What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SAT Implementing Social and Economic Score (1 Viewer)

I thought it was up to universities to take this stuff into account.  It actually probably makes a great topic in your letter.  I understand bending the rules for lower income / minorities bit just give them unlimited time or allow them to phone a friend.

Seems like they are asking for a lot of personal info (except race, which will undoubtedly be derived).  They won't monetize that, of course. 😉

Sounds like it's just a way to give more info to schools - adding more value to try to stem the tide of schools going test-optional. 

Sounds like it's just a way to give more info to schools - adding more value to try to stem the tide of schools going test-optional. 
I don't get the whole test optional thing.  Grades can fluctuate wildly between schools, but a straight knowledge test like the SAT seems to be a pretty good barometer for how much someone knows. 

Sorry, you got a perfect score but you live in the wrong zip code so you only get a 1490.  This is like adding a second to a sprinters time because he was born green. Just ridiculous.   
It's not going to have an impact on their score. It's just another factor for the schools to take into account. I am sure it is the schools who want this. 

Sorry, you got a perfect score but you live in the wrong zip code so you only get a 1490.  This is like adding a second to a sprinters time because he was born green. Just ridiculous.   
As others have mentioned, the score isn’t being affected. The headline should be “SAT to provide social and economic demographic data to university admissions offices.”

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get the whole test optional thing.  Grades can fluctuate wildly between schools, but a straight knowledge test like the SAT seems to be a pretty good barometer for how much someone knows. 
On one particular day and without regard to the resources that are available to a particular kid to prepare for that particular test (tutors, classes, etc.).

Seems to integrate quite a bit of subjectivity into what is supposed to be a quantitative exam, no?
They aren't altering the test score.  They are providing context to the conditions the score was earned in.  It's not "Jimmy had a score of 1200 on the test + 200 points based on the portal for a total of 1400"  Rather it's "Jimmy scored 1200 on the test while facing some pretty steep socioeconomic challenges".

alright I heard about this last night and haven't had a chance to delve into this fully, but the headlines states the SAT will assign a new score. Unless that is wrong, it seems to me the scores are being affected.

And rich people are still going to be able to game the system. 

They aren't altering the test score.  They are providing context to the conditions the score was earned in.  It's not "Jimmy had a score of 1200 on the test + 200 points based on the portal for a total of 1400"  Rather it's "Jimmy scored 1200 on the test while facing some pretty steep socioeconomic challenges".
This is what I take issue to.  How are they going to determine this?  Are students now going to be required to put their household income on the tests?  zip codes show nothing.  

Just take the test, the boards should be left out of trying to manipulate this further.

There are more to admissions then just a standardize test score.  the economic challenges that kids have faced can be brought up in an interview or an essay, etc..  

As others have mentioned, the score isn’t being affected. The headline should be “SAT to provide social and economic demographic data to university admissions offices.”
It is the same difference except what the change is is hidden.   Someone from group A needs a 1560 score while someome from Group B only needs a 1280.   Do they actually change the score, no.  But they might as well have.  

My comment had nothing to do about altering the test score. It was meant to critique what you included in the last clause you wrote.

It is the same difference except what the change is is hidden.   Someone from group A needs a 1560 score while someome from Group B only needs a 1280.   Do they actually change the score, no.  But they might as well have.  
I do not agree. Nobody "needs" to do anything. It's entirely up to the university to decide what to do with the info as far as I can tell. If they want to ignore it they can. If a school wants to increase socieconomic diversity and they find this metric to be helpful then what's the problem? 

alright I heard about this last night and haven't had a chance to delve into this fully, but the headlines states the SAT will assign a new score. Unless that is wrong, it seems to me the scores are being affected.

And rich people are still going to be able to game the system. 

This is what I take issue to.  How are they going to determine this?  Are students now going to be required to put their household income on the tests?  zip codes show nothing.  

Just take the test, the boards should be left out of trying to manipulate this further.

There are more to admissions then just a standardize test score.  the economic challenges that kids have faced can be brought up in an interview or an essay, etc..  
The actual test score will not be impacted whatsoever. Attached to each test score will be a number from 1-100. The phrasing on the headline isn't great.

From the article:

"...it focuses on factors like their high school's average senior class size, percentage of students eligible for free and reduce lunches and academic achievement in Advanced Placement classes. A student's environment at home and in his or her neighborhood, like the crime level, the median family income and family stability, will be factors as well."

To me it just reads like another thing for the university to consider. 

On one particular day and without regard to the resources that are available to a particular kid to prepare for that particular test (tutors, classes, etc.).
You can never completely even the playing field and the SAT can be taken multiple times if the kid had a bad day.  Plus there's tons of study material out on the web free of charge. 

I do not agree. Nobody "needs" to do anything. It's entirely up to the university to decide what to do with the info as far as I can tell. If they want to ignore it they can. If a school wants to increase socieconomic diversity and they find this metric to be helpful then what's the problem? 
If a student wants to attend that school, he needs too.  No Asian kid is going to get into an IVY league school without a near-perfect SAT score.  That is not true of other groups.  Of course now they are tracking 'neighborhoods' instead of races to aviod the legal issues, but the bottom line is still discrimination especially against Asians.     

Won't statisticians be able to figure out what the socioeconomic score and the SAT score approximate to over time, and won't college admissions officers use that as the new standard for admission?

I can see this being scaled or normalized over time to serious effect. 

Kids from the same area would have the same score regardless of race, no? Middle class kids from the suburbs will probably bear the brunt of this, but I can't really get too outraged about that, speaking as a middle class kid from the suburbs. It's just another thing for the schools to consider. 

To me it just reads like another thing for the university to consider. 
Right, but if they are considering something else, wouldn't this have impact on the SAT score?  Seems to me it would otherwise why else include it at admissions?

The only thing the SAT is standardized to do is assess the likelihood of success as a college freshman. However, GPA is a more accurate predictor of college success than the SAT so some schools just don’t bother with it. 

In theory, a rigorous, comprehensive nationwide test would be a good barometer to see how much your average high school kid knows. But the SAT is not that. It is a good barometer for the wealth and education level of test-takers' parents. 

It sounds to me like there's a lot of concern that this will somehow be used to advantage kids from less affluent backgrounds, to the detriment of upper middle class white kids.

Just remember that there are 38 colleges that enroll more students from the top 1% ($630,00+ annual income) than the bottom 60% (under $65k).

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/01/18/upshot/some-colleges-have-more-students-from-the-top-1-percent-than-the-bottom-60.html

If colleges are inspired to find a few more deserving poor kids, even if it means my kid doesn't get in to his first choice, I can live with that. My kid is going to end up ok no matter what college he goes to - but the right college can be life-transforming for a kid from a poor background.

My comment had nothing to do about altering the test score. It was meant to critique what you included in the last clause you wrote.
sorry....when you said it was adding subjectivity to the exam, that's how it read.  It's doing nothing to the exam other than providing context to the conditions the student was operating in to learn the info for the exam.

That's what this portal will provide.  It will provide information about the school they are coming from.  Information on the neighborhoods they grew up in.  Information about the economies they live in etc.  

just take the test, the boards should be left out of trying to manipulate this further.
I'm not sure what this means.  This is simply an additional piece of information for admissions offices to look at should they want to know more.  I'm not sure it's even required.  I haven't read that it is.

Sure...but this approach is even more manipulatable than using the portal.

I can get behind this b/c I have been against standardized tests for a long time. I firmly believe that a child's life outside of school directly affects his ability in school. My wife is a teacher and NYS has been trying to pin overall teacher evals on standardized testing. I am not anti-eval, but just looking at the cultural and economical variety of my wife's class, you can tell that a single test cannot accurately gauge a child's learning or a teacher's effectiveness.  

I am fortunate that I can give my children paid for extra help in many areas of education. I also have the flexibility to be home and help my children with homework and assignments, as do prob most here. My wife is a teacher and has a pretty choice schedule and is home when the kids are. however, if you look at my wife's class, few of them have families that are in that type of situation...she has kids who's parents are incarcerated,  single parents, parents who cant hold a teacher meeting b/c they work 2 jobs, and many with no English speaking support at home. These kids no matter how hard they work will generally have a disadvantage to my kids, just like my kids will have a disadvantage to those in much more wealthy families where they can get private tutors and such. 

I have a client who runs an SAT test prep business that is pretty expensive. I doubt many families in my wife's class could hire them. You cannot give every kid the same test and expect every kid to excel at it. 

Really, the schools already get a lot of the information they're talking about here through things like the school report they require from an applicant's guidance office, so they're not looking at scores in a vacuum anyway.  I think the SAT is just trying to market themselves to schools, hoping that in doing some extra legwork for them, they will decide to require applicants to take the SAT (or keep requiring it if they already do).

Of all the schools I've visited with my kids the last few years, not one actually required the SAT - some were test-optional while most would accept the ACT or SAT.

There are a bunch that require SAT subject tests, though.  I didn't notice if this new report goes with them as well, or just the standard test.

SAT is also trying to stay in business. They got their butts handed to them by ACT the last decade or 2. They retooled and relaunched their whole test a couple years ago as well as made it cheaper in an effort to win back the contracts from ACT States.

Phil Elliott said:
Why does SAT want to include this info? The schools know the zip code the applicant is from.
The owners of the SAT test realize the hole that looking at the test without context leaves.  They wanted to help fill that hole.  I think this ultimately resolved if schools didn't put such an emphasis in this sort of testing and actually took to the time to look at the individual students.  I understand that would be incredibly expensive to staff up for and they are trying to walk a tightrope here.

Ilov80s said:
Nexuses universities asked for it and helped them develop it.
Are the universities paying SAT for this information?

Either way, this just seems to be a way of collecting/offering data that probably should be taken into account anyway. I'm not sure I see the harm.

glvsav37 said:
I can get behind this b/c I have been against standardized tests for a long time. I firmly believe that a child's life outside of school directly affects his ability in school. My wife is a teacher and NYS has been trying to pin overall teacher evals on standardized testing. I am not anti-eval, but just looking at the cultural and economical variety of my wife's class, you can tell that a single test cannot accurately gauge a child's learning or a teacher's effectiveness.  

I am fortunate that I can give my children paid for extra help in many areas of education. I also have the flexibility to be home and help my children with homework and assignments, as do prob most here. My wife is a teacher and has a pretty choice schedule and is home when the kids are. however, if you look at my wife's class, few of them have families that are in that type of situation...she has kids who's parents are incarcerated,  single parents, parents who cant hold a teacher meeting b/c they work 2 jobs, and many with no English speaking support at home. These kids no matter how hard they work will generally have a disadvantage to my kids, just like my kids will have a disadvantage to those in much more wealthy families where they can get private tutors and such. 

I have a client who runs an SAT test prep business that is pretty expensive. I doubt many families in my wife's class could hire them. You cannot give every kid the same test and expect every kid to excel at it. 
:goodposting:

My wife, mother and aunt would agree with all this.  The more information these groups have at their disposal the better IMO.  As I said before, I don't think it's a "law" that it has to be used at all.  It's simply going to be provided.  I really don't understand the pushback of providing more information in the decision making process for the schools.

Are the universities paying SAT for this information?

Either way, this just seems to be a way of collecting/offering data that probably should be taken into account anyway. I'm not sure I see the harm.
I’m not 100% sure. I think most of their revenue is from States paying to have all their students take the test. They have large contracts with the States. They also spend a lot of money lobbying to convince States to force their students to take the SAT. Of course they have to have good relationship with colleges because of colleges stop wanting the test, SAT is in trouble.

Seems like the SAT & ACT tests are the academic equivalent of the NFL Combine.

It's a way of sorting through applicants, conducting personality "interviews", and confirming what was seen on the field/classroom.

It's also the Facebook model of selling collected personal information... Which feels kind of yucky.

Seems like the SAT & ACT tests are the academic equivalent of the NFL Combine.

It's a way of sorting through applicants, conducting personality "interviews", and confirming what was seen on the field/classroom.

It's also the Facebook model of selling collected personal information... Which feels kind of yucky.
Yep. As a teacher, I am not a fan of it. 

The Commish said:
Context to and try and quell the strawmen already being built.

“By having more data like the kinds of things presented in the Dashboard, it allowed us to rely less on stereotypes, assumptions, or incomplete data and more on hard facts and statistics.”

I find this somewhat weird as I think it is mostly flipped. It's really taking more data in order to re-inforce stereotypes and assumptions.

I'm not saying that they're wrong in doing so, but that's sure what it seems to me that they're doing.

bigbottom said:
Well that won't make me click the link...

Users who are viewing this thread