What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Free Agent TE Kahale Warring (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
Time to fire up a thread for one of my favourite sleeper / development prospects from the 2019 NFL Draft.

The Houston Texans Are Banking on the Potential of Kahale Warring

Texans rookie tight end Kahale Warring makes good first impression

Texans Rookie Mini-Camp Notebook: Kahale Warring Has Strong Opening Day of Work

Texans selected San Diego State TE Kahale Warring with the No. 86 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Warring (6’5/252) turned pro as a redshirt junior after playing high school football for only one year, walking onto the Aztecs’ team, and tallying a 51/637/8 (12.5 YPR) receiving line across three seasons. A star prep basketball and water polo player, Warring helped himself with 79th-percentile SPARQ results in Indy, including a 4.67 forty and 36 ½-inch vertical. Sure handed and known for his tireless work ethic, Warring especially popped on game tape for his run blocking as an in-line tight end, and his arrow is still pointing up as a pass catcher. Warring is a sleeper to develop into a Kyle Rudolph-level pro. Although he'll likely spend his entire frosh campaign developing, Warring joins a subpar tight end group led by default starter Ryan Griffin.

Apr 26, 2019, 10:44 PM ET

Last edited by a moderator:
NFL Draft Scout's Rob Rang lists San Diego State TE Kahale Warring as the "diamond in the rough" at the tight end position in the 2019 NFL Draft class.

"One of the reasons why you can expect to hear plenty of other tight ends mentioned by anonymous scouts in the build-up to the 2019 NFL draft is that they may be trying to keep Warring – an ascending prospect who played just one year of high school football - a secret," writes Rang. As he also notes, the production wasn't elite with the Aztecs, but that had more to do with the system they ran than anything against Warring (6'5/252). Don't be surprised if he goes early on Day 3, even in this loaded tight end class.

SOURCE: NFL Draft Scout

Apr 15, 2019, 3:29 PM ET

NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah ranks San Diego State TE Kahale Warring 67th overall.

Warring (6'5/252) is Jeremiah's TE4, but there's a notable drop from T.J. Hockenson, Noah Fant, and Irv Smith. Those top three are the consensus top three, but the fourth tight end is more up for debate. Some might put Texas A&M's Jace Sternberger or Ole Miss' Dawson Knox here, but Warring is also in the mix as a quality athlete with some upside. Warring is new to the sport, so his best football is theoretically ahead of him, but it may be a big jump from San Diego State to the NFL.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Apr 22, 2019, 6:17 PM ET

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline writes that San Diego State TE Kahale Warring caught the ball "extremely" well at his Pro Day.

"Tight end coaches from the Cleveland Browns, Cincinnati Bengals, Los Angeles Chargers and Philadelphia Eagles were on hand to watch Warring, who has already worked out privately for the Miami Dolphins," writes Pauline. Warring (6'5/252) didn't put up big numbers with the Aztecs, but much of that has to do with the scheme San Diego State ran on offense, and some less-than-spectacular quarterback play. "Warring displayed an expanded route tree, caught the ball extremely well and looked strong in blocking drills," Pauline adds. This is a loaded tight end class, but Warring could be a steal on Day 3.

SOURCE: Draft Analyst

Mar 25, 2019, 5:27 PM ET

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller believes San Diego State TE Kahale Warring has "huge potential."

Miller labels Warring (6'5/252) as a "Wow" athlete, and he showed it at the NFL Scouting Combine with an 80th percentile SPARQ athletic composite score. Warring has been getting a lot of hype from draft analysts over the past month and for good reason. He only began playing football as a senior in high school and continued to improve dramatically each year. Miller believes Warring can be a team's second tight end and will likely be drafted on Day 3.

SOURCE: Matt Miller on Twitter

Mar 24, 2019, 11:23 AM ET

NFL Media analyst Lance Zierlein compares San Diego State TE Kahale Warring to former NFL TE Todd Heap.

Heap was a star in the NFL for a team at the tight end position, so yeah, this is a flattering comparison for Warring (6'5/252). "He's exciting to project because he hasn't played that much football and he still has big-time flashes, an NFC scout told Zierlein. "He's one of those guys who was good at everything in high school athletics, and that usually translates out on the field." Zierlein has more high praise in his overview of Warring. "He has the competitiveness to handle run-blocking duties and the talent to line up in the slot," he writes. "While his production won't catch your eye, his tape does with quickness and ball skills that should make him a more productive target in the NFL than he was in college." Very intriguing, indeed.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 20, 2019, 1:22 PM ET

The Athletic's Dane Brugler lists San Diego State TE Kahale Warring as a riser after his performance at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Warring (6'5/252) was one of several tight ends who stood out in Indianapolis, and posted a SPARQ score in the 80th percentile at the event. "On the field at Lucas Oil Stadium, Warring looked smooth during the drills," Brugler writes. "In the gauntlet, he did a great job using his body control and coordination to track, adjust and finish on the move." Brugler believes it's possible that the former Aztec has moved into Day 2 consideration now. This tight end class is loaded.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Mar 6, 2019, 11:09 AM ET

The Draft Network's Jon Ledyard believes San Diego State TE Kahale Warring is the "sleeper you need to know" at the tight end position.

Warring (6'5/252) excelled in the athletic testing, posting an 80th percentile SPARQ score. This was good for fourth in this year's athletically-gifted tight end class behind Iowa's T.J. Hockenson (87th percentile), LSU's Foster Moreau (89th percentile), and Iowa's Noah Fant (98th percentile). Ledyard believes Warring shows "shocking polish as a route runner" and "maintains quickness out of his breaks." After his strong performance at the NFL Scouting combine, Warring will likely be selected sometime on Day 3.

SOURCE: Jon Ledyard on Twitter

Mar 3, 2019, 6:52 AM ET

Vikings Feeling the Salary Cap Squeeze, OBJ Back in Cleveland, Rookie Standouts in Minicamps

Excerpt:

Rookie minicamps are happening across the league, and we’re beginning to hear more about teams’ late-round players. One guy that stood out at his weekend indoctrination was Texans third-round pick TE Kahale Warring. The San Diego State product flashed athleticism and movement skills, along with an imposing frame, for the coaches. He’s raw, so it may take time to find out what he’ll ultimately become in the Houston offense, but the raw ability could help him carve out a role as a matchup guy in Year 1. Worth noting that Bill O’Brien’s pretty good with tight ends, too.

Got him 3.02 in 1 FFPC league (probably too early but I had to get him) got about 10 picks til my next pick in another to hopefully grab him there too.  

Got him 3.02 in 1 FFPC league (probably too early but I had to get him) got about 10 picks til my next pick in another to hopefully grab him there too.  
I just took him in the 5th round (FFPC).   

I have a feeling he slipped this far in FFPC because with the limited roster spots it's hard to hold on to rookie TEs all season since they generally take so long to develop.  However, at that point in the draft it's worth swinging for the fences.  If he starts day one, which is very possible, and develops even more considering he is newer to football than most, then he could be  a very nice mid-late round pick for people.  

And based on players I have seen go in the 3rd-4th-5th rounds of my draft, I don't think pick 3.02 was to early to take him.  

I took him at 3.10 this morning in FFPC but would have taken Josh Oliver who went 3.9

Warring does have a ton of upside and I know don't know whether to view fact the Texans drafted two TE's last year as a bad sign that the TE room is a bit crowded in Houston or a good sign that the they are badly trying to find a quality TE,  maybe the feel like Warring might be it and not the one's they have. Bill O'Brien was the OC during the Gronk/Hernandez break out in 2011.

As a raw rookie TE I will plan as if he's a wasted roster spot for 2019 but rawer TE's like Graham and Gates were actually usable by second half of their rookie seasons so for sure not ruling out he might help some teams this year, just not planning on it right now.

I took him at 3.10 this morning in FFPC but would have taken Josh Oliver who went 3.9

Warring does have a ton of upside and I know don't know whether to view fact the Texans drafted two TE's last year as a bad sign that the TE room is a bit crowded in Houston or a good sign that the they are badly trying to find a quality TE,  maybe the feel like Warring might be it and not the one's they have. Bill O'Brien was the OC during the Gronk/Hernandez break out in 2011.

As a raw rookie TE I will plan as if he's a wasted roster spot for 2019 but rawer TE's like Graham and Gates were actually usable by second half of their rookie seasons so for sure not ruling out he might help some teams this year, just not planning on it right now.
What do you like more about Oliver?

All three (Warring/Oliver/Knox) are on the board in the 4th of one of my FFPC's going now, along with Hayden Hurst.  Having a hard time separating them. 

All three (Warring/Oliver/Knox) are on the board in the 4th of one of my FFPC's going now, along with Hayden Hurst.  Having a hard time separating them. 
Funny you would lump them together because pre-NFL draft I had them lumped together.

Here is why I got Oliver over them. Even though he is a rookie TE and they don't do well he at least is in a position to buck the trend because he has opportunity. I think people see sorry old Jacksonville offense but I see Philly south. Foles and the DeFillipo. TE friendly scheme, one of the least talented WR groups in the game and his comp for TE playing time is Swaim.

Warring is on par with him on talent IMO but you got superior WR's and that's an issue when Watson's attempts are low in addition they drafted two TE's last year, including one in round 3 or about as early as they took Warring.

Knox has always run third to them, both before and after the draft. I have drafted him in a few leagues but always when the other two were already taken but I sort of started to sour on him a bit. Why you ask? First I only put him on my radar based on what people tell me, not what I saw. You got guys like Jim Nagy saying he is his third ranked TE and a first round talent. But even as I tried to ignore the stats with him, or lack of stats, I noticed that the few times he actually got the ball he rarely would make a clean catch. I tried to brush it aside to be honest but during his rookie mini-camp I heard he looked like a great athlete and all but a knock on him was that he was fighting the ball. I think he's a Vance McDonald like prospect and honestly not sure the time he'll likely take wasting a roster spot will be met with an adequate payoff. ETA-literally right when I replied to this I got OTC at pick 6.9 and will draft Knox.  He is draftable,  but a tier down from the other two IMO and the other two also went 2-3 rounds ago in this draft.

Weird draft results:

31 (PPR)
57 (.5 PPR)
42 (TE Premium)

I have one more 16 TE Premium but have no picks after 29 so I'll need to make a move if I am going to get him, I'm not taking him there.  Oliver is going significantly earlier (28, 36, 30).  And for good measure, Knox is 59, 50, and 63.

Weird draft results:

31 (PPR)
57 (.5 PPR)
42 (TE Premium)

I have one more 16 TE Premium but have no picks after 29 so I'll need to make a move if I am going to get him, I'm not taking him there.  Oliver is going significantly earlier (28, 36, 30).  And for good measure, Knox is 59, 50, and 63.
Drafted Warring a few hours ago at pick 73 in FFPC. I already have 5 TE's but could not resist the value.

Yeah you are in deep flier territory by that time.  That's guys like McSorley and Higdon in my leagues.  You should probably be remiss that you even let him slip that far haha.

Loving the value of Warring/Knox/Oliver in drafts this year. All three are interesting prospects, IMO, and good alternatives to the dust bin caliber RB/WR available in the same ADP range.

I've gotten Warring in three rookie drafts recently at 33, 34, and somehow 48. I have him as a fringe top 25 guy in my rankings, so I'm liking these prices.

The day two TE depth is one of the few aspects of this rookie class that I really like.

When I took him 3.02 in one of my leagues, I thought there was no way he'd slide further down the board to the 4th or 5th.  

Turns out my other FFPC draft I got him at 4.10.  

So far in my 4 FFPC dynasties, Warring has gone at 4.01, 4.03, and undrafted so far and we are at 5.12 and 6.02. 😳 I passed on him in one of those because I took Oliver at 4.08 and we only have 20 roster spots. In the other, I already drafted Hockensen and Fant.

Texans released TE Ryan Griffin.

This comes a month after Griffin was charged with vandalism and public intoxication after allegedly punching through a window at a Nashville hotel. The Texans saw enough from third-round TE Kahale Warring to move on from Griffin, who started 11 games last year. Griffin should resurface before training camp.

May 17, 2019, 4:19 PM ET

So far in my 4 FFPC dynasties, Warring has gone at 4.01, 4.03, and undrafted so far and we are at 5.12 and 6.02. 😳 I passed on him in one of those because I took Oliver at 4.08 and we only have 20 roster spots. In the other, I already drafted Hockensen and Fant.
I think you should have taken him anyway and worked on clearing the roster spot later.

Funny thing is when I took him at 7.1 of my FFPC draft, as my 6th TE, someone in the draft room felt the need to mention I was on 23 players and counting, as if that was a reason I should have passed on him. I figure I'll worry about that  "problem" over the next few months.

I think you should have taken him anyway and worked on clearing the roster spot later.

Funny thing is when I took him at 7.1 of my FFPC draft, as my 6th TE, someone in the draft room felt the need to mention I was on 23 players and counting, as if that was a reason I should have passed on him. I figure I'll worry about that  "problem" over the next few months.
Every team keeps 16 and there are 7 rounds.  Some people probably have 26 players.  Weird comment by that guy

I actually did take him later on and will indeed figure out what to do in a few months. Was that better Ghost Guy?.

I think this is a great illustration of rookie TEs in FFPC dynasties. Although I like Mark Andrews much, much more than Hurst, at least Hurst was a first-round pick. In my dynasty, he went 2.10 last year, but he was dumped by that team at roster cutdowns and I grabbed him at 5.10 this year. I'm not that optimistic he'll be on my team come Week 1, but he'll at least be in his second season at a position that typically takes a season or two to learn, in an offense with a ton of inexperienced receivers. 

Back on topic, I like Warring a lot and drafted him in other (non-FFPC) leagues. But it's just so hard to hold on to rookie TEs in FFPC leagues that I typically go for lower-upside vets who can make a more immediate contribution, then hopefully try to grab a TE I like off waivers or the next year's rookie/vet draft. 

Texans are happy with what they have seen from third-round TE Kahale Warring.

According to the Houston Chronicle, the Texans view Warring as a "prototype" tight end, and he has come along quickly despite his limited football background. "He's very athletic and learning a lot," TEs coach Will Lawing said. "New to the game of football, but I really like what I see from him so far. He's doing a good job." Warring will probably need a redshirt year, but he has some long-term upside in Dynasty formats.

SOURCE: Houston Chronicle

Jun 27, 2019, 12:18 PM ET

Texans placed rookie TE Kahale Warring, WR DeAndre Carter, and NT Walter Palmore on active injury lists.

Warring and Palmore were placed on the active/non-football injury list, while Carter heads to the active/PUP list. It all basically means the same thing. All three players can be activated at any time and aren't necessarily in danger of missing the season opener. Third-round rookie TE Warring has been impressing this offseason.

RELATED: 

DeAndre Carter

, Walter Palmore

SOURCE: Texans PR on Twitter

Jul 21, 2019, 4:58 PM ET

Texans coach Bill O'Brien doesn't expect TE Kahale Warring (active/NFI) to miss much time.

Warring couldn't get cleared for the start of training camp, but his injury isn't considered serious. Given Warring's limited football background, the missed reps are the bigger concern to his early season role. The Texans are hoping Warring can push Jordan Thomas and Jordan Akins for Year 1 snaps.

SOURCE: Houston Chronicle

Jul 26, 2019, 6:57 PM ET

Texans rookie TE Kahale Warring (hamstring) is still sidelined.

Warring has missed a lot of this offseason, which likely has sent him back in the open tight end competition. The rookie out of San Diego State showed athleticism at the NFL Combine, but he's an inexperienced player who needs time to develop. Fellow tight end Jordan Thomas (hamstring) is also sidelined.

SOURCE: Aaron Wilson on Twitter

Aug 11, 2019, 3:16 PM ET

ESPN's Sarah Barshop reports the Texans could place TE Kahale Warring (hamstring, concussion) on injured reserve.

Warring has missed most of the offseason and training camp. He's behind the rest of the tight ends and could end up on IR if his injuries linger. The Texans may want to give Warring a redshirt year. Jordan Thomas and Jordan Akins are roster locks, and Darren Fells is expected to make the 53-man roster.

SOURCE: ESPN

Aug 28, 2019, 5:32 PM ET

Any reason to still hang on here?

Kind of a bust of a preseason after the hype above.

Apparently on the active roster, not IR.

Any reason to still hang on here?

Kind of a bust of a preseason after the hype above.

Apparently on the active roster, not IR.
Houston has targeted TE’s at a high rate under Watson. If any one of them owned a high snap% they would probably be a stud.

He's my 2nd highest owned rookie other than Preston Williams

I'm likely cutting him in a few places in the next couple days for a priority waiver claim  :cry:

Texans placed TE Kahale Warring (hamstring, concussion) on injured reserve.

He joins TE Jordan Thomas on IR. Warring missed most of the offseason and training camp with injuries and hadn't made much progress from his latest concussion. He's a candidate to return later this season. With Thomas and Warring out, Jordan Akins will open the season as Houston's starting tight end.

Sep 3, 2019, 9:12 AM ET

Picked him up to hold through camp and assess value then. Dropped Gronk to do it, so this guy's got big shoes to fill.

Held him on IR all year, so he's a year behind at a position that takes time anyhoo.  Not expecting much, but if he surprises next year fine.

Kahale Warring beats out Thomas

September 6, 2020

Warring made the Texans' 53-man roster, Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle reports.

ANALYSIS
Warring survived roster cut-down day while Jordan Thomas did not. He sat out his entire rookie season with a concussion, but the 6-foot-5 tight end with 4.67 speed in the 40-yard dash intrigues the Texans.

Kahale Warring beats out Thomas

September 6, 2020

Warring made the Texans' 53-man roster, Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle reports.

ANALYSIS
Warring survived roster cut-down day while Jordan Thomas did not. He sat out his entire rookie season with a concussion, but the 6-foot-5 tight end with 4.67 speed in the 40-yard dash intrigues the Texans.
awesome.  😊

(and you know you're really backing a guy when you get fuzzy feelings about him making th3 5E man roster!)

hey Faust- do you subscribe to the Houston Chronicle?  the page only lets me read the first paragraph without necessitating a subscription.

curious.
I think that when I posted the article it was part of a free preview without needing a subscription; however, I can no longer see past the first paragraph.

Users who are viewing this thread