Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Tom Servo

2019 College football thread - LSU fans call Coach O Moses because he took them to the Promised Land!!!

18 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

Harder is so subjective - I’d much rather spend extra hours working (game planning) than sucking up and networking (recruiting).  IMO, you can’t categorically state it’s harder if you don’t say what is harder.  Harder to win, harder on your family life, harder to stay employed?  

Extremely harder to win on game days and to also to stay employed. How many nfl coaches have ever had a Bowden/Bear/Bo/Woody length of employment? Or Saban-length now. The guy at Iowa has been there 20 years for going 7-5 every season. Try that in the nfl if you aren’t coaching the bengals. 

I’m sure both are very stressful on family life but most of these guys on both levels seem like sociopaths that don’t care about that. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Capella said:

Extremely harder to win on game days and to also to stay employed. How many nfl coaches have ever had a Bowden/Bear/Bo/Woody length of employment? Or Saban-length now. The guy at Iowa has been there 20 years for going 7-5 every season. Try that in the nfl if you aren’t coaching the bengals. 

I’m sure both are very stressful on family life but most of these guys on both levels seem like sociopaths that don’t care about that. 

Completely agree with the harder to win argument

2 hours ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

College gameday  is at the HUGE rivalry matchup of North Dakota State and South Dakota State.  I am sure that all 26 fans will be so happy. 

LSU/AUBURN?    tOSU/Wisconsin?    

You can throw out the records when the Dakota Marker is on the line.

Today marks the 110th meeting between the two. Just because it’s not your beloved OU blowing out K-State is no reason to turn your nose up at it  

#RaiseTheRock 

Edited by Tom Servo

Herman to NFL is actually gaining steam or is this just fan bull####. 

45 minutes ago, Capella said:

Jumping on that OSU covercraft again today 

Punting contest so far.  With the weather the under might have been the play.

-Captain Hindsight.

I'll weigh in on the "harder" debate with my experience with coaches who had coached at both levels.  Specifically one guy who was a QB coach/OC in the Big 12, ACC, and several mid-majors + WR coach in the NFL for a few years, and another who was a mid-major OL/TE coach + position-less offensive assistant in the NFL.  

They both were pretty adamant that they considered the NFL to be the cushier job.  I'm not sure they ever really said that it's an "easier" job, because the hours are the hours and the stress is the stress, but what they would really harp on is how much extracurricular work you need to do at the college level.  Not just recruiting, which is a ##### but was more of an offseason role for both of these guys (they were not our recruiting coordinators or anything like that), but the other stuff.  

When you're coaching in the NFL, your job is football gameplanning.  You go to work, you gameplan, you watch film, you have meetings, you have practice, you go home.  The players on your team already know how to know how to play their positions.  They're adults.  There are veterans on the team who keep the younger players in line.  You don't need to babysit your players - they are grown men, professionals.

When you're coaching in college, you have a drastically different role.  Many of your players are very raw for their position.  You need to focus less on gameplanning against your specific opponent and more on fundamentals, actual on-field coaching.  But more than that, you essentially become a surrogate father-figure for your players.  The veterans on your team are like 21 years old and aren't much more emotionally mature than your 18 year old freshmen.  Many players come from questionable home situations, and it's their first time away from home.  You, their position coach, are responsible for making sure he's going to class.  For making sure his homework is getting done.  That he's not out partying every night.  That he's eating right and taking care of himself.  That he's not depressed or having emotional problems being 2000 miles from home.  You essentially become a surrogate father to the ~10 players in your position group for 4 years.  You are the role model.  Oh, but you guys went 3-9 last year because you had to deal with all this other off the field ####?  Sorry, you're fired.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Steve Tasker said:

I'll weigh in on the "harder" debate with my experience with coaches who had coached at both levels.  Specifically one guy who was a QB coach/OC in the Big 12, ACC, and several mid-majors + WR coach in the NFL for a few years, and another who was a mid-major OL/TE coach + position-less offensive assistant in the NFL.  

They both were pretty adamant that they considered the NFL to be the cushier job.  I'm not sure they ever really said that it's an "easier" job, because the hours are the hours and the stress is the stress, but what they would really harp on is how much extracurricular work you need to do at the college level.  Not just recruiting, which is a ##### but was more of an offseason role for both of these guys (they were not our recruiting coordinators or anything like that), but the other stuff.  

I believe the college position coach job is tougher than the NFL position coach job.  The college position coach is the road warrior and scout for recruiting with the HC coming in to close the deal often times.  Plus all the immaturity/baby sitting stuff you mentioned.

Not sure if anyone is talking about position coaches though.  I don't think Lincoln Riley would be heading to the NFL to be an OC or coach QBs.  :shrug: 

Cap brought up Ferentz at Iowa.  Completely depends on expectations and history.  Iowa might be content with 4-loss seasons with a couple better seasons sprinkled in, but that is not going to fly at Alabama.  :shrug: 

It’s amazing Georgia let Justin Fields get away for that poor man’s Andy Dalton 

• Like 1

I thought I read Oklahoma's defense was supposed to be good this year. K State carving them up.

Just now, Capella said:

Oh man I really want to take a nap but OU is on the ropes. 

K-State just recovered a fumble kickoff too :popcorn:

1 minute ago, Steve Tasker said:

K-State just recovered a fumble kickoff too :popcorn:

I don’t know how long I can fight this off 

Golden Gophers loving what OSU is doing to the Badgers.

40 minutes ago, DallasDMac said:

Looks like OSU forgot there is two halves to a game. Came out of the locker room totally sleepwalking.

It’s the Big 12. Think relatively. 

Lots of time left - Lincoln Riley is going to have to earn every penny of that contract now

25 minutes ago, Steve Tasker said:

Thanks for playing, Badgers.

I called the fraud alert line, they're on the case.

• Laughing 1

Very impressed with K State today, been the much better team. Hurts isn’t the type to lead a comeback when they know he’s throwing 

19 minutes ago, Capella said:

Oh man I really want to take a nap but OU is on the ropes. 

I think you’re good, they are past being on the ropes and just trying to keep it respectable 

2 hours ago, WDIK2 said:
2 hours ago, Capella said:

Jumping on that OSU covercraft again today 

Punting contest so far.  With the weather the under might have been the play.

-Captain Hindsight.

And this is why I no longer gamble.

Blowing open massive holes in this OU defense 

Not sure this is a hole they can climb out of now

16 minutes ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

OU it was a good run. 

This is what you get for cracking on the South Dakota State - North Dakota State rivalry. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, ffldrew said:

Lots of time left - Lincoln Riley is going to have to earn every penny of that contract now

13 minutes to more than double their point total?

If Jalen stayed at Alabama he is starting on an undefeated team leading them to a possible Championship. 

• Thinking 1

Pitt-Miami slugging it out in the rain. 12-10 sPitt with 4 minutes left. 

Did anyone actually think Bucky could pull off the upset today?

I have a friend who’s son plays for K-State so I am very happy they are handling OU today. 

3 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Taylor was outgained by two OSU running backs today. 

• Love 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

If Jalen stayed at Alabama he is starting on an undefeated team leading them to a possible Championship. 

Did you forget about Tua? I don’t think he made the move to win, he wanted to improve as a passer so he has a shot at the next level. 

Lovie has now has Illinois at 4-4. Remaining schedule:

v Rutgers

at MSU

at Iowa

v NW

Illinois is going bowling!

2 hours ago, Tom Servo said:

You can throw out the records when the Dakota Marker is on the line.

Today marks the 110th meeting between the two. Just because it’s not your beloved OU blowing out K-State is no reason to turn your nose up at it  

#RaiseTheRock 

Wait... what's this now?

7 minutes ago, Moe. said:

Did you forget about Tua? I don’t think he made the move to win, he wanted to improve as a passer so he has a shot at the next level. 

Tua is not playing atm.  He is hurt.  Had surgery to his ankle. 

12 minutes ago, Tom Servo said:

Pitt-Miami slugging it out in the rain. 12-10 sPitt with 4 minutes left. 

Pitt gonna Pitt. Now trailing 16-12 in the last minute of the game. 

1 minute ago, Politician Spock said:

Wait... what's this now?

It wasn’t necessarily a prediction. I was cracking Shiz for cracking on today’s GameDay location. 

1 minute ago, Tom Servo said:

It wasn’t necessarily a prediction. I was cracking Shiz for cracking on today’s GameDay location. 

I know.... I just found it a good opportunity to dig at shiz given what is currently unfolding. 

4 minutes ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

Tua is not playing atm.  He is hurt.  Had surgery to his ankle. 

So Jalen plays a game or two then back to the bench. Not exactly leading them to a championship. This was about the NFL 

Terrible play call by KSU. Run it and make them call TO

18 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

I don't think so...despite what some think, Wisconsin is essentially "stop Taylor and win".  He's the best back in the country, but when he has to go against 8 in the box that are just as fast as he is, it becomes a problem.