What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 College football thread - It's 2020, yo. Go to the new thread. (4 Viewers)

I'm young no kids, I can absorb it without collateral damage.
Sorry that joke fell flat. Ohio State is a great team, they can beat anyone IMO. I wouldn’t be shocked at all if they not only beat Clemson, but win it all. As far as the other game goes, these meaningless bowls are impossible to predict. Long layoffs. What’s the team’s motivation? What players end up not even playing? Back in my gambling days I learned not to bet too much on those. Just a little bit to make them interesting. Good luck though 👍

@janimal45: Clemson OC Jeff Scott reportedly is expected to become new HC at USF
That’s a good get, very happy for him. I wonder how long before we call Chad Morris and see if he wants to work on the offensive gameplan. 

Last edited by a moderator:
That’s a good get, very happy for him. I wonder how long before we call Chad Morris and see if he wants to work on the offensive gameplan. 
@TigerFanForum: It’s not official but supposedly Dabo has told the team that Scott is leaving for USF and Streeter moving into his place and Richardson moving into Streeter’s place. He’ll take his dad as the McCorvey person. Waiting on formalities, I’ve heard.

@TigerFanForum: It’s not official but supposedly Dabo has told the team that Scott is leaving for USF and Streeter moving into his place and Richardson moving into Streeter’s place. He’ll take his dad as the McCorvey person. Waiting on formalities, I’ve heard.
That’s funny about Brad.  Brad’s “role” with the team the last few years is literally to make sure the freshman football players can find their classrooms and where to eat the first week. That’s it. Streeter should do well, he’s been the Qb coach since Watson. 

Succinctly: I feel like Michigan would go 7-5 against TAMU’s schedule, losing to the same five teams. Conversely, I think A&M goes 8-4 against Michigan’s schedule ... Iowa would give A&M trouble.
I was hoping Michigan would draw A&M. Now I'm left hoping Alabama cares about the Citrus Bowl. 

Sorry that joke fell flat. Ohio State is a great team, they can beat anyone IMO. I wouldn’t be shocked at all if they not only beat Clemson, but win it all. As far as the other game goes, these meaningless bowls are impossible to predict. Long layoffs. What’s the team’s motivation? What players end up not even playing? Back in my gambling days I learned not to bet too much on those. Just a little bit to make them interesting. Good luck though 👍
Joke was great, don't sweat it. I loved its literalism.  

Apparently getting tickets for this tomorrow. Seems like a decent bowl to go to. 
I'm not so sure...seems like several on both teams aren't going to be playing?  Still a couple weeks out, but either way, I don't expect it to be much of a game.

I'm not so sure...seems like several on both teams aren't going to be playing?  Still a couple weeks out, but either way, I don't expect it to be much of a game.
Oh I don’t really care about the game, just the atmosphere. All bowls other than the playoff are pretty meaningless. Should be a good crowd/fun time. 

Also I think this game might be a bigger draw for Gopher fans, no?
Oh, yeah - first Jan 1 bowl game in 5 years, which was their first in since the 60's - and even then they knew they weren't good enough. Big 10 just had a massive drop after the top 3 that year. There is an aura of legitimacy around the program this time around.

I don't think any of that matters if Auburn shows up though. Not like Purdue last year, but they're better up front on both sides of the ball.

Sounds like Jeff Scott to USF for 2-3 years before he goes to an SEC/ACC school. Good hire for the bulls. 

Tom Servo said:
Then where is the link for Grove City and their gaudy offensive numbers?

Does GC have a football team? I lived about 20 miles from GC and SRU for eight years but do not recall if GC had a team. What years were you there? 

Capella said:
I’m sorry, Arkansas hired an offensive line coach to be their head hog? That’ll work out I’m sure 
They got beat in consecutive seasons by a former OL coach promoted to the head job back in 2012/2013, so it must have made an impression on them. 

Gotta replicate the Kyle Flood era any way you can. 

I honestly can't believe Wisconsin is favored.  I will be betting a lot on Oregon ML.
Both teams have some talent up front on each side of the ball, but unlike past Wisconsin teams this offense is not completely reliant on the run game. Cephus is a legit vertical threat and while Coan's nothing special unlike past Badger QB's he's good enough...and it certainly helps having someone like Cephus. I think this may be the best non-playoff game.

gump said:
Saban managed the Hurts-Tua situation masterfully.
He did. Still, in Smart's defense, he doesnt have the built up credibility of Saban nor the championships in the bank. UGA is still hearing 1980 every year. UGA was super fired up to have the success they were having and only wanted to get over that little tiny hump.

I can see being conservative there. Alabama had to win it all or it was a "bad" year. Its not a fair comparison. 

Capella said:
I’m sorry, Arkansas hired an offensive line coach to be their head hog? That’ll work out I’m sure 
Only if he brought a binder to the interview. Its how Ed O got his job, after all, that super impressive binder.

I have to wonder if Joe Alleva, who i loathed as A.D., isnt throwing up the middle finger to lots of folks in Baton Rouge these days.

Both teams have some talent up front on each side of the ball, but unlike past Wisconsin teams this offense is not completely reliant on the run game. Cephus is a legit vertical threat and while Coan's nothing special unlike past Badger QB's he's good enough...and it certainly helps having someone like Cephus. I think this may be the best non-playoff game.
Was the first half of the big ten champ game not charactistic of him? I thought the dude looked pretty good. I am admittedly ignorant on him.

Was the first half of the big ten champ game not charactistic of him? I thought the dude looked pretty good. I am admittedly ignorant on him.
I think that was the top-end. I wasn't surprised watching it unfold given what else I've seen out of him this year, but I also can't recall a stretch that hot either. I've never seen him play poorly, but I also missed the first Ohio game so perhaps there is something worth unpacking from that game - 10-17, 108 yds, 2 turnovers, and 5 sacks in a 38-7 L.

Surprised Eli Drinkwitz got a Power 5 job so quickly but he was pretty damn good running NC State's offense with Ryan Finley and obviously did well at App State with Satterfield's players.  

Then where is the link for Grove City and their gaudy offensive numbers?

Does GC have a football team? I lived about 20 miles from GC and SRU for eight years but do not recall if GC had a team. What years were you there? 
I was there from ‘82-‘86. They just played in their second consecutive bowl game. Before this latest run, they’d lost 30 games in a row. :bag:

strykerpks said:
@General Malaise Bucky vs Ducky. I know we're having beers in a week or so but whatcha got?
I like my Ducks getting 3.  We can discuss the wager steaks stakes when you're here, but off the top of my head, I'd take some of your delicious sausage delivered right to my front door again. :oldunsure:

I could return fire with {insert your choice here - craft beer/edibles/pinot noirs}

ETA:  we can bet steaks too if you like.  I need to eat. :bag:

I think that was the top-end. I wasn't surprised watching it unfold given what else I've seen out of him this year, but I also can't recall a stretch that hot either. I've never seen him play poorly, but I also missed the first Ohio game so perhaps there is something worth unpacking from that game - 10-17, 108 yds, 2 turnovers, and 5 sacks in a 38-7 L.
I would agree that Coan played his best half on Saturday, but he was also pretty darn good against Miami in the Pinstripe bowl last year (turnover chain my f*cking a$$). OSU defense was on fire that first game, at home, after the fighting Illinioses shocked Bucky with a last second win. I'm certainly not making excuses for him but there wasn't much he could do. Curious that Chase Young played that game but was suspended for Rutgers and Maryland. Hmmm :tinfoilhat:

That said, Coan is eleventy times better than Hornibrook and probably better than anything they've had in the 2000's, though that's not exactly a high bar (Russell Wilson notwithstanding). He's going to be a clip board holder in the NFL so he should likely be drafted late or added somewhere afterwards. I would agree that having a legit threat like Cephus helps, especially in play action. JT learning to catch out of the backfield adds another dynamic to their offense too. They don't have the TE threat that they've had over the years but they're serviceable. Losing the #2 WR AJ Taylor is a big blow also.

Wisconsin will score on Oregon. IMO the key is the Oregon OL, which I know nothing about. Bucky can get gashed by the run and the secondary has some holes so if they have time to throw it could be a shootout. I may take the over.

I like my Ducks getting 3.  We can discuss the wager steaks stakes when you're here, but off the top of my head, I'd take some of your delicious sausage delivered right to my front door again. :oldunsure:

I could return fire with {insert your choice here - craft beer/edibles/pinot noirs}

ETA:  we can bet steaks too if you like.  I need to eat. :bag:
:hifive:

I may or may not be bringing some sausage already :oldunsure:

Wisconsin will score on Oregon. IMO the key is the Oregon OL, which I know nothing about. Bucky can get gashed by the run and the secondary has some holes so if they have time to throw it could be a shootout. I may take the over.
Seems to me it's the Oregon DL...if they can't get off the field and Wisconsin is running up and down the field, the Oregon offense is of no consequence.  Taylor's a beast, but the game plan against Wisconsin is going to be "stop the run".  It always is.

Seems to me it's the Oregon DL...if they can't get off the field and Wisconsin is running up and down the field, the Oregon offense is of no consequence.  Taylor's a beast, but the game plan against Wisconsin is going to be "stop the run".  It always is.
Yeah, absolutely true. But we saw this in 2011? when Oregon won 45-38 or whatever against Wilson. Bucky just isn't fit for a shootout. They want a dogfight. If the Oregon D sells out to stop Taylor, so be it. Not many teams can do it over 4 quarters. 

Missouri paying Drinkwitz $4MM/year off of one season with an inherited team seems like malpractice by that AD. 

Doug B said:
Succinctly: I feel like Michigan would go 7-5 against TAMU’s schedule, losing to the same five teams. Conversely, I think A&M goes 8-4 against Michigan’s schedule ... Iowa would give A&M trouble.
So would Notre Dame. 

The draft eligible players for Bama had a players-only meeting last night (per Herbie)...will be interesting to see if anything different comes from that vs 8-9 of them sitting the Bowl game out.

The draft eligible players for Bama had a players-only meeting last night (per Herbie)...will be interesting to see if anything different comes from that vs 8-9 of them sitting the Bowl game out.
Usually they not only want that, but to skip practices.  

Users who are viewing this thread