What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 College football thread - It's 2020, yo. Go to the new thread. (1 Viewer)

Way I see it....

Clemson is in.  They won't lose.  That's 1.

Winner of Bama/LSU plays the SEC championship game.  Probably vs Florida or Georgia.  Winner goes. 

Ohio State wins the Big10, they go.  

Oregon wins the Pac12, they go.  

GM for YouTube FFA sports.

Way I see it....

Clemson is in.  They won't lose.  That's 1.

Winner of Bama/LSU plays the SEC championship game.  Probably vs Florida or Georgia.  Winner goes. 

Ohio State wins the Big10, they go.  

Oregon wins the Pac12, they go.  

GM for YouTube FFA sports.
If the only loss Bama/LSU has is to one another I think they get in over Oregon. Please don’t unfriend me. 

edit: maybe not Bama. Their schedule super sucks. LSU for sure though. 

edit: also probably Bama but that would blow. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If the only loss Bama/LSU has is to one another I think they get in over Oregon. Please don’t unfriend me. 

In addition, if the only loss OSU/PSU has is to one another, I think the committee would put Oregon behind them too. But the only way the B1G is getting two teams in is if somehow Bama and LSU don't both get in. 

Mostly agree

Unfriended in real life but not Facebook, yet. 

Rob Mullens isn't going to do the Ducks dirty.  Sorry, not sorry. 

I guess we’re far enough into the season for this...

Teams that control their own destiny, win and in:

Bama

LSU

OSU

Penn State

Clemson

Minnesota

Alive but no margin of error and need some luck:

Florida

UGA

Oregon

OU

Need to win out and have some more luck than the teams above:

Baylor

Utah

SMU

App St.

I guess we’re far enough into the season for this...

Teams that control their own destiny, win and in:

Bama

LSU

OSU

Penn State

Clemson

Minnesota

Florida

UGA

Oregon

OU

Baylor

Utah

SMU

App St.
UGA/Florida winner this weekend controls their own destiny.  If either wins out at 12-1 (which would include winning the SECCG) they are going to make it.

Undefeated Baylor would get in over a 1-loss team that didn't win it's conference so they probably belong in the control their own destiny list too.

UGA/Florida winner this weekend controls their own destiny.  If either wins out at 12-1 (which would include winning the SECCG) they are going to make it.

Undefeated Baylor would get in over a 1-loss team that didn't win it's conference so they probably belong in the control their own destiny list too.
Point 1, I think I agree with.  Point 2, not so sure. If LSU loses to Bama in a tight one and Bama wins out, I think LSU is ahead of Baylor. 

Stolen from Twitter and now cant find it but have the gist.  

Name the XII best non-con win.  The answer is likely Kansas State over a borderline bowl eligible MSU.  

As far as I can tell this isn't likely to improve. 

OU

Baylor
Yeah this is flipped.  Baylor wins out and they are well.... undefeated big5.    

OU wins out and their best win is over a now two loss Baylor team.  It's entirely possible that Baylor would be the only ranked opponent they beat all season. Albeit twice.  I can't see how winning a rematch with ksu helps either.  

Short of a total meltdown in front OU is out.  

Name the XII best non-con win.  The answer is likely Kansas State over a borderline bowl eligible MSU.  

So you are saying OU has a Quality Losstm?

I can't see how they put OSU and PSU both in. Maybe if OSU loses, they keep them in with PSU winning the B1G. Since they were a higher rank all year. Although their only top 25 wins would be Michigan St (when they were 25), Wisconsin and presumably not Michigan is still around.  PSU will have 3 top 20 wins if their only loss is to a top 3 OSU. Idk if they vote either of them in but PSU would have the better quality wins. They were voted out with OSU kept when they both had 2 losses in 2016 when PSU beat OSU. So I doubt they'd keep both. 

If Bama loses, they're not winning the SEC and their only top 25 wins will be against a 2 loss Auburn and Texas A&M who was #24 back in September. So if they lose, they're out unless others lose as well. All they have is their preseason ranking of #1 carrying them. If LSU loses, they could still make it. They have 3 top 10 wins other than Bama. If Bama is their 1 loss, they could still make it.

Don't really understand stuff like this. If Kansas State or Texas or TCU had played and beaten a team that was good enough to render this argument irrelevant (like Michigan), how does that make Baylor or whoever any more or less deserving of inclusion in the CFP? 

Don't really understand stuff like this. If Kansas State or Texas or TCU had played and beaten a team that was good enough to render this argument irrelevant (like Michigan), how does that make Baylor or whoever any more or less deserving of inclusion in the CFP? 
Comparing wins across power five conferences is a big part of deciding who is the fourth participant.  For better or worse. 

I can't see how they put OSU and PSU both in. Maybe if OSU loses, they keep them in with PSU winning the B1G. Since they were a higher rank all year. Although their only top 25 wins would be Michigan St (when they were 25), Wisconsin and presumably not Michigan is still around.  PSU will have 3 top 20 wins if their only loss is to a top 3 OSU. Idk if they vote either of them in but PSU would have the better quality wins. They were voted out with OSU kept when they both had 2 losses in 2016 when PSU beat OSU. So I doubt they'd keep both. 

If Bama loses, they're not winning the SEC and their only top 25 wins will be against a 2 loss Auburn and Texas A&M who was #24 back in September. So if they lose, they're out unless others lose as well. All they have is their preseason ranking of #1 carrying them. If LSU loses, they could still make it. They have 3 top 10 wins other than Bama. If Bama is their 1 loss, they could still make it.
Bama with one loss is far from out. 

Bama with one loss is far from out. 
If everyone that's undefeated wins, we'd have Clemson unbeaten, OSU/PSU unbeaten, LSU Unbeaten, Baylor Unbeaten. The only Bama has over Baylor is that they were ranked higher longer. Otherwise they'd have the same amount of quality wins (Baylor over Ok, Bama over Auburn). Baylor will have won their conference. Bama won't and will have 1 loss. 

Again that's if Baylor wins out and OSU/PSU also win out. Bama will obviously be alive with the 1 loss teams too. 

If everyone that's undefeated wins, we'd have Clemson unbeaten, OSU/PSU unbeaten, LSU Unbeaten, Baylor Unbeaten. The only Bama has over Baylor is that they were ranked higher longer. Otherwise they'd have the same amount of quality wins (Baylor over Ok, Bama over Auburn). Baylor will have won their conference. Bama won't and will have 1 loss. 

Again that's if Baylor wins out and OSU/PSU also win out. Bama will obviously be alive with the 1 loss teams too. 
If it’s undefeated Baylor/one-loss Bama then I have some extremely bad news for the fine folks in Waco. 

Feel like we have this same conversation every year right before Nov 1.  And every year, the 'what ifs' take care of themselves as the month of Nov. grinds up and spits out some of the teams being discussed as possible playoff teams. 
Yes. Baylor is more likely to end up with 2 losses than be undefeated. 

Feel like we have this same conversation every year right before Nov 1.  And every year, the 'what ifs' take care of themselves as the month of Nov. grinds up and spits out some of the teams being discussed as possible playoff teams. 
True. I don't believe Baylor goes Unbeaten. But if they do and they go up against a 1 loss Bama team, they're strength of schedule is pretty similar. 

If it’s undefeated Baylor/one-loss Bama then I have some extremely bad news for the fine folks in Waco. 
I don't expect Baylor to win out (Rooting for Matt Rhule though, great story). But if they do, all Bama has going for them is that they were ranked #1 preseason and stayed there because they didn't lose until LSU. They haven't really played anybody though. 

I don't expect Baylor to win out (Rooting for Matt Rhule though, great story). But if they do, all Bama has going for them is that they were ranked #1 preseason and stayed there because they didn't lose until LSU. They haven't really played anybody though. 
No they haven’t but they will be adding LSU and Auburn to the schedule. And frankly, if it’s a tie in the minds of the committee Bama is going to win that tiebreaker. 

If Bama loses just 1 game to either LSU, Auburn or the SEC East champ and that's their only blemish, then I think Cappy is right and they'll go in.  I think that's far more likely than Baylor winning out.  

No they haven’t but they will be adding LSU and Auburn to the schedule. And frankly, if it’s a tie in the minds of the committee Bama is going to win that tiebreaker. 
I know they would. I think that would bring about the 8 team playoff sooner if a 1 loss non conference champ made it in over an unbeaten P5 champ.

OSU also beat Cincinnati.

MSU falling and Cincy rising kind of cancels each other out.
Not saying they don't -- just setting the record straight. 

I'm of the side that thinks there is no room to ##### and moan if you aren't undefeated -- no reason to start picketing to get in with one loss.

Not saying they don't -- just setting the record straight. 

I'm of the side that thinks there is no room to ##### and moan if you aren't undefeated -- no reason to start picketing to get in with one loss.
Agreed. If PSU loses, I don't expect them to get in. 

I doubt they would leave an undefeated P5 champion out but if they do, that starts the Big 12/Pac 12 merge?  Or just tells Big 12 teams we don't care about your 9th conference game go play someone out of conference too?

After all these years having an 8 team playoff seems better and better.    All p5 champs and 3 at large.  

Why is this so difficult?
Because the Big12 and Pac10 don't even look like to have the 7th and 8th best teams in most years having won one playoff game between the two conferences, and none since 2014.  It would be a huge waste of time.  4 teams is fine.  Even if two of them are SEC most years.

Because the Big12 and Pac10 don't even look like to have the 7th and 8th best teams in most years having won one playoff game between the two conferences, and none since 2014.  It would be a huge waste of time.  4 teams is fine.  Even if two of them are SEC most years.
One thing that's not being discussed is the fact that the Pac12 is in dire financial straits.  Something will need to be done or this conference might just dissolve.  Thanks Larry Scott!

Users who are viewing this thread