What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Economics - Tariffs Question - Trump - Why? (1 Viewer)

You are out of touch with reality.....no one wants to read this. Do everyone a favor and move on when you see my posts. 

We’ll see how this plays out, the dramatics at this stage are a waste of time. 
Or try and respond to the points made rather than repeating this BS.  I’ve posted the actual facts.  You won’t even address them and instead continue to try and get personal.

GoBirds said:
Another rational and unbiased take from you, what a surprise. You have no idea how it will play out and haven’t destroyed anything he said. 

As asked before, please don’t quote my posts and I’ll return the favor. It’s always the same and adds no value. TIA. 
Your shadow is back!

The US is in a strong position, but China will take 2 more years of pain to save face if that's what it comes to.
Right which means you aren't in a strong position.  Personally I think they'll take a lot more than 2 years. The non aligned countries will see this as US bullying which strengthens China geopolitically. 

Regurgitated one sided opinions always insisted on as facts....gets really old and waste of everyone’s time.  
False.  I posted facts.  Facts of Trumps actual words.  Facts that this isn’t the first round of tariffs.  Facts of previous effects of tariffs.

That isn’t opinion.Your insistence to avoid discussing the facts and try to get personal is what wastes people’s time.

False.  I posted facts.  Facts of Trumps actual words.  Facts that this isn’t the first round of tariffs.  Facts of previous effects of tariffs.

That isn’t opinion.Your insistence to avoid discussing the facts and try to get personal is what wastes people’s time.
Posty says Hi again

I am rooting for Trump to win here. 

I don’t agree with tariffs, I don’t agree with the strategy. But the bottom line is that, now that he’s chosen it, we will benefit economically if the Chinese cave and work out a deal. If they don’t cave and it all goes bad for Trump I’m not going to gloat because a lot of people are going to suffer if that happens. So Trump needs to succeed here. He’d better. 

On a side note- what Trump is doing on trade issues is not good for my state of California. That’s no surprise; he has also chosen to punish California with his tax bill, and in many other ways. In truth though we have had not had a President look after California’s interests since Ronald Reagan. We have the 5th largest economy on Earth, the biggest population of people, yet our influence on the national scene is woefully inadequate. That is one selfish  reason I would love to see Kamala Harris as our next President, though her chances seem to be receding at the moment. 

Right which means you aren't in a strong position.  Personally I think they'll take a lot more than 2 years. The non aligned countries will see this as US bullying which strengthens China geopolitically. 
Parricularly when we are pulling the same stupid tactics wirh our allies while China is, smartly, building closer relations with the rest of the world.

I don’t agree with tariffs, I don’t agree with the strategy. But the bottom line is that, now that he’s chosen it, we will benefit economically if the Chinese cave and work out a deal. If they don’t cave and it all goes bad for Trump I’m not going to gloat because a lot of people are going to suffer if that happens. So Trump needs to succeed here. He’d better. 

On a side note- what Trump is doing on trade issues is not good for my state of California. That’s no surprise; he has also chosen to punish California with his tax bill, and in many other ways. In truth though we have had not had a President look after California’s interests since Ronald Reagan. We have the 5th largest economy on Earth, the biggest population of people, yet our influence on the national scene is woefully inadequate. That is one selfish  reason I would love to see Kamala Harris as our next President, though her chances seem to be receding at the moment. 
The damage is already done for a good many of the family farms. No deal is going to fix the relationships he's destroyed with this stunt

Good post Tim, not sure on the California stuff but I think you are on point on the rest of it. 

So the latest economic news our economy is growing at around 3.2% and China's is around 6.4%. This last week our Dow was down for the week, meanwhile the Shanghai was up. Yep this trade war  is going to be easy to win. 

https://tradingeconomics.com/china/gdp-growth-annual
For anyone that takes this spin seriously go to the link, click on 10 year for the line graph and look at how the trend looks for China for accurate context. I assume most already know this and just looking to spin this as something to complain about but clearly our gdp is a heck of a lot better than our past 10 years while that number for China is significantly lower than previous growth. 

For anyone that takes this spin seriously go to the link, click on 10 year for the line graph and look at how the trend looks for China for accurate context. I assume most already know this and just looking to spin this as something to complain about but clearly our gdp is a heck of a lot better than our past 10 years while that number for China is significantly lower than previous growth. 
That is lower for what China has been doing as they become an economic power but it certainly is something they could handle for a few years.

That is lower for what China has been doing as they become an economic power but it certainly is something they could handle for a few years.
You are trying to frame numbers in a way to create more fake outrage in here.....in the last decade China GDP has been cut in half while the US has more than doubled. You definitely aren’t the only one but just needed to be called out for what it is. I’m not a China expert and maybe you are an economic guru but I’m also assuming you probably don’t have an accurate grasp on what they can handle for a few years given their GDP is half of what it was. 

Similar to Tim’s take I hope it works out. Maybe it ends in disaster like most of you are hoping for just because it’s Trump but I honestly doubt it and assume this false miscalculated outrage will end similar to many of the other similar instances that pop up in here daily. 

“a heck of a lot better”?  If you’re talking about “The GDP annual growth rate” (which is the graph lazyike posted) for the US that’s a “spin” as well.  

Maybe the annual growth of the GDP? Even that doesn't make much sense as an argument but it's the best I can come up with as an explanation for that statement. Of course the US number (if actually meant to correspond with the same period doesn't add up (unless you look 20 years back for the US vs 10 for China). China's also doesn't add up, unless you cherry pick 2006 and 2007 (only)

Do a better job reading?

Enjoy your weekend, hope you guys don’t spend all your time in the real world like this.  :lmao:
Ah, yes, there it is, the famous razor sharp wit. So glad you could take the time out of your busy day to back up your assertations

Last edited by a moderator:
Do a better job reading?

Enjoy your weekend, hope you guys don’t spend all your time in the real world like this.  :lmao:
Guy argues a bunch online.

Guy argues some more.

People argue back.

Guy tries to rag on people for being online and arguing.

The other aspect of this that bothers me so much, even more than the tariffs, is I feel like we constantly deal with China in terms of what the next 6 months or year will bring. When we negotiate with the Chinese, we need to think 50 years, 100 years down the line. That’s the way they think. 

Which is why we never should have pulled out of TPP, we never should have walked away from the Paris Accords. All of this is connected. 

Click 10y on graph above, see China in 2010 over 12%. 

Out w family, have a good one guys. 
To think that any economy is going to keep growing at a rate of 12% is crazy and backing down a bit to a yet very healthy 6% can help keep inflation in check. I gave you some facts and wasn't trying to frame anything. 

I still keep thinking the long con is Trump is trying to shift low cost manufacturing from China to North Korea and capitalize on it somehow 

Our freaking gdp was 2.9% last year and 2.6% the prior year.  That's our gdp killing it?  

What happened to Trump saying anything under 3% was trash?  Now we're doing amazing under 3%?

I literally do not understand Trump supporter logic.

The other aspect of this that bothers me so much, even more than the tariffs, is I feel like we constantly deal with China in terms of what the next 6 months or year will bring. When we negotiate with the Chinese, we need to think 50 years, 100 years down the line. That’s the way they think. 

Which is why we never should have pulled out of TPP, we never should have walked away from the Paris Accords. All of this is connected. 
Tim I think you are on it with this. While the dramatics in here are over the last 24 hours this is a long game but may be too late as they’ve been able to run unchecked for a long time. 

Tim I think you are on it with this. While the dramatics in here are over the last 24 hours this is a long game but may be too late as they’ve been able to run unchecked for a long time. 
If you think I’m “on it” then you agree with me how disastrous it was to walk away from TPP and Paris. 

And- if you think I’m “on it” then you realize I didn’t write that stuff about California merely for selfish reasons. It’s the key to the USA’s future. Rather than try to protect industries in the middle states we should favor industries on the west coast, because that’s where the pacific Rim trade is going to be. Trump is looking backwards. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread