Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Tom Servo

2019 College football thread - Slippery Rock plays for right to play in D2 semifinals

3 minutes ago, Capella said:

All nfl stadiums are the same. Your plan is the correct one. 

I've been to Jerrah world for a college game.  It's a magnificent building, but too damn big.  I much prefer the college experience, especially if the stadiums are on or near campus.  

Cal's stadium sucks but it's kind of fun walking along fraternity/sorority row to get there.  Huge trees too, which are nice.  

Rose Bowl is pretty awesome too.  Not for a UCLA game, but the Granddaddy of them all is totally worth a trip.  

For college only stadiums (not counting like Raymond James even though USF plays there), I’ve been to Clemson, GT, UGA, FSU, Wake Forest, SCar, and Texas A&M.  They all have positives and negatives. The only really unimpressive place was WF, but it was cold and pouring that day so the poor turnout was part of it.  It was the “Gaines Adams” game for those that remember (see link):

https://youtu.be/4T37g7ygdDI

College Station was fun but I was at the top of the 3rd deck in the end zone. From there you don’t really get a sense of the noise. Someone told me it was the highest point for 100 miles in every direction. 

Edited by bigmarc27
  • Like 1

I wish I had gone to a game in Oxford, MS when I was at Millsaps.  What a wasted opportunity there.  I did see Ole Miss play LSU in Jackson, but it wasn't anywhere close to the same experience I could have had at Oxford or, going down to Baton Rouge for a game too.  

Man, I wish I could go back in time and tell younger me some things to do....and NOT do.  :oldunsure:

16 minutes ago, Capella said:

All nfl stadiums are the same. Your plan is the correct one. 

I'd like to see a game at Lambeau and Arrowhead, but nothing else really stands out.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Slapdash said:

I'd like to see a game at Lambeau and Arrowhead, but nothing else really stands out.  

Agree with both of these, but if you've never been to a Saints game, that should be on your radar screen too.  The Superdome isn't marvelous, but the people and the fun are hard to top.  

9 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

Agree with both of these, but if you've never been to a Saints game, that should be on your radar screen too.  The Superdome isn't marvelous, but the people and the fun are hard to top.  

Good tip.  I was in NOLA during the NFC Championship weekend this year.  That is a town that loves their team (and their booze)

Heading to West Point this year

I've seen college games in Pro stadiums also - just not the same imo

2 hours ago, bigmarc27 said:

Someone told me it was the highest point for 100 miles in every direction. 

There's a joke about tall bonfires somewhere in here, but I'm not the type of ####### to make that joke.

2 hours ago, General Malaise said:

I'd like to visit more college stadiums for sure.  I'm far more interested in that than hitting NFL stadiums.  I have very limited experience here, but I don't know how much cooler it can get than being able to take a ferry boat with live music and booze to a football game like you can in Seattle for UW games.  That's pretty damn awesome.

I have one college place on my bucket list: https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/video/1327030851648

1 minute ago, ffldrew said:

They have an unhealthy obsession with college football due to there being nothing else of substance in their state and also due to the fact that the state has the worst public education system this side of Mississippi. 

Also they are backwards hicks cc: @jplvr

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Capella said:

They have an unhealthy obsession with college football due to there being nothing else of substance in their state and also due to the fact that the state has the worst public education system this side of Mississippi. 

Don't

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Capella said:

That dude is a student which are a wide majority the opposite of what you describe...probably wealthy and addicted to drugs and gambling...and stupid.

10 hours ago, ffldrew said:

Looks like the kind of kid that has a Barstool subscription.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, General Malaise said:

:lmao:

jeep and Cappy are like...old buddies.  From the way way WAY back machine.  

Yes. Ridiculous. 

• Laughing 1

Jerry Jones is going to throw ridiculous amount of money to Lincoln Riley this off season... ?  OU connection, hottest college coach.  Barry Switzer 2.0?  

Will Riley land in Dallas?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Premier said:

Yes. Ridiculous. 

I thought we worked it out with Joe so that we could be unexcellent to each other in this thread.    

• Like 1

1 minute ago, psychobillies said:

I thought we worked it out with Joe so that we could be unexcellent to each other in this thread.    

:shrug: guessing somebody reported it. 

2 hours ago, psychobillies said:

It's using the FBG Moderator account that cracks me up.  :lmao: 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jayrok said:

Jerry Jones is going to throw ridiculous amount of money to Lincoln Riley this off season... ?  OU connection, hottest college coach.  Barry Switzer 2.0?  

Jones is an Arkansas guy, not OU but I can definitely see him making a run at Riley after this year.  Time for Slappy Tomato Head to go.  

I don't think Riley is Switzer 2.0, though.  Switzer wasn't innovative and relied on the team's talent and coaching staff until the talent got old and/or left and the coaching staff got poached to death.  It's been 20 years of mediocrity ever since.

Feel like the wrong team is favored in the Washington/Oregon game.  Ducks lost their top TE and best target for the season.  That's a huge loss.  Love the Under 50.5 in this one.

41 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

Jones is an Arkansas guy, not OU but I can definitely see him making a run at Riley after this year.  Time for Slappy Tomato Head to go.  

I don't think Riley is Switzer 2.0, though.  Switzer wasn't innovative and relied on the team's talent and coaching staff until the talent got old and/or left and the coaching staff got poached to death.  It's been 20 years of mediocrity ever since.

I didn't mean to imply Riley is Switzer 2.0, just the situation in general (OU coach going to work for Jerry).  I think Riley will do well in the NFL.  Agree that it's time for STH to go.  

Most uninspiring regular season in recent memory?

3 hours ago, General Malaise said:

Feel like the wrong team is favored in the Washington/Oregon game.  Ducks lost their top TE and best target for the season.  That's a huge loss.  Love the Under 50.5 in this one.

Pittman is there best target.  Breeland is a big loss though.  Oregon is the better team.  Game is similar to last year with roles reversed.  Should be close game.

22 minutes ago, Don't Noonan said:

Pittman is there best target.  Breeland is a big loss though.  Oregon is the better team.  Game is similar to last year with roles reversed.  Should be close game.

Pittman has played, like, 2 games.  How is he their best target? 

Just now, General Malaise said:

Pittman has played, like, 2 games.  How is he their best target? 

Have you watched the last two games?  

5 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

4 catches followed by 3.  Is this a bit? 

:rolleyes:  You seriously don't think Pittman is money?  You are in for a treat then!

1 minute ago, Don't Noonan said:

:rolleyes:  You seriously don't think Pittman is money?  You are in for a treat then!

Honestly never heard of him until today. :shrug:

9 hours ago, Jayrok said:

No

5 hours ago, General Malaise said:

Switzer had also been out of coaching for six years. Riley has the perfect setup in Norman--complete control of the organization. Who in that position would leave to be constantly second-guessed by Jerry Jones?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, General Malaise said:

What are you basing that on?  

Lots of boring matchups this season so far, and burnout on the same old Alabama/Clemson ####. At least Wisconsin is interesting.

11 hours ago, Christo said:

Switzer had also been out of coaching for six years. Riley has the perfect setup in Norman--complete control of the organization. Who in that position would leave to be constantly second-guessed by Jerry Jones?

Not that you're not wrong - because you're not - if a guy is jonesing to coach in the NFL and to do it for a team with the appeal of Dallas, some guy may swallow his pride to do it.

13 hours ago, Christo said:

I agree that Riley has the perfect situation in Norman and it would be hard for him to choose to leave.  But money talks out loud.  I know it's been awhile but Chip Kelly seemed to have pretty nice setup at Oregon but chose to try the NFL.  

I think most guys like Riley will want to try their hand at the highest level at some point. The nfl is the biggest pro sports league in the country, maybe the world, and the Cowboys somehow are the most popular team. I know OU fans love their program but it’s not the Dallas Cowboys. No college program is. There is nothing in college that is as big as the the possibility of being in the super bowl. 

I mean Nick Saban left a dynamite job at LSU to go coach the freaking Miami Dolphins. 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Premier said:

I think most guys like Riley will want to try their hand at the highest level at some point. The nfl is the biggest pro sports league in the country, maybe the world, and the Cowboys somehow are the most popular team. I know OU fans love their program but it’s not the Dallas Cowboys. No college program is. There is nothing in college that is as big as the the possibility of being in the super bowl. 

From a business perspective in my (licensed apparel) world...you are 100% right about the size of the Cowboys.  But they are an anomaly (as are the Yankees), and big schools are getting closer, and passing the majority of pro teams across all leagues.

My business though doesn't include TV/media...which is obviously the massive difference-maker.  Or international...which boosts the NBA mostly.

Regarding coaching moves...it's up to the individual...no one knows what's most important to them except them.

Edited by gump

1 hour ago, Premier said:

Who knows really.  Everyone just assumes Riley would want to coach in the NFL.  Bob Stoops had those opportunities and always seemed to play them into raises.  I will say with Riley only being 36, unless he falls flat on his face in the NFL he would have plenty of time to come back to a nice gig in college if the NFL didn't work out.  Or he could stick around at OU for 5 more years  to try to win a championship and still be a young-ish NFL HC.  :shrug: 

Today is the 4 year anniversary of Michigan botching a punt snap to let Sparty win.  Surrender cobras for everyone in Ann Arbor!!!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, gump said:

Regarding coaching moves...it's up to the individual...no one knows what's most important to them except them.

I know that. It’s just an opinion, not a deposition. 

1 hour ago, Premier said:

I know that. It’s just an opinion, not a deposition. 

That wasn’t to you...just in general...there is no right answer.

• Thanks 1

On 10/16/2019 at 8:52 AM, Jayrok said:

Why would Riley leave to coach for a loon?  Look at Saban he got a taste of that #### sandwich and jumped ship ASAP back to college.  Switzer talked to Riley and gave him the low down on coaching in the NFL and for Jones.  Hell Jones won a Superbowl in Dallas and still rated the OU job way above the Cowboys .

11 hours ago, Premier said:

I mean Nick Saban left a dynamite job at LSU to go coach the freaking Miami Dolphins. 

And left ASAP 

2 hours ago, SHIZNITTTT said:

Why would Riley leave to coach for a loon?  Look at Saban he got a taste of that #### sandwich and jumped ship ASAP back to college.  Switzer talked to Riley and gave him the low down on coaching in the NFL and for Jones.  Hell Jones won a Superbowl in Dallas and still rated the OU job way above the Cowboys .

:moneybag::moneybag: