Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Walking Boot

Which TV Finale Will Have More Viewers Tuning In: Game of Thrones, or, The Big Bang Theory?

Which will be watched more?  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Last week, 12.59 million people watched the penultimate episode of The Big Bang Theory, and 12.48 million people watched the penultimate episode of Game of Thrones. Both end over the next few days. So... who will have more viewers for their finale?

Just curious. For the record, I've never seen a single episode of either show.

Edited by Walking Boot
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, toshiba said:

BBT, don't need a subscription to watch BBT.  GoT requires HBO

This is what I would have initially thought, but then I saw the numbers in the OP. It's much closer than I would have thought. Given that GoT watches will be more motivated to watch live (avoiding spoilers) and the show is a bigger cultural phenomenon (drawing in some number of HBO subscribers who don't watch the show religiously) I could see Thrones eclipsing BBT.

FTR, I too have not seen a single episode of BBT and have seen exactly one episode of GoT.

Edited by Murph

If replays count, GoT in a runaway.

Even if not, GoT will win.  90+% of subscribers will be watching.  I myself will likely be dropping HBO in June now that GoT will be over and they have dropped boxing coverage

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Keith R said:

Even if not, GoT will win.  90+% of subscribers will be watching.  I myself will likely be dropping HBO in June now that GoT will be over and they have dropped boxing coverage

HBO is about to lose a ton of subscribers.

• Like 2

Here is some data:

The Big Bang theory peaked back in 2014 with an episode that drew over 20 million viewers.  It has been on a slow and steady decline to down to the 12 million range now.

GOT has gone in the opposite direction.  In 2014, the GOT episodes drew around 6-7 million viewers.  It has been on a slow and steady incline to the 12 million range now.

Hah! I didn't even know BBT was finishing. 😀

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Keith R said:

If replays and streamers count, GoT in a runaway.

made an addition ... GoT for the easy win. 

1 hour ago, Keith R said:

Do you have cable?  BBT is on ALL THE TIME.  That finale might be watched on 5 different channels each week for a year.

I think the viewership numbers are going to be deceiving.  If I'm at a GOT party with 25 others, we count as one "viewer" in the numbers.  I don't even think there's going to be a BBT viewing party at Jim Parsons house.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keith R said:

I think I may have to subscribe since they dropped boxing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Here is some data:

The Big Bang theory peaked back in 2014 with an episode that drew over 20 million viewers.  It has been on a slow and steady decline to down to the 12 million range now.

GOT has gone in the opposite direction.  In 2014, the GOT episodes drew around 6-7 million viewers.  It has been on a slow and steady incline to the 12 million range now.

Solid information. GOT might sneak past at the wire?

4 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Here is some data:

Seems to me that this would indicate that BBT would win it - people that once watched coming back for one last show.  Nobody is going to start watching GoT on it's last episode I wouln't think.  Also, for the finale of GoT I imagine there will be viewing parties which would reduce the count.

I'd put my money on BBT with little confidence.

6 hours ago, VandyMan said:

HBO is about to lose a ton of subscribers.

Yeah. Dani's heel turn will hurt rewatching. 

Looks like Big Bang Theory had 17.994 million viewers last night, according to the Fast Nationals. We'll see if there's an uptick once the full ratings report comes in.

Gonna be a hard number for GoT to beat.

17 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

Looks like Big Bang Theory had 17.994 million viewers last night, according to the Fast Nationals. We'll see if there's an uptick once the full ratings report comes in.

BBT also has the advantage where someone who hasn’t followed the show closely could watch just to see how it ends and be able to talk about it. Thrones isn’t the kind of show someone can/would just casually jump into for the finale.

Edited by Ilov80s

2 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

BBT also has the advantage where someone who hasn’t followed the show closely could watch just to see how it ends and be able to talk about it. Thrones isn’t the kind of show someone can/would just casually jump into for the finale.

True, I make a point of watching both the first and last eps of many series. But the ones in the middle I can skip.

44 minutes ago, Scott Tenorman said:

I have never seen an episode of BBT.

#LookAtMe

I’ll get crap for this but I don’t care - it’s pretty funny....and has two hot chicks.

• Like 4

On 5/17/2019 at 12:39 PM, Walking Boot said:

Stunning 

GoT got 19.3 million viewers for the finale. That's a 50% increase from the second to last episode. Huge. 

GoT wins! 

6 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

Stunning 

GoT got 19.3 million viewers for the finale. That's a 50% increase from the second to last episode. Huge. 

GoT wins! 

As expected

BBT was better in the first few seasons.  I haven't seen an episode in 4 years.  Didn't watch either finale... mostly because I've still not had time to even start GoT.  But I'm sure I will someday.

56 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

Yeah, you can't compare the two.

He just did though

BBT had a more satisfying ending to the show. They did a good job.

• Like 4

On 5/20/2019 at 12:19 PM, Walking Boot said:

Stunning 

GoT wins! 

Once DVR watchers who viewed the Big Bang finale within 3 days of the airdate are factored in, BBT back on top with 23.4 million viewers at the moment, but, we'll have to wait to see what the Live+3 for GoT comes in at.... it's a race

8 hours ago, jamny said:

Krepke killed Sheldon?

:popcorn:

Does anyone who truly appreciates GOT actually watch The Big Bang Theory?

11 hours ago, jamny said:

Agree, thought it was well done.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, dickey moe said:

I like both but to be fair I haven’t watched GoT in years because I stupidly thought the fat man would finish the books 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 3:39 PM, dickey moe said:

Define "truly appreciates"?

I watched both.  Enjoyed both series for different reasons. 

Now if Kaley Cuoco, Melissa Rauch, Laura Spencer, Aarti Mann, Riki Lindhome, Margo Harshman and any of the other attractive women went topless and Kripke did violently kill Sheldon, you'd all be watching.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

On 5/21/2019 at 5:39 PM, dickey moe said:

Like B mav asked, what do you mean?

I found GoT entertaining, interesting. But have never paid for HBO so I missed a few episodes and my watching has been out of synch with the fans (mostly caught up on Kodi and when HBO was free but still missed a few episodes). 

But I enjoy BBT as a sitcom. It's not Friends or Seinfeld, but it's on par with how I met your mother and a few others my wife and I can actually watch together.

• Like 2