What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Are for the death penalty and pro life? (1 Viewer)

Well you are not pro life then.
I clearly said I don’t fall into the category so it’s not me anything. There is still a very clear moral difference that is easy to understand between abortion and the death penalty, 

Last edited by a moderator:
Logically, sure, someone can twist themselves in knots to find a way to defend it. 

Morally? Not so much. 
It doesn’t take any bending to see a difference between killing something innocent and killing something has committed terrible crimes. 

I just don't understand this, please enlightened me.
It seems that you just want to catch pro life people in a “gotcha!”. The same way another poster tried to argue the other day that pro-choice people need to be in favor of suicide. 

I don’t know about anyone else, but personally I’m sick to death of these sorts of “arguments”, which are designed not to convince or educate, but solely to antagonize.

It seems that you just want to catch pro life people in a “gotcha!”. The same way another poster tried to argue the other day that pro-choice people need to be in favor of suicide. 

I don’t know about anyone else, but personally I’m sick to death of these sorts of “arguments”, which are designed not to convince or educate, but solely to antagonize.
Yep, I'm pro life you know it all.  Go away.

It seems like all the confusion could be cleared up if the two positions were called "Pro Innocent Life" and "Pro Death Penalty For The Guilty".

Christians have interpreted this to mean "Thou shall not commit first degree murder".
Christians (mostly) believe that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all deserve death for their sins. They worship a God, however, who showed mercy to them in their sin and gave them life when they deserved death. 

So, naturally, if someone does something bad they want to kill them. You can see how it's a natural outflow of their theology.

so Cav, here's the thing. "Pro-life" has come to mean something very specific. It doesn't mean in our context that people choose life in every instance they have the chance. It means they believe that abortion should be illegal. So though I'm very anti-death penalty and I think abortion should be legal, the premise of the thread is a bit silly. 

It seems like all the confusion could be cleared up if the two positions were called "Pro Innocent Life" and "Pro Death Penalty For The Guilty".
Or anti-choice and pro-choice. Which is far more accurate.  Prolife is a marketing scheme.

NCCommish said:
Or anti-choice and pro-choice. Which is far more accurate.  Prolife is a marketing scheme.
I don’t agree. I’ve never met anyone who opposed abortion who thought that it was anti choice; they oppose it because they believe, sincerely, that it’s the taking of an innocent life. It’s no “marketing scheme”. 

I don’t agree. I’ve never met anyone who opposed abortion who thought that it was anti choice; they oppose it because they believe, sincerely, that it’s the taking of an innocent life. It’s no “marketing scheme”. 
Yeah it is. At the same time many of them cry for a fetus they sneer at the poor child who they have no interest in helping if it costs them one penny in taxes. That isn't prolife its antichoice.

In fact Tim the term prolife was acknowledged by the early founders of the movement as a way to market their cause. And they stole it from the antiwar movement and other liberal causes such as those against the death penalty. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it is. At the same time many of them cry for a fetus they sneer at the poor child who they have no interest in helping if it costs them one penny in taxes. That isn't prolife its antichoice.
As you well know, most conservatives believe that big government aid to poor people is not beneficial to poor people. They prefer smaller government and private charities. When you write that they “sneer at the poor child who they have no interest in helping” you’re affirming a stereotype that has very little resemblance to the truth. Do you truly think conservatives are as evil and uncaring as you’re making them out to be? 

As you well know, most conservatives believe that big government aid to poor people is not beneficial to poor people. They prefer smaller government and private charities. When you write that they “sneer at the poor child who they have no interest in helping” you’re affirming a stereotype that has very little resemblance to the truth. Do you truly think conservatives are as evil and uncaring as you’re making them out to be? 
When I see children in Alabama living in 3rd world squalor and disease you're damn right I do. When I see the policies they champion that leave children hungry with no healthcare, inadequate  housing and deficient educations you're damn right I do. I dont care what they say I look at what they do. And what they do is heartbreaking , its immoral and yes it reeks of evil disregard for the human lives they claim to care so much about. So spare me the they aren't so bad shtick. Their actions are disgusting. They better hope the atheists are right or they got a real nasty surprise coming. 

If they are oh so caring and loving they need to find better representation of those feelings. 

When I see children in Alabama living in 3rd world squalor and disease you're damn right I do. When I see the policies they champion that leave children hungry with no healthcare, inadequate  housing and deficient educations you're damn right I do. I dont care what they say I look at what they do. And what they do is heartbreaking , its immoral and yes it reeks of evil disregard for the human lives they claim to care so much about. So spare me the they aren't so bad shtick. Their actions are disgusting. They better hope the atheists are right or they got a real nasty surprise coming. 

If they are oh so caring and loving they need to find better representation of those feelings. 
IMO, the current divisiveness we have in this country starts with attitudes like yours, sorry to say. It’s not enough to disagree with the other side; you have to demonize them, make them evil. Don’t be surprised when they return the favor. 

So if you're okay with the mother terminating the child pre-birth, then shouldn't you be okay with terminating the child post-birth?   You know if the mother determines they no longer want the child and they live in a 3rd world area.  If you're pro-choice then you're pro-choice......

So if you're okay with the mother terminating the child pre-birth, then shouldn't you be okay with terminating the child post-birth?   You know if the mother determines they no longer want the child and they live in a 3rd world area.  If you're pro-choice then you're pro-choice......
It isn't a child until it is viable outside the mother. Hope that helps you understand the difference. 

IMO, the current divisiveness we have in this country starts with attitudes like yours, sorry to say. It’s not enough to disagree with the other side; you have to demonize them, make them evil. Don’t be surprised when they return the favor. 
Sure as soon as I support those kinds of policies I would fully expect to be demonized. But I don't. And I won't support people that support them. So false accusations dont really mean much to me.

See what you don't seem to get Tim, and I keep trying to explain it to you, is your vote comes with accepting responsibility for what the people you vote for do.

See what you don't seem to get Tim, and I keep trying to explain it to you, is your vote comes with accepting responsibility for what the people you vote for do.
Not sure what that has to do with the current topic. Of course I get that. But I believe that life is nuanced and you have to look at the totality of one’s actions, measure the good vs the bad, and reach a sum evaluation which considers everything, as much as I can. And try to avoid demonization and simplistic conclusions. I don’t always achieve these goals, but it’s not for lack of effort. 

Not sure what that has to do with the current topic. Of course I get that. But I believe that life is nuanced and you have to look at the totality of one’s actions, measure the good vs the bad, and reach a sum evaluation which considers everything, as much as I can. And try to avoid demonization and simplistic conclusions. I don’t always achieve these goals, but it’s not for lack of effort. 
And I believe the proof is in the actions not the words.

NCCommish said:
[scooter] said:
Every Pro-Life person is also Anti-Choice, but not every Anti-Choice person is Pro-Life.

I read this tripe and I wonder...were democrats EVER in charge of anything?   Sure seems like the horrible republicans have been in charge of so much for so long to get to this point.

Rectify:  thou shall not kill.
Doesn’t say that.  Translates to thou shall not murder.  
Not really. The modern-day concept of "murder" -- the unlawful and malicious killing of another human being -- did not exist 2000 years ago.

The Bible permitted several types of killings which today would be considered "murder"; on the other hand, the Bible condemned many types of non-deliberate killings which today would be described as a lesser crime (e.g., involuntary manslaughter).

Users who are viewing this thread