What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 College football thread - It's 2020, yo. Go to the new thread. (7 Viewers)

It's the same crew that took away a PSU TD against Nebraska a couple of years back.  PSU had crossed the goal line, THEN the NU player knocked it free.  Ref John O'Neill didn't see it that way.
Also same crew that called that OSU int that hit the ground back in 2015 or so.

It's the same crew that took away a PSU TD against Nebraska a couple of years back.  PSU had crossed the goal line, THEN the NU player knocked it free.  Ref John O'Neill didn't see it that way.
I knew the name looked familiar.  There is a thread on a Husker message board about this crew.  I think they just suck in general.  :shrug:  

Does anyone do less with more than UGA?
This is some coincidence: 

David Paschall

@DavidSPaschall

The starts of Richt & Smart at Georgia continue to amaze:

RICHT 2001: 8-4 2002: 13-1 (SEC #1) 2003: 11-3 (SEC #2) 2004: 5-1

SMART 2016: 8-5 2017: 13-2 (SEC #1) 2018: 11-3 (SEC #2) 2019: 5-1

Georgia’s twitter account has completely abandoned their post.  No tweets since the 4th quarter of the game yesterday. 
Their first tweet, now some 30 odd hours after the game ended, was “when it gets thick, we get tighter” :unsure:  

Their first tweet, now some 30 odd hours after the game ended, was “when it gets thick, we get tighter” :unsure:  
This queued up a bunch of “yea that’s how it works” and “that’s what she said” jokes. 

Georgia twitter is amazing. 

Jalen Hurts and Trevor Lawrence play each other in a few weeks?
I know you were joking but I'm surprised the Trevor Lawrence bandwagon hasn't faded at all.  Has anyone ever done less with more than this guy this year?  Dude is playing with like 800 1st round picks on offense and he's been totally pedestrian.  His numbers look even more awful once you notice that he had like two screen passes go for 80+ yards where he didn't have to do anything.

This is some coincidence: 

David Paschall

@DavidSPaschall

The starts of Richt & Smart at Georgia continue to amaze:

RICHT 2001: 8-4 2002: 13-1 (SEC #1) 2003: 11-3 (SEC #2) 2004: 5-1

SMART 2016: 8-5 2017: 13-2 (SEC #1) 2018: 11-3 (SEC #2) 2019: 5-1
I honestly thought people would start turning on Smart at the end of last year’s Bama game. Then this weekend I don’t know what they were thinking with the last play / penalty during regulation. Just try the kick.  They just had mind numbingly stupid errors all over. 

I was pulling for your guys - listening to UGA chatter in ATL is the 5th ring of hell. 

I know you were joking but I'm surprised the Trevor Lawrence bandwagon hasn't faded at all.  Has anyone ever done less with more than this guy this year?  Dude is playing with like 800 1st round picks on offense and he's been totally pedestrian.  His numbers look even more awful once you notice that he had like two screen passes go for 80+ yards where he didn't have to do anything.
He'll be a different guy in December...but the talk that NFL teams should avoid the #1 pick this year and Tua...to tank for next year and Lawrence...is annoying.

I"m not sure.  I wonder if they have gotten used to winning so much that it's hard for them to take some of these teams seriously.  Or if he's just bored and wants to see what kind of throws he can get away with.  

The bandwagon thing hasn't faded for me in terms of NFL potential because I would still take him over Tua, Hurts, Burrow or anyone else in college.  But he hasn't played as well as those guys this year.

I"m not sure.  I wonder if they have gotten used to winning so much that it's hard for them to take some of these teams seriously.  Or if he's just bored and wants to see what kind of throws he can get away with.  

The bandwagon thing hasn't faded for me in terms of NFL potential because I would still take him over Tua, Hurts, Burrow or anyone else in college.  But he hasn't played as well as those guys this year.
Even that part is an understatement.

Tua: 74% completion, 2011 yds, 11.0 ypa, 27 TD, 1 INT

Trevor: 62% completion, 1301 yds, 8.1 ypa, 11 TD, 6 INT

In college those numbers are just beyond putrid.  Even last year his numbers were only great in the context of them coming from a true freshman.  They weren't anything special overall by college football standards (especially when you consider the dominant talent around him).

He played great in the playoff games and everyone seems to have just kind of assumed that's how he played every week when in reality those games are closer to outliers in his career than they are the standard.

The dude has prototype size, a huge arm, and is surrounded by the best weapons you can have.  So why is it so rare for him to actually put it all together and have a great, productive game?

Last edited by a moderator:
Even that part is an understatement.

Tua: 74% completion, 2011 yds, 11.0 ypa, 27 TD, 1 INT

Trevor: 62% completion, 1301 yds, 8.1 ypa, 11 TD, 6 INT

In college those numbers are just beyond putrid.  Even last year his numbers were only great in the context of them coming from a true freshman.  They weren't anything special overall by college football standards (especially when you consider the dominant talent around him).

He played great in the playoff games and everyone seems to have just kind of assumed that's how he played every week when in reality those games are closer to outliers in his career than they are the standard.

The dude has prototype size, a huge arm, and is surrounded by the best weapons you can have.  So why is it so rare for him to actually put it all together and have a great, productive game?
Just a couple of things here...

It is fair to say that he gets more credit because of how he fared in the playoffs on the big stage. He was a true freshman though and didn’t get full reps until week 5. 

For this season, he’s had some issues but it’s also not as bad as the stats are concerned. We’ve been working in a new TE and new blockers up front. We also run players in and out all the time. We played over 100 players a couple of weeks back and over 90 against FSU this past week. Even if Lawrence is in playing, he’s likely to throw it to one of Swinney’s kids and not just Higgins and Ross.  

Im not trying to argue Lawrence vs Tua. I don’t really care one way or the other, but if you think Lawrence is bad or “beyond putrid” then you’re not seeing the game, just the box score. 

Bottom line: The UNC game was great for us. We always have a game like that, and this year we had that performance and still got the W. 

I can't remember which analyst it was, but they were discussing Lawrence last week or so on ESPNU radio, and he said, "Trevor spent the entire summer working on great hair instead of being a great QB."  OH SNAP!

This is why I (biasedly) am so impressed this year with Tua...and why the NFL will be I'm guessing...he's blossoming and developing under a new OC, who's focused on improving his biggest weakness last year of not adjusting quickly thru multiple reads.

Just a couple of things here...

It is fair to say that he gets more credit because of how he fared in the playoffs on the big stage. He was a true freshman though and didn’t get full reps until week 5. 

For this season, he’s had some issues but it’s also not as bad as the stats are concerned. We’ve been working in a new TE and new blockers up front. We also run players in and out all the time. We played over 100 players a couple of weeks back and over 90 against FSU this past week. Even if Lawrence is in playing, he’s likely to throw it to one of Swinney’s kids and not just Higgins and Ross.  

Im not trying to argue Lawrence vs Tua. I don’t really care one way or the other, but if you think Lawrence is bad or “beyond putrid” then you’re not seeing the game, just the box score. 

Bottom line: The UNC game was great for us. We always have a game like that, and this year we had that performance and still got the W. 
To be clear, I was saying the numbers/stats were beyond putrid, not Lawrence himself.  I was just trying to clarify that the numbers were bad as people seem to sometimes apply NFL standards to college stats and wind up with a misled perception on how good/bad those numbers are.

Certainly putrid stats does not mean putrid player, and Lawrence is a million miles from putrid.  But I do struggle a bit with the notion that putrid stats and greatest generational QB talent since Luck/Peyton fit together as easily as a lot of people seem to be on board with. 

Obviously stats are far from the end all/be all, but a generational QB talent surrounded by NFL level players struggling to put up numbers that can keep up with 4 games of Kyle Trask (two of which were against top 10 teams) is worth some skepticism.

Mad Cow said:
I can't remember which analyst it was, but they were discussing Lawrence last week or so on ESPNU radio, and he said, "Trevor spent the entire summer working on great hair instead of being a great QB."  OH SNAP!
I'm old enough to remember when ESPN focused on highlights and analysis instead of these hot takes.

I've been to a few big college stadiums and very rarely have thought this is the nicest/crappiest looking stadium.   For as cool as they may look on the outside they are all crappy on the inside :lol:

eta: hmm that made me think - trying to go throught the list.  We started a tradition with my dad and now sister of trying to go to one college game every year the past 10 years or so but it doesnt always happen.  My dad doesn't want to go too far West :lol:

Notre Dame

Tennessee

Clemson

Florida State 

Miami - this was awful

Alabama

Pitt (old stadium)

Penn State

Texas A&M

Georgia

I'm forgetting a few more...  Always a good time

Agree 100%.  It's sad really what this rivalry is to Gen Z now after 12 straight...but it's still a very big deal to the rest of us...that jersey change would be a cool shot in the arm.
But it won’t make the rest of us watch a 50 pt. beat down.  Would be cool though.

FreeBaGeL said:
To be clear, I was saying the numbers/stats were beyond putrid, not Lawrence himself.  I was just trying to clarify that the numbers were bad as people seem to sometimes apply NFL standards to college stats and wind up with a misled perception on how good/bad those numbers are.

Certainly putrid stats does not mean putrid player, and Lawrence is a million miles from putrid.  But I do struggle a bit with the notion that putrid stats and greatest generational QB talent since Luck/Peyton fit together as easily as a lot of people seem to be on board with. 

Obviously stats are far from the end all/be all, but a generational QB talent surrounded by NFL level players struggling to put up numbers that can keep up with 4 games of Kyle Trask (two of which were against top 10 teams) is worth some skepticism.
Do me a favor and watch five minutes of Rutgers on offense and then tell me those stats from Lawrence, in a vacuum, are "beyond putrid".

Users who are viewing this thread