What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Matt Waldman is Tremendous (1 Viewer)

TripItUp

Footballguy
Matt first caught my ear when I heard him on Chris Harris’ podcast last year and later I was able to participate in a FBG sponsored “expert” auction with him.  

Anyhow, I just heard Matt’s breakdown of rookies on the “Daily Fantasy Edge”podcast  and it was easily the most informative summary I’ve heard on this class of rookies and I basically watch and listen to everything ff/football betting. 

Just wanted to give Matt props for the informed insight.  If you don’t follow him on Twitter he should be an instant follow. 

BTW Matt if you read this, totally agree on Hakeem Butler.  

People will beat on him because he has his misses, but so does everyone. I think people tend to forget the status quo misses more than the guy who forges his own unique path. I like his work because he is not afraid of going against the grain and his work suggests that a underheralded prospect deserves a top ranking he puts it on paper.

His breakout call on Allen Robinson in 2015 probably won me four figures all by itself.  :hifive:

But beyond his opinions, he's really gotten me to understand the layers of technique that go into every single play in the NFL. I never truly appreciated how relatively middling athletes like Keenan Allen or Le'Veon Bell can be such freaking studs until I started digging into Waldman's work and getting frame-by-frame explanations of how things like route-running, handwork, and vision are every bit as important as size, speed and agility.

BTW - he's also a frequent guest on FBG's own Audible podcast. Definitely give that one a subscribe if you haven't already.  :thumbup:

I like Matt Waldman for what he does. The problem is that what he does - film analysis - is so subjective and the college player being assessed is playing against not NFL level talent in most instances. So while it has value, I think combining film study with analytics and college production is important. I like Waldman because he truly is the most independent analyst out there. I just think only film grinding is missing a big part of determining NFL success.

People will beat on him because he has his misses, but so does everyone. I think people tend to forget the status quo misses more than the guy who forges his own unique path. I like his work because he is not afraid of going against the grain and his work suggests that a underheralded prospect deserves a top ranking he puts it on paper.
People who focus on the "hits" and "misses" fail to appreciate the true value of what he's providing.  Can't stress this enough.  He hates rankings, but puts them in and slots guys accordingly because he knows that's what people want.  But, the real value is in having an expert observer characterize player strengths and weaknesses and make some educated guesses on what conditions would translate into success for the player and what areas need more work.  I've been following Waldman and downloading the RSP since 2012.  Always love his work, but perhaps his most illuminating work was a reanalysis of Dak Prescott a few years back, revealing a lot about his process and how it can be helpful to me, not so much in trumping my own perceptions but making me appreciate facets of a player's game that I most certainly would miss (both good and bad).

People who focus on the "hits" and "misses" fail to appreciate the true value of what he's providing.  Can't stress this enough.  He hates rankings, but puts them in and slots guys accordingly because he knows that's what people want.  But, the real value is in having an expert observer characterize player strengths and weaknesses and make some educated guesses on what conditions would translate into success for the player and what areas need more work.  I've been following Waldman and downloading the RSP since 2012.  Always love his work, but perhaps his most illuminating work was a reanalysis of Dak Prescott a few years back, revealing a lot about his process and how it can be helpful to me, not so much in trumping my own perceptions but making me appreciate facets of a player's game that I most certainly would miss (both good and bad).
:goodposting:

I don't pay any attention to him and thusly am never critical of him or praise him. What little of him I've watched I do appreciate his detail and it's obvious he puts in the work.

I do think maybe the times people do like pointing out his mistakes is backlash from people constantly backing up their opinions with "Waldman said".

His breakout call on Allen Robinson in 2015 probably won me four figures all by itself.  :hifive:

But beyond his opinions, he's really gotten me to understand the layers of technique that go into every single play in the NFL. I never truly appreciated how relatively middling athletes like Keenan Allen or Le'Veon Bell can be such freaking studs until I started digging into Waldman's work and getting frame-by-frame explanations of how things like route-running, handwork, and vision are every bit as important as size, speed and agility.

BTW - he's also a frequent guest on FBG's own Audible podcast. Definitely give that one a subscribe if you haven't already.  :thumbup:
LeVeon Bell is as elite as it gets in explosiveness for his size. 

Matt Waldman reminds me of the kid that works harder than anybody else on the Basketball team and he's a starter but he's the 5th best starter and probably reached his peak. Nothing wrong with that just not sure he gives you much of an edge over elite FF players. 

Yes every year. Google waldmans rookie scouting portfolio.  Well worth the money 

Last edited by a moderator:
menobrown said:
I don't pay any attention to him and thusly am never critical of him or praise him. What little of him I've watched I do appreciate his detail and it's obvious he puts in the work.

I do think maybe the times people do like pointing out his mistakes is backlash from people constantly backing up their opinions with "Waldman said".
Lazy people that dont do their homework and just copy the smart kid are also lazy enough to blame that smart kid if they get something wrong. 

Lazy people that dont do their homework and just copy the smart kid are also lazy enough to blame that smart kid if they get something wrong. 
I agree with Meno. I've had several instances in here where I'm disagreeing about a player and someone goes, "so you think Matt Waldman is wrong?!" or "so you know more than Waldman?" It isnt everyone, but it happens.often enough. I dont buy his stuff because I think he can really fall in love with a few guys. And that's fine, it's his thing he can do what he wants. You can tell the guys who buy his stuff because they're are still very high on Butler. 

He has his misses like everyone else, but no one wants to think he can miss. His stuff is very comprehensive and well done. Nothing like it out there, for sure. But it's another resource, that's all. 

I certainly appreciate his work and his willingness to be totally independent. However, I think pure film study stuff has its limitations and he’s sure put his reputation on the line with some of his takes: Lamar Jackson was the best pocket passer in the 2018 class and Hakeem Butler is the best WR prospect he’s ever seen. I will say I laughed at his praise for Goff after his rookie year but it looks a lot better now.

I agree with Meno. I've had several instances in here where I'm disagreeing about a player and someone goes, "so you think Matt Waldman is wrong?!" or "so you know more than Waldman?" It isnt everyone, but it happens.often enough. I dont buy his stuff because I think he can really fall in love with a few guys. And that's fine, it's his thing he can do what he wants. You can tell the guys who buy his stuff because they're are still very high on Butler. 

He has his misses like everyone else, but no one wants to think he can miss. His stuff is very comprehensive and well done. Nothing like it out there, for sure. But it's another resource, that's all. 
He isn't the only one high on Butler among the FBG staff. 

Any way to get the rankings to not default to "1 day" selected in the range? 
Mine is showing 35 days. If you have questions on what it's showing shoot an email to help@footballguys.com and they may be able to help. 
All  overall rookie rankings submitted within the last 35 days.

Appears at the top of the graph. The bolded are pull down lists.

I think he’s great and have been listening to and reading his material for years. Certainly, his opinion on Butler is going to be interesting as he is an extremely divisive WR. For instance, Matt Kelley on Roto Underworld has been absolutely  tearing into Matt over his Butler view ( and is it Waldman or Blooms opinion on Mattison as well ? ). Yet Evan Silva agrees with Waldman. Most of that is just Kelley’s schtick but Butler is marmite and I’m fascinated to see which way he goes. 

End of the day people will always miss every now and then  with strong takes to a certain degree, it’s all the other stuff that can be the most valuable 

for some reason mine defaults to 1 day. weird. 
That is weird. Please explain in as much detail as possible with your email to help@footballguys.com   We're not able to do customer service here on the boards but the folks at help@footballguys.com should be able to assist you. And maybe fix a problem we have. Please give them as much detail as possible with url links and such.

Just a 1 day window often won't be very useful. We try to stay current but you'll most always want to see at least the last few days unless it's just right after something big happening. 

Also let me remind everyone   Matt was all over Mahomes early last year.   If there was any one guy who truly and completely broke out last year it was Mahomes.... and Matt correctly was all in.  

Matt Waldman- 

You are a writer sir.

We appreciate the dedication, artistry, truthfulness, and beauty you bring to your craft.

Footballguys.com is a better place with you here.

Please, keep up the good work. 

With Sincerity, 

-Thank you.

I love Matt. He's interesting and discursive, although he can get long winded at times when being more to the point is better. 

Yes, he was all in on Mahomes, and also Lamar Jackson, and those calls helped me out greatly. Luckily I went against him on Kareem Hunt in his rookie year. He hated his blocking, but Cece was so enthused, I rolled with Cece. 

I've bought the RSP since 2012 or so.  Will continue to do so.  

Obviously everyone has their misses but Matt's misses with his WR1 every year... let just say an elephant in the room?  Cordarrelle Patterson, Sammy Watkins, Kevin White, Laquon Treadwell, Corey Davis, Calvin Ridley (!!!), Hakeem Butler.

Each of these has their own story but feels like on some of these Matt gets carried away with an aspect of their game and over-weighting it, even though with his checklist/score system that shouldn't be possible.

With that said, his QB/RB/TE rankings and depth of his analysis: among the best out there.

Users who are viewing this thread