Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Tom Servo

2019 College football thread - It's 2020, yo. Go to the new thread.

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, JaxBill said:

The NFL can print money without a fan walking through the turnstile.  Only the top 35  or 40 NCAA teams could afford having zero gate.

These athletic departments crying poverty while they spent a decade burning cash so they didn’t have to pay the players is going to be so delicious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Tom Servo said:

@ClownCausedChaos2 and I would be rooting for you.

Honestly don't think that would help much.  Ohio State is/was going to hammer the Ducks.  Just not a good match-up for them historically and breaking in a new QB?  Whoooooooooof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, General Malaise said:

Was very much looking forward to Oregon kicking Ohio State's assssssssssssssssssssssssss in Eugene this Sept.  Oh well......

Oregon took my tickets after I paid for them to sell them all at a discount to a large broker.  We had contacted an attorney but now I'm liking that both of them are stuck.  One good thing to come out of all this.  It's all I can do to not send the Oregon Assistant AD an email full of laughing emojis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Capella said:

These athletic departments crying poverty while they spent a decade burning cash so they didn’t have to pay the players is going to be so delicious. 

Their crunch is going to be over the "donation" part of the tickets.  They are going to have a problem I think trying to scoop that money without having a season.  Yet they've gotten so fat in overhead they can't afford not to.  I've heard discussions of a later start to the season and only playing conference games.  My supposition is they are so cash poor they may have to credit tickets and donations into 2021.  Hard to stand against the public relations tide of keeping fans' money for a season that never happened when those very people many will have lost their jobs, could be battling to not lose their homes, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JaxBill said:

The NFL can print money without a fan walking through the turnstile.  Only the top 35  or 40 NCAA teams could afford having zero gate.

When it comes to the NCAA, that number is zero.  The NFL only has itself to worry about.  Even the large football factories in the SEC use the football funds to support the other sports, Title IX, the overhead of the athletic dept and salaries, etc.  Word I had was Alabama even had to dip into their incoming football cash flows to refund the canceled SEC Tournament,  women's softball and baseball games.  That's astounding because they don't have big money tied up in any, likely the SEC Tournament would have been the biggest amount.  The fact they have no financial backstop for even a small blip like that is amazing..  Another thing to note is many colleges, the towns live on the traffic on gamedays.  Starkville, Tuscaloosa, Auburn, Athens, they aren't Chicago or NYC.  The economies around there would be crushed just by not having home game crowds.  As far as further direct impact on the schools, keep in mind most of them now make large margins by subbing out the tailgating business and getting a cut there, concessions, etc.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just in case any of you were wondering, I went to the Peach Bowl and it suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

BOOMER!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, General Malaise said:

Was very much looking forward to Oregon kicking Ohio State's assssssssssssssssssssssssss in Eugene this Sept.  Oh well......

Was planning on flying out for that one. :kicksrock:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, General Malaise said:

Was very much looking forward to Oregon kicking Ohio State's assssssssssssssssssssssssss in Eugene this Sept.  Oh well......

ETA- neat bored

Edited by Tecumseh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have strong doubts that college plays in the fall.  The timeline doesn't match up with the graphs and predictions.   If there is no football revenue it's going to wipe out athletic departments.   I cannot think of a realistic scenario where they can start in late august.  A shortened season is probably doable but damn that would take a lot of work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

I have strong doubts that college plays in the fall.  The timeline doesn't match up with the graphs and predictions.   If there is no football revenue it's going to wipe out athletic departments.   I cannot think of a realistic scenario where they can start in late august.  A shortened season is probably doable but damn that would take a lot of work.

They’re putting in the work now to plan it...I’m confident a season happens, maybe shortened. Some of $6.5B is better than none.

Edited by gump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gump said:

They’re putting in the work now to plan it...I’m confident a season happens, maybe shortened.

I am trying to figure out how a shortened season works?  Reconfigure the schedule?   Pick up on whatever week it starts back?  Conference only? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

I am trying to figure out how a shortened season works?  Reconfigure the schedule?   Pick up on whatever week it starts back?  Conference only? 

If I had to guess, it would be conference games only.  Of course, $EC will still want their late November tomato can before rivalry weekend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2020 at 3:43 PM, Shula-holic said:

Oregon took my tickets after I paid for them to sell them all at a discount to a large broker.  We had contacted an attorney but now I'm liking that both of them are stuck.  One good thing to come out of all this.  It's all I can do to not send the Oregon Assistant AD an email full of laughing emojis.

Wait, what?  I don't understand any of this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

Wait, what?  I don't understand any of this.

Oregon invoiced me for my 2020 football tickets and Duck Athletic Fund donation per seat, I paid them, then after payment in January they emailed and said they were revoking my season tickets as they now had decided to partner with a consolidating ticket broker.  The revocation came in February.  They apparently put this broker contract up for bid in November, I found the record on the U of O bids and contracts website.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

I am trying to figure out how a shortened season works?  Reconfigure the schedule?   Pick up on whatever week it starts back?  Conference only? 

They are still working on all options, including pushing back the start and end of the season...but I’d guess Conf Only wins out...I will be asking a lot of questions over the next few weeks to some involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was looking forward to finally hearing "Enter Sandman" at Lane when Penn State plays there. Have a hotel already reserved. :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Orgeron getting divorced.

 

My take: can’t handle a marriage, probably not a good person to be in charge of kids. Recruits should stay away, go to Clemson. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bigmarc27 said:

Orgeron getting divorced.

 

My take: can’t handle a marriage, probably not a good person to be in charge of kids. Recruits should stay away, go to Clemson. 

I don't know, having kids with roid rage is probably not ideal during quarantine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Shula-holic said:

Oregon invoiced me for my 2020 football tickets and Duck Athletic Fund donation per seat, I paid them, then after payment in January they emailed and said they were revoking my season tickets as they now had decided to partner with a consolidating ticket broker.  The revocation came in February.  They apparently put this broker contract up for bid in November, I found the record on the U of O bids and contracts website.  

So, you're not an Oregon Ducks fan, you're a ticket broker?  That's a business I know nothing about.  How do brokers differentiate themselves from scalpers?  Up for some education on this one.  How many different schools do you have season tickets for?  You don't have to answer, I'm just very curious about this business.  :thumbup:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bigmarc27 said:

Orgeron getting divorced.

 

My take: can’t handle a marriage, probably not a good person to be in charge of kids. Recruits should stay away, go to Clemson. 

Kelly Orgeron could totally get it.  Holler, Kelly. :wub:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2020 at 1:42 PM, bigmarc27 said:
On 3/27/2020 at 1:14 PM, Fat Drunk and Stupid said:

 

I'm a mod over there. I banned you.  It was me.  

I can’t tell if you’re serious or not. 🤨

For some reason all I can think of is:  "Tell Cercei it was me"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2020 at 4:49 PM, gump said:

They are still working on all options, including pushing back the start and end of the season...but I’d guess Conf Only wins out...I will be asking a lot of questions over the next few weeks to some involved.

If conference games only, how many wins to be eligible for a bowl?   4?   In this scenario, how about every team goes to a "bowl"?  Other than the normal bowls, have every team find a non-conference dance partner for an end of season game.  Odd times call for odd measures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The SEC's history of scheduling November patsies is really going to pay off this year, isn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some notes from a survey of over 100 FBS AD's, to give you an idea of how the people closest to college athletics feel today:

  • 65% project a 30% or less drop in revenue in '20/'21 fiscal (July 1-June 30)
  • Revenue streams most at risk are Donations (75%) are Ticket Sales (74%)
  • Only 33% P5 ADs believe NCAA Distributions will be significantly reduced
  • Current Compensation and Limiting the Arms Race are top ways to limit crisis impact
  • 67% believe an on-campus enrollment decrease is the most likely outcome from this crisis
  • 53% believe live attendance at sporting events will decrease
  • 40% believe sports TV ratings will increase

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, gump said:

Some notes from a survey of over 100 FBS AD's, to give you an idea of how the people closest to college athletics feel today:

  • 65% project a 30% or less drop in revenue in '20/'21 fiscal (July 1-June 30)
  • Revenue streams most at risk are Donations (75%) are Ticket Sales (74%)
  • Only 33% P5 ADs believe NCAA Distributions will be significantly reduced
  • Current Compensation and Limiting the Arms Race are top ways to limit crisis impact
  • 67% believe an on-campus enrollment decrease is the most likely outcome from this crisis
  • 53% believe live attendance at sporting events will decrease
  • 40% believe sports TV ratings will increase

Is there a link to this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2020 at 9:42 AM, gump said:

Some notes from a survey of over 100 FBS AD's, to give you an idea of how the people closest to college athletics feel today:

  • 65% project a 30% or less drop in revenue in '20/'21 fiscal (July 1-June 30)
  • Revenue streams most at risk are Donations (75%) are Ticket Sales (74%)
  • Only 33% P5 ADs believe NCAA Distributions will be significantly reduced
  • Current Compensation and Limiting the Arms Race are top ways to limit crisis impact
  • 67% believe an on-campus enrollment decrease is the most likely outcome from this crisis
  • 53% believe live attendance at sporting events will decrease
  • 40% believe sports TV ratings will increase

Yep.  Donations/Ticket Sales are essentially one and the same today.  A few schools may have the chance to split hairs to keep some of the donor dollars with no season but most will have to alienate a lot of fans to do so.  South Carolina for instance has a club piece, a per seat donation required, then face value.  Not many schools do it that way.  But in their case they can say the club piece is donation and we are refunding the other two, in fact so far that is their plan.  Most schools just have a "donation" tied to your seat location that is required for the tickets.  With no season being played, it's going to create quite the cash flow issue and likely having to credit these "donations" to avoid a mass loss of their donor/ticket base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2020 at 2:04 PM, General Malaise said:

So, you're not an Oregon Ducks fan, you're a ticket broker?  That's a business I know nothing about.  How do brokers differentiate themselves from scalpers?  Up for some education on this one.  How many different schools do you have season tickets for?  You don't have to answer, I'm just very curious about this business.  :thumbup:

 

Not sure how to answer this.  I look at myself as a wholesaler, no different than the guy with the warehouse who buys bulk products from manufacturers to sell to retailers.  My model is essentially the same.  The schools in this case are my manufacturers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2020 at 9:17 AM, bigmarc27 said:

Orgeron getting divorced.

My take: can’t handle a marriage, probably not a good person to be in charge of kids. Recruits should stay away, go to Clemson. 

The best thing to do is not to have posted this. The second best thing is to delete it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tom Servo said:

The best thing to do is not to have posted this. The second best thing is to delete it. 

I’ll go with the third best thing, which is to leave it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

32 First Round Picks in the #NFLDraft tonight. Here is a breakdown of their High School Recruiting Ratings: -

  • 5-star 6 (19%)
  • 4-star 16 (50%)
  • 3-start 9 (28%)
  • 2-start 1 (3%)

 Where first-rounders played in high school:

  • Texas-7
  • Florida, Georgia, Louisiana-3
  • Alabama-2
  • 1-Ohio, Maryland, Hawaii, Oregon, Kentucky, Kansas, Virginia, Iowa, South Carolina, Arizona, Nevada, New Jersey, California, New York

2020 NFL Draft First Round By The Numbers:

15 SEC Players drafted (record) 5: Big 12 Players drafted 5: Big 10 Players Drafted

5: LSU players drafted 4: Alabama players drafted 3: Pac-12 players drafted 3: Ohio State players drafted 2: TCU players drafted 2: ACC Players drafted

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gump said:

32 First Round Picks in the #NFLDraft tonight. Here is a breakdown of their High School Recruiting Ratings: -

  • 5-star 6 (19%)
  • 4-star 16 (50%)
  • 3-start 9 (28%)
  • 2-start 1 (3%)

 Where first-rounders played in high school:

  • Texas-7
  • Florida, Georgia, Louisiana-3
  • Alabama-2
  • 1-Ohio, Maryland, Hawaii, Oregon, Kentucky, Kansas, Virginia, Iowa, South Carolina, Arizona, Nevada, New Jersey, California, New York

2020 NFL Draft First Round By The Numbers:

15 SEC Players drafted (record) 5: Big 12 Players drafted 5: Big 10 Players Drafted

5: LSU players drafted 4: Alabama players drafted 3: Pac-12 players drafted 3: Ohio State players drafted 2: TCU players drafted 2: ACC Players drafted

 

Also the first three players in the draft went to Ohio State out of high school. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, whoknew said:

 

Also the first three players in the draft went to Ohio State out of high school. 

yet only one of them won a NC....playing for a different school

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gump said:

32 First Round Picks in the #NFLDraft tonight. Here is a breakdown of their High School Recruiting Ratings: -

  • 5-star 6 (19%)
  • 4-star 16 (50%)
  • 3-start 9 (28%)
  • 2-start 1 (3%)

 Where first-rounders played in high school:

  • Texas-7
  • Florida, Georgia, Louisiana-3
  • Alabama-2
  • 1-Ohio, Maryland, Hawaii, Oregon, Kentucky, Kansas, Virginia, Iowa, South Carolina, Arizona, Nevada, New Jersey, California, New York

2020 NFL Draft First Round By The Numbers:

15 SEC Players drafted (record) 5: Big 12 Players drafted 5: Big 10 Players Drafted

5: LSU players drafted 4: Alabama players drafted 3: Pac-12 players drafted 3: Ohio State players drafted 2: TCU players drafted 2: ACC Players drafted

Why do we get 2 ACC and 2 TCU but not 2 Oklahoma? Ceedee + Murray!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tiger Fan said:

yet only one of them won a NC....playing for a different school

Inconvenient truth. :lmao: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, gump said:

32 First Round Picks in the #NFLDraft tonight. Here is a breakdown of their High School Recruiting Ratings: -

  • 5-star 6 (19%)
  • 4-star 16 (50%)
  • 3-start 9 (28%)
  • 2-start 1 (3%)

 Where first-rounders played in high school:

  • Texas-7
  • Florida, Georgia, Louisiana-3
  • Alabama-2
  • 1-Ohio, Maryland, Hawaii, Oregon, Kentucky, Kansas, Virginia, Iowa, South Carolina, Arizona, Nevada, New Jersey, California, New York

2020 NFL Draft First Round By The Numbers:

15 SEC Players drafted (record) 5: Big 12 Players drafted 5: Big 10 Players Drafted

5: LSU players drafted 4: Alabama players drafted 3: Pac-12 players drafted 3: Ohio State players drafted 2: TCU players drafted 2: ACC Players drafted

ESPN just did that for ratings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're an old guy (over 40) NBCSN has been showing classic games from the late 80's and early 90's recently.  ND-WVU Fiesta Bowl right now and the Miami-Penn State Fiesta Bowl later tonight.  Had some good Miami and FSU games earlier this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

If you're an old guy (over 40) NBCSN has been showing classic games from the late 80's and early 90's recently.  ND-WVU Fiesta Bowl right now and the Miami-Penn State Fiesta Bowl later tonight.  Had some good Miami and FSU games earlier this week.

They had the FSU Nebraska national title game last night too. Think the 1975 rose bowl tomorrow. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Capella said:

They had the FSU Nebraska national title game last night too. Think the 1975 rose bowl tomorrow. 

😠  :rant:

Had 1995 Nebraska vs Miami last night also.  :D

 

Edited by WDIK2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

If you're an old guy (over 40) NBCSN has been showing classic games from the late 80's and early 90's recently.  ND-WVU Fiesta Bowl right now and the Miami-Penn State Fiesta Bowl later tonight.  Had some good Miami and FSU games earlier this week.

Damn, caught some of penn st-Miami and was just thinking I would like to see that nd-wvu game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know the wheels are in motion for paying players and it's only a matter of time before it happens, but I've been thinking about this for a while and heard whispers of similar approaches on different pages.  Would a fan/booster sponsored "pension plan" be against current NCAA rules?  You'd be "fully vested" after 3/4 years of school and be allotted X amount of dollars after you left school.  Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

And he is going to Maryland.  Wow

Maryland’s HC Locksley is his ex-OC and recruited him...good fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, gump said:

Maryland’s HC Locksley is his ex-OC and recruited him...good fit.

That stands to reason.  I first I was like :confused: and now it makes some sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.