What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another Catholic Church attack by terrorists. (1 Viewer)

Da Guru

Fair & Balanced
Very sad. Is this ever going to stop?

OUAGADOUGOU, May 12 (Reuters) - Gunmen killed six people including a priest outside a Catholic church in Burkina Faso on Sunday, the government said, the second attack on Christians in two weeks in a nation increasingly overrun by jihadists.

Congregants were leaving church around 9 a.m. (0900 GMT) in the town of Dablo in the Central North region when about twenty men encircled them and shot six dead, according to a government statement and local sources.

The attackers then burned the church, looted a pharmacy and some others stores, and left, Dablo mayor Boucary Zongo told Reuters. The government statement only mentioned the burning of a shop and two vehicles.

"These terrorist groups are now attacking religion with the macabre aim of dividing us," it said.

Burkina Faso has been beset by a rise in attacks in 2019 as groups with links to the  Islamic State and al Qaeda based in neighboring Mali seek to fuel local tensions and extend their influence over the porous borers of the Sahel, the arid scrubland south of the Sahara.

The government declared a state of emergency in several northern provinces bordering Mali in December because of deadly Islamist attacks.

But violence has only worsened since. Two French soldiers were killed in an operation to rescue four people taken hostage in Burkina last week, France said. Over 100,000 people in Burkina Faso have been displaced by the unrest this year, the United Nations has said.

Roughly 55% to 60% of Burkina Faso's population is Muslim, with up to a quarter Christian. The two groups generally live in peace and frequently intermarry.

Then in late April unidentified gunmen killed a pastor and five congregants at a Protestant church, also in the north, suggesting the violence was taking a religious turn.

I don't know.  Why are other shooting threads pages and pages of comments?
Because it's a discussion about if anything can be done to prevent shootings in the US.  Shootings like this are why those threads exist and continue on for page after page.

The New Zealand one certainly got a lot of attention quickly
I think that was a little different.  The video released of the shooting was most certainly going to gain a lot of attention.  The fact that New Zealand took action right away was another talking point that relates to us.

So not USA/western countries to people don't know a thing about this place is the reason?
I certainly think it’s a bigger factor than the reason I suspect you’re hinting about, which is that when Christians get attacked people (especially liberals) don’t pay nearly as much attention as when other groups get attacked. Am I correct? 

I've never heard of it.   I am not sure I understand why people worry about which threads get attention and which don't.   

Worry?

I'm also sure most people had never heard of many places (including most schools) that get shot up until the shooting.
Normally they are in countries that we've heard about.   I think it is terrible but I do not know about the political situation in Ouagadougou to add much to the discussion.

Worry?

I'm also sure most people had never heard of many places (including most schools) that get shot up until the shooting.
Just to be clear did you just compare a shooting in burkina faso to a school in the USA?  You honestly can't understand the difference there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Religions seem to not like other religions. It is troubling and a story almost as old as mankind. 

Burkina Faso has been beset by a rise in attacks in 2019 as groups with links to the  Islamic State and al Qaeda based in neighboring Mali seek to fuel local tensions and extend their influence over the porous borers of the Sahel, the arid scrubland south of the Sahara.
Pretty sure we’ve been told that Isis is defeated.

But more specifically this is unspeakably sad and indescribable. Part of being a Catholic means hearing priests and missionaries from Africa talk about the struggles there. This doesn’t get mentioned, but mass hunger and unsanitary living conditions are part of it. Poor people.

Pretty sad. That said likely more of the same is happening across West Africa that we never hear of, including counteratrocities.

I've been to Burkina Faso once.  Not exactly a hot spot for travelling.

Of course back then the terrorists were terrorist (or bandits) for more wordly reasons

Not too mention is that we never hear of the literally thousands of children that die of starvation or undernourishment in a ditch somewhere across the continent.  That's not sexy news

Users who are viewing this thread