What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 College football thread - It's 2020, yo. Go to the new thread. (4 Viewers)

I wonder how the Baylor early signees feel about now?
Unless you’re going to your dream school or locking in your spot, I don’t understand signing early anyway.  I can think of maybe 3 schools right now where I feel pretty confident the HC will be the same guy 4 years from now. Dabo, Orgeron, and then probably Smart, Day, and Cristobal. Saban is old, Riley will have NFL offers, Rhule obviously has NFL offers, Franklin could be anywhere, etc...  

bigmarc27 said:
Unless you’re going to your dream school or locking in your spot, I don’t understand signing early anyway.  I can think of maybe 3 schools right now where I feel pretty confident the HC will be the same guy 4 years from now. Dabo, Orgeron, and then probably Smart, Day, and Cristobal. Saban is old, Riley will have NFL offers, Rhule obviously has NFL offers, Franklin could be anywhere, etc...  
A lot of kids enroll early now...Bama had 15 last year, 65% of the class.

Sure, Clemson has signed their entire class for this season already except for maybe 1 player. They all do it, I just don’t understand why. 
Not signed...enrolled.  Kids graduate high school early now in Fall.  Then enroll in College early in January.  Gets them an early start on classes, and allows them to join for Spring practice.  If they don't sign until Feb and enroll until Summer, they don't start in the program until July.

So, I'm not sure if this is common or I am just lucky as #### for a change.  Wife went via stubhub to get tix for the game Wednesday.  She bought endzone seats for $90 each.  Got an email about 30 minutes later saying tix weren't available that they had other seats, were they ok.  Yes, they were ok.  Got an email about 45 minutes after that saying THOSE tix weren't available and to call the 800 number to resolve.  Fine, I call the 800 number.  This happened a couple more times on the phone.  Long story short....I ended up with two $300 tickets on about the 40 yard line and only paying for the $90 tix.  This simply means this UM vs Alabama game is going to be a terrible result for Michigan.  Of that I am now more confident than ever.  It's been 5-6 years since I've seen them play in person and I'm going to get an up close look at their dismantling :kicksrock:  

This looks like a year of destiny for LSU. So impressive.  Just wow.

Great late game. Nail biter most of the way.  Clemson weathered the OSU storm and had a response.  The FG instead of TD were huge, obviously.  Being down 16-0 and being out-played and out-coached during that time was hard to watch but I felt if Clemson could score a TD they'd be right back in it.  They survived the daggar.  It could have easily snow-balled from there and been a blowout. 

Targeting call:  Huge moment in the game.  He clearly lowered his head and hit Lawrence with the crown of his helmet in the fact.  Lawrence lowered his head but it looked like to try and protect himself as he was going nowhere.  Either way, if the defender moves his head and uses his shoulder then it's not targeting, imo.  

But, while that play was a turning point and it gave Clemson 15 and a first down... the moment that turned the tide was when the QB got up from that hit.  He jogged off and they went to work.  There are a lot of QBs that wouldn't have come back.  I like the backup QB for Clemson, but I'd bet the route would be on if Lawrence doesn't come back.  And he came back strong. 

I mentioned in this thread a few months ago that Trevor Lawrence is faster and a better runner than people realize.  He's done this throughout the season with chunk run plays.  

To me, the key to this game was protection.  OSU protected Fields for most of the night.  Clemson's line had a hard time protecting Lawrence.  If Trevor was behind OSU's line I think we'd see a blowout.  If Fields was being Clemson's line... I think it would have been ugly.  

Dobbins getting hurt was bigger than it seemed.  Even after he returned late, he didn't have the explosiveness he had prior to the injury.  Lots of injuries for both teams.  Just a tough, hard fought game on both sides.  

Chase didn't have the impact everyone was looking for.  He played a fine game but wasn't dominant.  Probably another reason why the Heisman usually goes to the QB.   

I thought OSU out coached for most of the game.  One adjustment showed glaringly in the last drive.  Pressure couldn't get to Lawrence because the routes were short.  Quick releases and not standing in the pocket waiting for something to open up.  Brilliant drive. Etienne is so hard to tackle in the open field.  We've watched him do this all season.

It was a great game and a tough beat for either team to lose.  I don't know if the WR ran the wrong route of if Fields let the pass go to quickly. 

Tecumseh said:
Yeah, I'll defer to the guy whose job it is to know the rules.

Blandino

"Officials rule fumble, touchdown for Ohio State. It goesd to review and is overturned to an incomplete pass."

"There's just not enough to change it from catch-fumble to incomplete."

But he's probably just another low information viewer.
If he wants to I'll make my self available to explain it to him.

LSU/Clemson.  Wouldn't be surprised if the line was 5 or 6 (LSU).  They look that unstoppable.  

I see them scoring at least 40 on that fast track.  I do think that Clemson will score too but they'll have to stay with LSU to win.  If Clemson can get a few stops I like their chances.  Either way, a Tiger will win.  I hope it's another great game.  

https://theathletic.com/1494920/2019/12/30/college-football-playoff-schedule-layoff-lsu-clemson/

When the College Football Playoff was crafted by the Football Bowl Subdivision conference commissioners in 2012 and '13, they decided the semifinals would be played on Dec. 31 two out of every three years. The semifinals would rotate through six bowl games and when they were played at the Rose and Sugar bowls, as they will next season, the games would be on Jan. 1.

That's the perfect spot: a national holiday when most people are off from work, being couch potatoes after ringing in the New Year.

But the conferences that partner with the Rose (Pac-12 and Big Ten) and Sugar (Southeastern and Big 12) bowls chose to lock their showcase games into those Jan. 1 time slots for the 12-year duration of the playoff. Even when they weren't hosting semifinals.

That led to the ill-fated idea to reinvent New Year's Eve as a night to watch college football. It did not work and after one season the plan was scrapped. Future schedules in which the semifinals were planned to be played on Dec. 31 were moved to the closest Saturday, unless New Year's Eve was a Saturday.

This year's schedule became particularly problematic because while the semifinals could be moved up to Dec. 28, the championship game could not be moved from Jan. 13.

CFP officials have said the Superdome in New Orleans was not able to accommodate the switch, which would have provided a more normal eight-day lead-up.

So instead, the teams have more than two weeks between games, and two rounds of NFL playoffs will be played in the meantime.

So it's the Superdome's fault.  

Last edited by a moderator:
gump said:
Amazingly LSU will play in its 3rd BCS/CFP Champ game in NOLA in the last 12 years. Something in the water...
Not sure how i forgot Saban's first BCS champ there....4/4 in BCS/CFP Champ games for LSU in NOLA.  Crazy.

Sure, Clemson has signed their entire class for this season already except for maybe 1 player. They all do it, I just don’t understand why. 
So they can participate in spring ball and get caught up with the speed of the game and be more adjusted than waiting to the summer/fall. I read about this several years ago when the Buckeyes had one or two guys doing this. It was cutting edge then but now it’s pretty standard. 

Catch/fumble play.  I didn't think they'd over turn the call on the field.  I don't think the NFL would have there and probably a different crew would have kept the call.  

He took 3 steps, yes.  But those steps were towards his end zone.  He never made a move to turn around, he couldn't.  

If those 3 steps constitute possession, then his forward progress was stopped.  Whistle should have been blown.  Either way, Clemson is punting back to OSU there.   But it didn't blow, so I agree that Clemson was fortunate there.  Ross has to put that ball away.  

In fast motion it looked like an incomplete pass.  In slow motion, a fumble.  Tough call to over turn since a fumble was called.  I admit that if I were an OSU fan I'd be upset on that one.  If it was the other way around, I'd be upset.

That said, OSU had their chances to win this game.  Roughing the punter was stupid.  Kicking FGs from inside the 5 haunted them.  If you like your defense so much then go for it and take your chances with Clemson backed up on the goal line if you don't make it.  

OSU jumped out and controlled the game but couldn't close.  Then they gave up a 4 play, 94 yard drive in less than a minute.  Incredible game and it sucked that someone had to lose.  

Doug B said:
I know Trevor Lawrence has the long TD run. But I see that he had 15 carries so far (and counting). Had he been a Lamar Jackson type with planned runs as part of his overall game? Or is he more of a Steve Young opportunistic runner?
Lawrence has been running like this all season, mostly zone reads but he escapes the pocket and gets first downs all the time.  He does have a handful of planned runs.  Too many imo. He only does it in the first half most games, but if he played entire games he'd have an impressive rushing stat line for the season.  And it's nice to see he got to show his ability on a big stage.  Those who have watched all the Clemson games has seen this all season.  

Wow Marvin Wilson back to FSU. Projected rounds 1 or 2. Why would he do that. 
There is a significant tier apparently around top 15-ish that kids are considering...if you have a chance to get into that tier next year, it may be worth coming back.

There is a significant tier apparently around top 15-ish that kids are considering...if you have a chance to get into that tier next year, it may be worth coming back.
Can’t imagine that makes sense. Miss out on a year of 3-4M that you’ll never recover to try and improve by a 2M? 

I've always wondered how guys who struggle hard with grades manage to graduate early. If they're simply waved through like Dexter Manley ... OK, that I understand.

Aside from that kind of stuff, though ... what is the semi-legit (or even legit) way that academically-challenged star athletes get through high school early?

Wow Marvin Wilson back to FSU. Projected rounds 1 or 2. Why would he do that. 
Too wide of a projected range? If a kid can't be guaranteed for-sure to be selected top several vs. falling into the 50s/60s ... maybe playing one more year of college to earn that extra several million on your rookie pro contract makes sense :shrug:  

Otherwise, not sure what the reasoning is. 

Can’t imagine that makes sense. Miss out on a year of 3-4M that you’ll never recover to try and improve by a 2M
The contract difference between, say, pick 10 and pick 50 is more than 2 million, isn't it? I am spitballing it without looking it up, admittedly.

Catch/fumble play.  I didn't think they'd over turn the call on the field.  I don't think the NFL would have there and probably a different crew would have kept the call.  

He took 3 steps, yes.  But those steps were towards his end zone.  He never made a move to turn around, he couldn't.  

If those 3 steps constitute possession, then his forward progress was stopped.  Whistle should have been blown.  Either way, Clemson is punting back to OSU there.   But it didn't blow, so I agree that Clemson was fortunate there.  Ross has to put that ball away.  

In fast motion it looked like an incomplete pass.  In slow motion, a fumble.  Tough call to over turn since a fumble was called.  I admit that if I were an OSU fan I'd be upset on that one.  If it was the other way around, I'd be upset.

That said, OSU had their chances to win this game.  Roughing the punter was stupid.  Kicking FGs from inside the 5 haunted them.  If you like your defense so much then go for it and take your chances with Clemson backed up on the goal line if you don't make it.  

OSU jumped out and controlled the game but couldn't close.  Then they gave up a 4 play, 94 yard drive in less than a minute.  Incredible game and it sucked that someone had to lose.  
I dont think it was a catch, I was surprised it was over turned, and the crying about it has been beyond nauseating. 

The contract difference between, say, pick 10 and pick 50 is more than 2 million, isn't it? I am spitballing it without looking it up, admittedly.
Yes but I was working under the assumption he’d go in the top-25. Before his hand injury I saw him mocked around 15, but of course those mocks could be 1000% wrong. 

Yes but I was working under the assumption he’d go in the top-25. Before his hand injury I saw him mocked around 15, but of course those mocks could be 1000% wrong. 
Hadn't looked at Leroy Hoard's link yet ... but just for some numbers to chew on:

2019's #10 overall was estimated pre-draft to get an $11.9 million signing bonus. The #32 overall pick was estimated at a $5.4 million bonus. So just those 22 spots -- all in the first round -- is a $6.5 million swing in up-front money.

And even if a kid does a lot of legwork and analysis and is pretty certain of going top-25 ... but can't get it narrowed down any better than, say, a range from #10 to #25. That's still a $5.3 million dollar difference.

EDIT: Oh yeah, going by Leroy Hoard's link at Heavy.com ... the difference between #10 and #50 is north of $9 million dollars just in signing bonus.

Hadn't looked at Leroy Hoard's link yet ... but just for some numbers to chew on:

2019's #10 overall was estimated pre-draft to get an $11.9 million signing bonus. The #32 overall pick was estimated at a $5.4 million bonus. So just those 22 spots -- all in the first round -- is a $6.5 million swing in up-front money.

And even if a kid does a lot of legwork and analysis and is pretty certain of going top-25 ... but can't get it narrowed down any better than, say, a range from #10 to #25. That's still a $5.3 million dollar difference.

EDIT: Oh yeah, going by Leroy Hoard's link at Heavy.com ... the difference between #10 and #50 is north of $9 million dollars just in signing bonus.
ESPN just said he was #25 on Kiper’s board. That’s a lot of risk trying to move up 15 spots. Just because he’s coming back doesn’t mean he moves up. 

Holy crap. After the WMU QB falls down and they fail to convert on fourth, WKU comes down and throws a hail mary as time expires - incomplete.

BUT WAIT - after piecing together three different camera views, we can see that WMU had 12 men on the field. One last play for WKU. Freshman kicker nails a 52 yd fg as time expires to win.

What a game.

True but you're almost better off going pick 33 than say 27 because they can't tender you for an extra year.  

It wasn't overturned.  People need to stop saying this #### and understand the rules. 
The ruling on the field wasn’t overturned?
no

read the rules

Continuation is assumed in a play like this, so the "ruling on the field" is not a ruling.  It's a formality.  If they ruled it an incomplete pass the play would have been blown dead and the recovering team would have no opportunity to return the ball.  To avoid this they train the refs to let the play go, rule it a fumble then go to the booth.  
It was overturned, and Roger Redding, the NCAA's national coordinator of officials, admitted today that overturning it was the wrong decision. Link: https://sports.yahoo.com/report-college-football-officiating-coordinator-says-ohio-states-fumble-return-td-shouldnt-have-been-overturned-223515191.html

Tune in just in time to the Orange Bowl to see the officials clearly blow a fumble. Even clearer after review but they still mess it up. 

NCAA needs to blow up its officiating model. Conference officials are awful. No accountability is awful. Replay officials should be held accountable too. 

Tune in just in time to the Orange Bowl to see the officials clearly blow a fumble. Even clearer after review but they still mess it up. 

NCAA needs to blow up its officiating model. Conference officials are awful. No accountability is awful. Replay officials should be held accountable too. 
Is the NFL any better?  Football is infinitely harder than any other sport to officiate, things will get missed. 

Is the NFL any better?  Football is infinitely harder than any other sport to officiate, things will get missed. 
Then why even bother with replay anymore? The officials aren’t just missing live calls now, they’re even missing them with the benefit of slow motion multiple angles because they don’t know or understand rules or are just outright incompetent. 

Then why even bother with replay anymore? The officials aren’t just missing live calls now, they’re even missing them with the benefit of slow motion multiple angles because they don’t know or understand rules or are just outright incompetent. 
I’d be fine killing it off honestly.  At a minimum just pare it down to scoring and turnovers. 

Replay controversy aside, interesting game. Bryce Perkins making a statement.  Mullen passing up a 54 yard FG to go for it on 4th and 8 since he's already up 3 points and needs TD probably and rewarded.  (Psst Ryan Day)

:thumbup:  kill replay 
It works... as long as they don't allow replay officials to make judgement calls. The replay should be for correcting obviously bad judgement calls, and not be a judgement call process in itself. If a replay ref needs to make a judgement call, then they should stop right there and say there is not enough evidence to overturn the call.  

It works... as long as they don't allow replay officials to make judgement calls. The replay should be for correcting obviously bad judgement calls, and not be a judgement call process in itself. If a replay ref needs to make a judgement call, then they should stop right there and say there is not enough evidence to overturn the call.  
Yep, if you can't over turn it within...I dont know, 10 seconds - then the monitor blacks out and resume play. 

Users who are viewing this thread