What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 College football thread - It's 2020, yo. Go to the new thread. (1 Viewer)

Why would FSU hire Lane Kiffin? He can’t even win at fau 
Probably wouldn’t, but he’s closer to the aisle you’d be shopping in than Urban.  Realistically the absolute best case scenario would be someone like Aranda, maybe a Tony Elliott, maybe poach the Gus Bus?  Who is even out there that’s even close to realistic?  

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably wouldn’t, but he’s closer to the aisle you’d be shopping in than Urban.  Realistically the absolute best case scenario would be someone like Aranda, maybe a Tony Elliott, maybe poach the Gus Bus?  Who is even out there that’s even close to realistic?  
Why wouldn’t we be shopping in the Urban aisle? FSU is easily a top 10-12 job. I would say USC is better for sure, so he would take that first but going to FSU wouldn’t be like going to Clemson before say, 2015. 

Why wouldn’t we be shopping in the Urban aisle? FSU is easily a top 10-12 job. I would say USC is better for sure, so he would take that first but going to FSU wouldn’t be like going to Clemson before say, 2015. 
It has nothing to do with Clemson, but I don’t think Urban is in the market for a top 10-12 job. Why would he leave his top 3 dream job for a top 10-12 job that is the arch rival to the team where he won two titles?  It makes no sense at all.  I don’t think he’s in the market for any job, but I could maybe understand an NFL gig just to try something different.

On the flip side, what does FSU gain from hiring Urban?  All the reasons people made fun of him over the years are legit.  He does shady ####, his health is an issue/excuse depending who you ask, and he doesn’t stick around too long.  Plus he’d cost like $14M a year. 

It has nothing to do with Clemson, but I don’t think Urban is in the market for a top 10-12 job. Why would he leave his top 3 dream job for a top 10-12 job that is the arch rival to the team where he won two titles?  It makes no sense at all.  I don’t think he’s in the market for any job, but I could maybe understand an NFL gig just to try something different.

On the flip side, what does FSU gain from hiring Urban?  All the reasons people made fun of him over the years are legit.  He does shady ####, his health is an issue/excuse depending who you ask, and he doesn’t stick around too long.  Plus he’d cost like $14M a year. 
I have no idea why he would leave OSU for arguably a step down at USC, or a step down at FSU. He’s a weird guy but he’s in every rumor so I’m sure he’s at least listening. 

FSU would become an instant national title contender again by 2022 with him, so they’d gain that. I think everybody involved would accept that knowing he would also only last 5 years tops. 

I say all this realizing there probably isn’t even a 10% chance of getting him. I have no idea still why he left OSU. 

*if this all goes down I think we get Mark Stoops. 

I have no idea why he would leave OSU for arguably a step down at USC, or a step down at FSU. He’s a weird guy but he’s in every rumor so I’m sure he’s at least listening. 

He didn’t leave Ohio State, he was forced to resign.

If he wants to coach again, his top three dream jobs (OSU, ND, ??) will not be available. I would agree with you that FSU and USC may be pretty enticing, primarily because they are all that would be available. I would imagine USC would be his first choice of the two. 

I predict it’s USC or he sits out another year. 

With the PAC-12 being down, I would think USC looks pretty appealing.  It would probably take Urban a few years to overhaul Clemson but he could be top dog in the PAC almost immediately.  

With the PAC-12 being down, I would think USC looks pretty appealing.  It would probably take Urban a few years to overhaul Clemson but he could be top dog in the PAC almost immediately.  
I don’t know about usc but FSU is at least two really good recruiting classes from competing with the heavyweights. However, he could get to 10-2 in the acc pretty quick I’d imagine. 

I've got fat fingers too.  Hate it when I hit the 1 instead of the 2.

FSU would become an instant national title contender again by 2022 with him, so they’d gain that. I think everybody involved would accept that knowing he would also only last 5 years tops. 

I say all this realizing there probably isn’t even a 10% chance of getting him. I have no idea still why he left OSU. 

*if this all goes down I think we get Mark Stoops. 
Hopefully mark stoops brings his brother Mike. 

1. USC has a female president who will not hire Urban on her watch. She's going to die on that hill.

2. Why is Florida State in such a hurry to fire Taggart?  What happened to all his recruiting classes and the patience he was promised?  It hasn't even been 2 full years.  Seems a bit hasty to me.  Desperate even.

3. Dallas just throttled the Eagles.  There isn't a vacancy there.  Garrett isn't going anywhere and there are more jobs in the NFL coming open sooner than Dallas.  Dan Quinn, Anthony Lynn, Adam Gase, the 26 year old in Cincy...all will be fired before Garrett.  Just a point of clarification.

^^ in regards to #2 I think people had patience to catch up to Clemson etc but you can’t be 7-11 at FSU and almost lose to Louisiana Monroe in overtime (who is horrible) and preach rebuilding. Rebuilding does not mean beating Louisiana Monroe because they missed an extra point in overtime. That wasn’t part of the conversation. 

His recruiting class is fine and the qb he has coming in looks good but whatever, anybody can recruit here. 

1. USC has a female president who will not hire Urban on her watch. She's going to die on that hill.

2. Why is Florida State in such a hurry to fire Taggart?  What happened to all his recruiting classes and the patience he was promised?  It hasn't even been 2 full years.  Seems a bit hasty to me.  Desperate even.

3. Dallas just throttled the Eagles.  There isn't a vacancy there.  Garrett isn't going anywhere and there are more jobs in the NFL coming open sooner than Dallas.  Dan Quinn, Anthony Lynn, Adam Gase, the 26 year old in Cincy...all will be fired before Garrett.  Just a point of clarification.
3- Garrett lasts until mid January at least.  If they go 10-6, win the NFC Least but don't at least make NFCC game, it's 60-40 he's gone. IMO. 

Urbs went from Utah --> Florida --> retirement #1 --> OSU --> retirement #2.  The next job has to be up from OSU, and there aren't many of those. ND, Bama, etc. none of whom are looking for a coach.  I can't see him going to the left coast for USC as his career outside of Utah AFAIK has been east of the Mississippi and he may not have any sway, connections, etc. out that way.  Then again, Urban Meyer's name gets you inside a lot of recruits' living rooms no matter where you go.

IMO, I can't see him taking the FSU job as it seems a step back -- unless he's looking for a challenge.  If he goes, maybe FSU will be Free Shoes University again.

Just saw this on twitter - kind of hard to believe - 

Mac Jones will be the first backup QB to start due to injury in Saban's entire tenure at Bama. That's up there with the winning streak over unranked teams.

On one hand I think it would be great to see UF add a quality home and home. On the other hand I feel like they're trolling UCF.

@ScottStricklin: Attention ADs from the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12 or Pac-12 … @GatorsFB is looking to add additional Home-and-Home series against P5 opponents. Let’s connect and schedule quality games the fans want to see! #GoGators

On one hand I think it would be great to see UF add a quality home and home. On the other hand I feel like they're trolling UCF.

@ScottStricklin: Attention ADs from the ACC, Big Ten, Big 12 or Pac-12 … @GatorsFB is looking to add additional Home-and-Home series against P5 opponents. Let’s connect and schedule quality games the fans want to see! #GoGators
It can be both 

Meyer might be the new Jon Gruden of coaching rumors.  Or is Gruden still the Gruden of coaching rumors?

JaxBill said:

Joe Castiglione @soonerad

Ok, so you have my attention...... #Sooners #Gators

Capella said:
Oh hey it’s guy whose team won the peach bowl over Harbaugh after a decade in the gutter feeling frisky 
Just pointing out that dumpster fires drop you out of the top 10 job opps.  I should know (muschamp/mclwain).  It'll be awesome when fsu drops 50 on uf this year to save taggert's job this year though.

Just pointing out that dumpster fires drop you out of the top 10 job opps.  I should know (muschamp/mclwain).  It'll be awesome when fsu drops 50 on uf this year to save taggert's job this year though.
I don’t know that that’s true. Muschamp was a great score for UF, he just ended up being a bust. Don’t know what they were thinking with Mac however. 

I was under the impression it was the administration that forced the “retirement”. 
President Drake took some liberty regarding what the board actually decided about Meyer, so Meyer was (and probably still is) pretty bitter towards Drake. Probably even bitter enough to leave over it. But Drake would have cost the school millions if he fired Meyer without cause. So no, Meyer wasn't forced to walk away from millions by those that owed it to him.

He walked away because his family valued his life more than those millions. He is sick. And was sick when he was at Florida. He literally signed a contract with his family that he would stop coaching if his health became questionable, before they were willing to let him accept the OSU job. When he collapsed on the sideline against Indiana last year, I knew his family would tell him he had to stop. 

He walked away because his family valued his life more than those millions. He is sick. And was sick when he was at Florida. He literally signed a contract with his family that he would stop coaching if his health became questionable, before they were willing to let him accept the OSU job. When he collapsed on the sideline against Indiana last year, I knew his family would tell him he had to stop. 
I honestly can’t believe you believe any of that. 

I honestly can’t believe you believe any of that. 
From: https://www.crosswalk.com/blogs/jim-daly/urban-meyers-contract-with-his-family.html

But his wife said that if he ever signed another football contract he was going to have to sign a contract with the family, too. Meyer thought that was a good idea, so much so that when he held a news conference announcing his new contract with Ohio State, he shared the family contract (which was written by his daughter, Nicki) with the press.

What did it contain? Ten promises:

1. My family will always come first.

2. I will take care of myself and maintain good health.

3. I will go on a trip once a year with Nicki -- MINIMUM.

4. I will not go more than nine hours a day at the office.

5. I will sleep with my cell phone on silent.

6. I will continue to communicate daily with my kids.

7. I will trust God's plan and not be overanxious.

8. I will keep the lake house.

9. I will find a way to watch Nicki and Gigi play volleyball.

10. I will eat three meals a day.

Current AP Poll 1.

Nick Saban $8.86 mil

2. Ed O $4 mil

3. Ryan Day $4.5 mil

4. Dabo $9.3 Mil

5. Lincoln Riley $6.38 mil

6. James Franklin $5.65 mil

7. Dan Mullen $6.1 mil

8. Brian Kelly ??

9. Malzahn $6.83 mil

10. Kirby Smart $6.87 mil

11. Cristobal $2.6 mil

12. Wittingham 4 mil

Awkward denial

@NicoleAuerbach: "If Coach (Taggart) were hit by a bus tomorrow, we would not target Coach Meyer, period," Coburn said. "I say that with all due respect to Coach Meyer, but we would not target Steve Spurrier either." https://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/fsu/football/2019/10/22/florida-state-football-debunking-rumors-flying-fsu-program-willie-taggart-ubran-meyer-kendal-briles/4048781002/
So if Taggart gets hit by a bus on November 1st, does that mean they can go after Urban Liar?

Current AP Poll 1.

Nick Saban $8.86 mil

2. Ed O $4 mil

3. Ryan Day $4.5 mil

4. Dabo $9.3 Mil

5. Lincoln Riley $6.38 mil

6. James Franklin $5.65 mil

7. Dan Mullen $6.1 mil

8. Brian Kelly ??

9. Malzahn $6.83 mil

10. Kirby Smart $6.87 mil

11. Cristobal $2.6 mil