What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 College football thread - It's 2020, yo. Go to the new thread. (9 Viewers)

1. USC has a female president who will not hire Urban on her watch. She's going to die on that hill.

2. Why is Florida State in such a hurry to fire Taggart?  What happened to all his recruiting classes and the patience he was promised?  It hasn't even been 2 full years.  Seems a bit hasty to me.  Desperate even.

3. Dallas just throttled the Eagles.  There isn't a vacancy there.  Garrett isn't going anywhere and there are more jobs in the NFL coming open sooner than Dallas.  Dan Quinn, Anthony Lynn, Adam Gase, the 26 year old in Cincy...all will be fired before Garrett.  Just a point of clarification.
I thought I remembered you being happy Taggart was gone. He seems like a terrible coach to me, regardless.

This play was related to me by an FSU fan, and I have questioned his in game coaching abilities since. FSU punter was averaging 43 yards per punt, and kicks one 30 yards after getting run into. Penalty didn't give FSU a first down, so Taggart declined, giving Cuse the ball near midfield. In post game, someone asked him why he didn't elect to re-kick, and he said, "we had them on their side of the field and decided to put it on our defense."  According to an article, FSU was having issues with blocking for punts, but that's also a coaching error, most likely, even if it's a more reasonable explanation than Taggart gave.

Looked up the interview:

https://youtu.be/Qc-jP8eqvHU?t=365

I really don't blame FSU fans for wanting to get rid of the guy. Can't really point to one positive since he's been there, looking at it from the outside. If Alabama hires a guy who isn't a favorite at Vandy, he might get fired before he gets to even lose to a Wake Forest type team.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I remembered you being happy Taggart was gone. He seems like a terrible coach to me, regardless.

This play was related to me by an FSU fan, and I have questioned his in game coaching abilities since. FSU punter was averaging 43 yards per punt, and kicks one 30 yards after getting run into. Penalty didn't give FSU a first down, so Taggart declined, giving Cuse the ball near midfield. In post game, someone asked him why he didn't elect to re-kick, and he said, "we had them on their side of the field and decided to put it on our defense."  According to an article, FSU was having issues with blocking for punts, but that's also a coaching error, most likely, even if it's a more reasonable explanation than Taggart gave.

Looked up the interview:

https://youtu.be/Qc-jP8eqvHU?t=365

I really don't blame FSU fans for wanting to get rid of the guy. Can't really point to one positive since he's been there, looking at it from the outside. If Alabama hires a guy who isn't a favorite at Vandy, he might get fired before he gets to even lose to a Wake Forest type team.
The best part is seeing Willie defenders saying hey Wake Forest is GOOD. Piss off. Think about how stupid that sounds for a program with this kind of history. 

Current AP Poll 1.

Nick Saban $8.86 mil

2. Ed O $4 mil

3. Ryan Day $4.5 mil

4. Dabo $9.3 Mil

5. Lincoln Riley $6.38 mil

6. James Franklin $5.65 mil

7. Dan Mullen $6.1 mil

8. Brian Kelly ??

9. Malzahn $6.83 mil

10. Kirby Smart $6.87 mil

11. Cristobal $2.6 mil

12. Wittingham 4 mil
Where's Jimbo and his 7.5 mil?

The best part is seeing Willie defenders saying hey Wake Forest is GOOD. Piss off. Think about how stupid that sounds for a program with this kind of history. 
I know what you're talking about. I'm a Sooner fan who lived through the Gibbs, Schnellenberger, Blake years.

I didn't really have a strong opinion on Taggart either way since he was only at Oregon for less than a year.  I didn't see the coaching genius, that's for sure, but he also inherited a mess of a program.  I was worried that his exit would hinder the successful recruiting he achieved, but what I didn't see coming was the remarkable job Cristobal would do since taking over.  I was very bearish on that hire, but I'm happy to be wrong.  

A lot of the Oregon fan base was pissed when Taggart left and I think a lot anger was over the manner in which he bolted.  Which I understand, but the guy was chasing his dream job.  Hard to fault a person for doing that.  There's a lot of Oregon fans that are actively rooting for Taggart to fail, which is happening now to their delight.  Eh, again, the guy - and I think more importantly, his family - wanted to move back to Florida.  Eugene, Oregon isn't for everybody.

What I'll remember most about the Taggart 'era' at Oregon were the games he coached without Justin Herbert.  He turned to a true freshman that 'fit his system' in Braxton Burmeister and proceeded to oversee some of the worst offensive football I've ever seen.  It was a harbinger for what was to come for him at FSU.  Bad, boring, unimaginative offensive football with no adjustments made to improve.  

I didn't really have a strong opinion on Taggart either way since he was only at Oregon for less than a year.  I didn't see the coaching genius, that's for sure, but he also inherited a mess of a program.  I was worried that his exit would hinder the successful recruiting he achieved, but what I didn't see coming was the remarkable job Cristobal would do since taking over.  I was very bearish on that hire, but I'm happy to be wrong.  

A lot of the Oregon fan base was pissed when Taggart left and I think a lot anger was over the manner in which he bolted.  Which I understand, but the guy was chasing his dream job.  Hard to fault a person for doing that.  There's a lot of Oregon fans that are actively rooting for Taggart to fail, which is happening now to their delight.  Eh, again, the guy - and I think more importantly, his family - wanted to move back to Florida.  Eugene, Oregon isn't for everybody.

What I'll remember most about the Taggart 'era' at Oregon were the games he coached without Justin Herbert.  He turned to a true freshman that 'fit his system' in Braxton Burmeister and proceeded to oversee some of the worst offensive football I've ever seen.  It was a harbinger for what was to come for him at FSU.  Bad, boring, unimaginative offensive football with no adjustments made to improve.  
Fans are pretty dumb overall. 

I've been interested in Cristobal being a future Bama coach since he was an assistant, so I'm glad good he's doing well. He seemed like he had all the tools, and while that doesn't always translate to being a great head coach, he doesn't have the personality flaws I see in some of the other Saban assistants people tend to like better.

Double post, so here's a picture of my new pup:

https://i.imgur.com/URsBRIgl.jpg

6 months old. Trying to get him ready for duck season in December.

Oh yeah, the property I was at last weekend had longhorn cattle, and after the rain, they had one of the better crops of fungus there has been there all summer because of the drought:

https://i.imgur.com/6On7hzLl.jpg

LOL. Luke. I need to fill out his papers and send them in. Breeder wanted their name on the application, so he's going to be Blackbelt Retriever's Lukes Cannon.
Is that why the dogs on the Westminster telecast always have long names like that? Part of it is the breeder?

Yeah, it's like that with most of the animals that are bred - horses, steer, etc.  Needed to trace back lineage or somesuch.
Most of the dogs I've had in my life have been mutts.  Our current dachshunds are purebred I think, but not registered so they're just "Chip" and "Big Red". 

They're still good dogs, Bront.

Most of the dogs I've had in my life have been mutts.  Our current dachshunds are purebred I think, but not registered so they're just "Chip" and "Big Red". 

They're still good dogs, Bront.
As far as the name thing goes, I haven't gotten a dog like this in the past, and no other breeder has ever requested such. He didn't demand it or I would've thought it a little strange, but with the sire getting his master hunter cert (maybe like a PHD for a lab), I can see why he wanted his kennel name attached to these. He had 2 litters at the same time with 23 pups (24, but one was still born), kept 4 dogs, and has 9 back for training. So of the 10 not training with him now, I'm training mine on my own, and I'd be shocked if the rest weren't being trained by someone.

I don't think there's any need to get pure bred dogs, especially from puppy mills people try to run out of their homes. If I enjoy the next two years and want to train another one, I'll spend the money on another lab like this,  but I think there's an equal chance I'll just get an already grown buddy for this one from the pound when that time comes. My last lab was a great dog, but dumb as ####, and I decided to get one a little better bred to train for duck hunting. There's a big difference from having a "pure bred" dog because it looks a certain way or portrays a certain image, and having a dog which is bred to carry out a purpose. Poodles seem pretty useless, especially the smaller variety, but they do not shed, and my breeder has actually trained a few for duck hunting. Labradoodles, on the other hand, are inbred morons who weren't even supposed to be branch out as a breed.

****didn't mean to hijack

How badly is LSU going to crush Auburn? 

@dpshow

Oklahoma Coach

@LincolnRiley

doesn’t see coaching in college as a “stepping stone” to the NFL and has never had a goal to coach in the NFL. He sure didn’t sound like a guy who will be leaving Oklahoma for an NFL job anytime soon.

Guess the rumors can start up again about Riley leaving for Dallas because stating you are not leaving is never good enough for sports reporters.  

@dpshow

Oklahoma Coach

@LincolnRiley

doesn’t see coaching in college as a “stepping stone” to the NFL and has never had a goal to coach in the NFL. He sure didn’t sound like a guy who will be leaving Oklahoma for an NFL job anytime soon.

Guess the rumors can start up again about Riley leaving for Dallas because stating you are not leaving is never good enough for sports reporters.  
Yes, because I unequivocally knew beyond a shadow of a doubt what I wanted to with my life at the ripe old age of 26 or whatever he is.  

Yes, because I unequivocally knew beyond a shadow of a doubt what I wanted to with my life at the ripe old age of 26 or whatever he is.  
You were knocking down close to 7 million a year with a top job in the country?  Treated like a hero everywhere you go?   And, he is 36. 

Turned on SMU-UH just in time to see one of the worst drops on one of the best designed reverse/flea flickers I've seen.

Pretty sure it was the same as the weird flea flicker in Tecmo Super Bowl.

You were knocking down close to 7 million a year with a top job in the country?  Treated like a hero everywhere you go?   And, he is 36. 
I've heard here some (JB) think it's laughable that a college job is as challenging as a pro...either way they are different...maybe he wants to stop developing and see how good he is at Xs and Os vs the best...who knows.

gump said:
I've heard here some (JB) think it's laughable that a college job is as challenging as a pro...either way they are different...maybe he wants to stop developing and see how good he is at Xs and Os vs the best...who knows.
There’s absolutely no way a college job is as challenging as the nfl. Come on. I mean that’s not to say it doesn’t have its challenges but the nfl doesn’t have 8 softie games every year. 

SHIZNITTTT said:
I'm just saying you don't know what you don't know and at 36, it's hard to know unequivocally that you wouldn't someday want to taste the NFL apple. 

There’s absolutely no way a college job is as challenging as the nfl. Come on. I mean that’s not to say it doesn’t have its challenges but the nfl doesn’t have 8 softie games every year. 
You know i'll never agree...5 losses is ok vs getting a brick thru you window for 1 loss.  They're very different jobs.  I'm just saying no one knows what a guy like Riley wants in life and his career.  It's not an easy way out to stay in College.

You know i'll never agree...5 losses is ok vs getting a brick thru you window for 1 loss.  They're very different jobs.  I'm just saying no one knows what a guy like Riley wants in life and his career.  It's not an easy way out to stay in College.
I’m not talking about Riley necessarily but there is no way coaching in college is as difficult as the nfl. It’s not even comparable. A top-25 power program may have 5 tough games a year. The best programs can pencil in 8 wins. The best teams have oodles of depth to replace starters. There are at least 2 scheduled wins every season as well as the muck that is in the conference. FSU is absolutely god piss awful this year and will likely go 7-5 or 6-6 at least! It’s not even close. 

Not to mention the nfl playoffs are a battle field. In the college playoffs Michigan State qualified a few years back. Everybody in America knew that was a joke before the game kicked off. Clemson basically has a free pass to the playoff this year. Come on. 

I think actual coaching is way easier in college than the NFL but from what I've heard, most who have done both greatly prefer being locked in NFL offices for 18 hours a day planning, watching video, etc than spending time sucking up to 16 year olds and boosters. 

College gameday  is at the HUGE rivalry matchup of North Dakota State and South Dakota State.  I am sure that all 26 fans will be so happy. 

LSU/AUBURN?    tOSU/Wisconsin?    

College gameday  is at the HUGE rivalry matchup of North Dakota State and South Dakota State.  I am sure that all 26 fans will be so happy. 

LSU/AUBURN?    tOSU/Wisconsin?    
I don't mind them going to some "other" places.  I'm sure the Bison fans will represent.  They were in Baton Rouge on October 12th and have done 2 LSU and 2 Auburn games already.  They did a tOSU game September 28th and probably still have PSU/tOSU or tOSU/MU coming up.  :shrug:  

Users who are viewing this thread