Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Tom Servo

2019 College football thread - It's CFP season; Elmer Fudd just bought his license to hunt conference honks.

Recommended Posts

31 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

Hoping to find out. :shrug:

 

To be clear I’m not defending Bama and would prefer to see Oregon, I’m just being realistic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cjw_55106 said:

If the top 8 all win out (regular season), what does the playoff look like?

I cut it off before Penn State because they cant win out if Ohio State wins out. 

Minnesota is an underdog at Iowa this weekend, where they've not won in over a decade.  The'll be at best a pick-em against Wisconsin in the season finale.  Honestly, the game in between at Northwestern is a dangerous trap for the Gophers as well.  I've got Minnesota finishing the season on an 0-3 run.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

For example, if Oregon wins out and Bama destroys Auburn, who do you take - Oregon or Bama where the one common opponent beat Oregon but lost to Bama?

Obviously you take Auburn, #######

  • Laughing 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

I'm no Bama apologist and I agree their defense was bad in both those games.  :shrug:

But I don't think saying they lost to 2 NFL QBs that are surrounded by top-5 talent/athletes necessarily helps the idea that their defense is atrocious.  I still think if Bama thumps Auburn and it's either them or Oregon that Bama gets in.  Just my thought on it and I don't have a vote.

Well, we don't really know the caliber of their defense because between Clemson and LSU, Alabama's schedule has been pockmarked by lackluster teams piloted by guys who will likely never play in the NFL (unless you're a Kellen Mond believer, and I for one am not).  But when Alabama has squared off against future Sunday players, they get throttled.  



 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Capella said:

To be clear I’m not defending Bama and would prefer to see Oregon, I’m just being realistic. 

I understand and I would think LSU would be favored by 10 or more against Oregon, but this is shaping up to be a year where it'll be harder to get 2 teams in from the SEC.  IMO.  Obviously, a lot can change.  Utah could lose to UCLA and then beat Oregon and then I'll be forced to shut up.

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Fat Drunk and Stupid said:

Obviously you take Auburn, #######

Gus Bus heading to Arkansas?

If so this needs to happen after FSU hires their coach. 

Edited by Capella

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Minnesota is undefeated in a P5 conference and beat a top 10 team and is ranked. . . 8th behind 4 one loss teams, three of which have 0 top 25 wins.

Baylor is undefeated in a P5 conference and beat two top 25 teams and is ranked. . . 13th behind 2 teams with 2 losses.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AAABatteries said:

Fair, I just think it's an "easy" argument to make if Bama beats Auburn soundly - Oregon lost to a team Bama pounded that has 3 losses while Bama lost to potentially the #1 team in the country.  I'm not sure how much other arguments matter beyond that (at least in this scenario).

I intentionally kept what I wrote in the past tense. If Alabama dominates Auburn (and Mississippi State) then that goes under consideration. That's just one if-then scenario though. There's dozens of other if-then situations still to play out, including what Oregon does between now and Dec 7. As of Nov 13 I think Oregon is playing from ahead, but that's different than controlling your own destiny. I don't think they do.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Minnesota is an underdog at Iowa this weekend, where they've not won in over a decade.  The'll be at best a pick-em against Wisconsin in the season finale.  Honestly, the game in between at Northwestern is a dangerous trap for the Gophers as well.  I've got Minnesota finishing the season on an 0-3 run.

I think they have a better shot at going 3-0 than 0-3, but I also think their actual path is somewhere in between. I'll be surprised if they win this weekend. I want them to, but this is the sort of spot Iowa seems to always feast on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Minnesota is an underdog at Iowa this weekend, where they've not won in over a decade.  The'll be at best a pick-em against Wisconsin in the season finale.  Honestly, the game in between at Northwestern is a dangerous trap for the Gophers as well.  I've got Minnesota finishing the season on an 0-3 run.

 

I'm with you before and after Northwestern but the are pretty bad this year.  If they lose that game then it's not a good look for Penn State.  I still think OSU is pretty comfortably the best team in that conference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, L5UT1ger said:

Minnesota is undefeated in a P5 conference and beat a top 10 team and is ranked. . . 8th behind 4 one loss teams, three of which have 0 top 25 wins.

Baylor is undefeated in a P5 conference and beat two top 25 teams and is ranked. . . 13th behind 2 teams with 2 losses.

Once Minnesota won in double OT at Fresno the path was clear to 8-0. A pile of home games against bad teams with two road games against also terrible opponents - Purdue and Rutgers. Credit where credit's due for last weekend. Now some big tests lie directly in front of them. And if they beat them then they won't be 8th anymore.

Baylor gets their legitimacy test this weekend. They are now where Minnesota was last weekend. The road wins over Kansas State and Oklahoma State become a whole lot more noteworthy if paired with a win over Oklahoma. A loss and you see why this team went down to the wire against TCU, Texas Tech, West Virginia, and winless Rice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Capella said:

Gus Bus heading to Arkansas?

If so this needs to happen after FSU hires their coach. 

Unfortunately, Simple Jack will almost certainly return to the Plains in 2020.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

And to be even more clear with my take:

F the SEC.

I just still think Bama is maybe going to be one of the 4 best teams.

I hope UGA X violates any pets you have.

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, L5UT1ger said:

Minnesota is undefeated in a P5 conference and beat a top 10 team and is ranked. . . 8th behind 4 one loss teams, three of which have 0 top 25 wins.

Baylor is undefeated in a P5 conference and beat two top 25 teams and is ranked. . . 13th behind 2 teams with 2 losses.

 

Mac_32 addressed this well already, but all you really need to do is turn to Vegas to see what their thoughts are.  

Undefeated in a P5 conference and fresh off a victory of a top 10 team is.....a 3 point underdog to 6-3 Iowa. :mellow:

Meanwhile, undefeated Baylor with wins over Kansas State and Oklahoma State (assuming those are the top 25 teams you cite) is.....a 10 point underdog to OU.

Vegas is TELLING you that Baylor and Minnesota are over-ranked and over-rated.  Baylor's non-conference schedule is inexcusable.  You would have thought they learned from this in the past, but here we are....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, psychobillies said:

Saban will let the SEC revisit the scheduling issues once Tennessee is good again.  Assuming he's still alive of course.

We go this every year too...Saban is the one pushing the ‘visit every stadium’ angle and expansion to 10 conference games...including voting (against LSU, UGA and UF) on record.

Edited by gump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't have to have a conference championship to get in over someone that does, but you have to have an obviously better resume than the conference champ to get in over them.

Even if Bama wins out their argument will be that they are 1-1 against ranked teams and their best win is against an 8-4 or 9-3 team.

If the committee has any ability to set aside the value of a team name for even a minute that is not the kind of resume that should put them in over a conference champ with the same record as them.

Edited by FreeBaGeL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an aside for all the talk about the SEC being the tougher conference I actually think this is one of the years where that helps Alabama the least.  Usually the thing that makes the SEC strong is that there are 8-10 good teams and playing in the conference affords Alabama a bunch of quality wins.  This year there are 5 good teams in the conference, of which Alabama plays 2, and the rest are pretty much junk.

Florida and Georgia being in the SEC has no bearing on Alabama since they didn't play them.  Then the question becomes is playing Texas A&M, Mississippi St, Ole Miss, and Arkansas any more difficult than playing USC, Washington, Wash St, and Arizona State?  I would say not and if anything I would say the latter is a tougher group of games.

 

Edited by FreeBaGeL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Minnesota is an underdog at Iowa this weekend, where they've not won in over a decade.  The'll be at best a pick-em against Wisconsin in the season finale.  Honestly, the game in between at Northwestern is a dangerous trap for the Gophers as well.  I've got Minnesota finishing the season on an 0-3 run.

 

If you know anything about PJ Fleck, the gophers or not susceptible to a trap game.

It’s certainly not a gimme at Iowa, but past history doesn’t mean a damn thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, FreeBaGeL said:

As an aside for all the talk about the SEC being the tougher conference I actually think this is one of the years where that helps Alabama the least.  Usually the thing that makes the SEC strong is that there are 8-10 good teams and playing in the conference affords Alabama a bunch of quality wins.  This year there are 5 good teams in the conference, of which Alabama plays 2, and the rest are pretty much junk.

Florida and Georgia being in the SEC has no bearing on Alabama since they didn't play them.  Then the question becomes is playing Texas A&M, Mississippi St, Ole Miss, and Arkansas any more difficult than playing USC, Washington, Wash St, and Arizona State?  I would say not and if anything I would say the latter is a tougher group of games.

 

:goodposting:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

If you know anything about PJ Fleck, the gophers or not susceptible to a trap game.

It’s certainly not a gimme at Iowa, but past history doesn’t mean a damn thing.

:lmao:

Fleck has been the Gophers' coach for less than 3 years and has never been anywhere remotely near a "trap game".  How exactly are we supposed to know what he's susceptible or not susceptible to (other than cocaine)? 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

:lmao:

Fleck has been the Gophers' coach for less than 3 years and has never been anywhere remotely near a "trap game".  How exactly are we supposed to know what he's susceptible or not susceptible to (other than cocaine)? 

 

I’m willing to wager any amount of money to any person that the Gophers do not lose to Northwestern.

The trap game aspect is pretty simple. The players seem to have fully bought into PJ Fleck and he is not the type of guy that allows teams to look past  anyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

I’m willing to wager any amount of money to any person that the Gophers do not lose to Northwestern.

The trap game aspect is pretty simple. The players seem to have fully bought into PJ Fleck and he is not the type of guy that allows teams to look past  anyone. 

You can make those sorts of wagers at a sports book, offshore book or bookie.  No need to seek out the counterparty for this type of wager.

I hope you're right.  I'd love nothing more than to see Fleck and the Gophers run the table.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gump said:

We go this every year too...Saban is the one pushing the ‘visit every stadium’ angle and expansion to 10 conference games...including voting (against LSU, UGA and UF) on record.

That was said kind of tongue and cheek.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Minnesota is an underdog at Iowa this weekend, where they've not won in over a decade.  The'll be at best a pick-em against Wisconsin in the season finale.  Honestly, the game in between at Northwestern is a dangerous trap for the Gophers as well.  I've got Minnesota finishing the season on an 0-3 run.

 

Northwestern is horrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 9:04 AM, Insein said:

They're trying to suspend him for Maryland and Rutgers in the hopes that the NCAA will say that's good enough and he can play against PSU and Michigan.

Guess NCAA said that's good enough.

"@KirkHerbstreit

JUST IN. 
NCAA has gotten back to @OhioStAthletics appeal and has dropped the games to 2 for Chase Young. This is final. He’s suspended for 2 games and will miss Rutgers Saturday and be back for Penn St and Michigan. His honesty and OSU being forthcoming helped immensely."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, L5UT1ger said:

Minnesota is undefeated in a P5 conference and beat a top 10 team and is ranked. . . 8th behind 4 one loss teams, three of which have 0 top 25 wins.

Baylor is undefeated in a P5 conference and beat two top 25 teams and is ranked. . . 13th behind 2 teams with 2 losses.

You could make a small case for Oregon, but Utah?  IMO, neither of those two teams should be ahead of Minnesota or Penn State.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Insein said:

Guess NCAA said that's good enough.

"@KirkHerbstreit

JUST IN. 
NCAA has gotten back to @OhioStAthletics appeal and has dropped the games to 2 for Chase Young. This is final. He’s suspended for 2 games and will miss Rutgers Saturday and be back for Penn St and Michigan. His honesty and OSU being forthcoming helped immensely."

This was never in doubt....and if they'd had a formidable team instead of Rutgers, it would have only been a one game suspension.  :shrug: 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Capella said:

It's like he woke up one day and thought, "You know, coaching on Saturdays in Tallahassee in front of a packed stadium sure would beat coaching in front of a half-filled high school stadium for a minor league football team."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, psychobillies said:

That was said kind of tongue and cheek.

Ha...figured you’d know that. I wonder though if Bama gets ‘left out’ if it’ll change any school opposition to the 8 game conference schedule.  I understand UF and UGAs issue with it...but not really others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@General Malaise c'mon you know Vegas doesn't set lines to pick winners. They set lines to get money on both sides. So they're not telling you that Minnesota and Baylor are overrated. They're telling you that betters like yourself  think they're overrated.  Splitting hairs maybe...

For Minnesota I somewhat understand the line. Nontraditional football school off big win going to tough place to play. The line has let down game built in.  Plus people love trends and they haven't won there in 20 years. Here's the thing though- What is Iowa's big win? At Iowa State? Close loss to Penn State? I'll take Gophers huge OL plus the free points on the road in an ugly and unconvincing win.

Yes Baylor is probably overrated and will probably lose. The question is if the public is overrating Oklahoma as well. People see the Jalen Hurts highlights and forget they're a missed 2 point conversion away from losing at KState and vs IowaSt in consecutive weeks.  Their defense has given up 89 points those last 2 weeks. IMO there's a good chance Baylor keeps things close enough to cover the 10.5. Baylor has a good Front 7 but can they keep Hurts in the pocket?

Edited by JaxBill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gump said:

Ha...figured you’d know that. I wonder though if Bama gets ‘left out’ if it’ll change any school opposition to the 8 game conference schedule.  I understand UF and UGAs issue with it...but not really others.

I hope so.  When I went to the LSU/UGA game last year, it dawned on me that the last time I saw GA play live, Champ Bailey was playing.  It's almost like we're not in the same conference.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gump said:

Ha...figured you’d know that. I wonder though if Bama gets ‘left out’ if it’ll change any school opposition to the 8 game conference schedule.  I understand UF and UGAs issue with it...but not really others.

I guess I could Google some articles ... but what are UF's and UGa's objections to an 8-game conference slate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Doug B said:

I guess I could Google some articles ... but what are UF's and UGa's objections to an 8-game conference slate?

Thought it had something to do with the cocktail party.

Edited by psychobillies
Never mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, psychobillies said:
8 minutes ago, Doug B said:

I guess I could Google some articles ... but what are UF's and UGa's objections to an 8-game conference slate?

Thought it had something to do with the cocktail party.

The Cocktail Party wouldn't have to go away ... unless some of the 8-team proposals dictate that you don't play everyone in your division every year. I just assumed going to an 8 team schedule meant adding a second opponent from the opposite division.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Doug B said:

The Cocktail Party wouldn't have to go away ... unless some of the 8-team proposals dictate that you don't play everyone in your division every year. I just assumed going to an 8 team schedule meant adding a second opponent from the opposite division.

Right...it's the combo of that and the yearly OOC rival that causes the need to book an extra OOC home game every other year when they go away to the OOC rival.  If the SEC goes to 9 conference games...they will lose a home game every other year.  The cities are obviously impacted by that lost of (avg) $16M a game.

Killing the Cocktail Party seems like the logical solve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, gump said:

Right...it's the combo of that and the yearly OOC rival that causes the need to book an extra OOC home game every other year when they go away to the OOC rival.  If the SEC goes to 9 conference games...they will lose a home game every other year.  The cities are obviously impacted by that lost of (avg) $16M a game.

Killing the Cocktail Party seems like the logical solve.

I think the Cocktail Party heading to campus is only a matter of time.  You could see some kind of 3 year rotation versus home and home with Jacksonville mixed in for awhile.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, gump said:

Right...it's the combo of that and the yearly OOC rival that causes the need to book an extra OOC home game every other year when they go away to the OOC rival.  If the SEC goes to 9 conference games...they will lose a home game every other year.  The cities are obviously impacted by that lost of (avg) $16M a game.

Killing the Cocktail Party seems like the logical solve.

I misunderstood -- the issue with the Cocktail Party is that played at a neutral site? I was thinking the issue was that Georgia and Florida would stop playing every year, which I didn't understand because both teams are in the East.

Aside from Cocktail Party considerations ... I do understand how it could look unappetizing to trade an annual out-of-conference home game for a home-and-home with an SEC opponent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kill all divisions and a lot of these problems go away. Bama and Florida/Georgia etc play every 2 years then. There is literally no reason for these conferences to stick to divisions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Instead of Bama being dragged down by Miss, Miss St, Tennessee and whatever other loser team they are playing from the east they could get a crack at Florida and Georgia and improve their SoS. 
 

Instead of Florida State playing at Georgia Tech every 12 years (INSANE, they are a few hundred miles from each other) they could play every other. 
 

#### divisions. 

Edited by Capella

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Capella said:

#### divisions. 

Tell us how you really feel, GB.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tom Servo said:

Tell us how you really feel, GB.

It’s so stupid! And preventable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Capella said:

It’s so stupid! And preventable. 

Most things associated with the NCAA is quite stupid. I think my health has taken a turn for the better since I stopped stressing so much about it. If those decision makers aren't going to put any logic and effort into it then why the hell would I.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Capella said:

Kill all divisions and a lot of these problems go away. Bama and Florida/Georgia etc play every 2 years then. There is literally no reason for these conferences to stick to divisions. 

YES!  Divisions are the dumbest creation in all of sports.  Get rid of them everywhere.  The NFC West had a playoff team representative with a sub .500 record a few years ago.  That shouldn't ever happen.  NBA should have realigned 15 years ago to even out the ridiculous East/West schism in talent.  College football divisions are terrible.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

YES!  Divisions are the dumbest creation in all of sports.  Get rid of them everywhere.  The NFC West had a playoff team representative with a sub .500 record a few years ago.  That shouldn't ever happen.  NBA should have realigned 15 years ago to even out the ridiculous East/West schism in talent.  College football divisions are terrible.  

That same NFC "West" had Atlanta in New Orleans in that division once, with Dallas in the "East".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.