What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 College football thread - It's 2020, yo. Go to the new thread. (7 Viewers)

Former Clemson RB, Tavien Feaster, transferring to instate rival South Carolina.  Says he wanted a larger role in the backfield.  Little surprised he picked them over V Tech, but he said he wanted to stay closer to home. 

Local talk sports radio in Columbia recently had a sports writer from Garnet & Black magazine (or some similar local sports rag) come on and talk about Feaster potentially joining the Gamecocks.  He said he wasn't even sure Feaster would crack the RB rotation, let alone start.  This was several weeks ago I heard while in the car.  I laughed. Caller comments were mixed on that comment. I imagine Muschamp is higher on Feaster or else he probably would have picked V Tech.  

As a Tiger fan, I always liked when Feaster was in the game.  Didn't think it was a big drop off from Etienne when he came out.  Hated to see Feaster go.  

Former Clemson RB, Tavien Feaster, transferring to instate rival South Carolina.  Says he wanted a larger role in the backfield.  Little surprised he picked them over V Tech, but he said he wanted to stay closer to home. 

Local talk sports radio in Columbia recently had a sports writer from Garnet & Black magazine (or some similar local sports rag) come on and talk about Feaster potentially joining the Gamecocks.  He said he wasn't even sure Feaster would crack the RB rotation, let alone start.  This was several weeks ago I heard while in the car.  I laughed. Caller comments were mixed on that comment. I imagine Muschamp is higher on Feaster or else he probably would have picked V Tech.  

As a Tiger fan, I always liked when Feaster was in the game.  Didn't think it was a big drop off from Etienne when he came out.  Hated to see Feaster go.  
Feaster is easily the most talented back on the roster. Now the bigger question to me is how soon will he be able to contribute. He can't be in Columbia until August 5th. Coming from a pretty complex system I'm hopeful he can be ready week 1 VS the Tarheel. 

From my understanding he is a great receiving back and at protecting the QB. With his ability to take it to the house on any play he will eventually be the starter. He may be able to contribute on special teams as well. 

Feaster is easily the most talented back on the roster. Now the bigger question to me is how soon will he be able to contribute. He can't be in Columbia until August 5th. Coming from a pretty complex system I'm hopeful he can be ready week 1 VS the Tarheel. 

From my understanding he is a great receiving back and at protecting the QB. With his ability to take it to the house on any play he will eventually be the starter. He may be able to contribute on special teams as well. 
All this is true.  He took a few to the house from over mid field with some of them being on big stages.  Dangerous in the open flat as well.  I'm sure he'll be a great addition to the Gamecock offense and special teams if they play him there as well.  

Obviously the most talented back on the roster now.  Rico Dowdle is good but never stays healthy.

He's a homerun hitter but he's not in the same ballpark as Etienne, IMO.   That Dixon dude looks closer to Etienne than Feaster in terms of power and explosion.  Feaster's a good back though I remember hitting that 90 yarder at NC State in 2017.

He's a homerun hitter but he's not in the same ballpark as Etienne, IMO.   That Dixon dude looks closer to Etienne than Feaster in terms of power and explosion.  Feaster's a good back though I remember hitting that 90 yarder at NC State in 2017.
I really like Dixon.  Talk about a HR hitter, wait til he gets more touches now that Feaster's gone. He doesn't bounce off tacklers like Etienne does, though.  Thinner frame but very fast. 

Obviously the most talented back on the roster now.  Rico Dowdle is good but never stays healthy.
I'm just kind of "Meh" on Dowdle at this point. He's far too inconsistent  for me but that could be due to all of the injuries as you mentioned. He seems to drop some easy balls with space at the most inopportune times. He seems to fumble too much for my taste as well. I am excited to see the freshman, Kevin Harris, get some touches. He's drawn comparisons to Jerome Bettis and has been nicknamed "The Little Bus". 

Hopefully with the addition of Feaster some of these other guys will be motivated to work harder and step up their game. I'm pretty sure Feaster will come in plenty motivated with something to prove.

I'm just kind of "Meh" on Dowdle at this point. He's far too inconsistent  for me but that could be due to all of the injuries as you mentioned. He seems to drop some easy balls with space at the most inopportune times. He seems to fumble too much for my taste as well. I am excited to see the freshman, Kevin Harris, get some touches. He's drawn comparisons to Jerome Bettis and has been nicknamed "The Little Bus". 

Hopefully with the addition of Feaster some of these other guys will be motivated to work harder and step up their game. I'm pretty sure Feaster will come in plenty motivated with something to prove.
A coherent, productive offense has eluded Muschamp for so many years as a HC though. At least Feaster brings a marker of talent we won't see without Tank Bigsby.  Seems like a coaching problem though

Last edited by a moderator:
After about 4 there are probably 8 to 12 teams you can put in any order.  After that it's a total crapshoot. 

(Preseason Top25 is dumb.)

@Brett_McMurphy: Coaches preseason poll:

1 Clemson
2 Bama
3 UGA
4 OU
5 Ohio St
6 LSU
7 Florida
8 Michigan
9 Notre Dame
10 Texas
11 Texas A&M
12 Washington
13 Oregon
14 Penn St
15 Utah
16 Auburn
17 Wisconsin
Tie UCF
19 Iowa
20 Mich St
21 Wash St
22 Syracuse
23 Stanford
24 Iowa St
25 Northwestern

Mandel's overrated/underrated preseason top 25 coaches poll

Overrated

No. 5 Ohio State. I’d be willing to say Ohio State remains one of the five most talented teams in the country. But anointing the Buckeyes as one of the five best teams in the country requires putting a whole lot of faith in a quarterback, Justin Fields, who for all his recruiting hype, got little more than situational reps as a freshman for Georgia and looked very much like a work in progress this spring.

No. 7 Michigan. I don’t know what else to say at this point. The Wolverines weren’t competitive against the three Top 10 teams they faced last season, losing to Ohio State and Florida by a combined score of 103-54. Jim Harbaugh is 1-9 against Top 10 teams at Michigan. But sure, absolutely, go ahead and rank the Wolverines seventh in the country. What could go wrong?

No. 8 Florida. Getting a little ahead of ourselves, are we? Dan Mullen did win 10 games in his first season, and his QB magic showed yet again in his miracle work with Feleipe Franks. But Florida as a program is not yet back in automatic reload mode, and a depleted offensive line with just 22 career starts could get in the way of producing another Top 10 season.

No. 11 Texas A&M. I’ll assume this is a sign of the vast respect Jimbo Fisher’s colleagues have for him. But his colleagues don’t have to face the preason No. 1 (Clemson), No. 2 (Alabama), No. 3 (Georgia) and No. 6 (LSU) teams. Not to mention there are still legit questions about QB Kellen Mond’s consistency, and the defense is replacing its top six tacklers from a year ago.

No. 17 UCF. Damn you, coaches, for making me have to include UCF. I’ve already garnered enough ire from Knights fans this week for criticizing their AD. But UCF is going to be without not only star QB McKenzie Milton, but his replacement from last season, Darriel Mack, who recently broke his ankle. And we know Notre Dame grad transfer Brandon Wimbush has his limitations.

Underrated

No. 14 Penn State. If my hunches about Ohio State and Michigan prove correct, then someone else in the Big Ten East will have to rise up. Everyone seems to be sleeping on the Nittany Lions after last year’s wholly expected 9-4 rebuilding season. But James Franklin’s defense, led by stars Micah Parsons and Yetur Gross-Matos, has the potential to rank among the very best in the country.

No. 22 Syracuse. Write off Dino Babers at your own peril, coaches. I believe the Orange will only build on last year’s 10-win breakthrough season. Yes, QB Eric Dungey is gone, but successor Tommy DeVito has already notched considerable experience. Also, have you seen the rest of the ACC outside of Clemson? Somebody’s got to win more than eight games. It’s just math.

No. 24 Iowa State. The Cyclones seem to be garnering more respect within the Big 12 than they are nationally. Matt Campbell has raised the bar in Ames, to the point that 8-4 will be considered a disappointment. Sophomore QB Brock Purdy was the nation’s sixth-rated passer last season, and the Big 12’s second-rated defense a year ago returns most of its key players.

NR Fresno State. Man, what does Jeff Tedford have to do to earn a little respect around here? The Bulldogs won a combined 22 games the past two seasons. They beat both UCLA and Arizona State (in the Vegas Bowl) by double-digits last year. Admittedly, Fresno State has a big question at quarterback, but the Bulldogs didn’t just miss the Top 25, they came in 36th in the voting. Ouch.

NR Cincinnati. And the Bearcats were even farther out, at 38th, despite winning 11 games and finishing 23rd last season. And this one is truly baffling. Cincy was actually a young team last season that started a freshman QB, Desmond Ridder. He’s back, as are star RB Michael Warren II and seven starters from the nation’s No. 13 scoring defense.

Last August someone touting 32-1 record on XBox sent an email to Ohio State to express interest in replacing Urban Meyer, noting "I am sure that the previous coach will be terminated unless your staff is made up of lizard people."

best sport

General Malaise said:
Mandel's overrated/underrated preseason top 25 coaches poll

Overrated

No. 5 Ohio State. I’d be willing to say Ohio State remains one of the five most talented teams in the country. But anointing the Buckeyes as one of the five best teams in the country requires putting a whole lot of faith in a quarterback, Justin Fields, who for all his recruiting hype, got little more than situational reps as a freshman for Georgia and looked very much like a work in progress this spring.

No. 7 Michigan. I don’t know what else to say at this point. The Wolverines weren’t competitive against the three Top 10 teams they faced last season, losing to Ohio State and Florida by a combined score of 103-54. Jim Harbaugh is 1-9 against Top 10 teams at Michigan. But sure, absolutely, go ahead and rank the Wolverines seventh in the country. What could go wrong?

No. 8 Florida. Getting a little ahead of ourselves, are we? Dan Mullen did win 10 games in his first season, and his QB magic showed yet again in his miracle work with Feleipe Franks. But Florida as a program is not yet back in automatic reload mode, and a depleted offensive line with just 22 career starts could get in the way of producing another Top 10 season.

No. 11 Texas A&M. I’ll assume this is a sign of the vast respect Jimbo Fisher’s colleagues have for him. But his colleagues don’t have to face the preason No. 1 (Clemson), No. 2 (Alabama), No. 3 (Georgia) and No. 6 (LSU) teams. Not to mention there are still legit questions about QB Kellen Mond’s consistency, and the defense is replacing its top six tacklers from a year ago.

No. 17 UCF. Damn you, coaches, for making me have to include UCF. I’ve already garnered enough ire from Knights fans this week for criticizing their AD. But UCF is going to be without not only star QB McKenzie Milton, but his replacement from last season, Darriel Mack, who recently broke his ankle. And we know Notre Dame grad transfer Brandon Wimbush has his 
These preseason rankings are :bs:  It’s nothing more than name recognition and who is friends with whom, just like freaking high school. 

I’d put my Nittany Lions or USF in the top 10 before Michigan. 

These preseason rankings are :bs:  It’s nothing more than name recognition and who is friends with whom, just like freaking high school. 

I’d put my Nittany Lions or USF in the top 10 before Michigan. 
Preseason AP Top 25 teams from last season:

4. Wisconsin
8. Miami
9. Auburn
11. Michigan State
13. Stanford
15. USC
16. TCU
18. Mississippi State
19. Florida State
20. Virginia Tech
24. Oregon

All finished unranked.

Ahh I love the annual “preseason rankings suck” rants from teams who feel under appreciated, even though everyone already agrees preseason rankings are stupid. I don’t ever remember someone in November touting their preseason #12 ranking.

Ahh I love the annual “preseason rankings suck” rants from teams who feel under appreciated, even though everyone already agrees preseason rankings are stupid. I don’t ever remember someone in November touting their preseason #12 ranking.
What? If anything OU is too high. They may end up in the playoff again. But with the questions on the OL there's no way they should be ranked #4 going into the season.

Guys if you don’t like it don’t read it. What else are you gonna pay attention to right now, baseball?

Here's SI's Preseason Top 25:

1. Alabama

2. Clemson

3. Georgia

4. Oklahoma

5. Texas

6. Ohio State

7. Notre Dame

8. LSU

9. Oregon

10. Florida

11. Michigan

12. Washington

13. Texas A&M

14. Utah

15. UCF

16. Penn State

17. Auburn

18. Iowa

19. Wisconsin

20. Mississippi State

21. Michigan State

22. Virginia Tech

23. Iowa State

24. Nebraska

25. Stanford

Auburn 2020 schedule goes to move the Georgia game to October and get away from finishing season UGA/Cupcake/BAMA - so new schedule comes out and its Cupcake/LSU/Bama. Not sure that "improves" anything - it might be worse playing LSU week before Iron Bowl instead of cupcake.  Still playing GA away and Bama away. I thought they were working to flip that so it would be split on location.

We've figured out the solution to Clemson's success.  They used confetti during recruiting visits.  No lie, they self reported this violation.  God bless NCAA rules.

We've figured out the solution to Clemson's success.  They used confetti during recruiting visits.  No lie, they self reported this violation.  God bless NCAA rules.
T. Lawrence said the confetti shower is what tipped the scales to Clemson during his family visit.  Said he'd wanted one of those since the 5th grade. 

Users who are viewing this thread