Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Joe Bryant

Economics - Tariffs Question - Trump - Why?

34 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Another rational and unbiased take from you, what a surprise. You have no idea how it will play out and haven’t destroyed anything he said. 

As asked before, please don’t quote my posts and I’ll return the favor. It’s always the same and adds no value. TIA. 

Facts are irrational and biased?

These aren’t the first tariffs.  They have had negative effects so far and throughout history.

Trump has been quoted for many years talking positively about tariffs.  That directly shows Noonan’s post as being false.

Instaed of making claims about me and bias...refute the facts.

You are right on the last part.  I am always the same...posting facts you can’t even try to refute and your responses never add value. 

Edited by sho nuff

31 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Another rational and unbiased take from you, what a surprise. You have no idea how it will play out and haven’t destroyed anything he said. 

As asked before, please don’t quote my posts and I’ll return the favor. It’s always the same and adds no value. TIA. 

Iowa soybean farmers say :hi:

19 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Facts are irrational and biased?

These aren’t the first tariffs.  They have had negative effects so far and throughout history.

Trump has been quoted for many years talking positively about tariffs.  That directly shows Noonan’s post as being false.

Instaed of making claims about me and bias...refute the facts.

You are right on the last part.  I am always the same...posting facts you can’t even try to refute and your responses never add value. 

You are out of touch with reality.....no one wants to read this. Do everyone a favor and move on when you see my posts. 

We’ll see how this plays out, the dramatics at this stage are a waste of time. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

You are out of touch with reality.....no one wants to read this. Do everyone a favor and move on when you see my posts. 

And when China decides to retaliate? Imagine banning iPhones from 1.2 billion customers. China can do that. What happens if China bans American soy beans? Well say bye to even more of those farmers Trump claims to love.

This idea that there is no reason to worry about how this could go is almost as laughable as the idea that the US is actually in a strong position. Can only do so many bailouts to try to stem the bleeding.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoBirds said:

Or try and respond to the points made rather than repeating this BS.  I’ve posted the actual facts.  You won’t even address them and instead continue to try and get personal.

3 hours ago, GoBirds said:

Your shadow is back!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NCCommish said:

as laughable as the idea that the US is actually in a strong position

The US is in a strong position, but China will take 2 more years of pain to save face if that's what it comes to.

Edited by The Z Machine
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

The US is in a strong position, but China will take 2 more years of pain to save face if that's what it comes to.

Right which means you aren't in a strong position.  Personally I think they'll take a lot more than 2 years. The non aligned countries will see this as US bullying which strengthens China geopolitically. 

1 hour ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Your shadow is back!

Regurgitated one sided opinions always insisted on as facts....gets really old and waste of everyone’s time.  

Regurgitated one sided opinions always insisted on as facts....gets really old and waste of everyone’s time.  

False.  I posted facts.  Facts of Trumps actual words.  Facts that this isn’t the first round of tariffs.  Facts of previous effects of tariffs.

That isn’t opinion.Your insistence to avoid discussing the facts and try to get personal is what wastes people’s time.

Just now, sho nuff said:

False.  I posted facts.  Facts of Trumps actual words.  Facts that this isn’t the first round of tariffs.  Facts of previous effects of tariffs.

That isn’t opinion.Your insistence to avoid discussing the facts and try to get personal is what wastes people’s time.

Posty says Hi again

• Like 1

I am rooting for Trump to win here. 

I don’t agree with tariffs, I don’t agree with the strategy. But the bottom line is that, now that he’s chosen it, we will benefit economically if the Chinese cave and work out a deal. If they don’t cave and it all goes bad for Trump I’m not going to gloat because a lot of people are going to suffer if that happens. So Trump needs to succeed here. He’d better. 

On a side note- what Trump is doing on trade issues is not good for my state of California. That’s no surprise; he has also chosen to punish California with his tax bill, and in many other ways. In truth though we have had not had a President look after California’s interests since Ronald Reagan. We have the 5th largest economy on Earth, the biggest population of people, yet our influence on the national scene is woefully inadequate. That is one selfish  reason I would love to see Kamala Harris as our next President, though her chances seem to be receding at the moment. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NCCommish said:

Right which means you aren't in a strong position.  Personally I think they'll take a lot more than 2 years. The non aligned countries will see this as US bullying which strengthens China geopolitically. 

Parricularly when we are pulling the same stupid tactics wirh our allies while China is, smartly, building closer relations with the rest of the world.

• Like 1

The personal income of farmers in the U.S. declined by an annualized $11.8 billion between January and March, the biggest 1st quarter drop in 3 years, Bloomberg reports, citing Commerce Department data released Monday.

https://www.axios.com/trump-trade-war-us-farmer-income-448861e6-5935-46be-b964-c43f940d89e4.html

:shrug:

38 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I don’t agree with tariffs, I don’t agree with the strategy. But the bottom line is that, now that he’s chosen it, we will benefit economically if the Chinese cave and work out a deal. If they don’t cave and it all goes bad for Trump I’m not going to gloat because a lot of people are going to suffer if that happens. So Trump needs to succeed here. He’d better. 

On a side note- what Trump is doing on trade issues is not good for my state of California. That’s no surprise; he has also chosen to punish California with his tax bill, and in many other ways. In truth though we have had not had a President look after California’s interests since Ronald Reagan. We have the 5th largest economy on Earth, the biggest population of people, yet our influence on the national scene is woefully inadequate. That is one selfish  reason I would love to see Kamala Harris as our next President, though her chances seem to be receding at the moment. 

The damage is already done for a good many of the family farms. No deal is going to fix the relationships he's destroyed with this stunt

1 minute ago, The Commish said:

The damage is already done for a good many of the family farms. No deal is going to fix the relationships he's destroyed with this stunt

You’re correct. 

30 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Amazing how Trump can ruin generations of really hard work in a couple of years. 

1 hour ago, 2Squirrels1Nut said:

Amazing how Trump can ruin generations of really hard work in a couple of years. 

Actually, not that amazing if you look at his history in business.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Sammy3469 said:

But GoBirds literally just said this wasn’t true about 6 hours ago.  Who to believe :shrug: 

You struggle to understand what literally means about as bad as you struggle to understand tax returns.:lmao:

3 hours ago, timschochet said:

Good post Tim, not sure on the California stuff but I think you are on point on the rest of it. 

44 minutes ago, lazyike said:

So the latest economic news our economy is growing at around 3.2% and China's is around 6.4%. This last week our Dow was down for the week, meanwhile the Shanghai was up. Yep this trade war  is going to be easy to win. 

https://tradingeconomics.com/china/gdp-growth-annual

For anyone that takes this spin seriously go to the link, click on 10 year for the line graph and look at how the trend looks for China for accurate context. I assume most already know this and just looking to spin this as something to complain about but clearly our gdp is a heck of a lot better than our past 10 years while that number for China is significantly lower than previous growth. 

13 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

For anyone that takes this spin seriously go to the link, click on 10 year for the line graph and look at how the trend looks for China for accurate context. I assume most already know this and just looking to spin this as something to complain about but clearly our gdp is a heck of a lot better than our past 10 years while that number for China is significantly lower than previous growth. 

That is lower for what China has been doing as they become an economic power but it certainly is something they could handle for a few years.

15 minutes ago, lazyike said:

That is lower for what China has been doing as they become an economic power but it certainly is something they could handle for a few years.

You are trying to frame numbers in a way to create more fake outrage in here.....in the last decade China GDP has been cut in half while the US has more than doubled. You definitely aren’t the only one but just needed to be called out for what it is. I’m not a China expert and maybe you are an economic guru but I’m also assuming you probably don’t have an accurate grasp on what they can handle for a few years given their GDP is half of what it was. 

Similar to Tim’s take I hope it works out. Maybe it ends in disaster like most of you are hoping for just because it’s Trump but I honestly doubt it and assume this false miscalculated outrage will end similar to many of the other similar instances that pop up in here daily. 

37 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

“a heck of a lot better”?  If you’re talking about “The GDP annual growth rate” (which is the graph lazyike posted) for the US that’s a “spin” as well.  

3 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

You are trying to frame numbers in a way to create more fake outrage in here.....in the last decade China GDP has been cut in half 

What?

3 hours ago, Sammy3469 said:
3 hours ago, McJose said:

But GoBirds literally just said this wasn’t true about 6 hours ago.  Who to believe

I'm @GoBirds has a perfectly rational explanation that he'll share

4 minutes ago, msommer said:

I'm @GoBirds has a perfectly rational explanation that he'll share

Do a better job reading?

Enjoy your weekend, hope you guys don’t spend all your time in the real world like this. :lmao:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, McJose said:

What?

Maybe the annual growth of the GDP? Even that doesn't make much sense as an argument but it's the best I can come up with as an explanation for that statement. Of course the US number (if actually meant to correspond with the same period doesn't add up (unless you look 20 years back for the US vs 10 for China). China's also doesn't add up, unless you cherry pick 2006 and 2007 (only)

2 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Do a better job reading?

Enjoy your weekend, hope you guys don’t spend all your time in the real world like this. :lmao:

Ah, yes, there it is, the famous razor sharp wit. So glad you could take the time out of your busy day to back up your assertations

Edited by msommer

2 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Do a better job reading?

Guy argues a bunch online.

Guy argues some more.

People argue back.

Guy tries to rag on people for being online and arguing.

16 minutes ago, McJose said:

What?

What part of "in the last decade China GDP has been cut in half " isn't clear to you?  Is it the part where that statement is completely wrong?

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

2 minutes ago, Slapdash said:

What part of "in the last decade China GDP has been cut in half " isn't clear to you?  Is it the part where that statement is completely wrong?

Click 10y on graph above, see China in 2010 over 12%. 

Out w family, have a good one guys. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, McJose said:

Guy argues a bunch online.

Guy argues some more.

People argue back.

Guy tries to rag on people for being online and arguing.

Take a close look at the people arguing with him their not top posters.

• Laughing 1

The other aspect of this that bothers me so much, even more than the tariffs, is I feel like we constantly deal with China in terms of what the next 6 months or year will bring. When we negotiate with the Chinese, we need to think 50 years, 100 years down the line. That’s the way they think. 

Which is why we never should have pulled out of TPP, we never should have walked away from the Paris Accords. All of this is connected. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

This is ridiculous. Of course their annual GDP growth is going to slow as their economy matures.

2 hours ago, GoBirds said:

You struggle to understand what literally means about as bad as you struggle to understand tax returns.:lmao:

You struggle with understanding basic economic principles about as bad as you understand the word all :shrug:

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

To think that any economy is going to keep growing at a rate of 12% is crazy and backing down a bit to a yet very healthy 6% can help keep inflation in check. I gave you some facts and wasn't trying to frame anything. 

I still keep thinking the long con is Trump is trying to shift low cost manufacturing from China to North Korea and capitalize on it somehow 

1 hour ago, Gopher State said:

Can I see your poster rankings?

• Laughing 1

2 hours ago, GoBirds said:

That graph shows ANNUAL GDP GROWTH RATE not their GDP. 

HTH

11 minutes ago, McJose said:

Can I see your poster rankings?

Bow down to your extreme reading comprehension. 

Thank you, you bridged the gap between huh and oh.

Our freaking gdp was 2.9% last year and 2.6% the prior year.  That's our gdp killing it?  

What happened to Trump saying anything under 3% was trash?  Now we're doing amazing under 3%?

I literally do not understand Trump supporter logic.

• Thanks 1

Unless top poster requires spinning numbers to fit your agenda. I assume most understand the agenda in here but sometimes it’s so ridiculous it deserves comment. 

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

The other aspect of this that bothers me so much, even more than the tariffs, is I feel like we constantly deal with China in terms of what the next 6 months or year will bring. When we negotiate with the Chinese, we need to think 50 years, 100 years down the line. That’s the way they think. 

Which is why we never should have pulled out of TPP, we never should have walked away from the Paris Accords. All of this is connected. 

Tim I think you are on it with this. While the dramatics in here are over the last 24 hours this is a long game but may be too late as they’ve been able to run unchecked for a long time. 

1 hour ago, Sammy3469 said:

You struggle with understanding basic economic principles about as bad as you understand the word all :shrug:

You’ve shown you can’t get a handle on issues like this and tax returns, it’s ok let’s move on. 

2 hours ago, Gopher State said:

Compared to whom?