What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 College football thread - It's 2020, yo. Go to the new thread. (2 Viewers)

Not sure if this is the right thread, but anyone been to a College GameDay?

My 16 year old is an avid college football fan (though he hates the hometown MN sports, long story, don't ask).  He wants to go as it is is town this weekend.  But, combing the crowd, with the weather, with the parking, I can't imagine any possibly way worse to spend a weekend.  My step daughter went earlier this year and the picture she paints isn't great.  You can't actually hear the broadcast.  Unless you are lined up in the middle of the night (maybe earlier) you have no shot of being by the stage.  Even then, you can't hear the broadcast so all you are doing is hoping for a 5 second shot of being on TV.

Someone explain the appeal here.
Social media generation. The desire to be seen on a screen. The end.

My 16 year old is an avid college football fan (though he hates the hometown MN sports, long story, don't ask).  He wants to go as it is is town this weekend.  But, combing the crowd, with the weather, with the parking, I can't imagine any possibly way worse to spend a weekend.  My step daughter went earlier this year and the picture she paints isn't great.  You can't actually hear the broadcast.  Unless you are lined up in the middle of the night (maybe earlier) you have no shot of being by the stage.  Even then, you can't hear the broadcast so all you are doing is hoping for a 5 second shot of being on TV.

I went to one several years ago in Columbia when Georgia came to town.  We didn't get there too early, but worked our way up fairly close. No, not too near the stage, but close enough we could see the people.  There were a couple of big video boards to the side of the stage, so we could see and hear everything.  The overhead camera came by a couple of times.  Spent most of the time chatting with people in the crowd.  I would go again if one of my kids wanted to, but not sure how much bad weather I wold brave to do it.

I went to one several years ago in Columbia when Georgia came to town.  We didn't get there too early, but worked our way up fairly close. No, not too near the stage, but close enough we could see the people.  There were a couple of big video boards to the side of the stage, so we could see and hear everything.  The overhead camera came by a couple of times.  Spent most of the time chatting with people in the crowd.  I would go again if one of my kids wanted to, but not sure how much bad weather I wold brave to do it.
This sounds fun if I was young, it was good weather, and I would be drinking to have a good time.  The current forecast is low 30s, freezing rain/snow mix.  So, we'd have to be bundled up for the weather, standing around in uncomfortable boots to keep the feet warm.  I cannot emphasize how little I care about getting on TV, or standing around with a sign in the first place.

I'm going to hope my wife will take him without me so he can experience it for himself.  But I know I'll get the guilt trip.

Done it once. Get there super early, hang out in a huge crowd, see a bunch of signs. It’s ok just for the spectacle of it, but it’s not exactly fun. More just something to say you did. 

On the flip side, I went to a Thursday night game where they did pregame stuff before. Got Corso to sign my “Not so fast my friend” sign (I made the “o”s tiger paws. that was ok.  

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are the kid's coach, what's the play? Kid just cost his entire TEAM at chance at a win. Can't let the behavior go can you?
Honest question: what can the coach do in today’s culture? Do coaches still make players run the bleachers or sprints for punishment? 

Thought that was vs Mizzou

UCF 81, USF 6

ETA: my original score prediction may have been grossly exaggerated.  :X

What’s the background?
Mike Leach was asked about losing his 7th straight Apple Cup, said that recruiting has to do with it, then was asked if he wasn't supposed to beat teams with bigger recruiting classes by Jon Blanchette, and then went off. Called him a sanctimonious troll.

Mike Leach was asked about losing his 7th straight Apple Cup, said that recruiting has to do with it, then was asked if he wasn't supposed to beat teams with bigger recruiting classes by Jon Blanchette, and then went off. Called him a sanctimonious troll.
If only there was something a head coach could do about inferior recruiting...

If only there was something a head coach could do about inferior recruiting...
Not when they live in Pullman, WA....

I think Leach is done at WSU.  I expect he'll be named the HC of Arkansas very soon.  Guy did about as well as you can out there.  I don't think people really understand how remote, desolate and hard to get to Pullman is.  It's astonishing they did as well as they did under him.  

@ESPNRittenberg: SOURCES: Missouri has fired coach Barry Odom after four seasons. http://PowerMizzou.com first reported the news. Athletic director Jim Sterk informed the coaching staff this morning. Odom finishes 25-25. The Tigers completed their season Friday at 6-6. https://es.pn/2OXTCsK

Not sure who they can get to replace him. That's a worse job than Arkansas,  right?

@ESPNRittenberg: SOURCES: Missouri has fired coach Barry Odom after four seasons. http://PowerMizzou.com first reported the news. Athletic director Jim Sterk informed the coaching staff this morning. Odom finishes 25-25. The Tigers completed their season Friday at 6-6. https://es.pn/2OXTCsK

Not sure who they can get to replace him. That's a worse job than Arkansas,  right?
No, it’s in the East. You can win that division once every 8-10 years. I doubt Arkansas wins their division in any of our lifetimes again. 

Gameday-  Terrell Pryor in critical condition after being stabbed in Pittsburgh area..    a woman is in custody..   oof

Not when they live in Pullman, WA....

I think Leach is done at WSU.  I expect he'll be named the HC of Arkansas very soon.  Guy did about as well as you can out there.  I don't think people really understand how remote, desolate and hard to get to Pullman is.  It's astonishing they did as well as they did under him.  
Given the choice I'd choose Mizzou over Arkansas.  Arkansas can't recruit but so well and they have to play Alabama, LSU, Auburn, and A&M every year.  At Mizzou you have a fighting chance to occassionally beat Florida and Georgia.

Given the choice I'd choose Mizzou over Arkansas.  Arkansas can't recruit but so well and they have to play Alabama, LSU, Auburn, and A&M every year.  At Mizzou you have a fighting chance to occassionally beat Florida and Georgia.
Arkansas used to recruit Texas very well, but those days are gone.  The bloated beast that coached before Chad Morris made a horrible decision to focus on Florida and neglect Texas.  I think Arkansas will bet on Leach being able to open those Texas roads back up.  He is a GOD among HS coaches in the Lone Star state.  

If Mizzou wants him, they'll need to break the bank and that's not a school that does that. 

You know they’re bad when they lose to Wyoming. 

@KyleRowland: Michigan's six-point lead is OSU's largest deficit of the season. Previous high was when Buckeyes trailed Miami (Ohio) 5-0. Ohio State answered with 76 consecutive points.

Let’s not forget this Mizzou was in SEC Championship Game once. 
Hard to believe it was only 5 years ago. Seems much longer than that.

ETA - for reference that was Muschamp last year in Gainesville and while Bama won the West, the 2 Mississippi teams finished 2nd and 3rd in that division 

Users who are viewing this thread