What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO Hard Knocks 2019 - Oakland Raiders - The Keelan Doss journey ends (1 Viewer)

Which slow motion car accident of a training camp do we get to watch?

I'd like to see the Raiders get it, but seeing any one of these organizations' incompetence up close should be fun. 

All four have the potential for good story lines, but the Lions would be the least favorite for the executives making the decisions.

Giants, Raiders or Skins could all set up for great episodes. Giants would do it because they still believe they got their qb, and this show “could” help them prove it (via TV magic). And peeling back the onion on Barkley could be awesome if he agreed to it. Raiders would do it just to further build up a national viewership because their own local fans may or may not show up this year for the terrible stadium they are in. And, seeing the trio of Gruden, Mayock and Carr on the screen all trying to be the smartest guy in the room would be like watching American politics. And finally, with the NFL draft in Vegas next year the build up on Hard Knocks could be something they can’t pass up, especially after what just happened in Nashville. And the Skins, well... Snyder. Plus Guice and Haskins on the screen could be awesome for their young careers. But, would they be forced to cameo something small about the team name controversy in an episode? Some young college kids (like only 3 of them) with signs out in front of the stadium. Haha. Kidding aside, it could be a small enough reason to keep them out. 

My vote is the Raiders. 

If they Giants don't want it, they won't be forced to.  John Mara will just call up his ole buddy Roger boy and see to it.

Feels like a Gruden one way or the other.  John if they go with their inclination, Jay if they feel like stickin it to us.

Last edited by a moderator:
All four have the potential for good story lines, but the Lions would be the least favorite for the executives making the decisions.

Giants, Raiders or Skins could all set up for great episodes. Giants would do it because they still believe they got their qb, and this show “could” help them prove it (via TV magic). And peeling back the onion on Barkley could be awesome if he agreed to it. Raiders would do it just to further build up a national viewership because their own local fans may or may not show up this year for the terrible stadium they are in. And, seeing the trio of Gruden, Mayock and Carr on the screen all trying to be the smartest guy in the room would be like watching American politics. And finally, with the NFL draft in Vegas next year the build up on Hard Knocks could be something they can’t pass up, especially after what just happened in Nashville. And the Skins, well... Snyder. Plus Guice and Haskins on the screen could be awesome for their young careers. But, would they be forced to cameo something small about the team name controversy in an episode? Some young college kids (like only 3 of them) with signs out in front of the stadium. Haha. Kidding aside, it could be a small enough reason to keep them out. 

My vote is the Raiders. 
You don't know anything about these guys do you?

Raiders are the obvious pick, but Giants are a close second with the way this off-season went for them - Gettleman, OBJ, Eli, Jones - lots of things to put on camera.

Raiders seem like an obvious choice given the coaching staff being already primed for sound bite heaven, a rebuilt team that features one of the more colorful/polarizing players in AB, a fresh and numerous stable of high draft round rooks, and an iconic historical team in their last year in Oakland.

As a Raider fan, as much as I'd love the peek inside, I hope they don't do it because one added distraction - a media-circus-sized one to boot - is the last thing this team needs.

I also think it's improbable as the Raiders have always been a notoriously private club, historically closing even their practices to the press. That's an artifact of Al Davis, and Gruden/Mayock may crave the limelight in a way Al and the staff he brought on did not, so its possible the new culture would have no issues with being on Hard Knocks. Again, I hope they stick with tradition and don't do it.

So my bet is actually on the Giants as well. As @Hankmoody says, there are a lot of story-lines: the pass-the-torch and/or who's the starter tension b/w Eli and Jones, a marketable player the fantasy community will definitely want to tune in to see, a few intriguing rookies of their own, and a big market audience.

Not even Lions fans care about the Lions. Skins are out for the bad publicity. It's Raiders or Giants. Mark Davis said he'd fire Gruden and rehire him if he could avoid the show through their "no first year head coach" exemption. It's going to be the Giants. Or the NFL is going to give the Raiders a lot of reasons to say yes. 

How does eligibility for this work? Is it as simple as: teams that don't want to do it are out, teams that have already done it are out, and the rest are eligible?

Raiders seem like an obvious choice given the coaching staff being already primed for sound bite heaven, a rebuilt team that features one of the more colorful/polarizing players in AB, a fresh and numerous stable of high draft round rooks, and an iconic historical team in their last year in Oakland.

As a Raider fan, as much as I'd love the peek inside, I hope they don't do it because one added distraction - a media-circus-sized one to boot - is the last thing this team needs.

I also think it's improbable as the Raiders have always been a notoriously private club, historically closing even their practices to the press. That's an artifact of Al Davis, and Gruden/Mayock may crave the limelight in a way Al and the staff he brought on did not, so its possible the new culture would have no issues with being on Hard Knocks. Again, I hope they stick with tradition and don't do it.

So my bet is actually on the Giants as well. As @Hankmoody says, there are a lot of story-lines: the pass-the-torch and/or who's the starter tension b/w Eli and Jones, a marketable player the fantasy community will definitely want to tune in to see, a few intriguing rookies of their own, and a big market audience.

How does eligibility for this work? Is it as simple as: teams that don't want to do it are out, teams that have already done it are out, and the rest are eligible?
Some teams don't get a choice and the Raiders are one of those.  The NFL asks for volunteers and if no one does then the NFL decides who it will be.  There are three things that remove teams from being compelled to be chosen - hired a new head coach, made the playoffs in either of the past two seasons, or have appeared in the last 10 years.  The 4 above teams are the result of that filter.  Someone else might volunteer, but I don't know how common that is.

Please let it be the Giants so we can see the Gettleman and the OBJ trade unfold (if it was already on camera), panic about how many other teams were targeting Daniel Jones, and then the bagel shop guy afterwards

I would think they have to save the Raiders for next season so they can do a profile of a team having moved to Las Vegas, no?

Of the remaining three, I would probably pick the Redskins but also wouldn't argue to see the disaster that'll be the New York Giants (hey you get to see Saquon and see how awkward the QB room will be). The least desirable would be the Lions to me.

Giants fans can hate watch and everyone else can just laugh.
From what I have seen/heard, there are way more Giants fans who love Eli and think Gettelman is making all the right moves than otherwise. 

Not even Lions fans care about the Lions. Skins are out for the bad publicity. It's Raiders or Giants. Mark Davis said he'd fire Gruden and rehire him if he could avoid the show through their "no first year head coach" exemption. It's going to be the Giants. Or the NFL is going to give the Raiders a lot of reasons to say yes. 
I actually don't think the Lions are that interesting this year and with Stafford's wife going through brain surgery, I actually think it would be kind of cruel to force that on him. However, Lions fans absolutely do care. They are a passionate bunch.

Seems to be getting later and later each year.

Browns were announced on May 17th last year. Bucs in late April the year before, Rams in late March the year before that.

This is killing me. What the F is taking them so long to announce?
It could be because they chose the Raiders but the Raiders are fighting it. They have stated that they don't want to be on Hard Knocks. I'm hoping for the Raiders because I think there's a large possibility of a train wreck, but the Giants and Skins offer some interesting situations. Gettleman reducing a team to rubble or Snyder reducing a team to rubble, either way, an interesting watch. Also, you get to see a top 15 drafted QB getting reps on teams devoid of WR talent. 

So the author's view is that the Raiders organization is hair-breadth's away from imploding from drama, so they need Hard Knocks as a catalyst to bring that out to benefit the team?

I know a lot of people seem to need to see tons of drama occur with this team for some reason, but this slant here is ridiculous. If the Raiders truly were on the verge of full fledged drama-implosion (they are not), why would they ever want to have this aired all out in the public? Hard Knocks needs the Raiders way more than vice versa for the very fact that so many people want so desperately to see drama happen on this team.

steelers1080 said:
It could be because they chose the Raiders but the Raiders are fighting it. They have stated that they don't want to be on Hard Knocks. I'm hoping for the Raiders because I think there's a large possibility of a train wreck, but the Giants and Skins offer some interesting situations. Gettleman reducing a team to rubble or Snyder reducing a team to rubble, either way, an interesting watch. Also, you get to see a top 15 drafted QB getting reps on teams devoid of WR talent. 
I may think you are right about the Raiders fighting their selection this year that's holding up announcement, but the second part plays into my comment above, and IMO is what would make the Raiders so disappointing to so many on this show -- there would be no drama-laden train wreck that you are all expecting.

Ya know what's a real proem?  Sandusky, Paterno, and your completely tainted program.  Certainly not a name that a lot of people don't understand the origin of.  Not to mention the Native American reservations who put forth the same nickname with their schools.
Easy, fella. Same team. 

The Raiders will be the featured team on this summer's season of Hard Knocks.

It will premiere Aug. 6 on HBO. Hopefully it has a better ending than Game of Thrones. Coach Jon Gruden could barely conceal his disdain for the idea on Tuesday, but he and his remade-on-the-fly roster will certainly make for compelling television. Gruden is one of the league's biggest personalities. This will provide a fascinating window into what, if anything, he learned from last year's disaster.

SOURCE: NFL on Twitter

Jun 11, 2019, 6:58 PM ET

Crap.

Didn’t want it, knew in my heart they would be chosen anyway.

I don’t buy into the narrative of this team being on the brink of total drama meltdown. But don’t want any added distraction.

Or being forced to sign up for HBO again after rage-quitting from GoT.

Pretty sure they were chosen a while ago but tried to fight it/Hard Knocks was looking for other volunteers.  Unfortunately, the first air date isn't until August 6th, so I won't get an up close look at Josh Jacobs before my dynasty rookie draft mid-July. 

As a Raider fan I'm equally excited about the opportunity to see more of my team this off-season as I am bothered by how much I will need to defend how they look on that side of the camera.

Small silver lining is that Gruden has in-depth experience in a TV production situation.  

Last edited by a moderator:
 Someone posted a big thread last year with "alternatives to Hard Knocks".

I remember much of the various teams coverage were on Youtube and other places online.

Anyone working  (or planning on working) on something like that in the coming weeks???

(can't find the thread from last year at the moment either)

TZM

Someone posted a big thread last year with "alternatives to Hard Knocks".

I remember much of the various teams coverage were on Youtube and other places online.

Anyone working  (or planning on working) on something like that in the coming weeks???

(can't find the thread from last year at the moment either)

TZM
All or Nothing.

From Amazon Prime.

The 2016 Arizona show was great. 2017 Rams. 2018 Cowboys.

TRAILER for this year coming up and the 2019 Carolina Panthers... https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B07T7LJKWC/ref=atv_dp

Users who are viewing this thread