Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
rockaction

Remember When Ronda Rousey Had Over Half This Board Believing She Could Beat Up A Male Pro UFC Fighter?

Recommended Posts

I do. Such betas on this board about certain things at times. 

:lmao:

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I do. Such betas on this board about certain things at times. 

:lmao:

You serious, bro?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chaka said:

You serious, bro?

She's going to be on late night tonight. I remember when it was the height of hubris to suggest that her prowess was even questionable on this board, enough to get you ostracized among the cognoscenti for suggesting otherwise. It was foolish then with everything we know about physics, weight classes, the segregation of sports as necessary tradition, etc.

I remember how stunned I was about the obvious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Chaka said:

You serious, bro?

There are no women who can hang with a man in the same athletic event at the same stage of a career.

High school boys would destroy World Class women in all track events.

Edited by ZenoRazon
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I knew I had Zeno on my side. :lmao:

The strangest of bedfellows on this one.

  • Like 3
  • Laughing 2
  • Thinking 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ZenoRazon said:

There are no women who can hang with a man in the same athletic event at the same stage of a career.

High school boys would destroy World Class women in all track events.

This is true, despite the folklore persistent to the contrary. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I do. Such betas on this board about certain things at times. 

:lmao:

It’s been a while since I’ve seen anyone use this unironically.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, McJose said:

It’s been a while since I’ve seen anyone use this unironically.

You commie. It's completely ironic in its un-irony. It's like wearing a Miller Lite shirt drinking a light beer. 

Two steps ahead and dancing. 

Edited by rockaction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't tell whether I'm serious or not, but Ronda's ### lying on the mat with some other woman from her weight class standing over her wasn't ironic at all. Just lying there, waiting for the ref to stop the madness, supplicated.

I wonder if Martina Navratilova and her cognizance now of the role testosterone plays in athletics will sway anybody. The funniest development in the past ten years has been to watch radical or second wave feminism react to the T in LGBT. It hasn't taken to it so well...especially w/r/t to women's sports. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, rockaction said:

This is true, despite the folklore persistent to the contrary. 

Anyone who knows sports gets the inferiority we see in female athletes IF in with men.

And, any athletic male would destroy any female in a fight****

I grew up with three older sisters, yep, at first all of them were beating me up.  By the time I was 15ish all three of them vs me still wasn't fair.

 

**** sure we have have some wimply weaklings in men, I am talking the average athletic guy.

Edited by ZenoRazon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ZenoRazon said:

Anyone who knows sports gets the inferiority we see in female athletes

Plenty of people on this board know sports. Plenty are insistent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Plenty of people on this board know sports. Plenty are insistent. 

Facts are facts, it really is just that simple.

Yes a pro female arm wrestler can beat a non pro male arm wrestler, but she stands no chance at all vs a male pro arm wrestler.

Edited by ZenoRazon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t recall that- not saying it didn’t happen. I do recall the opposite that any random guy with not combat training could have beat Rousey in the octagon. That’s just as laughable imo.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I don’t recall that- not saying it didn’t happen. I do recall the opposite that any random guy with not combat training could have beat Rousey in the octagon. That’s just as laughable imo.

That was close to the original thread. It was whether the average guy could last a round. Then it veered about midway through. People started insisting that she could beat a pro fighter. It was comical. I remember Cliff Clavin being especially condescending and dogmatic. Wonderful, heady times. I remember being out at dinner and having the women insist she would give a male fighter a go.

Uh, no. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn’t one of the arguments here that Rousey would beat Roy Jones Jr. in the octagon with MMA rules?

...

Side note: Why did Rousey simply disappear after the Holly Holm match? Wasn’t Rousey still a top female MMA fighter? Didn’t she still have a future in the sport?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Wasn’t one of the arguments here that Rousey would beat Roy Jones Jr. in the octagon with MMA rules?

...

Side note: Why did Rousey simply disappear after the Holly Holm match? Wasn’t Rousey still a top female MMA fighter? Didn’t she still have a future in the sport?

She’s probably getting paid more and living an easier life doing movies and WWE.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

There was an actual debate on here that she could beat merriweather.    I will try and find that thread for the lulz

Yes, I think that's what I was thinking of. There were a few of those. I thought people were kidding until they started getting really upset. It was...stunning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ZenoRazon said:

Anyone who knows sports gets the inferiority we see in female athletes IF in with men.

And, any athletic male would destroy any female in a fight****

I grew up with three older sisters, yep, at first all of them were beating me up.  By the time I was 15ish all three of them vs me still wasn't fair.

 

**** sure we have have some wimply weaklings in men, I am talking the average athletic guy.

RR would destroy most non-mma males easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

There was an actual debate on here that she could beat merriweather.    I will try and find that thread for the lulz

As RR apologists go running for the tall grass to delete their posts. :lmao: 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Dan Lambskin said:

People thought she could take down JJ Watt :lmao:

Are we talking a healthy JJ Watt or one with a fractured tibial plateau?  

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tom Servo said:

As RR apologists go running for the tall grass to delete their posts. :lmao: 

 

I just found the thread.  Oh boy there are some classic posts in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, chet said:

RR would destroy most non-mma males easily.

I think any professionally trained mma fighter could beat up an untrained person of equal size and stature. Choke holds and submission holds are a real thing and while the man would have a huge power advantage, a well trained mma person should win. 

That said, all things being equal and no shot, other than that true one off lucky moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rockaction said:

She's going to be on late night tonight. I remember when it was the height of hubris to suggest that her prowess was even questionable on this board, enough to get you ostracized among the cognoscenti for suggesting otherwise. It was foolish then with everything we know about physics, weight classes, the segregation of sports as necessary tradition, etc.

I remember how stunned I was about the obvious.

Okay. It's still an odd choice of topics to revisit for the sole reason of spiking the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rockaction said:

I knew I had Zeno on my side. :lmao:

 

Yes, he does. Think about that for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chaka said:

Okay. It's still an odd choice of topics to revisit for the sole reason of spiking the ball.

I think it was the thread where people wished my ### kicked and there was a lot -- and I mean a lot -- of, for lack of better term (and I don't like this term in its modern application for the most part) "virtue signaling" from the enlightened folk that believed that you were somehow lesser of a person if you questioned the efficacy of a 5'7" woman in a fight against a male professional counterpart.

It was a microcosm of everything wrong with this board, really. It took a perfectly valid point and made it personal. Once the valid point was proven, a spike was in order. 

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Chaka said:

Yes, he does. Think about that for a while.

I know. Strange bedfellows, says I. I still believe West African sprinters have an advantage by genetics but do think that he's given short shrift to socialization and barriers to entry in track. I also think that the same barriers to entry and socialization probably apply to women, too, just not as much as race. But we weren't arguing genetic inferiority; we were arguing, with Rousey, what was. Plus, men and women are indeed constructed differently, down to our biological systems. 

Edited by rockaction

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rockaction said:

I think it was the thread where people wished my ### kicked and there was a lot -- and I mean a lot -- of, for lack of better term (and I don't like this term in its modern application for the most part) "virtue signaling" from the enlightened folk that believed that you were somehow lesser of a person if you questioned the efficacy of a 5'7" woman in a fight against a male professional counterpart.

It was everything wrong with this board, really. It took a perfectly valid point and made it personal. Once the valid point was proven, a spike was in order. 

That's nice. Can you think of anything else that may represent everthing that is wrong?

I'll hang up and listen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chaka said:

That's nice. Can you think of anything else that may represent everthing that is wrong?

I'll hang up and listen.

"With this board." It wasn't a broader comment about society -- at all. I guess there are threads where people wish physical violence would happen and take a very valid point and make it like you've just advocated jailing the innocent or something akin to it, and that was one of them. It got heated, and stupidly so. 

Therefore,

Spike!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know. Arguing that one shouldn't bump the thread to show its ridiculousness and the personal nature of those that were spewing such ridiculousness seems to be saying to take it lying down. "We know you're right, why celebrate about it?"

Well, because. It was vehement and personal and dead wrong. 

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rockaction said:

I know. Strange bedfellows, says I. I still believe West African sprinters have an advantage by genetics but do think that he's given short shrift to socialization and barriers to entry in track. I also think that same barriers to entry and socialization probably apply to women, too, just not as much as race. But we weren't arguing genetic inferiority; we were arguing, with Rousey, what was. Plus, men and women are indeed constructed differently, down to our biological systems. 

That's nice.

I feel congratulations are in order.

Yay, men!!! Good job holding onto this thought rock, and reminding everyone who may have forgotten that men are stronger than women!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rockaction said:

I don't know. Arguing that one shouldn't bump the thread to show its ridiculousness and the personal nature of those that were spewing such ridiculousness seems to be saying to take it lying down. "We know you're right, why celebrate about it?"

Well, because. It was vehement and personal and dead wrong. 

There were a lot of attempts to shame me and rub my face in the dirt in that thread.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chaka said:

That's nice.

I feel congratulations are in order.

Yay, men!!! Good job holding onto this thought rock, and reminding everyone who may have forgotten that men are stronger than women!

Well, then, I'll accept those. In all seriousness, it goes a bit deeper than that. It becomes somehow a personal failing to point out the physically and truthfully and painfully obvious, which often begets a problem. There's a religiosity to the fervency of the insistence to the contrary, manifest in a sort of mythological ethos that permeates the debate. I'm getting older. I can't compete with top women, and likely never could except for in my best sports. But the notion of Rousey and the hysteria (I use that word on purpose) surrounding her was silly. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, rockaction said:

"With this board." It wasn't a broader comment about society -- at all. I guess there are threads where people wish physical violence would happen and take a very valid point and make it like you've just advocated jailing the innocent or something akin to it, and that was one of them. It got heated, and stupidly so. 

Therefore,

Spike!

Uh-huh, "with this board" was the relevant part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jayrod said:

There were a lot of attempts to shame me and rub my face in the dirt in that thread.

Yep. I remember those of us that dissented. And now I should leave it alone because it was obvious and to speak about it betrays a tactless fool, so the argument goes??

Forget that.  There were a lot of people shooting off their mouth, nastily, and it's nice to have it on record. 

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plus, this was supposed to be a slightly fun victory lap and guffaw over some poorly thought-out notions or just bad observational prowess. Getting too serious about it betrays its original intent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, rockaction said:

I don't know. Arguing that one shouldn't bump the thread to show its ridiculousness and the personal nature of those that were spewing such ridiculousness seems to be saying to take it lying down. "We know you're right, why celebrate about it?"

Well, because. It was vehement and personal and dead wrong. 

I know that's what you think you are doing.

I'm not going to pretend that I participated in that thread, maybe a post or two about how she would kick my ###, so I have no idea what was said to you. But you should have done something at the time. JB does not tolerate wishing violence upon others.

You are not enlightening anyone in here unless you think the physical violence perpetrated by men against women for literally (not figuratively) as long as our species has been in this planet has gone entirely unnoticed.

So, congratulations you were right.

Feel better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Plus, this was supposed to be a slightly fun victory lap and guffaw over some poorly thought-out notions or just bad observational prowess. Getting too serious about it betrays its original intent. 

Something about the road to hell and good intentions yadda yadda yadda.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chaka said:

You are not enlightening anyone in here unless you think the physical violence perpetrated by men against women for literally (not figuratively) as long as our species has been in this planet has gone entirely unnoticed.

Where on earth did this come from? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chet said:

RR would destroy most non-mma males easily.

She's destroy every single person on this board (maybe except for matsuki who could throw a casual hook and knock her into the next galaxy)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Why have a thread about a thread when we already have the thread? 

Because this deals with how the board dealt with it, explicitly, and the virtue signaling that goes contra truth I see going on in other threads. It could be even a fun moment. No, a learning moment. No, both!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Where on earth did this come from? 

Good intentions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the record, I had her whupping me. I tend to give excellence a wide berth. But this should be fun. We can argue this all over again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, AhrnCityPahnder said:

She's destroy every single person on this board (maybe except for matsuki who could throw a casual hook and knock her into the next galaxy)

I believe I would not be destroyed by her.  In fact I believe I would beat her handily.  Now Nick Mangold''s sister Holly, she might be a different story. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.