What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 College football thread - It's 2020, yo. Go to the new thread. (2 Viewers)

Jeremy Pruitt Suggests Tennessee May Not Punt And Will Only Onside Kick Against Alabama

https://dailycaller.com/2019/10/15/jeremy-pruitt-tennessee-alabama-no-punts-onside-kicks/

Oh! I did not know this was a real thing. Amazing!!
I've been onboard with teams going for it much more often than they currently do on 4th downs.  I'm not sold on the onside kick idea though - just too high a risk for such a low return.  Not to mention - after you do it the first time I would assume your likelihood of catching them off-guard goes way down and makes the recovery rate even lower.

bigmarc27 said:
Im not trying to argue Lawrence vs Tua. I don’t really care one way or the other, but if you think Lawrence is bad or “beyond putrid” then you’re not seeing the game, just the box score. 

I agree that just seeing the box score stats doesn't tell the story of how Lawrence is doing this year.  He's been running the ball more this season and quietly has 5 rushing TDs.  People expect to see 400+ yards with 3+ TDs every week in the box score but if they don't watch the game the miss why he doesn't have those numbers.  

He could have had 450+ with 6 TDs against FSU.  Same with Syracuse.  Forget about Charlotte.  He played one series into the 3rd quarter vs FSU.  Hard to roll up stats doing that.  And he's basically done that every week this season except vs UNC.  As you mentioned, the UNC game was the best thing to happen to them.  Win under adversity and find a way when your A game isn't there.   

Dabo doesn't care about padding stats.  It's why it will be hard for a Clemson player to win the Heisman under him. 

On First Take, Stephen A put up the usual suspects for the Heisman and asked Dabo who was his pick.  He said "I couldn't care less" and said he'd take Trevor over anyone for a QB when one game needs to be won.  He then went on to talk about stats and the numbers Trevor could put up.  "But that's not who we are."  

I think it's good that Clemson is, once again, behind the scenes and a little disrespected by some.  let's see how it turns out.  

I've been to a few big college stadiums and very rarely have thought this is the nicest/crappiest looking stadium.   For as cool as they may look on the outside they are all crappy on the inside :lol:

eta: hmm that made me think - trying to go throught the list.  We started a tradition with my dad and now sister of trying to go to one college game every year the past 10 years or so but it doesnt always happen.  My dad doesn't want to go too far West :lol:

Notre Dame

Tennessee

Clemson

Florida State 

Miami - this was awful

Alabama

Pitt (old stadium)

Penn State

Texas A&M

Georgia

I'm forgetting a few more...  Always a good time
Pitt has a stadium?!?

I would actually recommend a game at Bobby Dodd (GT) over Sanford (UGA). Sanford is about as generic of a stadium as you can find. 

I've been onboard with teams going for it much more often than they currently do on 4th downs.  I'm not sold on the onside kick idea though - just too high a risk for such a low return.  Not to mention - after you do it the first time I would assume your likelihood of catching them off-guard goes way down and makes the recovery rate even lower.
Pretty bold to assume Tennessee is going to have more than one kickoff in that game.

I agree that just seeing the box score stats doesn't tell the story of how Lawrence is doing this year.  He's been running the ball more this season and quietly has 5 rushing TDs.  People expect to see 400+ yards with 3+ TDs every week in the box score but if they don't watch the game the miss why he doesn't have those numbers.  

He could have had 450+ with 6 TDs against FSU.  Same with Syracuse.  Forget about Charlotte.  He played one series into the 3rd quarter vs FSU.  Hard to roll up stats doing that.  And he's basically done that every week this season except vs UNC.  As you mentioned, the UNC game was the best thing to happen to them.  Win under adversity and find a way when your A game isn't there.   

Dabo doesn't care about padding stats.  It's why it will be hard for a Clemson player to win the Heisman under him. 

On First Take, Stephen A put up the usual suspects for the Heisman and asked Dabo who was his pick.  He said "I couldn't care less" and said he'd take Trevor over anyone for a QB when one game needs to be won.  He then went on to talk about stats and the numbers Trevor could put up.  "But that's not who we are."  

I think it's good that Clemson is, once again, behind the scenes and a little disrespected by some.  let's see how it turns out.  
It's not just the volume stats that are bad.  8ypa and 62% completion are both poor for an elite college QB on an elite college team.  Not to mention the INTs.

We can have all the excuses in the world and I get that there is some circumstance at play.  But Kyle Trask hasn't started a football game in 6 years and walked into a 4 game stretch with two matchups against top 10 teams playing behind a poor O-line with no running game and he has outplayed Lawrence in every category whether we look at volume or efficiency.  And Trask is not particularly good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would actually recommend a game at Bobby Dodd (GT) over Sanford (UGA). Sanford is about as generic of a stadium as you can find. 
I’m a Tech grad and think this is bad advice - when you factor in tailgating, atmosphere, co-eds, drinking/bars, 100k vs 50k and the game you’ll get it’s impossible for me to endorse this recommendation.

It's not just the volume stats that are bad.  8ypa and 62% completion are both poor for an elite college QB on an elite college team.  Not to mention the INTs.

We can have all the excuses in the world.  Kyle Trask hasn't started a football game in 6 years and walked into a 4 game stretch with two matchups against top 10 teams playing behind a poor O-line with no running game and he has outplayed Lawrence in every category whether we look at volume or efficiency.  And Trask is not particularly good.
I get what you're saying but I believe those percentages would be higher if he had more attempts and time against teams like Florida state and Syracuse and Charlotte where he spends most of the game on the sidelines.  The INTs don't concern me as some of them were on desperation throws trying to make something happen (one or two were at the end of the half).  The worst one that was almost a pick 6, it was explained that the WR went the wrong route and wasn't where he was supposed to be.  But even that one, Lawrence hustled and prevented points.  My concern after the first few games was his inaccuracy with over-throws.  He's since been much better with that.   And this year he's been more of a running threat.  

At any rate, I think he is doing fine and will be great down the road.  I think he had been pressing to start the season, trying to live up to all the hype heaped on him based on what he did in the playoff last year.  He's 19 and will make mistakes.  He said that he was pressing.  He's just now getting used to all the attention he gets in public.  Clemson (and that area of SC) is a small place.  He is celebrity everywhere he goes up there.  Everyone wants a selfie, etc.  He's learning how to handle it but said it is tough to try and meet all the expectations.  Those aren't coming from the team or Dabo.  But everyone wonders where is the QB that picked apart Saban's team.  He's still there.  But he's still learning his position and how to be a leader.  

Trask has done very well with his opportunities.  I would take nothing away from him.  I just know which one I'd rather have going into a playoff game.  

I’m a Tech grad and think this is bad advice - when you factor in tailgating, atmosphere, co-eds, drinking/bars, 100k vs 50k and the game you’ll get it’s impossible for me to endorse this recommendation.
I guess it depends on what you’re looking for. If you want big game atmosphere and a gameday experience, UGA. Bobby Dodd among the skyline is a much cooler stadium experience though. Sanford is bland and trying to walk through the narrow corridors is awful. 

I'd like to visit more college stadiums for sure.  I'm far more interested in that than hitting NFL stadiums.  I have very limited experience here, but I don't know how much cooler it can get than being able to take a ferry boat with live music and booze to a football game like you can in Seattle for UW games.  That's pretty damn awesome.

I'd like to visit more college stadiums for sure.  I'm far more interested in that than hitting NFL stadiums.  I have very limited experience here, but I don't know how much cooler it can get than being able to take a ferry boat with live music and booze to a football game like you can in Seattle for UW games.  That's pretty damn awesome.
All nfl stadiums are the same. Your plan is the correct one. 

All nfl stadiums are the same. Your plan is the correct one. 
I've been to Jerrah world for a college game.  It's a magnificent building, but too damn big.  I much prefer the college experience, especially if the stadiums are on or near campus.  

Cal's stadium sucks but it's kind of fun walking along fraternity/sorority row to get there.  Huge trees too, which are nice.  

Rose Bowl is pretty awesome too.  Not for a UCLA game, but the Granddaddy of them all is totally worth a trip.  

For college only stadiums (not counting like Raymond James even though USF plays there), I’ve been to Clemson, GT, UGA, FSU, Wake Forest, SCar, and Texas A&M.  They all have positives and negatives. The only really unimpressive place was WF, but it was cold and pouring that day so the poor turnout was part of it.  It was the “Gaines Adams” game for those that remember (see link):

https://youtu.be/4T37g7ygdDI

College Station was fun but I was at the top of the 3rd deck in the end zone. From there you don’t really get a sense of the noise. Someone told me it was the highest point for 100 miles in every direction. 

I wish I had gone to a game in Oxford, MS when I was at Millsaps.  What a wasted opportunity there.  I did see Ole Miss play LSU in Jackson, but it wasn't anywhere close to the same experience I could have had at Oxford or, going down to Baton Rouge for a game too.  

Man, I wish I could go back in time and tell younger me some things to do....and NOT do.  :oldunsure:

I'd like to see a game at Lambeau and Arrowhead, but nothing else really stands out.  
Agree with both of these, but if you've never been to a Saints game, that should be on your radar screen too.  The Superdome isn't marvelous, but the people and the fun are hard to top.  

Agree with both of these, but if you've never been to a Saints game, that should be on your radar screen too.  The Superdome isn't marvelous, but the people and the fun are hard to top.  
Good tip.  I was in NOLA during the NFC Championship weekend this year.  That is a town that loves their team (and their booze)

General Malaise said:
I have one college place on my bucket list: https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/video/1327030851648

They have an unhealthy obsession with college football due to there being nothing else of substance in their state and also due to the fact that the state has the worst public education system this side of Mississippi. 

Also they are backwards hicks cc: @jplvr
That dude is a student which are a wide majority the opposite of what you describe...probably wealthy and addicted to drugs and gambling...and stupid.

Jerry Jones is going to throw ridiculous amount of money to Lincoln Riley this off season... ?  OU connection, hottest college coach.  Barry Switzer 2.0?  

Will Riley land in Dallas?  

Jerry Jones is going to throw ridiculous amount of money to Lincoln Riley this off season... ?  OU connection, hottest college coach.  Barry Switzer 2.0?  

Will Riley land in Dallas?  
Jones is an Arkansas guy, not OU but I can definitely see him making a run at Riley after this year.  Time for Slappy Tomato Head to go.  

I don't think Riley is Switzer 2.0, though.  Switzer wasn't innovative and relied on the team's talent and coaching staff until the talent got old and/or left and the coaching staff got poached to death.  It's been 20 years of mediocrity ever since.

Feel like the wrong team is favored in the Washington/Oregon game.  Ducks lost their top TE and best target for the season.  That's a huge loss.  Love the Under 50.5 in this one.

Jones is an Arkansas guy, not OU but I can definitely see him making a run at Riley after this year.  Time for Slappy Tomato Head to go.  

I don't think Riley is Switzer 2.0, though.  Switzer wasn't innovative and relied on the team's talent and coaching staff until the talent got old and/or left and the coaching staff got poached to death.  It's been 20 years of mediocrity ever since.
I didn't mean to imply Riley is Switzer 2.0, just the situation in general (OU coach going to work for Jerry).  I think Riley will do well in the NFL.  Agree that it's time for STH to go.  

Feel like the wrong team is favored in the Washington/Oregon game.  Ducks lost their top TE and best target for the season.  That's a huge loss.  Love the Under 50.5 in this one.
Pittman is there best target.  Breeland is a big loss though.  Oregon is the better team.  Game is similar to last year with roles reversed.  Should be close game.

Switzer had also been out of coaching for six years. Riley has the perfect setup in Norman--complete control of the organization. Who in that position would leave to be constantly second-guessed by Jerry Jones?

Users who are viewing this thread