What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Remember When Ronda Rousey Had Over Half This Board Believing She Could Beat Up A Male Pro UFC Fighter? (1 Viewer)

She's destroy every single person on this board (maybe except for matsuki who could throw a casual hook and knock her into the next galaxy)
I believe I would not be destroyed by her.  In fact I believe I would beat her handily.  Now Nick Mangold''s sister Holly, she might be a different story. 
Geeze - I feel really bad, as I once lost to a female in mma - an ex-ballet dancer - she went all Sugar Plum Fairy on my ###!!!

☹️

Wasn’t one of the arguments here that Rousey would beat Roy Jones Jr. in the octagon with MMA rules?

Side note: Why did Rousey simply disappear after the Holly Holm match? Wasn’t Rousey still a top female MMA fighter? Didn’t she still have a future in the sport?
She’s probably getting paid more and living an easier life doing movies and WWE.
Yeah, but that would have been true had she beaten Holm, too. Seems unrelated ... unless you're implying that the Holm loss kind of made Rousey feel like the sport had caught up with her and it was time to bow out.

Geeze - I feel really bad, as I once lost to a female in mma - an ex-ballet dancer - she went all Sugar Plum Fairy on my ###!!!

☹️
In ten years of Judo training and decades of Aikido practice I have known countless women who are more skilled than I ever was or will be. That said I have never encountered a woman in my life who is as strong as I am though they do exist.  Ms. Rousey, not nearly so.  Still, I am getting old, I have an artificial knee, my pelvis bolted together and plates and screws holding together my radius and ulna in my right forearm.  Best I do not put this old machine to a serious stress test.

Yeah, but that would have been true had she beaten Holm, too. Seems unrelated ... unless you're implying that the Holm loss kind of made Rousey feel like the sport had caught up with her and it was time to bow out.
Holy Holm was not her last MMA fight, FWIW.  Amanda Nunes effectively retired Rousey in her next fight.

In ten years of Judo training and decades of Aikido practice I have known countless women who are more skilled than I ever was or will be. That said I have never encountered a woman in my life who is as strong as I am though they do exist.  Ms. Rousey, not nearly so.  Still, I am getting old, I have an artificial knee, my pelvis bolted together and plates and screws holding together my radius and ulna in my right forearm.  Best I do not put this old machine to a serious stress test.
Yeah - I'm with ya.

Seriously, on my side, I was only 1 year into CMA at the time, and she was 12 - the wife of the main instructor - a pro ballet dancer and strong as ####.

Her dexterity was too much for me, and we had limited ground game options in this particular event.

Still she Plum'd me.

She got her ### beat. I am sure MMA is a lot more fun when you are submitting your opponent in 30 seconds. She had her run, left a permanent legacy on MMA and it seemed like a good time to move. Also, perhaps part of her loss to Helm was that she had already somewhat moved on mentally. Like is often said in combat sports, if you are thinking about retiring that means it is time to retire since the margin for error is so thin and the stakes so high. 

I now wish I had gone Aikido - great art imo.
Many of the same principles but extended outward.  Instead of seeking fulcrum points on your hips or shoulders we use wrists and elbows (and sometimes your head, usually through your jaw) to influence a similar disruption of balance. We seek to have you move out over your own hips rather than for us to pin them and pull you over them.  It is more thought than physical.  Still, my favorite Aikidoist is the road runner.  When force is brought to bear he is simply not in its path when it arrives. 

Many of the same principles but extended outward.  Instead of seeking fulcrum points on your hips or shoulders we use wrists and elbows (and sometimes your head, usually through your jaw) to influence a similar disruption of balance. We seek to have you move out over your own hips rather than for us to pin them and pull you over them.  It is more thought than physical.  Still, my favorite Aikidoist is the road runner.  When force is brought to bear he is simply not in its path when it arrives. 
Yeah thnx - really great breakdown. 

I always most hated fighting against BJJ and Aikido.

Later on, I focused most on bagua - finally quitting all forms of actual fighting/sparring. I have not sparred since 2007.

I still walk the circle and do some other internal work - it's all about my health now - mental & physical. 

Once I get healthier, I plan to increase my external work.

To be honest tho, I really hate the distinctions made between the two. The more I learn, the more the same they seem. Maybe that's the point tho.

I dunno - I'm a dabbler - not an expert.

BEEP - BEEP!

I did Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido when younger. I would love to get back into Hapkido. TKD not so much. It's much more about show and while I can still execute an axe kick and could probably do half ### version of some of the flying kicks, it just seems absurd at this point since I would never use them in a real self defense scenario. Aikido sounds interesting. I should really look around my area and see about taking a couple classes again. 

Always wanted to study Aikido and just never did .....       My cousin was big into martial arts before he got sick.  He was always teaching me stuff - when I was younger.  I miss that.

Yeah thnx - really great breakdown. 

I always most hated fighting against BJJ and Aikido.

Later on, I focused most on bagua - finally quitting all forms of actual fighting/sparring. I have not sparred since 2007.

I still walk the circle and do some other internal work - it's all about my health now - mental & physical. 

Once I get healthier, I plan to increase my external work.

To be honest tho, I really hate the distinctions made between the two. The more I learn, the more the same they seem. Maybe that's the point tho.

I dunno - I'm a dabbler - not an expert.

BEEP - BEEP!
They are the same, only not.  take judo, add in some sword principles, step out to those depths, engage primarily the wrist, and proceed with judo principles. At such distance the circular flow of judo becomes much more evident.  Circles within circles my friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido when younger. I would love to get back into Hapkido. TKD not so much. It's much more about show and while I can still execute an axe kick and could probably do half ### version of some of the flying kicks, it just seems absurd at this point since I would never use them in a real self defense scenario. Aikido sounds interesting. I should really look around my area and see about taking a couple classes again. 
Aikido is the least effective form of self defense one can study for hours in/spent verses ability returned for actual defense in a combat situation.  It is the most intellectual and emotionally satisfying, and at a certain level of proficiency, very difficult to obtain, maybe among the best self defense methods.  It is, in my experience, most peoples second form, and for good and practical reasons.  Bunch of folks dancing around each other in circles pretending to do throws where folks are clearly rolling out early.  That can't be effective.

They are the same, only not.  take judo, add in some sword principles, step out to those depths, engage primarily the wrist, and proceed with judo principles. At such distance the circular flow of judo becomes much more evident.  Circles within circles my friend.
Cool - tho, I never did much w/sword - beyond a few forms. I liked the staff.

Do we have any ma thread here? That you know of?

I love this topic, but don't wanna kill rock's thread.

Oh - one final note on my loss to the Sugar Plum Fairy...

...we allowed groin strikes - this really ain't fair imo ☹️

Aikido is the least effective form of self defense one can study for hours in verses ability returned for actual defense in a combat situation.  It is the most intellectual and emotionally satisfying, and at a certain level of proficiency, very difficult to obtain, maybe among the best self defense methods.  It is, in my experience, most peoples second form, and for good and practical reasons.  Bunch of folks dancing around each other in circles pretending to do throws where folks are clearly rolling out early.  That can't be effective.
Gotcha, that is good to know. 

Cool - tho, I never did much w/sword - beyond a few forms. I liked the staff.

Do we have any ma thread here? That you know of?

I love this topic, but don't wanna kill rock's thread.

Oh - one final note on my loss to the Sugar Plum Fairy...

...we allowed groin strikes - this really ain't fair imo ☹️
Similar footwork principles and similar principles as to engagement points.  If you picture both parties engaged you can then readily imagine how we get to a wrist.

Thanks man, but I am actually looking for practicing ma - as - sadly - I am not really a fan anymore of the sport side of it.

Sincere thanks though.
I agree the the thread is mostly about watching the sport, but there are quite a few posts in there over the years about guys who are actively participating in it.   But you would have to dig.

You can always start up a new thread with a specific topic.

I agree the the thread is mostly about watching the sport, but there are quite a few posts in there over the years about guys who are actively participating in it.   But you would have to dig.

You can always start up a new thread with a specific topic.
OH!

Ok, I understand now. Sorry for the quick dismissal. I will definitely dig. 😎👍

You used to instruct, iirc --- ya still doin' that, DW?
I instructed Officers in firearms training and search and seizure law, primarily.  I also participated in their hand to hand training in Koga.  I have never instructed in Judo or Aikido.  (well I have warmed the groups up and gone over a few things until Sensei arrived.) I am still a beginner in both after 10 years and 25 years.  I no longer instruct officers except as a visiting lecturer.  In my dotage I am handling Procurement, purchasing and contracting, except when thy need me desperately.

Oh, I also, for a time, helped out with the kids.  It amuses them to see someone my size and with fully gray hair and beard so someone they consider ancient still able to dive and roll right over Sensei as he is standing at his full height.  It is always unexpected, and therefore exciting and funny.

There are no women who can hang with a man in the same athletic event at the same stage of a career.

High school boys would destroy World Class women in all track events.
This is very easy to prove and doesn't really leave any room for discussion.  When you are strictly dealing with times that nobody else can influence it really is a pointless discussion. 

At least the MMA/fighter discussion could have some differing opinions that could lead to discussions.  

People thought she could take down JJ Watt :lmao:
Did they? I scanned back through and saw I am the one that mentioned JJ Watt and Blake Griffin. I am not reading through that mess (I just checked to have assurance I had not embarrassed myself) but I brought up that I understand skill can beat size but there has to be a threshold somewhere. Did someone actually respond thinking a 130 pound women could take out a 290 pound DE? 

I instructed Officers in firearms training and search and seizure law, primarily.  I also participated in their hand to hand training in Koga.  I have never instructed in Judo or Aikido.  (well I have warmed the groups up and gone over a few things until Sensei arrived.) I am still a beginner in both after 10 years and 25 years.  I no longer instruct officers except as a visiting lecturer.  In my dotage I am handling Procurement, purchasing and contracting, except when thy need me desperately.
Yeah. I remember better now. Thnx.

I had a therapist that was 30 years Aikido, and he described himself the same - a beginner. He could spank me.

From what I can tell - from the outside - Aikido is similar to BJJ, in that there is no participation awarding going on - true humility and business. I like that.

Where I began, it was pretty sucky in that regard. It eventually became a franchise with stupid Master titles (and what-not) after maybe 15 years in. The new master would then open a new franchise.

I left with a "master" that learned better, and started his own thing. Thus, I can't claim any kind of purity - only practicality. 

BTW: I never knew the PoPo were Pokemon fans...

Thanks man, but I am actually looking for practicing ma - as - sadly - I am not really a fan anymore of the sport side of it.

Sincere thanks though.
There's an old thread probably dusty in the archives.  where I got into jiujitsu back in 2008/2009.   GB @Clayton Gray is a pretty legit grappler these days from what I gather.  He started shortly after I did, but unlike me he didn't stop after a back injury a couple years in, and he's got to be 8 or 10 years deep into it by now.    @moleculo was active at one point.  @kutta too.    few others as well.  

Did they? I scanned back through and saw I am the one that mentioned JJ Watt and Blake Griffin. I am not reading through that mess (I just checked to have assurance I had not embarrassed myself) but I brought up that I understand skill can beat size but there has to be a threshold somewhere. Did someone actually respond thinking a 130 pound women could take out a 290 pound DE? 
I thought there was a pole thread at one time that had 4 options

i want to say Floyd Meriwether, JJ, Ron Artest and one other.  I’ll see if I can find it

We all did

There's an old thread probably dusty in the archives.  where I got into jiujitsu back in 2008/2009.   GB @Clayton Gray is a pretty legit grappler these days from what I gather.  He started shortly after I did, but unlike me he didn't stop after a back injury a couple years in, and he's got to be 8 or 10 years deep into it by now.    @moleculo was active at one point.  @kutta too.    few others as well.  
I was really into Muay Thai for about five years and switched over to boxing for a couple years because I realized I really liked punching and it was easier on these old hips to not throw 200 kicks a day.

I haven’t done anything the last couple years. The MMA Lab where I was training moved and got a new morning trainer. I may go back soon. I sure miss it.

AhrnCityPahnder said:
I too have been out of the game for too long.  Started a new job, working long hours, and my jits have fallen by the wayside.  I need to get back.

Also, last time I was in I tore my pec.  That kind of sucked.  Kind of feel like I've become delicate in my mid 40's - what used to stretch now pops.

This is very easy to prove and doesn't really leave any room for discussion.  When you are strictly dealing with times that nobody else can influence it really is a pointless discussion. 

At least the MMA/fighter discussion could have some differing opinions that could lead to discussions.  
So you are saying male dominance in track is so remarkable HS boys are FAR superior to any female, but......we see something different in the MMA?  No we don't, and there really is no debate at all. 

Imagine a female basketball team vs men.  Hell, women play soft ball.

Any male MMA fighter would destroy any female fighter.

RR would destroy most non-mma males easily.
Do you really think a 138 pound woman could beat any athletic man in a fight?  I don't.

I;m 6-2 275 pounds, been lifting since I was 15, what is a 138 pound woman going to do?

So you are saying male dominance in track is so remarkable HS boys are FAR superior to any female, but......we see something different in the MMA?  No we don't, and there really is no debate at all. 

Imagine a female basketball team vs men.  Hell, women play soft ball.

Any male MMA fighter would destroy any female fighter.
No.  I am saying there is no debate for track because it is strictly fact based.  Check the time each person runs the race.  You cannot argue anything about it.  High School Boy runs race in X minutes.  World Class woman runs same race in X+2 minutes.  There is no debating who is faster. 

No.  I am saying there is no debate for track because it is strictly fact based.  Check the time each person runs the race.  You cannot argue anything about it.  High School Boy runs race in X minutes.  World Class woman runs same race in X+2 minutes.  There is no debating who is faster. 
Are you saying we really have a debate about pro male fighters vs female pro fighters?  I see no debate at all.

Users who are viewing this thread