What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If there’s a decade of music we could do without, which would it be? (1 Viewer)

If there’s a decade of music we could do without, which would it be?

• 50s

Votes: 33 14.0%
  • 60s

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • 70s

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • 80s

Votes: 15 6.4%
  • 90s

Votes: 24 10.2%
  • 2000s

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • 2010s

Votes: 99 41.9%

• Total voters

Otis

Footballguy
Just thinking if aliens came down and said they were going to delete from history a single decade of music, which would you vote for?

Not going before the 50s, because you uncultured wretches won’t appreciate it, and without that stuff you’d have none of what you have today. 

Someone could make an argument for the 70s. I’d hate them, and would want them dead, but it wouldn’t be totally unreasonable. 

Someone could make an argument for the 70s. I’d hate them, and would want them dead, but it wouldn’t be totally unreasonable. 
Zep alone carries that decade regardless of what else had been produced (and a lot of other great music was).  

Alternative Rock was amazing. Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam,  Nirvana .... My second favorite decade of music behind the 70’s
Sure but I could run off great bands from every decade. 70s has some real weakness. 

Who is giving away

NevermindSmells Like Teen Spirit, Ten, Enter the 36 Chambers, Ready to Die, Illmatic, jar of flies, The Chronic, superunknown, Check your head etc

Zep alone carries that decade regardless of what else had been produced (and a lot of other great music was).  
Meh. Great band but played to death.

This is crazy talk.  We are in the golden age of music.
What is the breakdown of how many of your 1000 songs from 1000 bands are from 2010s?

Sure but I could run off great bands from every decade. 70s has some real weakness
Every decade has real weakness.  Some of the best music ever was produced in the early 70’s (late 60’s too).  That music will still be great for decades to come. 

Meh. Great band but played to death.
Played to death because they are probably the greatest rock band of all time. That tends to happen.  

Not talking importance or the building blocks of what came after and just going the selfish route of what I wouldn't miss at all, 50s is a slam dunk easy answer.    If that wasn't an option it would be a lot tougher, and not sure how I would vote.  My guess would be 60s or 00s would be next on the chopping block.  

Juxtatarot said:
Music was bad in the 50s.  I wouldn’t miss going the rest of my life without those songs.
Yep, was surprised more aren’t saying 50’s and this is coming from a guy who would rank the 60’s #1.  I think 50’s is the obvious “correct” answer.

@Ilov80s hinted at it earlier, great decade for rock and rap - stood the test of time too. Which is why I think its consideration is laughable. 
Yep.  Pearl Jam, Nirvana, RHCP, Rage, Radiohead, Tool, NIN, Sublime, Beck,etc.  I could just keep naming names.   Don't get me started with hip hop.  Easily my favorite decade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not talking importance or the building blocks of what came after and just going the selfish route of what I wouldn't miss at all, 50s is a slam dunk easy answer.    If that wasn't an option it would be a lot tougher, and not sure how I would vote.  My guess would be 60s or 00s would be next on the chopping block.  
same

From 1920 and "Crazy Blues" Mamie Smith to the first recordings by Howlin' Wolf around 52 were amazing a MUST listen for anyone serious about music.  The 50's to the late 70's were great,  so,.......we could do without the  90's.

The 20's to the 90's we had so much ground breaking stuff, so much never heard before, by the 90's not so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
tommyboy said:
70's: every genre of music we listened to the last 50 years.

80's: stuff that started in the 70's with electronics added in
Yep, the electronic pop with the bad hair and fashion dooms the 80's.

I'm going with the Aughts. Mostly because that's when I really began to stop paying attention to alot of new music.
There's a lot of truth to this.  Age is a big factor here...when you "tuned in", when you "tuned out".  I am not a big fan of most of the synthesized, electronic stuff of the '80s, but since the 80s were my coming of age years, there are too many memories and trigger songs that I couldn't just throw it away.  I too stopped listening to most new stuff in the 2000's and I seem to know even less stuff from the current decade.  Thus either of the decades from 2000-2019 would be at the top of my list to cut.

Users who are viewing this thread