What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 College football thread - It's 2020, yo. Go to the new thread. (6 Viewers)

Switzer had also been out of coaching for six years. Riley has the perfect setup in Norman--complete control of the organization. Who in that position would leave to be constantly second-guessed by Jerry Jones?
Not that you're not wrong - because you're not - if a guy is jonesing to coach in the NFL and to do it for a team with the appeal of Dallas, some guy may swallow his pride to do it.

Switzer had also been out of coaching for six years. Riley has the perfect setup in Norman--complete control of the organization. Who in that position would leave to be constantly second-guessed by Jerry Jones?
I agree that Riley has the perfect situation in Norman and it would be hard for him to choose to leave.  But money talks out loud.  I know it's been awhile but Chip Kelly seemed to have pretty nice setup at Oregon but chose to try the NFL.  

I think most guys like Riley will want to try their hand at the highest level at some point. The nfl is the biggest pro sports league in the country, maybe the world, and the Cowboys somehow are the most popular team. I know OU fans love their program but it’s not the Dallas Cowboys. No college program is. There is nothing in college that is as big as the the possibility of being in the super bowl. 

I think most guys like Riley will want to try their hand at the highest level at some point. The nfl is the biggest pro sports league in the country, maybe the world, and the Cowboys somehow are the most popular team. I know OU fans love their program but it’s not the Dallas Cowboys. No college program is. There is nothing in college that is as big as the the possibility of being in the super bowl. 
From a business perspective in my (licensed apparel) world...you are 100% right about the size of the Cowboys.  But they are an anomaly (as are the Yankees), and big schools are getting closer, and passing the majority of pro teams across all leagues.

My business though doesn't include TV/media...which is obviously the massive difference-maker.  Or international...which boosts the NBA mostly.

Regarding coaching moves...it's up to the individual...no one knows what's most important to them except them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who knows really.  Everyone just assumes Riley would want to coach in the NFL.  Bob Stoops had those opportunities and always seemed to play them into raises.  I will say with Riley only being 36, unless he falls flat on his face in the NFL he would have plenty of time to come back to a nice gig in college if the NFL didn't work out.  Or he could stick around at OU for 5 more years  to try to win a championship and still be a young-ish NFL HC.  :shrug:  

Jerry Jones is going to throw ridiculous amount of money to Lincoln Riley this off season... ?  OU connection, hottest college coach.  Barry Switzer 2.0?  

Will Riley land in Dallas?  
Why would Riley leave to coach for a loon?  Look at Saban he got a taste of that #### sandwich and jumped ship ASAP back to college.  Switzer talked to Riley and gave him the low down on coaching in the NFL and for Jones.  Hell Jones won a Superbowl in Dallas and still rated the OU job way above the Cowboys .

SHIZNITTTT said:
Why would Riley leave to coach for a loon?  Look at Saban he got a taste of that #### sandwich and jumped ship ASAP back to college.  Switzer talked to Riley and gave him the low down on coaching in the NFL and for Jones.  Hell Jones won a Superbowl in Dallas and still rated the OU job way above the Cowboys .
:moneybag: :moneybag:

Garrett is only making $6MM/yr. Riley makes the same.
He'd offer Riley more if he feels he's the guy.  Riley may also think about the challenge with the recent success of offensive (especially QB) coaches now in the NFL. He may not take the job this off season or next.  Maybe if he wins a title at OU.  But I think he'll certainly be tempted by Jones.  

Of course Jones can. But will he? He doesn't have a history of breaking the bank. And that's exactly what it would take given Riley would have to be pried away from unfinished business if OU doesn't win the NC this year.

Of course Jones can. But will he? He doesn't have a history of breaking the bank. And that's exactly what it would take given Riley would have to be pried away from unfinished business if OU doesn't win the NC this year.
I have no idea at all. I’m just saying I don’t see it as a long-shot. I don’t think there is much OU could do if Lincoln wanted the job. 

I mean I love college football more than the next guy. But OU is playing West Virginia this weekend (and that’s like one of their 6-7 hardest games) and the Cowboys are playing the eagles on Sunday night. If you’re a hot shot coach which is more enticing? Easy decision. 

Honestly never heard of him until today. :shrug:
This is amazing to me.  I thought you followed Oregon football much closer.  Pittman is a true freshman receiver who was getting huge praise in spring and fall camp catching everything thrown to him.  He made several key 3rd down catches the past few weeks and quite frankly should be starting.  It is just a matter of time.

Tom Servo said:
Today is the 4 year anniversary of Michigan botching a punt snap to let Sparty win.  Surrender cobras for everyone in Ann Arbor!!!
I remember watching the game and what I always remember is when they scanned the crowd for reactions.  There were two guys, one on his 30s or 40s and one in 60s or 70s....maybe father and son.  They were wearing MSU jackets and hats in a sea of blue and yellow.  Neither was cheering and the older gentleman looked at the younger gentleman and you could clearly read his lips saying, "Let's go." and they immediately started heading for the aisle.

In that brief second you could just sense their thought process: Great.  We won.  We'll celebrate on the way home.  But right now, let's get the hell out of here.

I remember watching the game and what I always remember is when they scanned the crowd for reactions.  There were two guys, one on his 30s or 40s and one in 60s or 70s....maybe father and son.  They were wearing MSU jackets and hats in a sea of blue and yellow.  Neither was cheering and the older gentleman looked at the younger gentleman and you could clearly read his lips saying, "Let's go." and they immediately started heading for the aisle.

In that brief second you could just sense their thought process: Great.  We won.  We'll celebrate on the way home.  But right now, let's get the hell out of here.
What were they worried about? As somebody who has now been to the big house multiple times, it’s not uhhh...hostile. 

I had a joke here to add but I guess we can’t do that. 

Premier said:
I mean Nick Saban left a dynamite job at LSU to go coach the freaking Miami Dolphins. 
Socially, Saban was the King of Baton Rouge at the time of his departure, with aftereffects that even lasted several years into Les Miles' tenure.

While fervent Tiger fans hadn't forgiven him ... circa 2008-09, you'd still run into references to Saban all throughout Baton Rouge: the condo he rented, the place he bought insurance, the places his wife got her hair done and went shopping, the restaurants where they liked to eat, etc. Anything they had touched in Baton Rouge had a little extra cachet and people loved dropping the Saban name.

And it wasn't like Saban was Bobby Bowden or JoePa and coached LSU for 30+ years -- that imprint was developed in maybe three years, for sure by the end of the title season.

State beating UM had become pretty routine by that time (6 wins outta 7), so you’re right, they just figured, Great we won. :yawn:   :shrug:

:P   ;)

This is amazing to me.  I thought you followed Oregon football much closer.  Pittman is a true freshman receiver who was getting huge praise in spring and fall camp catching everything thrown to him.  He made several key 3rd down catches the past few weeks and quite frankly should be starting.  It is just a matter of time.
Hey man, recruiting just isn't my thing.  I know a guy who claims he's never heard of the Allman Brothers before, so there are people in this world that live under rocks.  

UCLA beats Stanford, loses to Oregon State.

Stanford beats Washington, loses to UCLA.

The Pac-12 is wild ... just imagine if anyone could actually see the games?
Unfortunately, I can.  And sometimes do.  

Huge game for the Ducks and their top target, Marvin Pittman on Saturday.  Little bummed it's 12:30 kick as I'll be patrolling the sideline of the U8 Milltown Rapinoes.  Praying for a rainout.  

Hey man, recruiting just isn't my thing.  I know a guy who claims he's never heard of the Allman Brothers before, so there are people in this world that live under rocks.  
Music is definately not my thing for sure.  I am not ashamed at all to admit that.  

I think Pittman makes a statement tomorrow.

Unfortunately, I can.  And sometimes do.  

Huge game for the Ducks and their top target, Marvin Pittman on Saturday.  Little bummed it's 12:30 kick as I'll be patrolling the sideline of the U8 Milltown Rapinoes.  Praying for a rainout.  
Michael Pittman.   :lol:   His bro is a stud starting WR for USC.

Yep, I will check out the classes after signing day. But it would just be too exhausting following the recruiting cycle. Now throw in the transfer portal and all I want is for it to be gameday. 

Rainouts in soccer?  No wonder America's kids are SAWFT.
I was mostly kidding.  Only get rained out if there's lightning (very rare for Pac NW) or the fields are just drenched and playing on them will destroy them.  Otherwise, it's game on, rain or shine in Oregon.

Though a bolt of lightning tomorrow wouldn't bother me.  HUGE game for our Oregon Pittmans.

They have an unhealthy obsession with college football due to there being nothing else of substance in their state and also due to the fact that the state has the worst public education system this side of Mississippi. 

Also they are backwards hicks cc: @jplvr

@Joe Bryant

look, I get it, we all want a more tolerant and kind world and we want this board’s interactions to reflect that.  But trash talk is inherent to college football and genuinely all in good fun.  I know that we went through this once before with titles in this thread and, in your great and unmatched wisdom, you determined that some provocative titles were ok.  And I think that all of the posters in this thread are onboard with the basic tenets of rivalry and #### talking.  So I ask that there be a little leeway here. 

I would be happy to be the personal moderator of this thread and monitor when anything gets truly out of line.  I am expert.

Users who are viewing this thread