What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 College football thread - It's 2020, yo. Go to the new thread. (3 Viewers)

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/board/120/Contents/justin-fields-broken-thumb--139261107/

Rumor of Justin Fields broke his non-throwing thumb.  **RUMOR**

Line hasn't moved so this is probably garbage.
meh...Michigan would have to play a perfect game to keep it close anyway.  If they have a shot it will be because they finally understand throwing jump balls to Collins or DPJ (whichever one isn't double covered) is the way to go....all game long....every play and mix in a QB run every now and then.  Michigan still doesn't have the speed on defense at the slot to cover one on one and while Brown has done more zone this year than I've seen his whole tenure prior, I remain skeptical that he will break from his tendencies.

meh...Michigan would have to play a perfect game to keep it close anyway.  If they have a shot it will be because they finally understand throwing jump balls to Collins or DPJ (whichever one isn't double covered) is the way to go....all game long....every play and mix in a QB run every now and then.  Michigan still doesn't have the speed on defense at the slot to cover one on one and while Brown has done more zone this year than I've seen his whole tenure prior, I remain skeptical that he will break from his tendencies.
First half turnovers, injuries, and goofy stuff like blocked punts are unfortunately the only way this thing is a game. Still may not have time to salt this thing away. Hope I'm wrong but this Ohio team isn't like anything we've seen before. They're the best team in the country and I don't think it's close. 

First half turnovers, injuries, and goofy stuff like blocked punts are unfortunately the only way this thing is a game. Still may not have time to salt this thing away. Hope I'm wrong but this Ohio team isn't like anything we've seen before. They're the best team in the country and I don't think it's close. 
A good oline and WR corp gives them a run for their money...no doubt in my mind...especially if you have two WRs where they can't double team.  From what I've seen, LSU is a nightmare match up for them.  I totally question Michigan's oline in this game.  I don't think they're good enough to give #2 the time to challenge their corners.  This is a game where Michigan needs to establish the pass to set up the run.

Still have occasional nightmares of Haskins abusing Brandon Watson on crossing routes

The 1969 Buckeyes came into the game as 17 point favorites, ranked number 1 in the country, riding a 22 game winning streak that included a 50-14 shellacking of Michigan the year before.  Many observers regarded Woody Hayes' 1969 squad, which included five first-team all-Americans, as among the best college teams of all-time.

Michigan, under first-year head coach and former Hayes assistant Bo Schembechler, was ranked 12th in the latest poll on the strength of a 7-2 record. The stakes were high for both teams.  The Buckeyes were seeking their second consecutive Big Ten and national titles and a chance to be listed among the all-time greats.  Michigan could gain a share of the Big Ten title and a measure of revenge for the previous year's humiliation and the rookie coach could prove himself against the master.

Michigan 24- OSU-12

The 1969 Buckeyes came into the game as 17 point favorites, ranked number 1 in the country, riding a 22 game winning streak that included a 50-14 shellacking of Michigan the year before.  Many observers regarded Woody Hayes' 1969 squad, which included five first-team all-Americans, as among the best college teams of all-time.

Michigan, under first-year head coach and former Hayes assistant Bo Schembechler, was ranked 12th in the latest poll on the strength of a 7-2 record. The stakes were high for both teams.  The Buckeyes were seeking their second consecutive Big Ten and national titles and a chance to be listed among the all-time greats.  Michigan could gain a share of the Big Ten title and a measure of revenge for the previous year's humiliation and the rookie coach could prove himself against the master.

Michigan 24- OSU-12
Even as a Michigan fan, I'm not watching the game this year. We've seen this set up before, and it hasn't ended well for the Maize and Blue this millennium. I turned the game off halfway through the 3rd quarter last year, and until Michigan starts winning this game more than once a decade, I probably won't watch.

Even as a Michigan fan, I'm not watching the game this year. We've seen this set up before, and it hasn't ended well for the Maize and Blue this millennium. I turned the game off halfway through the 3rd quarter last year, and until Michigan starts winning this game more than once a decade, I probably won't watch.
I will watch.  I do agree when Michigan  won 11 out of 12 during the Bruce-Cooper era the rivalry got boring as well.

They were 1 play away from winning a couple years ago so who knows?   I am not expecting a win but hopefully it will be a good game.

Michigan 24- OSU-12
IIRC, even if Michigan had lost, they would've gone to the Rose Bowl because of the Big 10's stupid "no repeat" rule.

[Ohio State] the best team in the country and I don't think it's close. 
(Disclosure: I have not seen any Ohio State games this season)

I'm looking forward to finding out. Since I haven't seen Ohio State this year, I can't be sure of anything about them. Still, it's hard to imagine that they would conclusively outclass LSU or Alabama.

I'll admit, also, that many fans down here kinda doubt Ohio State after the January 2008 National Championship game. Granted, that game was in New Orleans and was 12 seasons ago and has no impact on the 2019 Buckeyes.

Much is made (even - or especially - locally) of LSU's final scores ... that they are letting teams back in and aren't getting those style points. In the Tigers defense ... they have been getting way up on good opponents and consistently making sure the game result is not in doubt by mid-third quarter or so. Do we count it against LSU that they so often take their foot off the pedal in the second half? Are 50- and 60-point margins of victory necessary to establish dominance? I guess we'll see.

(Disclosure: I have not seen any Ohio State games this season)

I'm looking forward to finding out. Since I haven't seen Ohio State this year, I can't be sure of anything about them. Still, it's hard to imagine that they would conclusively outclass LSU or Alabama.

I'll admit, also, that many fans down here kinda doubt Ohio State after the January 2008 National Championship game. Granted, that game was in New Orleans and was 12 seasons ago and has no impact on the 2019 Buckeyes.

Much is made (even - or especially - locally) of LSU's final scores ... that they are letting teams back in and aren't getting those style points. In the Tigers defense ... they have been getting way up on good opponents and consistently making sure the game result is not in doubt by mid-third quarter or so. Do we count it against LSU that they so often take their foot off the pedal in the second half? Are 50- and 60-point margins of victory necessary to establish dominance? I guess we'll see.
This isn't anything like previous versions. Talent isn't substantially different, but the attention to detail funneling down from the new coaching staff. It isn't anything like under Urban. I'd be shocked if the 3rd quarter against Penn St repeats itself. I was hoping that mental lapse would happen sometime a week later and now that it has I have no expectation of it happening again. 

Believe me. I wish it weren't the case. I hate that team. 

This isn't anything like previous versions. Talent isn't substantially different, but the attention to detail funneling down from the new coaching staff. It isn't anything like under Urban. I'd be shocked if the 3rd quarter against Penn St repeats itself. I was hoping that mental lapse would happen sometime a week later and now that it has I have no expectation of it happening again. 

Believe me. I wish it weren't the case. I hate that team. 
You hate Penn State more than Michigan?

Schiano and Rutgers are getting the negotiations restarted. 

He’s going to end up with an even better deal after all of this. 

Miss St is getting the majority of $ it appears for tomorrow’s Egg Bowl.

Otherwise very little movement in Rivalry Weekend.

Michigan 24- OSU-12
As a Buckeye homer (I remember Woody’s punch, the Earl Bruce days and endured the Cooper era) I get nervous every year and know that you can throw the records out.

I know one of these years, they are going to get us but this would be an awful year for that to happen. 

As a Buckeye homer (I remember Woody’s punch, the Earl Bruce days and endured the Cooper era) I get nervous every year and know that you can throw the records out.

I know one of these years, they are going to get us but this would be an awful year for that to happen. 
OSU should win but hopefully it will be a good game.

The goal - don't embarrass ourselves. Fun way to approach the biggest game of the year. 
Pretty sure the team is not approaching it that way.   They are jacked from what I have been  reading. Great moments are born from great opportunity..and that is what we have here Saturday boys.

The fans?  Not so sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure the team is not approaching it that way.   They are jacked from what I have been  reading. Great moments are born from great opportunity..and that is what we have here Saturday boys.

The fans?  Not so sure.
I have no concerns about the team's approach to the game. I just don't think it will matter. This isn't anything like we have ever faced before in this rivalry. 

I have no concerns about the team's approach to the game. I just don't think it will matter. This isn't anything like we have ever faced before in this rivalry. 
I agree but Purdue destroyed OSU last year so stranger things have happened.

Clemson at South Carolina ...how bad is it going to get?

Clemson is currently on a 5 game win streak, with wins by 18, 5, 49, 24 and 21. 
:kicksrock:

I think it's going to be at least by 5 TDs and probably more. Getting it over early in the day is probably going to be the biggest positive for the day. I would love to be wrong. 

Are you going to the game? 

I think it's going to be at least by 5 TDs and probably more. Getting it over early in the day is probably going to be the biggest positive for the day. I would love to be wrong. 

Are you going to the game? 
Yep, I'll be there.  High hopes, low expectations.

Not sure if this is the right thread, but anyone been to a College GameDay?

My 16 year old is an avid college football fan (though he hates the hometown MN sports, long story, don't ask).  He wants to go as it is is town this weekend.  But, combing the crowd, with the weather, with the parking, I can't imagine any possibly way worse to spend a weekend.  My step daughter went earlier this year and the picture she paints isn't great.  You can't actually hear the broadcast.  Unless you are lined up in the middle of the night (maybe earlier) you have no shot of being by the stage.  Even then, you can't hear the broadcast so all you are doing is hoping for a 5 second shot of being on TV.

Someone explain the appeal here.

Users who are viewing this thread