What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If there’s a decade of music we could do without, which would it be? (1 Viewer)

If there’s a decade of music we could do without, which would it be?

• 50s

Votes: 33 14.0%
  • 60s

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • 70s

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • 80s

Votes: 15 6.4%
  • 90s

Votes: 24 10.2%
  • 2000s

Votes: 48 20.3%
  • 2010s

Votes: 99 41.9%

• Total voters
Otis said:
Someone could make an argument for the 70s. I’d hate them, and would want them dead, but it wouldn’t be totally unreasonable. 
There’s a fair share of cheesy 70s music but there are some all-time classics from the Stones, Floyd, Neil Young, Zeppelin, Dylan, and many others. It would likely be my last choice.

Im not as invested with 2000-2010 or 2010 to the present but there’s some great stuff in there as well if you dig around and I’m currently delving in a lot more so let’s keep that.

Most of us probably grew up on 80s music/MTV era so there’s a lot of nostalgia there but if I’m being really honest there’s a great argument it was the worst musical decade. There’s a ton of one hit wonders and junk in there and only a handful of classics.

I went with the 80s.

Last edited by a moderator:
There’s a fair share of cheesy 70s music but there are some all-time classics from the Stones, Floyd, Neil Young, Zeppelin, Dylan, and many others. It would likely be my last choice.

Im not as invested with 2000-2010 or 2010 to the present but there’s some great stuff in there as well if you dig around and I’m currently delving in a lot more so let’s keep that.

Most of us probably grew up on 80s music/MTV era so there’s a lot of nostalgia there but if I’m being really honest there’s a great argument it was the worst musical decade. There’s a ton of one hit wonders and junk in there and only a handful of classics.

I went with the 80s.
You basically cannot vote for the 80s given the list of albums I posted on the prior page. And there are 10 others like those I could rattle off too. 

You basically cannot vote for the 80s given the list of albums I posted on the prior page. And there are 10 others like those I could rattle off too. 
We could do that for every decade and other than Appetite I could live without those - despite liking most of them a lot.

If it’s a personal question and not a “we” question, 70s music is the I could live with never hearing again. Played out. Most Led Zeppelin is an instant skip for me on any playlist. Bowie, Talking Heads, The Cars, Van Morrison do redeem it though.

voted '90s, and not even close ... my thinking is that if we nuke that #### decade all the dreck of future decades may have been eradicated. 

good lord was it awful. 

Thriller 

Appetite for Destruction

Hysteria

And Justice for All

Back in Black

Purple Rain

end discussion 
2 of those came to mind - appetite and justice. Those would be tough to love without. The rest are somewhere between not for me (Thriller) and just plain bad (Hysteria). 

Music in the past 20 years can’t be as bad as we think it is, can it?

Maybe its that music is just more disperse—many more bands available out there who can record and put out their stuff inexpensively, and less of the thing where you have a number of major supergroups who have longevity and rule MTV for years.

I went with this decade. The 2010s. That or the eighties. The nineties have some of my favorite hip hop and punk ever. Punk had so many great labels and progenitors, from Lookout! to Crypt records; it was actually a great decade for garage punk. The nineties were also great for Native Tongue-esque hip hop in the earlier years and the late nineties saw the rise of Defintive Jux and Rawkus records, two labels actively saving hip hop from itself back then.

I think the rise of pop music in both this decade and the eighties made me willing to forego each. Punk got political in both decades, sapping it of its personal vitality, pop was very over-the-top culturally sensitive while attempting to pull off libertinism. Both decades' popular sensibilities coming to the fore make both expendable in my book. 

eta* expendable given the premises of the question, that is. Neither decade is expendable in the least. 

Besides Sinatra, Elvis, Chuck Berry, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Hank Williams, Buddy Holly, Little Richard, etc. The jazz of the 50s alone is enough to rival any decade.
This is a great list - the one that could  maybe convince me to change my vote would be Sinatra

Otis said:
Not going before the 50s, because you uncultured wretches won’t appreciate it, and without that stuff you’d have none of what you have today. 
Based on this, it would be hard to vote for anything other than the most recent decade.

There has never been a more diverse group of music artists producing more content with so many means of producing and consuming that music that this very moment.

That's both the beauty and the problem with this era.
I think it is true that there is a TON of content out there.  But the great stuff doesn’t “change music” or fit into pop culture or become a part of the conversation. It’s eclectic and rare and no one has heard about it.

As proof look at the most played songs of the 1990’s. The pop crap won’t be anywhere near the top.

Now?  The top 100 list is full of pop. Some is catchy, some i enjoy with kids, but it’s pop.  Nothing is breaking through.  The streaming services and their “popular songs” pages control the narrative and keep the amazing and diverse music on the outside.

Or maybe I’m just old and don’t know where the cool stuff is. 

Plus, the best R&B and hip-hop came from the 90's
This is actually a flaw with the poll.  SOme of the best started late 80's and then into the 90's

Run Dmc, LL Cool J (Rock the Bells), NWA Straight Outta Compton, Erik B, BDP etc etc countless others

all 80s

Then you have Marvin Gaye, Prince , Michael Jackson , Luther and a ton of others

Plus I love my hair metal!#!#@

Besides Sinatra, Elvis, Chuck Berry, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Hank Williams, Buddy Holly, Little Richard, etc. The jazz of the 50s alone is enough to rival any decade.
I get all that, but still would be surprised if 5% of the FFA listens to any of that regularly.  I figured 50s or 10s would lap the rest since most people dont listen to music made before they were born and seem to think no good music was made since they graduated from college.  ;)

I get all that, but still would be surprised if 5% of the FFA listens to any of that regularly.  I figured 50s or 10s would lap the rest since most people dont listen to music made before they were born and seem to think no good music was made since they graduated from college.  ;)
I get that you winked and are joking, but this decade might really be one of the worst for popular (by that, I mean cultural pop, not pop charts) music since the forties. I graduated in the nineties and think the aughts were one of the best decades for music in recent memory. 

If it’s a personal question and not a “we” question, 70s music is the I could live with never hearing again. Played out. Most Led Zeppelin is an instant skip for me on any playlist. Bowie, Talking Heads, The Cars, Van Morrison do redeem it though.
singer-songwriters, folk, punk, funk, disco, reggae, r&b, soul, rock, hard rock, soft rock, pop rock, glam rock, heavy metal, southern rock, country rock, country, new wave, blues, and jazz. The 70s had a big variety of great music.

I get that you winked and are joking, but this decade might really be one of the worst for popular (by that, I mean cultural pop, not pop charts) music since the forties. I graduated in the nineties and think the aughts were one of the best decades for music in recent memory. 
What do you still listen to from the aughts?  Serious question.  I scrolled through my spotify list this morning and this is the extent of my list that has more than a couple of songs:

White Stripes

American Idiot - but obviously more of a 90's band

Foo Fighters - if it weren't for In Your Honor they would be heavily weighted 90's

Josh Homme projects, but he's another one that started in the 90's

Coldplay - but given how much awful they produced I feel like I should omit them

Speaking of awful, John Mayer - everything pop he ever touched was liquid poop, but he's a blues guy at heart that used pop to break through - I may not like that he did it, but - he good

Muse/Linkin Park - almost didn't include them due to lack of quantity, but it's closer to 10 than 0 so I included both

Godsmack/Disturbed/Incubus - each also bridged late 90's-aughts like many listed above and the latter is heavily weighted 90's 

---

I may have scrolled too fast and missed a few, but ^^^that's not a compelling argument.  And I graduated high school 2001. Most of what we listened to in college/post grad just aged horribly.  A lot of bands that put together a couple of great songs, but nothing memorable beyond that.

singer-songwriters, folk, punk, funk, disco, reggae, r&b, soul, rock, hard rock, soft rock, pop rock, heavy metal, southern rock, country rock, country, new wave, blues, and jazz. The 70s had a big variety of great music.
Oh I know. I’m mostly just playing the antagonist role. I like lots of 70s music- just tired of most of the “classic rock” fare.

Sure- depends who “we” is in the question.  Is it we the FFA or we as in society? I think some of the people here are certainly locked into the music from their HS-30s. They of course  think  it’s also the objectively best and most timeless...just like every generation ever does.

singer-songwriters, folk, punk, funk, disco, reggae, r&b, soul, rock, hard rock, soft rock, pop rock, heavy metal, southern rock, country rock, country, new wave, blues, and jazz. The 70s had a big variety of great music.
Yes, something for everyone.

2010s for me.  Can't live without all that jazz from the 50s.  

We can all agree the 60s was the best though, right?

We can all agree the 60s was the best though, right?
Putting my age bias aside, I find it very difficult to argue for anything over the 70's.  Was more bad music produced in that decade?  Yes, absolutely.  But the amount of great music dwarfs the 60's.  And I get that you can't do this, but if you gave the last year or so of the 60's to the 70's then I don't think there is any debate from much of anyone.

Everything up through the 90's is great musically. There is a lot of important (and good) stuff all throughout the 2nd half of the 20th century.

And I think the internet age has made the 2010's pretty great.

I'm a huge Foo Fighters fan, but even they can't single handedly save the 2000's imo. 

Putting my age bias aside, I find it very difficult to argue for anything over the 70's.  Was more bad music produced in that decade?  Yes, absolutely.  But the amount of great music dwarfs the 60's.  And I get that you can't do this, but if you gave the last year or so of the 60's to the 70's then I don't think there is any debate from much of anyone.
add me to these sentiments- the 70s flat out revolutionized every aspect of music ... started off on the heels of some classic releases, then relentlessly churned the innovation wheel 'til the prototype machinations were forever oblitetated. 

i'll take it all, from the ridiculous to the sublime to the legendary to the short lived wannabes - i want it all. 

I'm a huge Foo Fighters fan, but even they can't single handedly save the 2000's imo. 
I go back and forth on which of their albums is best, but one of them (Colour) isn't a 2000's release and the band's founder is more associated with the 90's anyway.

What do you still listen to from the aughts?  Serious question.  I scrolled through my spotify list this morning and this is the extent of my list that has more than a couple of songs:

White Stripes

American Idiot - but obviously more of a 90's band

Foo Fighters - if it weren't for In Your Honor they would be heavily weighted 90's

Josh Homme projects, but he's another one that started in the 90's

Coldplay - but given how much awful they produced I feel like I should omit them

Speaking of awful, John Mayer - everything pop he ever touched was liquid poop, but he's a blues guy at heart that used pop to break through - I may not like that he did it, but - he good

Muse/Linkin Park - almost didn't include them due to lack of quantity, but it's closer to 10 than 0 so I included both

Godsmack/Disturbed/Incubus - each also bridged late 90's-aughts like many listed above and the latter is heavily weighted 90's 

---

I may have scrolled too fast and missed a few, but ^^^that's not a compelling argument.  And I graduated high school 2001. Most of what we listened to in college/post grad just aged horribly.  A lot of bands that put together a couple of great songs, but nothing memorable beyond that.
I agree that the aughts were by far the worst decade.

I don’t not like it because it’s new, I don’t like it because it sucks 
Just like your parents thought your music sucked, and their parents thought their music sucked. 

If you can’t find anything you don’t like now, you’re not looking hard enough. That might be the bigger problem, with most everyone in here popping their CDs into their player or only listening on the fm dial. There’s substantial music being made in all genres, with most here probably only hearing the 2% of it that record labels are paying to get on the air. 

Thriller 

Appetite for Destruction

Hysteria

And Justice for All

Back in Black

Purple Rain

end discussion 
I initially voted the 90's before reading the thread, but Id like to change my vote to the 80's after reading this post.

Glam-rock is the 2nd worst genre of music ever (behind only bro-country) and it kinda spanned both the 80's and 90's. The 90's at least had awesome rap and the birth of grunge. The 80's were mostly just bad.

Just like your parents thought your music sucked, and their parents thought their music sucked. 

If you can’t find anything you don’t like now, you’re not looking hard enough. That might be the bigger problem, with most everyone in here popping their CDs into their player or only listening on the fm dial. There’s substantial music being made in all genres, with most here probably only hearing the 2% of it that record labels are paying to get on the air. 
Most people don't listen to the radio.  And yes, there is a ton of music out there.  There's almost too much.  A few weeks ago I found myself wondering if a band or a singer could "revolutionize" music in a way that happened in past years.  It seems as if most people either listen to the "spotify top 100 playlist" or are in their own little dark corners of the music world.

Glam-rock is the 2nd worst genre of music ever (behind only bro-country)
why do you hate the  NY Dolls, Mott the Hoople, the Sweet, Queen, Slade, TRex, Bowie, Lou Reed, Alice Cooper, etc so much?

(itsaprotip - those listed are GLAM rock, and all from the '70s ... you are thinking of HAIR METAL, biiiiig difference) 

HTH

I agree that the aughts were by far the worst decade.
I'm still not there yet - I'm torn between it and the 80's.  I piggy backed Appetite and Justice before.  Otis mentioned Back in Black, which is fine, but I can live without everything on that album; 70's AC/DC was much better.  Everything else I'd add dance along the edges - Jane's Nothing's Shocking was great, but Ritual (1990) was better.  Bruce's the River (1980) was great, but was also his last album before going lame.  He's a 70's artist in my mind.  And while Depeche Mode speaks more to the 80's the one still in my rotation?  Released 1990.  Open minded to others to add that I've either forgotten about or incorrectly associate with the 70's though.

And I also get it when it comes to nostalgia - despite my feelings on the aughts being generally terrible I still listen to some of it, even though I know it's bad.  It's what you grew up with, so you have memories you associate with the music.  But the music was terrible.

I think it is true that there is a TON of content out there.  But the great stuff doesn’t “change music” or fit into pop culture or become a part of the conversation. It’s eclectic and rare and no one has heard about it.

As proof look at the most played songs of the 1990’s. The pop crap won’t be anywhere near the top.

Now?  The top 100 list is full of pop. Some is catchy, some i enjoy with kids, but it’s pop.  Nothing is breaking through.  The streaming services and their “popular songs” pages control the narrative and keep the amazing and diverse music on the outside.

Or maybe I’m just old and don’t know where the cool stuff is. 
I'd be hard-pressed to quantify what the "best stuff" of this decade is, much less qualify it as changing music, simply because it doesn't get as wide-spread exposure as it did in the past. It used to be that there was relatively little content being produced. It was all in control of the recording industry, and that industry wanted to make money. There were fewer genres and fewer means of gaining access to music, so we all listened to what was on the radio or what friends and older brothers and sisters were listening to. Of course that music is going to be considered more memorable and more influential. Also consider that today's music isn't just competing with the best music of its time, it's also competing with the largest catalog of past popular music we've ever had, thereby shrinking its audience even more.

Here's the cool thing though. We have so many ways of discovering new music now. We're not reliant on Sony to tell us what to listen to. We don't have to wade through hours of barely-listenable tripe on the FM radio waiting for a song we like. We don't even need our friends and elder siblings anymore. Pandora is happy to make all sorts of recommendations for me based on songs I know I like. Spotify puts out several weekly lists each week of stuff I've barely listened to or have never heard of - all based on music I listen to all the time. YouTube has channels full of music that some tastemaker thinks I'll be interested in. There are several websites that will recommend new bands if you just tell them what bands you currently enjoy. Heck, we have a popular thread here in the FFA just full of new music options.

As has been mentioned before, most of us are going to prefer the music we grew up on. And honestly, we're only likely to consider the stuff we really liked from that era. We discount the stuff we thought was garbage and don't regard it as indicative of that time. So comparing the other eras, where we are considering both the best and the worst of only what was popular enough to get past our defenses, really isn't very fair.

Can we all agree that the billy Ray Cyrus rap song that all the kids love was cool for about 5 minutes and is now the worst song ever? 

Don't see how it can not be one of the last two decades, but i picked the Aughts (i prefer to call em the Naughties, but that never took off), cuz that's when it died, when music stopped being a force that moved us forward. There should have been a backlash in the Teens, it should have corresponded with the birth of smartphone culture (for what is more insidious & anti-rock than human beings becoming wholly-owned subsidiaries of their communication devices) but happy customers don't revolt and rock is revolting. That is not to say there ain't good music or even that we are not better off not being run by our radios, just that it died somewhere between Radiohead and Black Keys/White Stripes (which is actually late Nineties, but played out in the Naughties). Music is no longer ours, it's yours&yours&yours, like so many other things

I'd be hard-pressed to quantify what the "best stuff" of this decade is, much less qualify it as changing music, simply because it doesn't get as wide-spread exposure as it did in the past. It used to be that there was relatively little content being produced. It was all in control of the recording industry, and that industry wanted to make money. There were fewer genres and fewer means of gaining access to music, so we all listened to what was on the radio or what friends and older brothers and sisters were listening to. Of course that music is going to be considered more memorable and more influential. Also consider that today's music isn't just competing with the best music of its time, it's also competing with the largest catalog of past popular music we've ever had, thereby shrinking its audience even more.

Here's the cool thing though. We have so many ways of discovering new music now. We're not reliant on Sony to tell us what to listen to. We don't have to wade through hours of barely-listenable tripe on the FM radio waiting for a song we like. We don't even need our friends and elder siblings anymore. Pandora is happy to make all sorts of recommendations for me based on songs I know I like. Spotify puts out several weekly lists each week of stuff I've barely listened to or have never heard of - all based on music I listen to all the time. YouTube has channels full of music that some tastemaker thinks I'll be interested in. There are several websites that will recommend new bands if you just tell them what bands you currently enjoy. Heck, we have a popular thread here in the FFA just full of new music options.

As has been mentioned before, most of us are going to prefer the music we grew up on. And honestly, we're only likely to consider the stuff we really liked from that era. We discount the stuff we thought was garbage and don't regard it as indicative of that time. So comparing the other eras, where we are considering both the best and the worst of only what was popular enough to get past our defenses, really isn't very fair.
I agree that I like the era of AI telling me what music I would like.  I have a great pandora station that's been finely tuned.  The experience of listening to music has never been better.  But the garbage my kids listen to is garbage.  It's the "Ace of Base" of my generation.  But when people look back on this decade, what will stand out?  Maybe what people will remember is the vast diversity and explosion of music, even if there aren't many defining artists/songs/bands of this decade.

As some have stated, there was some great music from the 80s. Part of the problem may  be, though, that some of the very worst 80s music was somehow the most popular at the time. Everything was so upside down. Hall and Oates? Pet Shop Boys? Houston...we have a problem!

2000s.  

I keep getting people telling me how Arcade Fire and White Stripes changed their lives and the world, but just not seeing it. 

2010s aren't great but I'll give it to this decade that the actual pop music has made a comeback.  The 2000s didn't even have good pop music.   

The aughts had a great popular revival of rap music and a post-punk revival that dwarfed anything the teens have had, which is centered around auto-tuned trap and pop.

This is all true but what demolishes this era for me is how epically bad rap is. I’m not sure there’s ever been a genre that has taken such precipitous drop in talent tha rap has.

By the way, can we have a thread on Old Town Road?  At first I thought that song was a parody of awful country music.  But it seems like this is a real thing.

Users who are viewing this thread