What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 College football thread - It's 2020, yo. Go to the new thread. (8 Viewers)

Four years of Muschamp as coach is more than enough, but the AD has to go first.  This buyout is insane and you're right; they are not going to pay it without a big candidate.  

Deion does have a son on the team :lol:  
100% agree that Ray Tanner has to go. He is as responsible for this mess as anybody. It all started when he talked Spurrier out of retirement the 1st time. Then when Spurrier did retire he botched the coaching hire and we ended up with Muschamp. Then he gives him this ridiculous extension and buyout when no one else wants the coach. They need someone not tied to the university IMO.  

January 7th: Clemson thumps Alabama 44-16

November 9th: LSU 46 - Alabama 41

So...the last two times Bama has played a legitimately good team, they've given up 90 points, got run out of the gym in one of those games, and got more than they could handle in the other.  And Bama wants a seat at the CFP table because...reasons?  They're Bama.  I'm beginning to think that maybe Bama better sit down at the kiddie table for the time being as they've not shown themselves worthy of a CFP spot.

Discuss.

So...the last two times Bama has played a legitimately good team, they've given up 90 points, got run out of the gym in one of those games, and got more than they could handle in the other.  And Bama wants a seat at the CFP table because...reasons?  They're Bama.  I'm beginning to think that maybe Bama better sit down at the kiddie table for the time being as they've not shown themselves worthy of a CFP spot.

Discuss.
Life isn't fair.

Discuss.
In all seriousness (great title BTW), rational Bama fans realize we have a defensive problem.  Coaching turnover and resulting inexperience are playing a part, injuries and that resulting inexperience on the field are playing a part, opposing offenses are playing a part.  But Saban's D is so complicated, it's affected how ready we are at snap clearly...and how prepared we are in general in game.  He may need to tweak or simplify his scheme understanding this is probably the norm going forward (at least other than injuries).

On the flip side, we have the best O we've ever had...and all believe we can beat anyone because of it.  No reason to bow out of the CFP yet.

Gotta think Pac12 and Big12 melt down further leading to bama getting in easily.  Though it would be fun to see them jump a champion Oregon or Oklahoma to get there.  

If Virginia ends their 15 year losing streak against Va Tech this year, their reward is Clemson in the ACCCG, likely Georgia/Alabama/LSU in the Orange Bowl, and they open with Georgia next year.  

In all seriousness (great title BTW), rational Bama fans realize we have a defensive problem.  Coaching turnover and resulting inexperience are playing a part, injuries and that resulting inexperience on the field are playing a part, opposing offenses are playing a part.  But Saban's D is so complicated, it's affected how ready we are at snap clearly...and how prepared we are in general in game.  He may need to tweak or simplify his scheme understanding this is probably the norm going forward (at least other than injuries).

On the flip side, we have the best O we've ever had...and all believe we can beat anyone because of it.  No reason to bow out of the CFP yet.
I like your analysis; I figured you'd have a good response GB. :thumbup:

I'm not saying they **don't** deserve it, but on the off-chance this is a trend, we would make the same argument about a Notre Dame.  Why not here?

We are at the point where we all agree that it's fun to see bama fail.   So making even their minor struggles seem like Michigan or something is bound to happen.  

I don’t think losing in the national championship game and then losing to the fave for the title this year is really a knock against a team. But I just work here (I don’t work here).
Letting Duke on the schedule for our only P5 OOC game was a terrible move, so if we get left out this year, I'll just use that as my "it's on us" excuse. There's still plenty of football to be played, and there's just no reason for 1 loss teams to argue too much IMO because those arguments are all pretty similar. Alabama, Oklahoma, Oregon, and Penn State are just going to be biased laced discussions where people are arguing past each other: SOS vs. best wins vs. best team, etc.  From the Alabama side, I'd argue the simple fact that our best player was injured in the biggest game of the year.

I hate the way the committee handles things. They move pieces around the board too sporadically, and it really means nothing until that final poll. Sure, you want them to put out polls around this time of the season, but I have never gotten the feeling it meant much the way they move teams around those 4-6 spots, often with people scratching their heads as to why teams move up or down.

Letting Duke on the schedule for our only P5 OOC game was a terrible move, so if we get left out this year, I'll just use that as my "it's on us" excuse. There's still plenty of football to be played, and there's just no reason for 1 loss teams to argue too much IMO because those arguments are all pretty similar. Alabama, Oklahoma, Oregon, and Penn State are just going to be biased laced discussions where people are arguing past each other: SOS vs. best wins vs. best team, etc.  From the Alabama side, I'd argue the simple fact that our best player was injured in the biggest game of the year.
Speaking as a Nittany Lion fan, losing to Minnesota and looking bad doing it is completely on us.  I'm fine discussing our place because at least we're in the conversation.

I don't buy the Tua was hurt excuse.  Tua doesn't play defense.  That was Bama's biggest problem.  That and they have a terrible schedule OOC.  
I've never understood the need for SEC teams to schedule some tomato can the week before their big rivalry game.  Why not just do a bye week?

I've never understood the need for SEC teams to schedule some tomato can the week before their big rivalry game.  Why not just do a bye week?
Lots of complexity talking schedules, led by UF/UGA...but the answer to this is $...a P5 AD who’s in a comparable town to Tuscaloosa told me a few weeks ago his town averages $16m of revenue per home game (I’ve read $10m).

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless Utah/Oregon/Oklahoma totally #### the bed, it's going to be 4 teams from 4 different conferences just like every other year. The justification will be whatever it needs to be. People make this way too complicated every year. 

Unless Utah/Oregon/Oklahoma totally #### the bed, it's going to be 4 teams from 4 different conferences just like every other year. The justification will be whatever it needs to be. People make this way too complicated every year. 
2017-2018 there were two teams from the SEC.  President has been set.

I've purged 2018 from my memory but that goes along with the first part of my statement. It's going to take losses from all three of the schools I mentioned for that to happen again. In 2018 the Big 10 champ and the Pac 12 champ both had two losses. 

I've purged 2018 from my memory but that goes along with the first part of my statement. It's going to take losses from all three of the schools I mentioned for that to happen again. In 2018 the Big 10 champ and the Pac 12 champ both had two losses. 
Nope, OSU had just 1 loss, though it was a doozy to Purdue.  The always overmatched Notre Dame ruined things there.

Every other year huh 

Nope, OSU had just 1 loss, though it was a doozy to Purdue.  The always overmatched Notre Dame ruined things there.
That's a different year. I never know which year to use for the bowls, the year the season took place or the year the bowls happened. When I said 2018 I meant the 2017/2018 season. 

Every other year huh 
It happened one time when there was no solid 4th candidate from the Big 10 or Pac 12. Mark my words, if Oregon, Utah, or OU finishes with one loss there will not be two teams from another conference unless #### just gets crazy. 

That's a different year. I never know which year to use for the bowls, the year the season took place or the year the bowls happened. When I said 2018 I meant the 2017/2018 season. 
I hear ya on that.

Scheduling Duke was extremely dumb. That didn’t make sense from the second it happened. 
Eh, I am the last thing from a Bama apologist but these things are scheduled far enough out you just never know.  A lot of times their SEC schedule is strong enough that they don't really need a big OOC game.  It's a toss-up whether that game is going to help them or hurt them in giving them a possible loss when all they needed was a bye week with a tough 1-loss in conference schedule.  That obviously didn't happen this year, but at the time of scheduling it was a toss-up.

Plus they have a pretty decent track record of scheduling tough OOC games (FSU, USC, Wisconsin over the last 4 years).

None of that is to say it should mean anything different for their argument to get in this year (they should be out unless something really crazy happens) but taking a year off from a tough OOC game wasn't necessarily an obviously bad thing at the time it was scheduled.

Eh, I am the last thing from a Bama apologist but these things are scheduled far enough out you just never know.  A lot of times their SEC schedule is strong enough that they don't really need a big OOC game.  It's a toss-up whether that game is going to help them or hurt them in giving them a possible loss when all they needed was a bye week with a tough 1-loss in conference schedule.  That obviously didn't happen this year, but at the time of scheduling it was a toss-up.

Plus they have a pretty decent track record of scheduling tough OOC games (FSU, USC, Wisconsin over the last 4 years).

None of that is to say it should mean anything different for their argument to get in this year (they should be out unless something really crazy happens) but taking a year off from a tough OOC game wasn't necessarily an obviously bad thing at the time it was scheduled.
Nah, we know Duke is bad at football lol. You don’t have to be Carnac to figure that one out. 

It's November. There will be chaos. There always is chaos. Probably this weekend. Yes, the SEC can get 2 teams in. And that hypothetical picture will be a lot clearer come December. 

I’m sorry, but it boggles the mind that UGA is in the top 4. They lost at home to a 4-6 team who was breaking in a backup freshman QB. They lost to the same team that just lost to a sunbelt team. Don’t give me that SEC is so hard bull#### anymore. 

Nah, we know Duke is bad at football lol. You don’t have to be Carnac to figure that one out. 
What does that have to do with anything I wrote?  I wasn't saying that it was a toss-up whether Duke was going to be a tough opponent.  I was saying it was a toss-up as to whether having a tough OOC opponent would help them or hurt them.

I’m sorry, but it boggles the mind that UGA is in the top 4. They lost at home to a 4-6 team who was breaking in a backup freshman QB. They lost to the same team that just lost to a sunbelt team. Don’t give me that SEC is so hard bull#### anymore. 
No one has earned the 4 seed. So just give it to the team that if they win out then they will be in. 

I chalk that up to recency bias.  We are probably still going to see two SEC teams in the playoff.

I'm pulling for the Gophers to upset it all though.  

Not a lot of the teams in the mix have a good OOC really.  Although it is very hard to predict who will be good years out.
Georgia played Notre Dame, that's a good bet that the game will be a good one at the time it's inked.  Oregon lost closely to Auburn; that was a good school to schedule against.  I'll grant you that OU's looks weak in retrospect, but to your point, it was hard to know how bad UCLA would be this year when they agreed to this one.  

Baylor will - again - be singled out for having an indefensible OOC slate.

Brah, if this was basketball you'd have a point.  They could magically redistribute the talent evenly across D-1 and Duke would STILL SUCK.  The SEC also schedules the Troys, Woffords, and directional Louisiana schools so you might want to sit this one out.

Brah, if this was basketball you'd have a point.  They could magically redistribute the talent evenly across D-1 and Duke would STILL SUCK.  The SEC also schedules the Troys, Woffords, and directional Louisiana schools so you might want to sit this one out.
This argument is just nonsense - sorry GB.

Every conference has cupcakes on the schedule.  And the SEC had teams play ND, Oregon, Texas and Clemson OOC this season and that’s just top of head.

I’m no SEC lover but they are the dominant league and it’s not really close IMO.  But who cares - I don’t root for a league, I root for a team.

As for Duke, they definitely aren’t great but they are decent - been bowling a lot since Cutcliffe got there.  I’m fine with folks having Bama outside of the top-4 if it comes down to it but let’s wait until we get to that point before we bury them - I think they need help to get back in it but not much.  

For example, if Oregon wins out and Bama destroys Auburn, who do you take - Oregon or Bama where the one common opponent beat Oregon but lost to Bama?

This argument is just nonsense - sorry GB.

Every conference has cupcakes on the schedule.  And the SEC had teams play ND, Oregon, Texas and Clemson OOC this season and that’s just top of head.

I’m no SEC lover but they are the dominant league and it’s not really close IMO.  But who cares - I don’t root for a league, I root for a team.

As for Duke, they definitely aren’t great but they are decent - been bowling a lot since Cutcliffe got there.  I’m fine with folks having Bama outside of the top-4 if it comes down to it but let’s wait until we get to that point before we bury them - I think they need help to get back in it but not much.  
I understand where you're coming from on this. It's just that if there are any teams that are guaranteed to be underwhelming, I place my bets on Duke, Rutgers and that ilk.  Your greater point is valid, though.

For example, if Oregon wins out and Bama destroys Auburn, who do you take - Oregon or Bama where the one common opponent beat Oregon but lost to Bama?
You take the conference champion.  Oregon would have beat the best team they faced (1 loss Utah) while Bama lost to the best team they faced (LSU - and it wasn't as close as the final score indicates; they were TD faves too). 

Users who are viewing this thread