What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO Hard Knocks 2019 - Oakland Raiders - The Keelan Doss journey ends (1 Viewer)

I wasn't excited about this as I'm not a fan of other teams getting a better glimpse behind out doors, definitely could be a distraction, edits create a skewed and false perception of our team, etc.

But damned if I'm not excited now to see how this team is shaping up. So much potential variane with the influx in talent - could have a winning record and vie for playoffs; could be in the basement all year again.

Will be great to see how all of these new players -- from rooks to FA vets -- look during practice and preseason.

Florio was on the radio this morning and he thought it should be pretty bland compared to previous seasons. No way Gruden is going to allow anything that makes him or the team look bad like the Hue and Haley did last year with the browns.  Made sense to me anyways, Gruden is weird dude but he's not a dumb as Hue that's for sure.

I mean....I'm not surprised at all that Ronald Ollie did something stupid and got himself cut on like day 2.....but damn kid. Hard to imagine how many people just straight wasted time trying to turn that guy into a productive adult of some kind. Now, he gets the chance of a lifetime and can't even show up to see the trainer when he's hurt?

I'm sure the kid had a real tough upbringing, but some people just dont deserve the opportunities that they get.

Interesting how they dance around why Antonio Browns feet were hurt in the first place.  No footwear in the chryo freeze machine prob would’ve been good TV

Some thoughts:

• Richie Incognito comes across relatively sane. Wondering if this is a new page or simply a ticking time bomb
  • Incognito also looked massive. And he's the smallest guy on the Oline -- these are massive boys, and hopefully this line gels because they have the potential to be nasty maulers -- even elite. As long as Cable doesn't find a way to mess it up (which is a high probability likelyhood, unfortunately).
  • Abrams and Ferrell's bromance seems special
  • Abrams and his bromance with Carr and or Gruden? Not so sunny
  • Abrams is catching a lot of flak for his mouthiness and rubbing people the wrong way -- I think people need to realize that:

This is a reality show -- we see an edited POV, and not necessarily the whole picture. You are shown what HBO wants you to see. This is sports entertainment, not real life
  • I have zero problem with Abrams chiding Carr about his millions, coming off as hokey or brash -- the kid has a personality and is outgoing, even a little cocky - getting back to the ethos of Tatum, Hayes, Woodson is not a bad thing. 
  • That said, he should not be looking for contact when the team is in shorts. Gruden was 100% right, it's one thing to play aggressive, but you can't put yourself or your teammates in a position to get injured. This is the one thing Abrams needs to dial in and be mature about. There will be plenty of time to hit people when the pads are on. Also? He's a rookie in his first training camp -- you need to earn your cockiness first.

[*]Loved the tribute to Cliff Branch, and seeing the Alumni Dinner. No one holds the team -- past and present -- as a family like Raiders. Once a Raider, Always a Raider, baby.

[*]Where was Jacobs?

[*]Really worried about Antonio's feet. I think he was participating in more practice than was let on by the filming, but who gets frostbite in Napa in August? Just hoping that this isn't a worse situation being kept under wraps.

[*]The opening "nightmare" speech from Gruden gave me goosebumps. I would run through a wall for that man right now

[*]The mash-up/update/EDM-style Autumn Wind was downright disgusting. You. Do. Not. Mess. With. Perfection.

[*]See ya Ollie -- glad we cut this guy immediately. There is no excuse for not taking every advantage of the very few shots you get in life.

[*]Maybe I'm old, but not only do I have zero clue who G-Eazy is, I have zero desire to want to know. 

[*]AB = Afterburners/Float like a butterfly, sting like AB -- noice

[*]Madden got me all fired up -- I'm getting me a 7-man sled to get rid of my hangovers on Sundays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely the most boring opening episode of Hard Knocks I can remember.  This might be the first year I lose interest in watching it.

Boring first episode. I hope it gets better.
I thought it was great. I learned a few things. Despite having the douchy punchable face Carr seems like. cool guy. Some undrafted rookie on a show I barely heard of got his ### cut because according to him "No one told him he HAD TO GO TO TREATMENT For AN INJUry" so he got canned. The Safety they drafted the convo he had with Grudden telling him to stop trying to lay the lumber on his own guys was funny. John Madden looks really bad these days. Chucky is already in Mid Season Form. If anyone has yet to read his autobiography that came out when he was with TB I suggest doing so. I loved the insight he gave. Some of it is still true today. Having been an Eagles fan I found out what the highlighted stuff on the play sheets were among other stuff. 

Gruden must really really be a players coach to let that rookie fool talk to him like that.  
Because Gruden is smart and knows that if you even look at a player wrong let alone say something that might "offend" the player he's running to his agent or the team owner about it. The Rookie Is lucky this isn't prime Gruden Raiders in the early 2000s. 

Interesting how they dance around why Antonio Browns feet were hurt in the first place.  No footwear in the chryo freeze machine prob would’ve been good TV
I imagine this first episode was filmed before the cryo news came out. I expect it to be a thing on the next episode. 

I thought it was great. I learned a few things. Despite having the douchy punchable face Carr seems like. cool guy. Some undrafted rookie on a show I barely heard of got his ### cut because according to him "No one told him he HAD TO GO TO TREATMENT For AN INJUry" so he got canned. The Safety they drafted the convo he had with Grudden telling him to stop trying to lay the lumber on his own guys was funny. John Madden looks really bad these days. Chucky is already in Mid Season Form. If anyone has yet to read his autobiography that came out when he was with TB I suggest doing so. I loved the insight he gave. Some of it is still true today. Having been an Eagles fan I found out what the highlighted stuff on the play sheets were among other stuff. 
Wow. If you think he looked bad in that 7-man-sled scene, realize that clip was from 2000! He’s 19 years OLDER now. He’s looking really feeble  these days :(

Some thoughts:

• Richie Incognito comes across relatively sane. Wondering if this is a new page or simply a ticking time bomb
  • Incognito also looked massive. And he's the smallest guy on the Oline -- these are massive boys, and hopefully this line gels because they have the potential to be nasty maulers -- even elite. As long as Cable doesn't find a way to mess it up (which is a high probability likelyhood, unfortunately).
  • Abrams and Ferrell's bromance seems special
  • Abrams and his bromance with Carr and or Gruden? Not so sunny
  • Abrams is catching a lot of flak for his mouthiness and rubbing people the wrong way -- I think people need to realize that:

This is a reality show -- we see an edited POV, and not necessarily the whole picture. You are shown what HBO wants you to see. This is sports entertainment, not real life
  • I have zero problem with Abrams chiding Carr about his millions, coming off as hokey or brash -- the kid has a personality and is outgoing, even a little cocky - getting back to the ethos of Tatum, Hayes, Woodson is not a bad thing. 
  • That said, he should not be looking for contact when the team is in shorts. Gruden was 100% right, it's one thing to play aggressive, but you can't put yourself or your teammates in a position to get injured. This is the one thing Abrams needs to dial in and be mature about. There will be plenty of time to hit people when the pads are on. Also? He's a rookie in his first training camp -- you need to earn your cockiness first.

[*]Loved the tribute to Cliff Branch, and seeing the Alumni Dinner. No one holds the team -- past and present -- as a family like Raiders. Once a Raider, Always a Raider, baby.

[*]Where was Jacobs?

[*]Really worried about Antonio's feet. I think he was participating in more practice than was let on by the filming, but who gets frostbite in Napa in August? Just hoping that this isn't a worse situation being kept under wraps.

[*]The opening "nightmare" speech from Gruden gave me goosebumps. I would run through a wall for that man right now

[*]The mash-up/update/EDM-style Autumn Wind was downright disgusting. You. Do. Not. Mess. With. Perfection.

[*]See ya Ollie -- glad we cut this guy immediately. There is no excuse for not taking every advantage of the very few shots you get in life.

[*]Maybe I'm old, but not only do I have zero clue who G-Eazy is, I have zero desire to want to know. 

[*]AB = Afterburners/Float like a butterfly, sting like AB -- noice

[*]Madden got me all fired up -- I'm getting me a 7-man sled to get rid of my hangovers on Sundays.
Richie was exactly like that in Buffalo, his teammates loved him and he was well spoken and great insightful answers in the media.  He made a couple pro bowls. One off season, he just went off the rails probably because he wasn’t around a structured setting with teammates.  

Because Gruden is smart and knows that if you even look at a player wrong let alone say something that might "offend" the player he's running to his agent or the team owner about it. The Rookie Is lucky this isn't prime Gruden Raiders in the early 2000s. 
Maybe though I don't that rookie safety seemed like the type to whine and cry about some tough treatment. If I am a Raiders fan, I am slightly worried Gruden doesn't have his whole heart in this and just simply couldn't pass up $100 milliion. I think the team looks like they are going to be pretty bad. And yes it was a 50 minute edited show for entertainment so I know that is ridiculous but that's partly what we are supposed to do with the show- make wild speculations. 

Aside from AB and the rookie being cut I thought the 1st episode was pretty boring. I am hoping it picks up next week.

Gruden must really really be a players coach to let that rookie fool talk to him like that.  
Maybe it's just me but his interactions with the rookie and AB made me think he really doesn't command the respect he used to or needs to.

Feel like the game has passed him by.

Aside from AB and the rookie being cut I thought the 1st episode was pretty boring. I am hoping it picks up next week.
as a Raider fan, I'm GLAD it was a little uneventful (what you call "boring").

I DON'T want mega drama around this team. I want a nice, organized, fun pre-season, where it looks like the team is headed in the right direction.

That, plus mix in some Autumn Wind and old clips of Madden and other Raider Alum, and I'm a happy camper.

1st time viewing this show and I came away wanting more. I guess I missed out on other seasons but I will continue to watch. Wife put up a fuss but actually got into it as well. So bonus. DVR set and ready. Hopefully Gruden doesn't end my dream of a good show and it becomes my nightmare. 

P.S.: Not hating on Carr so much now. I do find that troubling.

is it just me or is anybody else wondering why the AB foot frost bite thing was such a big secret or something...who cares, it was a mistake or whatever....they act like if they just came out and said cyro freeze or whatever that AB would have been suspended or something....I see no difference in frost bite vs a bad hammy or whatever...it happened....why dodge it...?

I DON'T want mega drama around this team. I want a nice, organized, fun pre-season, where it looks like the team is headed in the right direction.

That, plus mix in some Autumn Wind and old clips of Madden and other Raider Alum, and I'm a happy camper.
Oh I definitely get why a fan of the team wants it to be uneventful

is it just me or is anybody else wondering why the AB foot frost bite thing was such a big secret or something...who cares, it was a mistake or whatever....they act like if they just came out and said cyro freeze or whatever that AB would have been suspended or something....I see no difference in frost bite vs a bad hammy or whatever...it happened....why dodge it...?
Absolutely EVERTHING concerning AB is a circus.   He can't blow his nose without some kind of drama or mystery ensuing

Maybe it's just me, but does it seem like Gruden is TOO much of a player's coach now? I can only imagine how Belichick would've reacted to the Abrams thing. Then again, Abrams wouldn't have said that to Hoody.

There's a fine line between being an asswipe & being a patsy. The best coaches can walk that line.

I like Gruden & Mayock, but I'm wondering if this isn't going to be a huge disaster.

Richie was exactly like that in Buffalo, his teammates loved him and he was well spoken and great insightful answers in the media.  He made a couple pro bowls. One off season, he just went off the rails probably because he wasn’t around a structured setting with teammates.  
He seemed like such a different person on Buffalo than he was on the Dolphins, and looked like a great guy on camera...but you know (thanks to repeated document history) that he could go so far off the rails that it's hard to trust that it was only about the right structure, and that how he was on the Bills won't turn in to how he was on the Dolphins, or how he was in that funeral home, etc. at a moment's notice.

It's a huge risk and wasn't a fan of the signing. Being out of football that long and at this age isn't always a recipe for success regardless of any potential mental/control/anger/whatever issues. Raiders have been burned before with unstable players -- Barrett Robbins taking a powder during our last SB still rankles me.

But from the episode, looks like he is involved and engaged in the right way, and hope what we saw is what we get all the time -- plus a return to that pro-bowl form.

We'll see.

If I am a Raiders fan, I am slightly worried Gruden doesn't have his whole heart in this and just simply couldn't pass up $100 milliion. I think the team looks like they are going to be pretty bad. And yes it was a 50 minute edited show for entertainment so I know that is ridiculous but that's partly what we are supposed to do with the show- make wild speculations. 

Maybe it's just me but his interactions with the rookie and AB made me think he really doesn't command the respect he used to or needs to.

Feel like the game has passed him by.
Per your exact point, @Ilov80s, we see what HBO wants us to see for entertainment, and I get that we can only form opinion based on what we are allowed to see.

But the truth is always somewhere in the middle, and I am fine with people coming away with these opinions that Gruden doesn't have it, the team is getting away from him, etc. Just feeds the underestimation of what this team is now, which is vastly different form the team over the last few years in terms of weapons.

We have a tough schedule and may still only win 4 games, but it won't be because Gruden lost the team or doesn't know what he is doing -- this is a team that looks well on its way to turning around. And my money is on the Raiders surprising a whole lot of people -- even more so given the opinions that are being formed out of Hard Knocks.

Again, we'll see.

Boring first episode. I hope it gets better.
Couldn't agree more. I'm a bigtime junkie of the show and always look forward to it every year. Have to admit, I was a bit dissapointed in the first episode tho. I'm a big Gruden fan and was hoping he'd be a bit more "Grudenlike" if you know what I mean. Maybe my expectations were too high as Gruden to me is as personable and funny as any coach on the planet. However, at least for tonight, there wasn't too much **** going on and other than a few funny lines, it was kind of borefest.

Hopefully it will pick up. Though nothing will ever top the Jets Hard Knocks season back in 2010 as that was epic and still to this day the best Hard Knocks season ever but I really had some high hopes going in that Gruden could be as charismatic as Rex was. As I said, just one episode in and I'm still hopeful that Gruden will show his true colors and that this year's version of Hard Knocks will end up being a great watch....fingers crossed

Zero chance Gruden is in it just for the money. For starters espn was paying him 80% of that and that guy is a football diehard/lifer if I’ve ever seen one. He was getting up at 3:15 am while unemployed to drive into a Tampa office he rented to watch tape. Just think about that. 

Ilov80s said:
Maybe though I don't that rookie safety seemed like the type to whine and cry about some tough treatment. If I am a Raiders fan, I am slightly worried Gruden doesn't have his whole heart in this and just simply couldn't pass up $100 milliion. I think the team looks like they are going to be pretty bad. And yes it was a 50 minute edited show for entertainment so I know that is ridiculous but that's partly what we are supposed to do with the show- make wild speculations. 
Depends how you see it. I think Gruden is still being cautious seeing what he can still get away with and what he can't. We also don't know how they acted around one another in OTA's and Mini Camp either. We are only getting a sprinkle of what is going on 

I imagine this first episode was filmed before the cryo news came out. I expect it to be a thing on the next episode. 

Wow. If you think he looked bad in that 7-man-sled scene, realize that clip was from 2000! He’s 19 years OLDER now. He’s looking really feeble  these days :(
Dam I didn't realize that was a clip from 2000. I saw some pics of him lately and man he looks bad 

I was hoping the Eagles had signed him to help the LG spot. I don't want to make this the Incognito thread but I think the main stream media especially reporters who were never around the game were making conclusions off of personal opinion about him and other things. I'll admit some of the stuff there was bad but Martin never went about it the right way either. You don't air laundry to the public and you don't run crying to your parents who are both lawyers. For me very telling when many players stood up and defended Incognito and not Martin. Despite some of the stuff I agree went too Far Martin never seemed to have the mental toughness to be in the game and him getting hurt didn't help. MIA though was a ####show then so it's hard to put total blame on either player there. I think in a better team setting Richie  Incognito is not a problem. Martin would've been weeded out from the league sooner or later too. It was just a bad combination to have with that environment and was a powder keg ready to explode. The sad part is just how emotional the non football crowd got over it. I've been in locker rooms with my team in HS and even been in my Cousins college locker room. My PE Teacher in HS and he's also the football coach wen to Univ of Tenn played with COnridge Halloway went on to play O-line for the Jets before blowing his knee. Some of the stuff I heard from him about those locker rooms and what I heard makes Richie look like a saint.

Terrible mix overall and one reason I can't stand the Kap coverage from Non NFL media. Most have an agenda and don't know #### what they are talking about. Put an image out there that might be totally false. Richie Incognito got blasted like a complete villain but you look at from a football perspective Philbin and Co were the villains and these two were victims of poor culture. Glad Richie has his career turned around though. Dude seems like a cool guy to chill at a bar with throwing back a few and shooting the #### and talking football for hrs with 

Too many people like the "Jersey Shore " aspect to these shows as I like to call them. I personally hate them and why I don't watch many hard knocks episodes but was intrigued as I've always had a soft spot for Oakland going back to the late 90s Chucky days with Gannon, Woodson, Brown, Eric Allen Etc. Most of the Jersey shore drama is always scripted not really real and just made for TV entertainment. Shows like JS and Duck Dynasty got exposed awhile back for not being "reality" TV and a lot of it scripted. I hate that type of show. I really enjoyed this first episode as I can do without the drama. Though I will admit I was disappointed I didn't get any AB diva moments yet.

Users who are viewing this thread