What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game Of Thrones - Your Rating On How It's Finishing (1 Viewer)

As the last season of Game of Thrones wraps up, what's your take on how it's finishing?

• 1. Finishing Terribly

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • 2. Finishing Badly

Votes: 37 20.4%
  • 3. Finishing OK

Votes: 52 28.7%
  • 4. Finishing Well

Votes: 51 28.2%
  • 5. Finishing Great

Votes: 30 16.6%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
And please, No Spoilers.

As the last season of Game of Thrones wraps up, what's your take on how it's finishing?

And this is not on the overall show with all the seasons. This is how this last season is finishing. 

If you don't watch, sorry, this isn't for you then. :hey:  

Last edited by a moderator:
I almost clicked 'Finishing Badly', but went with 'Finishing OK' after thinking a bit more. I may not like some of the decisions being made, and how rushed it feels, but the main plot points are still consistent with what's come before. Might be the finale changes my mind one way or the other.

So far I think it's finishing ok but will wait until the last episode to lick in my vote. 

Probably should've had a few more episodes as everything seems rushed. The writing has been subpar and generic at times but the acting,direction and visuals have been great.

I voted badly.  Simply cause it's rushed.  I wonder if the writers had more or different in mind at the end of season 6 or 7.  Then HBO came in and said "well, we are only doing 6 episodes" and they had to scramble to find a way to wrap everything up as quickly as possible.

Sure seems like that

Loving this season and will miss the show and characters after next week. Is it as good as it was in the earlier seasons? I'd say no, but it's still better than ANYTHING else on TV by a country mile.

I voted badly.  Simply cause it's rushed.  I wonder if the writers had more or different in mind at the end of season 6 or 7.  Then HBO came in and said "well, we are only doing 6 episodes" and they had to scramble to find a way to wrap everything up as quickly as possible.

Sure seems like that
I've seen a lot of buzz that both Martin and HBO wanted 10 full seasons but that the showrunners want to move on to other projects so are jamming everything into this season.  I haven't seen a link to support this but everything I've seen points to the showrunners wanting to wrap this up, not the network.  

I might change my vote after the finale from finishing OK. 

But even if I don't this is still a top 5 series of all time for me.  Great entertainment for many years and I will rewatch it stem to stern numerous times in the coming years.

I've seen a lot of buzz that both Martin and HBO wanted 10 full seasons but that the showrunners want to move on to other projects so are jamming everything into this season.  I haven't seen a link to support this but everything I've seen points to the showrunners wanting to wrap this up, not the network.  
Suppose that's possible.   That aqctually makes sense because it has been asked a million times why would HBO want to end something so popular.

Still feels jammed though...but that's an interesting take

Sure seems like that
HBO would have done 50 years of this show. It was the D&D pair and likely the cast. 

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
Voted finishing well. 

It was never going to live up to the hype, but the negativity surrounding the final season is too much.  People in general think they know how each character arc should end and the general direction of the show, but in reality they know nothing (Jon Snow).  

Voted finishing well. 

It was never going to live up to the hype, but the negativity surrounding the final season is too much.  People in general think they know how each character arc should end and the general direction of the show, but in reality they know nothing (Jon Snow).  
right and they get mad when it doesnt turn out the way they thought.  just watch and enjoy

Right now my vote is OK. They've seemingly crammed what I reckon to be the material of the seventh book into two episodes, both an impressive and somewhat not-quite-satisfying effort.

There is definitely a noticeable drop in writing after the showrunners took over and the source material ended. However, its still pretty good. I voted finishing well.

A tangent thread might be which shows finished the best?

Top of my head, I'd say Breaking Bad and The Wire both had strong finishes.

Dexter is one that was really disappointing.

Arya kills Dany.

Sansa takes the throne

Jon rides off to the North to be a lumberjack.

Let it finish, then judge it.
Sure. That'll be next week. Right now, I was interested in how people are seeing it based on last night's show. People have opinions now. We can do a definitive look with this question next week. 

Sure. That'll be next week. Right now, I was interested in how people are seeing it based on last night's show. People have opinions now. We can do a definitive look with this question next week. 
So far I give it an OK, which is unfortunate because I had been treated to Great for 7 seasons.

Really not sure how to vote.  I guess OK. They do such a great job making the show visually appealing that I think I'd enjoy seeing whatever story they tell.  I just don't understand why this is the story they're choosing to tell.  

Dexter was brutal. It was comically bad to the point where it tainted the entire series for me. 

Wire, BB, Leftovers, and Sopranos were all solid finishes for me. I didn’t love the Sopranos finale at first, but that was more because it had too much AJ for my liking and the not the problem with the final s.

Really? I felt season 5 of Breaking Bad was cartoonish and mediocre. I wish I could forget I saw any of that season. Seasons 1-4 put it in GOAT territory for me.

I voted for "finishing well."  There are definitely certain things that could have been better, but considering how difficult it is to maintain a high level for this many seasons, I'd say they are doing well.  Can anyone name any TV drama ever that was awesome for 8+ seasons? 

Surprising results. I don't know why D&D were so dead-set on wrapping things up so quickly this past couple of seasons, but the product suffered greatly. Voted finishing badly, and that might be too kind.

Best TV show I've ever seen.  This season has been incredible. 

I think all the hubbub about the show's ending comes from its unique origin.  It was born out of a book series that is still unfinished.  I can't think of another example of a show with that background.  I think it gives people this fantasy that there is some amazing alternative storyline out there that's so much better than what the show has actually done.  It produces this weirdly overly critical reaction.  Folks are Dunning-Krugering themselves into storytelling geniuses.  The show thread is super irritating imo.

PROS - Fairly consistent in its plot structure and its theme/goal/mission statement.  Fairly realistic motivations for the characters remaining. Excellent special effects.  

CONS - Dany's decent into madness being explained as hereditary is a bit of a deus ex machina this late in the game. I don't really agree with the dislike of it....but understand it.  Feels rushed.  Showrunners didn't want to do more episodes and it feels like it needs it.  

I was thinking more on it last night, and unless something epic happens in the last episode, this season is a disaster.

Jaimie Lannister - dumb ending.  He gets with Briene and then goes back to Sis, after risking his life to fight the undead army?

Bronne - Still trying to figure what that scene with the brothers was all about.

Cleganes - dumb.  Lets make a killer zombie that can't die.

Bran - What was the point again, of him being in this show.  Besides being a history book that the Night King had to destroy.

Daenerys - The crazy sure did take hold of her in a hurry.  She went from caring about the common man/woman to ruthless in 60 seconds.

I could go on, but I feel like this season was completely rushed and alot of the things that have happened make no sense with what we have learned about the characters.

I was thinking more on it last night, and unless something epic happens in the last episode, this season is a disaster.

Jaimie Lannister - dumb ending.  He gets with Briene and then goes back to Sis, after risking his life to fight the undead army?

Bronne - Still trying to figure what that scene with the brothers was all about.

Cleganes - dumb.  Lets make a killer zombie that can't die.

Bran - What was the point again, of him being in this show.  Besides being a history book that the Night King had to destroy.

Daenerys - The crazy sure did take hold of her in a hurry.  She went from caring about the common man/woman to ruthless in 60 seconds.

I could go on, but I feel like this season was completely rushed and alot of the things that have happened make no sense with what we have learned about the characters.
This is about how I feel, but it is also combined with the knowledge that HBO was down with giving them all the money to do 10 episode seasons and D&D were all "nah, we don't need that much to wrap this up".  

Because of that I think we failed to see somethings that could have helped with the last season.  I am not talking 3 more seasons or anything, but IMO we could have used just a little more time with:  Jaime struggling with who he was (shagging Brienne and leaving within 5 mins felt off),  Dany going mad, Dany + Jon (it feels like Jon + the redhead wildling had more time and development than this relationship that was the crux of Dany going mad),  Varys doing Varys things, etc.   

It seems like the overall tone with people who haven't liked this season is not that characters ended up where they did, it's that it felt a bit rushed and unearned this season and some of the characters seemed to do and say things that weren't in line with what was presented in the show.  

This is about how I feel, but it is also combined with the knowledge that HBO was down with giving them all the money to do 10 episode seasons and D&D were all "nah, we don't need that much to wrap this up".  

Because of that I think we failed to see somethings that could have helped with the last season.  I am not talking 3 more seasons or anything, but IMO we could have used just a little more time with:  Jaime struggling with who he was (shagging Brienne and leaving within 5 mins felt off),  Dany going mad, Dany + Jon (it feels like Jon + the redhead wildling had more time and development than this relationship that was the crux of Dany going mad),  Varys doing Varys things, etc.   

It seems like the overall tone with people who haven't liked this season is not that characters ended up where they did, it's that it felt a bit rushed and unearned this season and some of the characters seemed to do and say things that weren't in line with what was presented in the show.  
I kind of get the rushed complaints. I mean not for most of the stuff but it’s wild to me that Dany is going to be on the throne after 72 episodes of buildup for like 5 minutes before a sword finds its way into her stomach. 

However I separate reality from the show and these are all real people who want to move on. Not just D&D but the actors too. Sansa is about to star in the x-men movie. It would be impossible to tie these people up further. If anybody watches the behind the scenes shows (you should they are great) the amount of work they put into this season is absurd. It’s tiring just watching them  

This season is going to be about 8 hours. It would definitely help if it was 10 but overall they’ve done a good job landing the plane imo. 

Dani’s behavior is totally illogical if we don’t just hang it on madness. I find that lazy. 

Cersei deserved a far more drawn out and defiant ending. 

Jaime should have risen to decency/nobility. His arc had very little point in the end.

Agree that Bran better have some ####### relevance by the end of this.

Air Arya was either poorly edited or poorly written.

Sure seems like that
Actually, the opposite. HBO basically said take as long as you need. D&D said they wanted to wrap things up. I suspect Star Wars negotiations played a part.

I voted OK. It is still a good show but I can't say that the writers are doing a great job this season. Hell, when most of the actors seem, at best, non-committal on the final season you know there are issues.

So far I think it's finishing ok but will wait until the last episode to lick in my vote. 

Probably should've had a few more episodes as everything seems rushed. The writing has been subpar and generic at times but the acting,direction and visuals have been great.
This is where I stand.

Users who are viewing this thread