What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 College football thread - It's 2020, yo. Go to the new thread. (6 Viewers)

FSU announces plans to privatize its athletics department

The University of Florida and University of Central Florida have long operated their athletics departments as direct-support organizations. FSU officials said they had discussed the move for years and saw it as a chance to make their relationship with Seminole Boosters clearer and more efficient.

The switch will also give FSU athletics all the privileges of a private corporation, including declining any public-records requests while still preserving its sovereign immunity. The immunity clause for state agencies caps any jury judgments or settlements reached by the athletics department at $200,000. Any further settlements would have to be approved by the state Legislature to avoid undue burden on taxpayers, a privilege not enjoyed by traditional corporations.

UConn is going back to the big east where they should be. Future of football is unclear, but they aren’t dropping it. They should drop it down to NAIA so nobody ever has to watch UConn football again imo 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2841875-the-mess-jimbo-left-inside-fsus-fall-and-willie-taggarts-plan-to-rise-again?share=twitter

what I’ve been saying about Jimbo/Willie/FSU for two years now. I may as well have written this. 
I have no doubt that Jimbo let the situation get out of control. It just seems weird to paint a coach whose teams routinely are among the leaders (across multiple stops) in penalties as a disciplinarian. I guess that shows just how much Jimbo checked out. 

I have no doubt that Jimbo let the situation get out of control. It just seems weird to paint a coach whose teams routinely are among the leaders (across multiple stops) in penalties as a disciplinarian. I guess that shows just how much Jimbo checked out. 
I took that as more of off the field, but you have a point. 

Where could the AAC turn to replace UCONN?

Georgia State is an intriguing option, as is UAB. 
That guy still seems focused on eyeballs and TV markets.  That stuff matters in the Power 5 but these G5 conferences have crap TV contracts.  They should be looking at travelling fanbases and upside schools.  James Madison has a 25K seat football stadium that could easily expand to 40K+ if they need to expand it.  They are building a new basketball arena.  They have pretty damn good Olympic sports teams as well.   They are at almost 25K students and always show well on the road.  That's my outside the box but will never happen idea to fill the AAC opening.

That guy still seems focused on eyeballs and TV markets.  That stuff matters in the Power 5 but these G5 conferences have crap TV contracts.  They should be looking at travelling fanbases and upside schools.  James Madison has a 25K seat football stadium that could easily expand to 40K+ if they need to expand it.  They are building a new basketball arena.  They have pretty damn good Olympic sports teams as well.   They are at almost 25K students and always show well on the road.  That's my outside the box but will never happen idea to fill the AAC opening.
That's another good candidate.

No one is thinks the AAC is on the level of even the Pac-12; so why try to compete with them?  There's money to be made doing something different or on a smaller scale.

Ramblin Wreck said:
That guy still seems focused on eyeballs and TV markets.  That stuff matters in the Power 5 but these G5 conferences have crap TV contracts.  .   
AAC TV contract much better( like 6x better or more)  than other G5 contracts.

The TV part really does matter

From the Athletic in April

Details were not publicly disclosed, but Sports Business Journal reported that the American will receive $1 billion from ESPN over a 12-year exclusive deal beginning in 2020. The per-school average comes out to $6.94 million per year, an increase of nearly $5 million per year from the current deal, and it will put more games on television.

For comparison, non-Boise State schools in the Mountain West reportedly receive around $1.1 million per school per year (with new negotiations coming up). It’s $670,000 in the MAC, around $400,000 in the Sun Belt and around $400,000 in Conference USA.

@ChrisVannini: Background on that new TV deal, which will average $7 million per school over 12 years, much higher than other G5 leagues: https://theathletic.com/916865/2019/04/11/american-athletic-conference-mike-aresco-media-rights-deal-tv-espn/

Developing: Bru McCoy will enter the Transfer Portal for the third time in a calendar year as former USC football assistant alleges in lawsuit he was forced to resign after reporting possible NCAA violations

Jared Lorenzen (the former 300 pound QB at Kentucky) passed away today.
Oh man...the Round Mound of Touchdown probably has the best nickname collection ever...he could move like few at that size...sad, but he made an impression on college football.

@MBakerTBTimes: Tampa's George Edmondson - Mr. Two Bits - has died at the age of 97, the #Gators have confirmed. Details for his memorial service (sometime in August) will be announced at a later day.

Suboptimal for their National Championship hopes

@ChrisVannini: #UCF QB Darriel Mack Jr. broke his ankle in a non-football activity this week, the school announces.

“There is no specific timetable for his return. He will not be available for training camp.”

Brandon Wimbush, you're up.

Suboptimal for their National Championship hopes

@ChrisVannini: #UCF QB Darriel Mack Jr. broke his ankle in a non-football activity this week, the school announces.

“There is no specific timetable for his return. He will not be available for training camp.”

Brandon Wimbush, you're up.
THE Brandon Wimbush?  :lmao:

lordy be.....

I wonder if they'll play Ride of the Valkyries when they introduce the visiting team.

@Brett_McMurphy: Miami completes 2020 non-conference schedule, adding home game w/Wagner

USC scheduling a 2021 game against UC Davis.

Leaves UCLA and Notre Dame as the only programs that never have scheduled/played an FCS team.

This has worked multiple times before so imma try again — anybody have any inroads to Georgia football tickets? I’m trying to go to that Notre Dame - UGA game but don’t want to deal with stubhub. 

This has worked multiple times before so imma try again — anybody have any inroads to Georgia football tickets? I’m trying to go to that Notre Dame - UGA game but don’t want to deal with stubhub. 
I might.  Wife's family has had season tickets since the program started (not kidding).  I can ask.  Though they all hate ND, so they'd probably want some sort of blood written letter of assurance that you are NOT a ND fan....I'll get back to you.

The Commish said:
I might.  Wife's family has had season tickets since the program started (not kidding).  I can ask.  Though they all hate ND, so they'd probably want some sort of blood written letter of assurance that you are NOT a ND fan....I'll get back to you.
Wow thanks!! FSU fan so we share Gator hate and definitely not a ND fan. This will be a repeat trip for us since we enjoyed Athens so much in 2016. 

@gump usually seems to be at these big games too. 
College tickets are surprisingly much harder than Pros, even in larger venues...bigger every game bases + bands + the students + public FOIA type concerns and generally just less corporate access.  We specifically lost an UGA deal and ND is...ND.  I’ll ask around though Cap!  That is a monster game in a top 10 college town! 

Last edited by a moderator:
College tickets are surprisingly much harder than Pros, even in larger venues...bigger every game bases + bands + the students + public FOA type concerns and generally just less corporate access.  We specifically lost an UGA deal and ND is...ND.  I’ll ask around though Cap!  That is a monster game in a top 10 college town! 
Thanks! 

Love that all of the conference media days are going on this week.

Nothing like building momentum for the season six weeks before any of the games kick off.  :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread