Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Tom Servo

2019 College football thread - On Controversy! On Outrage! On Hot Takes! On Overrated! On Underrated! On SEC Honks! HO HO HO!!!

15 minutes ago, Jayrok said:

:moneybag: :moneybag::moneybag::moneybag::moneybag:

Garrett is only making $6MM/yr. Riley makes the same.

1 minute ago, Christo said:

He'd offer Riley more if he feels he's the guy.  Riley may also think about the challenge with the recent success of offensive (especially QB) coaches now in the NFL. He may not take the job this off season or next.  Maybe if he wins a title at OU.  But I think he'll certainly be tempted by Jones.  

9 minutes ago, Christo said:

Jerry Jones can pay Riley literally any amount he wants. It would be miles more than 6M

Of course Jones can. But will he? He doesn't have a history of breaking the bank. And that's exactly what it would take given Riley would have to be pried away from unfinished business if OU doesn't win the NC this year.

IF OU does win the NC and Jerry hits him with a Chucky-type contract, I could see it happening.

30 minutes ago, Christo said:

Of course Jones can. But will he? He doesn't have a history of breaking the bank. And that's exactly what it would take given Riley would have to be pried away from unfinished business if OU doesn't win the NC this year.

I have no idea at all. I’m just saying I don’t see it as a long-shot. I don’t think there is much OU could do if Lincoln wanted the job. 

I mean I love college football more than the next guy. But OU is playing West Virginia this weekend (and that’s like one of their 6-7 hardest games) and the Cowboys are playing the eagles on Sunday night. If you’re a hot shot coach which is more enticing? Easy decision. 

On 10/16/2019 at 3:02 PM, General Malaise said:

Honestly never heard of him until today. :shrug:

This is amazing to me.  I thought you followed Oregon football much closer.  Pittman is a true freshman receiver who was getting huge praise in spring and fall camp catching everything thrown to him.  He made several key 3rd down catches the past few weeks and quite frankly should be starting.  It is just a matter of time.

18 hours ago, Tom Servo said:

Today is the 4 year anniversary of Michigan botching a punt snap to let Sparty win.  Surrender cobras for everyone in Ann Arbor!!!

I remember watching the game and what I always remember is when they scanned the crowd for reactions.  There were two guys, one on his 30s or 40s and one in 60s or 70s....maybe father and son.  They were wearing MSU jackets and hats in a sea of blue and yellow.  Neither was cheering and the older gentleman looked at the younger gentleman and you could clearly read his lips saying, "Let's go." and they immediately started heading for the aisle.

In that brief second you could just sense their thought process: Great.  We won.  We'll celebrate on the way home.  But right now, let's get the hell out of here.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

On 10/16/2019 at 9:23 AM, psychobillies said:

I thought we worked it out with Joe so that we could be unexcellent to each other in this thread.    

Definitely not. This thread is same as other threads.

Please be excellent to each other. 

43 minutes ago, ClownCausedChaos2 said:

I remember watching the game and what I always remember is when they scanned the crowd for reactions.  There were two guys, one on his 30s or 40s and one in 60s or 70s....maybe father and son.  They were wearing MSU jackets and hats in a sea of blue and yellow.  Neither was cheering and the older gentleman looked at the younger gentleman and you could clearly read his lips saying, "Let's go." and they immediately started heading for the aisle.

In that brief second you could just sense their thought process: Great.  We won.  We'll celebrate on the way home.  But right now, let's get the hell out of here.

What were they worried about? As somebody who has now been to the big house multiple times, it’s not uhhh...hostile. 

I had a joke here to add but I guess we can’t do that. 

Edited by Premier

4 minutes ago, Premier said:

What were they worried about? As somebody who has now been to the big house multiple times, it’s not uhhh...hostile. 

I had a joke here to add but I guess we can’t do that. 

Beats me.  Guess they didn't want to take a chance.

On 10/17/2019 at 7:32 AM, Premier said:

I mean Nick Saban left a dynamite job at LSU to go coach the freaking Miami Dolphins. 

Socially, Saban was the King of Baton Rouge at the time of his departure, with aftereffects that even lasted several years into Les Miles' tenure.

While fervent Tiger fans hadn't forgiven him ... circa 2008-09, you'd still run into references to Saban all throughout Baton Rouge: the condo he rented, the place he bought insurance, the places his wife got her hair done and went shopping, the restaurants where they liked to eat, etc. Anything they had touched in Baton Rouge had a little extra cachet and people loved dropping the Saban name.

And it wasn't like Saban was Bobby Bowden or JoePa and coached LSU for 30+ years -- that imprint was developed in maybe three years, for sure by the end of the title season.

11 hours ago, Premier said:

Jerry Jones can pay Riley literally any amount he wants. It would be miles more than 6M

For comparison's sake, Sean Payton just signed an extension for $13 million/year.

3 minutes ago, Doug B said:

For comparison's sake, Sean Payton just signed an extension for $13 million/year.

Is that true? Holy cow. 

I hope Lincoln Riley goes to the Cowboys and OU gives Gary Gibbs or John Blake another shot.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Premier said:
37 minutes ago, Doug B said:

Is that true? Holy cow. 

Yeah ... it really didn't make much a dent in the national sports news cycle for some reason. Happened about a month ago.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ClownCausedChaos2 said:

State beating UM had become pretty routine by that time (6 wins outta 7), so you’re right, they just figured, Great we won. :yawn: :shrug:

:P ;)

Edited by BroncoFreak_2K3

4 hours ago, Don't Noonan said:

This is amazing to me.  I thought you followed Oregon football much closer.  Pittman is a true freshman receiver who was getting huge praise in spring and fall camp catching everything thrown to him.  He made several key 3rd down catches the past few weeks and quite frankly should be starting.  It is just a matter of time.

Hey man, recruiting just isn't my thing.  I know a guy who claims he's never heard of the Allman Brothers before, so there are people in this world that live under rocks.  

• Like 3
  • Laughing 3

13 hours ago, General Malaise said:

@timschochet UCLA wins!!!!   Chip Kelly figuring it out?

UCLA beats Stanford, loses to Oregon State.

Stanford beats Washington, loses to UCLA.

The Pac-12 is wild ... just imagine if anyone could actually see the games?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Dickie Dunn said:

To be fair, Stanford was playing a 3rd string QB.

30 minutes ago, Dickie Dunn said:

Unfortunately, I can.  And sometimes do.  

Huge game for the Ducks and their top target, Marvin Pittman on Saturday.  Little bummed it's 12:30 kick as I'll be patrolling the sideline of the U8 Milltown Rapinoes.  Praying for a rainout.  

• Love 1
  • Laughing 1

51 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

Hey man, recruiting just isn't my thing.  I know a guy who claims he's never heard of the Allman Brothers before, so there are people in this world that live under rocks.  

Music is definately not my thing for sure.  I am not ashamed at all to admit that.  

I think Pittman makes a statement tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

Unfortunately, I can.  And sometimes do.  

Huge game for the Ducks and their top target, Marvin Pittman on Saturday.  Little bummed it's 12:30 kick as I'll be patrolling the sideline of the U8 Milltown Rapinoes.  Praying for a rainout.  

Michael Pittman.  :lol:  His bro is a stud starting WR for USC.

18 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

Little bummed it's 12:30 kick as I'll be patrolling the sideline of the U8 Milltown Rapinoes.  Praying for a rainout.  

Rainouts in soccer?  No wonder America's kids are SAWFT.

1 hour ago, General Malaise said:

Yep, I will check out the classes after signing day. But it would just be too exhausting following the recruiting cycle. Now throw in the transfer portal and all I want is for it to be gameday. 

Edited by Christo

35 minutes ago, Tom Servo said:

I was mostly kidding.  Only get rained out if there's lightning (very rare for Pac NW) or the fields are just drenched and playing on them will destroy them.  Otherwise, it's game on, rain or shine in Oregon.

Though a bolt of lightning tomorrow wouldn't bother me.  HUGE game for our Oregon Pittmans.

• Like 2

On 10/15/2019 at 8:17 PM, Capella said:

They have an unhealthy obsession with college football due to there being nothing else of substance in their state and also due to the fact that the state has the worst public education system this side of Mississippi. 

Also they are backwards hicks cc: @jplvr

On 10/15/2019 at 8:41 PM, FBG Moderator said:

Don't

@Joe Bryant

look, I get it, we all want a more tolerant and kind world and we want this board’s interactions to reflect that.  But trash talk is inherent to college football and genuinely all in good fun.  I know that we went through this once before with titles in this thread and, in your great and unmatched wisdom, you determined that some provocative titles were ok.  And I think that all of the posters in this thread are onboard with the basic tenets of rivalry and #### talking.  So I ask that there be a little leeway here. 

I would be happy to be the personal moderator of this thread and monitor when anything gets truly out of line.  I am expert.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1

11 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

I am expert.

Good try bot.  You had me until the end.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2
  • Thinking 1

2 hours ago, Premier said:

OSU is a wonderfully amazing cover team this year. GB them. 

Apparently it hasn’t sunk in for some that this isn’t Urban Meyer’s team anymore and they WILL run up the score on teams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Long Ball Larry said:

@Joe Bryant

look, I get it, we all want a more tolerant and kind world and we want this board’s interactions to reflect that.  But trash talk is inherent to college football and genuinely all in good fun.  I know that we went through this once before with titles in this thread and, in your great and unmatched wisdom, you determined that some provocative titles were ok.  And I think that all of the posters in this thread are onboard with the basic tenets of rivalry and #### talking.  So I ask that there be a little leeway here. 

I would be happy to be the personal moderator of this thread and monitor when anything gets truly out of line.  I am expert.

I post once every 10 pages or so but I second this emotion

Smokey is the best thing to come out of Michigan since.....Oops, sorry is that allowed?

11 minutes ago, Tin Cup said:

It pains me to say this, but tOSU is looking very, very good.

OSU/LSU for the championship.  Said it two weeks ago, believe it fervently today too.

6 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

OSU/LSU for the championship.  Said it two weeks ago, believe it fervently today too.

Can you bet that matchup? 

8 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

@Joe Bryant

:lmao: Sorry but no. 

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Tom Servo said:

In our local league its less about kid safety and more about preservation of the fields. They don't want their grass ruined for the rest of the year.

18 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

Another INT for Lawrence.  That one was bad. 

Not to sound like Bill Simmons but are we sure Clemson is good? It’s not 2018 anymore, seems like they are getting their rep based off that team. 

3 minutes ago, Capella said:

Not to sound like Bill Simmons but are we sure Clemson is good? It’s not 2018 anymore, seems like they are getting their rep based off that team. 

Hard to tell when they don't play another team that's any good.  :shrug:

Just now, General Malaise said:

Hard to tell when they don't play another team that's any good.  :shrug:

S Carolina seems...feisty? They beat Georgia I guess they could maybe give Clemson a game? That’s about it though. 

13 minutes ago, Capella said:

S Carolina seems...feisty? They beat Georgia I guess they could maybe give Clemson a game? That’s about it though. 

That's true.  They are battling Florida hard.  Sorta sweating this Florida -4.5 ticket. :oldunsure:

24 minutes ago, Capella said:

Good but certainly not great.  I have no idea what has happened to their offense.  I expected the D to be a little worse without all those DL but that side of the ball is playing great.