What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is Kevin Costners signature role? (1 Viewer)

Signature Role

• Jake - Silverado

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eliott Ness - The Untouchables

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Tom - No Way out

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Crash Davis - Bull Durham

Votes: 70 33.0%
  • Ray - Field of Dreams

Votes: 67 31.6%
  • Lt. Dunbar - Dances with Wolves

Votes: 44 20.8%
  • Robin Hood - Robin Hood

• Jim Garrison - JFK

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Frank - The Bodyguard

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Wyatt Earp - Wyatt Earp

• Roy - Tin Cup

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • The Postman - The Postman

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Billy - For the love of the game

• Devil Hatfield - Hatfields & McCoys

• Other

• Total voters

badmojo1006

Footballguy
Two things - I double checked, I thought for sure we had done him. But I find nothing

Also, left off 4-5 movies that should be included but ran out of room. He isnt' a great actor, but has a lot of roles in iconic movies.

With that in mind, I went with Crash Davis. Just a perfect role for him

Normally I try to come up with my answer before opening the thread but for this one I couldn’t - even after reading the options I’m not sure I have an answer.  Voted Robin Hood but only because that was the first movie that came to mind.  

Crash Davis is probably his actual best role that embodies all things Costner and Bull Durham is a very good movie. Field of Dreams may be my favorite movie of all time, though, so in this instance my heart won over my head. 

Roy in Tin Cup is also great Costner. 

Normally I try to come up with my answer before opening the thread but for this one I couldn’t - even after reading the options I’m not sure I have an answer.  Voted Robin Hood but only because that was the first movie that came to mind.  
This was a tough one for me too. Went Ray Kinsella from Field of Dreams. "Wanna have a catch, dad?" Gets me every dam time

Crash Davis is probably his actual best role that embodies all things Costner and Bull Durham is a very good movie. Field of Dreams may be my favorite movie of all time, though, so in this instance my heart won over my head. 

Roy in Tin Cup is also great Costner. 
Tin Cup is basically a remake/reimaging of Bull Durham as a golf movie.

Went with Bull Durham but close call, IMO. 

dances with wolves and it is not even close he won best director for it at the academy awards and golden globes and was nominated for best lead actor at both for the same movie and i think it won best picture at both as well basically it won or was nominated for just about everything it could be it ruled if you dont like it you are a horrible person and that is all i have to say about that take that to the bank bromigos 

Went with Field of Dreams for him since the movie appeals to more then baseball.  As a baseball fan I love Bull Durham and Crash.

Just asked my co-worker the question without any choices.  He yelled WATERWORLD.  laughed and then said for him its Tin Cup.  But hes a golf guy.

Waterworld should be on this list ahead of some of the other options...regardless of what you think of the movie.

It was between Dances with Wolves and Bull Durham for me.

Sub question:  Does Bull Durham make your all time top 5 baseball movie list?

I love Silverado as a movie, but I can't vote for that as his signature role.  I voted the same as most - Bull Durham.

This was a tough one for me too. Went Ray Kinsella from Field of Dreams. "Wanna have a catch, dad?" Gets me every dam time
Its funny, I hear that from a lot of people, and that scene does absolutely nothing for me. But the scene when Moonlight Graham comes off the field to save Costner's daughter, and then can never go back, that gets me every time. 

Not a "signature" role, but he's really good in A Perfect World.
This is my answer, too. I thought that was him at his best as a serious actor.

Bull Durham is probably the right answer, though.
He was great as Butch in A Perfect World. It's my favorite movie that he starred in. I liked him in Fandango too. His signature role is probably Bull Durham, Field of Dreams, or Dances with Wolves. I didn't vote.

The Untouchables.

He was a young guy with not a lot of big time credentials but went toe-to-toe with Connery and De Niro. It is his quiet earnestness in contrast to those two scene-chewers that makes the movie.   

Tom Skerritt said:
Marcus Sommers in American Flyers. Great flick!

But the answer is Crash Davis. 
Crash was my answer too, I just thought I would add to the list.  Any movie with both Alexandra Paul and Rae Dawn Chung at the height of their beauty and which features scenery from the Rockies is worthy of mention, oh yeah, it also had some Costner.  That and I rode as a younger man.

Encyclopedia Brown said:
The Untouchables.

He was a young guy with not a lot of big time credentials but went toe-to-toe with Connery and De Niro. It is his quiet earnestness in contrast to those two scene-chewers that makes the movie cheesey.   

Tough choice between the 3 top vote getters.  Went Dances with Wolves.

No Way Out was one of my favorite movies for a while.

Toss up between Crash Davis and Ray Kinsella. Slight edge to Ray because of the iconic nature of the film.

It should be "Dances With Wolves", but that one doesn't get replayed on cable a million times every month.

So, Ray Kinsella it is.

1. Charley Waite from Open Range

2. Lt Dunbar 

3. Wyatt Earp (not as good as Tombstone, but he's much better than Russell in the part)

I think that these are his best.

Sarandon nearly ruined Bull Durham for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
TripItUp said:
Sub question:  Does Bull Durham make your all time top 5 baseball movie list?
I think it's my favorite baseball film. The Natural is right there in a 1a, 1b kind of thing. Major League next. Everything else is a distant third (or lower). I probably like Mr. Baseball more than most too, I'll watch that one whenever it comes on.

Users who are viewing this thread