What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 College football thread - It's 2020, yo. Go to the new thread. (8 Viewers)

Bama fans, any chance Taulia takes over as the starter? Looks like he's played 2 games.  If he's half as dynamic as his brother I didn't know if Bama would try to use that for style points. Or is it settled that he will redshirt if possible?

Not sure OSU has the horses to keep up this year.  A Baylor rematch would be interesting, but their mental stability might be in question after what happened last week.
A little shetland pony or something should be enough, maybe a greyhound or two. OU isn't that great. 

Remember the Cotton and Peach were not part of the BCS then so they are excluded. Also no Big East now so I will put in highest rated group of 5. 

Sugar (National Title): #1 LSU vs #2 OSU

Orange: #3 Clemson (ACC) vs #17 Cincinnati 

Rose: #6 Oregon (Pac) vs #9 Penn State (BIG)

Fiesta: #8 Oklahoma vs #4 Georgia (highest at-large) 

so there ya go. Clemson gets screwed. Orange is gross  Fiesta and Rose get two great games that are completely meaningless. 
Pre-BCS (all games played on New Year's Day):

Sugar: LSU v Clemson

Orange: Georgia v [highest at-large]

Cotton: Oklahoma v Alabama

Rose: Ohio St. v Oregon/Utah 

With luck, we'd have a split national championship and have something to argue about for years to come.

Bama fans, any chance Taulia takes over as the starter? Looks like he's played 2 games.  If he's half as dynamic as his brother I didn't know if Bama would try to use that for style points. Or is it settled that he will redshirt if possible?
No chance this year. In Spring who knows...Mac will be the returning Senior, Taulia will have another year, and a very highly touted QB from Cali will arrive in January.  Taulia had a lot of interest from LSU too, so some are predicting a transfer.  He's definitely not at his brother's level though.

These meaningless bowl games are more meaningless by the year because of this very reason.
Absolutely true.

Just rewinding the tape a few decades ... I wonder why sitting out bowl games wasn't a thing back in the 1980s and 1990s? There were certainly plenty of guys with NFL futures playing in meaningless bowl games. For instance, was there a good reason, in retrospect for Barry Sanders to play in the 1988 Holiday Bowl? To stay in long enough to amass 222 yards and 5 TDs in a 62-14 rout? That almost certainly wouldn't happen today.

I know that in absolute terms, the money is bigger today. But still ... $500 K a year set you up very nicely 30 years ago.

Absolutely true.

Just rewinding the tape a few decades ... I wonder why sitting out bowl games wasn't a thing back in the 1980s and 1990s? There were certainly plenty of guys with NFL futures playing in meaningless bowl games. For instance, was there a good reason, in retrospect for Barry Sanders to play in the 1988 Holiday Bowl? To stay in long enough to amass 222 yards and 5 TDs in a 62-14 rout? That almost certainly wouldn't happen today.

I know that in absolute terms, the money is bigger today. But still ... $500 K a year set you up very nicely 30 years ago.
Because back then, men were men and the idea of bailing on your team was unconscionable.  Players bought into the idea of TEAM first.  

And, the bowl games meant more back then too.  They are meaningless today unless they are the final four.  It's sad, but it's the truth.  

Don't disagree at all but take someone like that tackle from Iowa that is projected to go top 5-10.  Why would he be playing at all in November?  These games are meaningless too not just the non-playoff bowl games.
Honestly don't have an answer to this.  
There seems to be a balance somewhere. Would NFL teams hold it against a Top-5 draft prospect who purposefully sat out their last college season? Let's say Tua Tagovailoa withdrew from Alabama after this past spring semester. He announces that he will go to Nike headquarters (or wherever) and train privately to prepare for the 2020 NFL Draft.

Does the NFL go along? Or does the league collectively play the "He's been away from the game too long" card at the 2020 Draft and thus cause Tua to fall far enough to have made the decision to skip college ball in 2019 not worth it?

There seems to be a balance somewhere. Would NFL teams hold it against a Top-5 draft prospect who purposefully sat out their last college season? Let's say Tua Tagovailoa withdrew from Alabama after this past spring semester. He announces that he will go to Nike headquarters (or wherever) and train privately to prepare for the 2020 NFL Draft.

Does the NFL go along? Or does the league collectively play the "He's been away from the game too long" card at the 2020 Draft and thus cause Tua to fall far enough to have made the decision to skip college ball in 2019 not worth it?
They don’t care at all. He had enough tape to be fine. If they have enough tape on you they’d probably prefer you don’t play. 

NFLPA president Eric Winston applauds the moves by Leonard Fournette and Christian McCaffrey as smart financial decisions.

Because back then, men were men and the idea of bailing on your team was unconscionable.  Players bought into the idea of TEAM first.  

And, the bowl games meant more back then too.  They are meaningless today unless they are the final four.  It's sad, but it's the truth.  
It's not sad at all. 

What's sad is the highest level of college football is the only level of football anywhere without a decent playoff.... and that is because of the bowls. #### the bowls!

Top College Football Players Of All Time:

The gap between #1 and #2  WOW. 

Rank        Player                                         No. 1 votes            Total  points

1         Herschel Walker, RB, Georgia       31                           455

2         Tim Tebow, QB,  Florida                  8                            286

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/cfb-150-georgia-herschel-walker-sporting-news-top-college-football-player-all-time/1ax03yb8b23me1urn4xzqkdays

We do have more wins against you this century than Michigan. :lol:
So do Wisconsin, Purdue, and Michigan State. And Iowa and Illinois have as many as MIchigan.

But Penn State is leading the pack. Probably does deserve to be OSU biggest rival in the eyes of graduating high school seniors.

B1G team wins over Ohio State since January 1st, 2001

Penn State 5 (2001, 2005, 2008, 2011, 2016)

Wisconsin 4 (2001, 2003, 2004, 2010)

Purdue 4 (2004, 2009, 2011, 2018)

Michigan State 3 (2011, 2013, 2015)

Iowa 2 (2004, 2017)

Illinois 2 (2001, 2007)

Michigan 2 (2003, 2011)

Nebraska 1 (2011)

Northwestern 1 (2004)

Indiana 0

Maryland  0

Minnesota 0

Rutgers 0

I am not certain why ... but doesn't it seem like in football, it's practically impossible to have an elite offense and an elite defense at the same time? I don't know if defenses (when paired with great offenses) get fatigued from having to get back on the field so much and so quickly. LSU seems to play solid defense in the first halves of games, and then let up with 3+ score leads in the second half. The Auburn game would be an exception.

LSU does seemed to get gashed for big yardage more frequently than a good college defense should. But does game context matter? If an opposing offense is doing all of its damage when down 20+ points, and never manage to cut it down to a TD or less (Bama and Auburn excepted) ... what is that opposing offense really accomplishing?

It does take away some style points, though. Given the final score, it doesn't look to casual observers that LSU really handled Alabama decisively, when in fact, LSU did for 30-something minutes of game time -- but then mentally relaxed (IMHO) and "let" a desperate Alabama team score a bunch in the second half. Similar for Ole Miss except that LSU's offense gave the defense a bigger points cushion.
It sure seems that way, unless you are so much better than other teams its crazy. I find the defenses today, especially those from teams with dominate offenses, worry more about creating turnovers than 3 and outs.  Thus, they take risks. This makes sense to me to play that style of defense coupled with a dominate offense. If you have a dominate offense, the worst thing for your defense to be would be a bend but dont break style because you end up gassed and useless by the 4th. Plus, if you have a lead and a dominate offense, the other team will have to take more risks on Offense.  Thinking Saints 2006. etc. There has to be a mental element to it as well. Regardless, I hate the way LSU is playing defense.

A radio host in BR who is generally an idiot said something funny this week:

"Things i never thought i'd see in my lifetime"

Homecoming Kings

A plant based whopper sandwich

A white boy rushing for 200 on the tigers

Regarding that point about having both an elite offense and defense at the same time - I was thinking about this thread as I read the weekly OU mailbag on The Athletic earlier this week. I will just paste it here, but I strongly believe that some of these ridiculous offenses need to place more value on possessing the ball, particularly early in the game. I can't tell you how many times OU has jumped out to a multi-score lead early in a game, and if they were a "normal" team you'd feel good about their chances, but it's basically meaningless when they are up 14 or 17 at half. The semis against UGA comes to mind immediately as a good example, as well as the loss to KState this year and the should-have-been-loss to ISU a few weeks ago. Anyways, here's the Q&A. 

The second-half defense was stifling, no doubt. But it was the 12- and 13-play, grinding offensive drives that kept the defense fresh and Baylor’s offense off the field. Should this be the new prescription for the Sooners? With Lamb in the lineup, third and fourth downs are almost gimmes. — James S.

Do you think Riley finally woke up to the benefits of long offensive possessions? I almost feel like when the defense got out there, it was so hyped-up because it had been sitting so long. It’ll be interesting to see what our offense looks like this week against TCU. — Blaise N.

These questions are similar, so I’m going to answer them together. The Sooners’ 41:11 time of possession was their largest — by far — of the 2019 season. They hadn’t held the ball for more than 30 minutes in any game since UCLA in mid-September.

This subject so intrigued me that I spent lots of time digging through old OU media guides to discover this: Saturday in Waco was the first time Oklahoma has possessed the ball for at least 40 minutes since Oct. 22, 2005, when OU beat Baylor 37-30 at home in overtime.

The closest OU has come to 40 minutes of possession time since then was in 2016, when the Sooners held the ball for 39:54 in a win at West Virginia. Other than those two games, though, Oklahoma hasn’t even hit the 38:00 mark.

Crazy stuff. Oklahoma’s offense through the years — and especially since Riley’s arrival — has been so good that it can score quickly and not need to take up a ton of time. Obviously at Baylor, it was beneficial to be able to do that. It was beneficial for the offense because it was able to wear down Baylor’s defense and for OU’s defense, which got plenty of time to rest.

I do wonder if this was a one-off thing and everything will go back to normal once the Sooners have Lamb again. But, hey, at the very least, OU showed it is capable of putting together long, clock-draining drives if it needs to do so, and against good defenses to boot.

Politician Spock said:
So do Wisconsin, Purdue, and Michigan State. And Iowa and Illinois have as many as MIchigan.

But Penn State is leading the pack. Probably does deserve to be OSU biggest rival in the eyes of graduating high school seniors.
Clemson would be tied for 5th on that list I believe. 

No chance this year. In Spring who knows...Mac will be the returning Senior, Taulia will have another year, and a very highly touted QB from Cali will arrive in January.  Taulia had a lot of interest from LSU too, so some are predicting a transfer.  He's definitely not at his brother's level though.
I think there's a chance both Mac and Lia will transfer, assuming Young is as good as reported right out of the gates. I wouldn't think so without seeing such talk from people, and I'm surprised the kind of people saying so... they aren't the kind of people who say that kind of stuff about a kid who hasn't even finished his Senior year. One of them brought up the transfers too. Shocked me and will shock a bunch of people too.

I want to reiterate I wasn't arguing for OU, just that I think it will (may?) happen in the end. I really don't care who makes it in since I consider Bama out without Tua. Also... again, the thing I hate about the committee is their consistency. Seems like every week they move teams in and out of the 4-6 spots without much deference to their previous rankings, which is one of the main reasons I favored the BCS formula. I don't think you can put a lot of stock in what they're saying today or even next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there's a chance both Mac and Lia will transfer, assuming Young is as good as reported right out of the gates. I wouldn't think so without seeing such talk from people, and I'm surprised the kind of people saying so... they aren't the kind of people who say that kind of stuff about a kid who hasn't even finished his Senior year. 
His competition level and football IQ are really high...and Saban now has shown he’ll play the young QB.

I think there's a chance both Mac and Lia will transfer, 
Mac (I’m wrong) is a redshirt Soph...2 more years not 1..you’re right will almost definitely leave unless he lights up this finish.

The QB cycle now for the top programs...either land a star 18-yr-old or land a star transfer.

gump said:
Pave the way for Urb?  
ETA: this time of year is crazy
Next to zero chance the collars accept him back with the trouble that’s surrounded him. 

I would bet the source of the story is Kelly’s agent and he’s trying to force an extension. ND is in purgatory with Kelly so we can only hope he moves on. 

Capella said:
I’d take him. Guy made a playoff with freaking Notre Dame. You can’t recruit there. He’d have a chance to win one at FSU. 
Recruiting isn’t his problem. ND routinely has a top 10 recruiting class yet bounces in and out of the top ten. 

Biggest reason why is Kelly cannot ever win the big game. Ever. His last “big” win was at OU in 2012. I think he’d crash and burn at FSU. 

gump said:
Mac (I’m wrong) is a redshirt Soph...2 more years not 1..you’re right will almost definitely leave unless he lights up this finish.

The QB cycle now for the top programs...either land a star 18-yr-old or land a star transfer.
And have a ho-hum program guy as your backup, some 4 star that didnt pan out or a project guy. 

Tua Tagovailoa had no injury insurance for NFL Draft.  

When Tua Tagovailoa went down with a season-ending hip injury, the NFL Draft questions immediately started popping up of where he’d be selected should he enter.

A team will almost certainly take a chance on the Crimson Tide quarterback at some spot in the draft should he choose to enter, but Tagovailoa will pay a price if he falls.

According to Darren Rovell of the Action Network, the insurance provided to him by the University of Alabama did not include a loss-of-value policy.

This means that he would not be able to recoup millions of dollars should he fall from the possible No. 1 overall selection to the mid-to-late first round.

Sources tell Rovell that Tagovailoa only chose to take the coverage that the university gave him. His coverage entitles him to collect if doctors rule he can never play again, as the school purchased permanent total disability insurance for the quarterback. Rovell notes that Tagovailoa taking the school’s policy did not prohibit him to taking loss-of-value insurance out of his own pocket.

I don't listen to Finebaum at all but Oregon fans aren't happy with him as he is going off on Mullens being the committee chair and from Oregon.  Basically he is already complaining that the only reason Oregon might get in over Alabama is because of Mullens.   :rolleyes:

Typical SEC honk I know.  Still very good chance Oregon or Alabama loses a game in regular season anyways so way premature.

I don't listen to Finebaum at all but Oregon fans aren't happy with him as he is going off on Mullens being the committee chair and from Oregon.  Basically he is already complaining that the only reason Oregon might get in over Alabama is because of Mullens.   :rolleyes:

Typical SEC honk I know.  Still very good chance Oregon or Alabama loses a game in regular season anyways so way premature.
Sounds like you DO listen to Finebaum.  

Whacky AM DJs are irrelevant in this.  Not sure why you'd even bring it up.  Saying Oregon fans "aren't happy with him" makes Oregon fans look dumb.  I don't know a single Oregon fan who cares what Finebaum says and I live here.  Where are you getting your information? 

Sounds like you DO listen to Finebaum.  

Whacky AM DJs are irrelevant in this.  Not sure why you'd even bring it up.  Saying Oregon fans "aren't happy with him" makes Oregon fans look dumb.  I don't know a single Oregon fan who cares what Finebaum says and I live here.  Where are you getting your information? 
Oregon 247 board.  

Tell them GM said "relax, nerds". 

Paul Finebaum! :lmao:

What does Don Imus have to say?  Tom Lykes?  Can we get Ferrell on the Bench to weigh in here?  What is the Fabulous Sports Babe saying?    
Ummm...Paul Finebaum has a sports talk show on Sirius and I think Insaw him on ESPN so he is relavant.  My point is he is off his rocker and a straight SEC homer.

Tom Lykes?   :lol:   Does he still have a show?

Tua Tagovailoa had no injury insurance for NFL Draft.  

When Tua Tagovailoa went down with a season-ending hip injury, the NFL Draft questions immediately started popping up of where he’d be selected should he enter.

A team will almost certainly take a chance on the Crimson Tide quarterback at some spot in the draft should he choose to enter, but Tagovailoa will pay a price if he falls.

According to Darren Rovell of the Action Network, the insurance provided to him by the University of Alabama did not include a loss-of-value policy.

This means that he would not be able to recoup millions of dollars should he fall from the possible No. 1 overall selection to the mid-to-late first round.

Sources tell Rovell that Tagovailoa only chose to take the coverage that the university gave him. His coverage entitles him to collect if doctors rule he can never play again, as the school purchased permanent total disability insurance for the quarterback. Rovell notes that Tagovailoa taking the school’s policy did not prohibit him to taking loss-of-value insurance out of his own pocket.
Lots of conflicting info out there...but the consistent story is Alabama pays as much as anyone to a pool that pays 'policies'.  It covers a wide variety of expenses...but not 'loss of value'.  Schools typically don't cover that.  Alabama would pay a ton if they covered every year for every potential high pick. The player and family are usually responsible, which eventually gets covered with a signing bonus.

Users who are viewing this thread