What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 College football thread - It's 2020, yo. Go to the new thread. (11 Viewers)

Schiano is recruiting at an even higher level than he was back when he left Rutgers for the NFL. Just got a commit from the #2 kid in NJ and it looks like there’s a great chance he’ll land at least two other top 5 kids including #1.

And we almost ended up with Addazio...

The NFL can print money without a fan walking through the turnstile.  Only the top 35  or 40 NCAA teams could afford having zero gate.
These athletic departments crying poverty while they spent a decade burning cash so they didn’t have to pay the players is going to be so delicious. 

Was very much looking forward to Oregon kicking Ohio State's assssssssssssssssssssssssss in Eugene this Sept.  Oh well......
Oregon took my tickets after I paid for them to sell them all at a discount to a large broker.  We had contacted an attorney but now I'm liking that both of them are stuck.  One good thing to come out of all this.  It's all I can do to not send the Oregon Assistant AD an email full of laughing emojis.

These athletic departments crying poverty while they spent a decade burning cash so they didn’t have to pay the players is going to be so delicious. 
Their crunch is going to be over the "donation" part of the tickets.  They are going to have a problem I think trying to scoop that money without having a season.  Yet they've gotten so fat in overhead they can't afford not to.  I've heard discussions of a later start to the season and only playing conference games.  My supposition is they are so cash poor they may have to credit tickets and donations into 2021.  Hard to stand against the public relations tide of keeping fans' money for a season that never happened when those very people many will have lost their jobs, could be battling to not lose their homes, etc.

The NFL can print money without a fan walking through the turnstile.  Only the top 35  or 40 NCAA teams could afford having zero gate.
When it comes to the NCAA, that number is zero.  The NFL only has itself to worry about.  Even the large football factories in the SEC use the football funds to support the other sports, Title IX, the overhead of the athletic dept and salaries, etc.  Word I had was Alabama even had to dip into their incoming football cash flows to refund the canceled SEC Tournament,  women's softball and baseball games.  That's astounding because they don't have big money tied up in any, likely the SEC Tournament would have been the biggest amount.  The fact they have no financial backstop for even a small blip like that is amazing..  Another thing to note is many colleges, the towns live on the traffic on gamedays.  Starkville, Tuscaloosa, Auburn, Athens, they aren't Chicago or NYC.  The economies around there would be crushed just by not having home game crowds.  As far as further direct impact on the schools, keep in mind most of them now make large margins by subbing out the tailgating business and getting a cut there, concessions, etc.  

I have strong doubts that college plays in the fall.  The timeline doesn't match up with the graphs and predictions.   If there is no football revenue it's going to wipe out athletic departments.   I cannot think of a realistic scenario where they can start in late august.  A shortened season is probably doable but damn that would take a lot of work.

I have strong doubts that college plays in the fall.  The timeline doesn't match up with the graphs and predictions.   If there is no football revenue it's going to wipe out athletic departments.   I cannot think of a realistic scenario where they can start in late august.  A shortened season is probably doable but damn that would take a lot of work.
They’re putting in the work now to plan it...I’m confident a season happens, maybe shortened. Some of $6.5B is better than none.

Last edited by a moderator:
They’re putting in the work now to plan it...I’m confident a season happens, maybe shortened.
I am trying to figure out how a shortened season works?  Reconfigure the schedule?   Pick up on whatever week it starts back?  Conference only? 

I am trying to figure out how a shortened season works?  Reconfigure the schedule?   Pick up on whatever week it starts back?  Conference only? 
If I had to guess, it would be conference games only.  Of course, $EC will still want their late November tomato can before rivalry weekend.

Oregon took my tickets after I paid for them to sell them all at a discount to a large broker.  We had contacted an attorney but now I'm liking that both of them are stuck.  One good thing to come out of all this.  It's all I can do to not send the Oregon Assistant AD an email full of laughing emojis.
Wait, what?  I don't understand any of this.

Wait, what?  I don't understand any of this.
Oregon invoiced me for my 2020 football tickets and Duck Athletic Fund donation per seat, I paid them, then after payment in January they emailed and said they were revoking my season tickets as they now had decided to partner with a consolidating ticket broker.  The revocation came in February.  They apparently put this broker contract up for bid in November, I found the record on the U of O bids and contracts website.  

They are still working on all options, including pushing back the start and end of the season...but I’d guess Conf Only wins out...I will be asking a lot of questions over the next few weeks to some involved.

I was looking forward to finally hearing "Enter Sandman" at Lane when Penn State plays there. Have a hotel already reserved. :(

Orgeron getting divorced.

My take: can’t handle a marriage, probably not a good person to be in charge of kids. Recruits should stay away, go to Clemson. 

Oregon invoiced me for my 2020 football tickets and Duck Athletic Fund donation per seat, I paid them, then after payment in January they emailed and said they were revoking my season tickets as they now had decided to partner with a consolidating ticket broker.  The revocation came in February.  They apparently put this broker contract up for bid in November, I found the record on the U of O bids and contracts website.  
So, you're not an Oregon Ducks fan, you're a ticket broker?  That's a business I know nothing about.  How do brokers differentiate themselves from scalpers?  Up for some education on this one.  How many different schools do you have season tickets for?  You don't have to answer, I'm just very curious about this business.  :thumbup:

They are still working on all options, including pushing back the start and end of the season...but I’d guess Conf Only wins out...I will be asking a lot of questions over the next few weeks to some involved.
If conference games only, how many wins to be eligible for a bowl?   4?   In this scenario, how about every team goes to a "bowl"?  Other than the normal bowls, have every team find a non-conference dance partner for an end of season game.  Odd times call for odd measures.

Some notes from a survey of over 100 FBS AD's, to give you an idea of how the people closest to college athletics feel today:

• 65% project a 30% or less drop in revenue in '20/'21 fiscal (July 1-June 30)
  • Revenue streams most at risk are Donations (75%) are Ticket Sales (74%)
  • Only 33% P5 ADs believe NCAA Distributions will be significantly reduced
  • Current Compensation and Limiting the Arms Race are top ways to limit crisis impact
  • 67% believe an on-campus enrollment decrease is the most likely outcome from this crisis
  • 53% believe live attendance at sporting events will decrease
  • 40% believe sports TV ratings will increase

Some notes from a survey of over 100 FBS AD's, to give you an idea of how the people closest to college athletics feel today:

• Current Compensation and Limiting the Arms Race are top ways to limit crisis impact
  • 67% believe an on-campus enrollment decrease is the most likely outcome from this crisis
Is there a link to this?

Yep.  Donations/Ticket Sales are essentially one and the same today.  A few schools may have the chance to split hairs to keep some of the donor dollars with no season but most will have to alienate a lot of fans to do so.  South Carolina for instance has a club piece, a per seat donation required, then face value.  Not many schools do it that way.  But in their case they can say the club piece is donation and we are refunding the other two, in fact so far that is their plan.  Most schools just have a "donation" tied to your seat location that is required for the tickets.  With no season being played, it's going to create quite the cash flow issue and likely having to credit these "donations" to avoid a mass loss of their donor/ticket base.

So, you're not an Oregon Ducks fan, you're a ticket broker?  That's a business I know nothing about.  How do brokers differentiate themselves from scalpers?  Up for some education on this one.  How many different schools do you have season tickets for?  You don't have to answer, I'm just very curious about this business.  :thumbup:
Not sure how to answer this.  I look at myself as a wholesaler, no different than the guy with the warehouse who buys bulk products from manufacturers to sell to retailers.  My model is essentially the same.  The schools in this case are my manufacturers.

Orgeron getting divorced.

My take: can’t handle a marriage, probably not a good person to be in charge of kids. Recruits should stay away, go to Clemson. 
The best thing to do is not to have posted this. The second best thing is to delete it. 

32 First Round Picks in the #NFLDraft tonight. Here is a breakdown of their High School Recruiting Ratings: -

• 5-star 6 (19%)
  • 4-star 16 (50%)
  • 3-start 9 (28%)
  • 2-start 1 (3%)
 Where first-rounders played in high school:

• Texas-7
  • Florida, Georgia, Louisiana-3
  • Alabama-2
  • 1-Ohio, Maryland, Hawaii, Oregon, Kentucky, Kansas, Virginia, Iowa, South Carolina, Arizona, Nevada, New Jersey, California, New York
2020 NFL Draft First Round By The Numbers:

15 SEC Players drafted (record) 5: Big 12 Players drafted 5: Big 10 Players Drafted

5: LSU players drafted 4: Alabama players drafted 3: Pac-12 players drafted 3: Ohio State players drafted 2: TCU players drafted 2: ACC Players drafted

32 First Round Picks in the #NFLDraft tonight. Here is a breakdown of their High School Recruiting Ratings: -

• 5-star 6 (19%)
  • 4-star 16 (50%)
  • 3-start 9 (28%)
  • 2-start 1 (3%)

• Texas-7
  • Alabama-2
  • 1-Ohio, Maryland, Hawaii, Oregon, Kentucky, Kansas, Virginia, Iowa, South Carolina, Arizona, Nevada, New Jersey, California, New York

15 SEC Players drafted (record) 5: Big 12 Players drafted 5: Big 10 Players Drafted

5: LSU players drafted 4: Alabama players drafted 3: Pac-12 players drafted 3: Ohio State players drafted 2: TCU players drafted 2: ACC Players drafted

Also the first three players in the draft went to Ohio State out of high school. 

gump said:

• 5-star 6 (19%)
  • 4-star 16 (50%)
  • 3-start 9 (28%)
  • 2-start 1 (3%)

• Texas-7
  • Alabama-2

Why do we get 2 ACC and 2 TCU but not 2 Oklahoma? Ceedee + Murray!

gump said:

• 5-star 6 (19%)
  • 4-star 16 (50%)
  • 3-start 9 (28%)
  • 2-start 1 (3%)

• Texas-7
  • Alabama-2

ESPN just did that for ratings. 

If you're an old guy (over 40) NBCSN has been showing classic games from the late 80's and early 90's recently.  ND-WVU Fiesta Bowl right now and the Miami-Penn State Fiesta Bowl later tonight.  Had some good Miami and FSU games earlier this week.

If you're an old guy (over 40) NBCSN has been showing classic games from the late 80's and early 90's recently.  ND-WVU Fiesta Bowl right now and the Miami-Penn State Fiesta Bowl later tonight.  Had some good Miami and FSU games earlier this week.
They had the FSU Nebraska national title game last night too. Think the 1975 rose bowl tomorrow. 

Ramblin Wreck said:
Damn, caught some of penn st-Miami and was just thinking I would like to see that nd-wvu game

I know the wheels are in motion for paying players and it's only a matter of time before it happens, but I've been thinking about this for a while and heard whispers of similar approaches on different pages.  Would a fan/booster sponsored "pension plan" be against current NCAA rules?  You'd be "fully vested" after 3/4 years of school and be allotted X amount of dollars after you left school.  Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread