What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 College football thread - It's 2020, yo. Go to the new thread. (7 Viewers)

Looking at the sixth post on this page (for those displaying 50 posts/page) ... I keep wondering why Joel Klatt consistently ranks LSU over Alabama. I know it's just one place in his standings, but still. Don't you auto-place Alabama higher, with no thinking or analysis necessary, until LSU beats Alabama?
100% like those little symbols with 100 in them and the flexing arms that accompany them.

Looking at the sixth post on this page (for those displaying 50 posts/page) ... I keep wondering why Joel Klatt consistently ranks LSU over Alabama. I know it's just one place in his standings, but still. Don't you auto-place Alabama higher, with no thinking or analysis necessary, until LSU beats Alabama?
If you listen to Klatt at all, this is one of his rallying cries.  He HATES that Clemson/Bama continue to get auto-plaed ahead of other teams because of what they did last year.  Thinks it's lazy and I agree with him. 

LSU vs OSU for the title game, imo

Alabama being more talented is a reason to rank them higher. What previous teams full of players not on the current roster did is meaningless. 
First, LSU lost to Alabama for every season any player on LSU has been playing and for every season any player on Alabama has been playing. Even since these kids' high school days.

The current roster of Alabama players has never lost to LSU, but nearly all of them has won every time. The current roster of LSU has never beaten Alabama, but nearly all of them has always lost to Alabama.

Second, every player on LSU has heard that no game matters more and that they wont go anywhere until they beat Alabama.

I get it. Its quite analytical to say what you are saying. It just dismisses a mental aspect to sports that is hard to quantify. LSU hasnt scored two of the last three years against Alabama in "show downs." But, i think you know this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Colorado +21 eh?  Boy, that seems awfully tempting.   Not sure the Ducks should be favored by more than 10 against anybody right now.  That offense sucks.

I dunno....weird things happen in college football.  I think we're in for some surprises this month.
FSU has the talent to match up reasonably well at most positions except the offensive line. It’s one of the 10-15 worst in the power 5 and Clemson should murder them there. 

If FSU has a top-30 offensive line they’d have a chance. 

Alabama being more talented is a reason to rank them higher. What previous teams full of players not on the current roster did is meaningless. 
First, LSU lost to Alabama for every season any player on LSU has been playing and for every season any player on Alabama has been playing. Even since these kids' high school days.

The current roster of Alabama players has never lost to LSU, but nearly all of them has won every time. The current roster of LSU has never beaten Alabama, but nearly all of them has always lost to Alabama.

Second, every player on LSU has heard that no game matters more and that they wont go anywhere until they beat Alabama.

I get it. Its quite analytical to say what you are saying. It just dismisses a mental aspect to sports that is hard to quantify. LSU hasnt scored two of the last three years against Alabama in "show downs." But, i think you know this.
This, basically. Logic and cold analysis doesn't fully dictate the outcome.

Just for an example: An LSU player makes a small mistake early on against Bama, he's probably more likely to press and dwell on that mistake due to the importance of the matchup.  A Bama player makes a small mistake early on against LSU is probably more likely to shrug it off, feeling rightly or wrongly that all the Tide has to do is show up to outclass LSU.

Same applies to the coaching staffs. To everyone involved, really. LSU's football walks a mental high wire against Alabama. Small mistakes get magnified and turn into "here we go again" moments. The converse doesn't happen, IMHO -- though Saban may rail against complacency, Bama players have to feel "safe" going against LSU -- even if LSU makes a few plays early or if the Tide make their own mistakes early.

Are we supposed to be angry at the coach and the university or...?  I want to be in an uproar this morning, but it's hard to tell for which cause based on his comments.

Users who are viewing this thread