Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Tom Servo

2019 College football thread - It's 2020, yo. Go to the new thread.

Rutgers should go outside the box and run the option. They have no chance to compete doing what every other program is doing. 

1 hour ago, culdeus said:

The main goal of these merges is to provide value to the conference administrators in the form of salaries, and to get stable TV money so schools can pay big salaries to their own administrators and fund things like capital campaigns through loans back to boosters banks.  Conference championship games are a huge part of this, as they generate a huge windfall for the conference admins for sure.

There's not a single shared research project on the planet that has EVER been held up because one school doesn't play another school in football.  All this fluff and nonsense about all these shared research facilities is done to just smokescreen the fact that all this revenue just gets eaten by non academic staff, I mean maybe they throw a few grand at some fellowship. BFD.  If it helps people sleep better at night knowing someone that isn't playing might get something out of it, great.

My main theory/hypothesis is that none of these conference moves are really adding any value, over just inertia.  It's just concentrating the revenue that was there into fewer buckets.  Zero sum, whatever you want to call it.

If there is to be expansion/contraction it will be first and foremost done in a way that maintains a lot of sweet gigs in nice offices.

you may be right overall.  that's different that question of how it works instrumentally.

When you say the bolded, do you mean that the overall NCAA revenue doesn't increase, it just flows more to the power conferences?

31 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

you may be right overall.  that's different that question of how it works instrumentally.

When you say the bolded, do you mean that the overall NCAA revenue doesn't increase, it just flows more to the power conferences?

Would say that if you went back to 1990 and kept conferences and alignments as they were then, and charted growth, vs. what today looks like the growth and revenue pattern would match within some margin.  The main difference is the wealth has concentrated in maybe 60 schools, rather than 80-90.  This is why someone like Baylor can finance a new stadium.  

1 hour ago, WDIK2 said:

@Tom Servo Nebraska's inflatable mascot thing/kid is named Lil' Red.  Do not besmirch the proud name of Herbie Husker like that.  ;) 

So who's Herbie Husker?  I thought that was the inflatable kid's name.

4 hours ago, The Commish said:

Looks like Schiano is coming back to Rutgers. :mellow: 

Will the Tennessee fanbase/Clay Travis vehemently protest this hiring?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Politician Spock said:

I had no idea that Nebraska had double downed on freaky mascots. 

Trebled

4 hours ago, Politician Spock said:

I had no idea that Nebraska had double downed on freaky mascots. 

You're way behind the times.  Lil' Red has to be almost 20 years old by now. (almost as old as Nebraska's last conference title)  Still not sure what the Reagan-era Herbie is doing with his hands here.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WDIK2 said:

You're way behind the times.  Lil' Red has to be almost 20 years old by now. (almost as old as Nebraska's last conference title)  Still not sure what the Reagan-era Herbie is doing with his hands here.

Throwing up a middle finger to Christo?

1 hour ago, WDIK2 said:

Looks like Williams sold it in 2014 to a collector who is now selling it.  Doesn't the school get one to display also?  Or is that a replica?

You are correct.  This is the reselling. 

21 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

SMU in the top 25 for the first time since they received the death penalty in 1986

That's pretty cool.  Sonny Dykes seems like a decent guy.  His quotes in the Mike Leach coaching tree article in the Athletic were pure gold. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mad Cow said:

More evidence of the snowflakes we have become in our country. Everyone gets a trophy, no score games, don’t say anything that is against me, etc.

To bad that they apologized for it, they should have doubled down. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Beef Ravioli said:

More evidence of the snowflakes we have become in our country. Everyone gets a trophy, no score games, don’t say anything that is against me, etc.

To bad that they apologized for it, they should have doubled down. 

:goodposting: If you don't want to be trolled, don't make the roadie to the other team's field.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2019 at 12:02 AM, culdeus said:

The big ten channel is available locally here under most basic package.  The nearest team is Nebraska.   Do they get more money from a provider for having a closer team?

Yes, which is why adding Rutgers and Maryland was so valuable to the B1G. Fees for BTN at the time were something like $0.40/month in states that didn't have an in-conference school, and about $1.05/month if there was a school in the state. From Cablevision alone, which is the biggest in NJ but one of a few majors, the conference received almost an extra $20 million the first year. Add in the other large operators, the rate increases that have taken place since the initial deal, the MD/VA/DC operators, etc and the other schools are absolutely cleaning up thanks to the additions (even before considering the on field results).

On 9/30/2019 at 11:27 AM, Capella said:

Rutgers should go outside the box and run the option. They have no chance to compete doing what every other program is doing. 

I'd rather suffer through another 4 years of Ash's ineptitude than have to watch (winning) option football. 

6 hours ago, Mad Cow said:

Carolina /Clemson 2013 Halftime

This is from the halftime show of the Carolina - Clemson game from 2013. Olde Macdonald and Dueling Banjos. Also watch when they show the video board. 

Side note: The Randy Lucas they refer to is my 1st cousin and a Clemson fan. His daughter is in the Bluegrass band as well and was a USC student at the time. 

Let the snowfall begin. 

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

Edited by In The Zone
Forgot link

Had lunch with three Arkansas blowhards today that are convinced they will leave the SEC at the first available opportunity.  Anything to this?

17 minutes ago, In The Zone said:

This is from the halftime show of the Carolina - Clemson game from 2013. Olde Macdonald and Dueling Banjos. Also watch when they show the video board. 

Side note: The Randy Lucas they refer to is my 1st cousin and a Clemson fan. His daughter is in the Bluegrass band as well and was a USC student at the time. 

Let the snowfall begin. 

❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

What was from 2013? The article posted by @Mad Cow

• Thinking 1

7 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Had lunch with three Arkansas blowhards today that are convinced they will leave the SEC at the first available opportunity.  Anything to this?

Literally zero chance 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

SMU in the top 25 for the first time since they received the death penalty in 1986

Rhett Lashlee Lives!

21 minutes ago, Beef Ravioli said:

What was from 2013? The article posted by @Mad Cow

Mine was from this past weekend.  I doubt there were any bandwagon Clempson fans to make fun of in 2013.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, culdeus said:

for what reason?

7 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

for what reason?

I'm guessing it was around noon...and they were hungry :shrug:

• Laughing 1

38 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

for what reason?

Can't get recruits away from Saban/LSU/Floridas, think they could compete if they had more visibility in other areas of the country.  

2 hours ago, culdeus said:

Who would want them?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Christo said:

Who would want them?

The Big 12 would obviously go nuts at the chance to get Arkansas. 

• Like 1

Did the SEC not have to get all their schools to sign away their TV revenue rights if they wanted to leave like some of the other conferences?

Crazy anecdote in a story on SEC scheduling by Andy Staples today on The Athletic about Jack Driscoll, who is a starting OT for Auburn (and a second cousin to one of my close friends growing up).

While Driscoll was at UMass he played at Ben Hill Griffin against Florida (2016 opener), at Williams-Brice against South Carolina (Oct. 2016), and at Neyland against Tennessee (Sept. 2017). He is the only current Auburn player to have played in any of those stadiums.

Auburn plays in Gainesville this weekend for the first time since 2007. Auburn last played at South Carolina in 2011 and won't play there until 2021.

Auburn at Tennessee was last in 2013, and not again until 2025. UMass will play at Auburn twice between now and then.

2 minutes ago, Dickie Dunn said:

Crazy anecdote in a story on SEC scheduling by Andy Staples today on The Athletic about Jack Driscoll, who is a starting OT for Auburn (and a second cousin to one of my close friends growing up).

While Driscoll was at UMass he played at Ben Hill Griffin against Florida (2016 opener), at Williams-Brice against South Carolina (Oct. 2016), and at Neyland against Tennessee (Sept. 2017). He is the only current Auburn player to have played in any of those stadiums.

Auburn plays in Gainesville this weekend for the first time since 2007. Auburn last played at South Carolina in 2011 and won't play there until 2021.

Auburn at Tennessee was last in 2013, and not again until 2025. UMass will play at Auburn twice between now and then.

Saw on Twitter that Auburn and Florida have only played each other 28 times even though they've been in the same conference for 98 years.

14 hours ago, Christo said:

Saw on Twitter that Auburn and Florida have only played each other 28 times even though they've been in the same conference for 98 years.

No idea where that number came from. They’ve played like 90 times. Back when they first went to divisions AU’s two permanent cross division opponents were UGA and Florida because of the history.

• Like 1

USF and UConn have moved their game from 7 PM to noon due to concerns about some mosquito-borne virus that is killing people in CT?  Wild.

22 minutes ago, Steve Tasker said:

USF and UConn have moved their game from 7 PM to noon due to concerns about some mosquito-borne virus that is killing people in CT?  Wild.

Maybe USF brought the mosquitos with them? :tinfoilhat:

21 hours ago, culdeus said:

And go where exactly? 

18 hours ago, Dickie Dunn said:

There was a great solution to this issue proposed, it would put one more conference game on the table and split all the teams into 4 pods.  It gets posted here every so often but can't find a direct link at this time.  It was one of those ideas that was so good that it was impossible to implement.

Odd stat that probably means little but I find interesting. I guess the Pac12 teams are the likely suspects 

@chrisfallica: Each of the last 5 years a Top 15 team (9 total, 6 Top 10) has lost to a NR team the 1st week of October. 

Top 15 Teams vs NR Opp This Week 
5 LSU vs Utah St
6 OU at Kansas
8 Wisc vs Kent St
12 PSU vs Purdue
9 ND vs BG 
11 Texas at WVU
3 UGA vs Tenn
13 Ore vs Cal 
15 UW at Stan

8 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

Odd stat that probably means little but I find interesting. I guess the Pac12 teams are the likely suspects 

@chrisfallica: Each of the last 5 years a Top 15 team (9 total, 6 Top 10) has lost to a NR team the 1st week of October. 
Top 15 Teams vs NR Opp This Week 
5 LSU vs Utah St
6 OU at Kansas
8 Wisc vs Kent St
12 PSU vs Purdue
9 ND vs BG 
11 Texas at WVU
3 UGA vs Tenn
13 Ore vs Cal 
15 UW at Stan

I don't bet, but if I were betting, I'd place my bets to capitalize on that on the two games I highlighted.  There's nothing to fade here; just my uneducated opinion.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Tom Servo said:

I don't bet, but if I were betting, I'd place my bets to capitalize on that on the two games I highlighted.  There's nothing to fade here; just my uneducated opinion.

Oregon favored by 18 going against back up QB who was horrid last week.  

2 hours ago, Don't Noonan said:

Oregon favored by 18 going against back up QB who was horrid last week.  

Don't, Noonan.

• Like 2