What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why should we care about people that can't afford healthcare? (1 Viewer)

Seems a bit provocative as I assume you do care. But here's the most basic reason, it's the morally right thing to do. And for you Christians out Jesus has commanded you to do it. So there you go.

Seems a bit provocative as I assume you do care. But here's the most basic reason, it's the morally right thing to do. And for you Christians out Jesus has commanded you to do it. So there you go.
I think there's a less altruistic reason to care also.* I don't have studies to support this but it seems like a country is a lot more stable when everyone has their basic needs met. 

*I agree with you. I just know not everyone does.

I think there's a less altruistic reason to care also.* I don't have studies to support this but it seems like a country is a lot more stable when everyone has their basic needs met. 

*I agree with you. I just know not everyone does.
They get the care eventually, whether they have the money to pay or not. They’ll have a heart attack or whatever and go to the ER and get some incredible bill they can’t pay. 

If we can get everyone to visit doctors throughout life and take care of themselves along the way it should, in theory, reduce the cost down the road of a more expensive procedure. Of course they still may have a heart attack that needs to be paid for, but I’d rather cover $250 a year (my estimate, no info available) for a doctor visit and maybe prescriptions for 50 years ($12500) than an ER visit, hospital stay, etc, plus whatever else they may have needed treatment for over the years. Avg heart attack cost for uninsured person is $53,000+ (2011). Link

From a public health perspective I think we benefit if people are being treated for illnesses rather than have them coughing on all the produce at the grocery store. It’s not that I care so much about them, but I care about me and my family. 

Last edited by a moderator:
They get the care eventually, whether they have the money to pay or not. They’ll have a heart attack or whatever and go to the ER and get some incredible bill they can’t pay. 

If we can get everyone to visit doctors throughout life and take care of themselves along the way it should, in theory, reduce the cost down the road of a more expensive procedure. Of course they still may have a heart attack that needs to be paid for, but I’d rather cover $250 a year (my estimate, no info available) for a doctor visit and maybe prescriptions for 50 years ($12500) than an ER visit, hospital stay, etc, plus whatever else they may have needed treatment for over the years. Avg heart attack cost for uninsured person is $53,000+ (2011). Link

From a public health perspective I think we benefit if people are being treated for illnesses rather than have them coughing on all the produce at the grocery store. It’s not that I care so much about them, but I care about me and my family. 
Exactly this.  People who are sick enough will not just roll over and die, they'll get care starting at the ED and once there they're in the system and will be a massive resource drain.  We all pay for their care through higher insurance rates that hospitals need to cover the uninsured.

Give these people insurance and maybe they'll get help before they turn into train wrecks and end up costing the system a lot less money overall.  A lot less. 

Snorkelson said:
If we can get everyone to visit doctors throughout life and take care of themselves along the way it should, in theory, reduce the cost down the road of a more expensive procedure
This is demonstrably false and a simple Google search will reveal that. For example: Preventive Care Saves Money? Sorry, It’s Too Good to Be True

Better care throughout life extends life but does not preclude expensive medical conditions, whether end of life conditions or other (e.g., cancer). It is obvious that extending life will increase overall medical cost.

That doesn't mean we should not advocate for better care and extending life. But it does not save money.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread