on a public message board so I feel comfortable speaking the truth.
If they felt it, it wasn't a dividing issue.

Trump is not a racist and has nothing against blacks or hispanics.
57% of Americans believe Trump is a racist. Nearly 90% of blacks believe Trump is a racist.

https://1069thefox.com/news/030030-poll-most-americans-say-trump-is-racist/

Now that doesn't make them right and you wrong. But if blacks honestly believe this, how can you blame them for not wanting to meet with him? Would you be willing to meet with a President that you honestly believed was bigoted against you?

WTF does someone care about this one way or the other?  :lmao:

You guys are just looking for things to be offended about.  Good Grief!
I'm not looking to be offended.

And sure, it's not an issue that is as important as climate change, or healthcare, or trade.  But it's an interesting issue; why should we need other qualifiers?

Users who are viewing this thread