What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Iconic songs from each decade? (1 Viewer)

Galileo

Footballguy
A spin off from the thread where Otis wants to throw away a decade of music.  This is not about your favorite song.  This is about what pops into your mind when you hear the decade...the song that just represents so much of what was happening with music in that decade.  This probably needs more of a genre breakdown, but I'm sticking with the decade thing.

50's - Hound Dog - Elvis.  Has to be the King, right?

60's - I Want to Hold Your Hand - Beatles.  This is the song the Beatles played to cap off their storied Ed Sullivan appearance.  The British invasion had begun.

70's - Staying Alive - Bee Gees.  Disco is not my thing, but who doesn't think of Disco in the 70's.  I was rocking to Zepplin, Stones, Floyd, The Who, AC/DC, etc... (yeah, a lot of 60's overlap).  But Disco was king and Saturday Night Fever was the rage. 

80's - Like a Virgin - Madonna.  This was a tough selection for me...so many options...so many styles.  A lot going on in the 80's.  The rock, the pop, the one hit wonders, videos...  Again, not one of my favorite songs or artists,  but Madonna encapsulates the look and sound of what pops into my mind from the 80's. 

90's - Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana.  Hard not to think about Grunge with the 90's and Kurt was right in the middle of it all.

00's - I can't even come up with anything here as I sort of tuned out of new music...Something from Eminem? 50 Cent? Kanye?  Hip was surging.  Something from Kelly Clarkson?  American Idol burst on the scene.   Boy Bands - more 90's perhaps??   I'll let others more in tune with this decade chime in and convince me of what belongs here.

10's - See 00's  (I'm more clueless about this than 00's)

What are your most iconic songs?  

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I am just listing the 1st thing that pops into my head. As you said, it does not represent my favorites; rather my initial impulse.

50's - Blueberry Hill - Fats Domino = my pop's favorite artist and song - I heard it a lot

60's - See Emily Play - Pink Floyd = I dunno why...just 1st thing that popped in.

70's - Kashmir - Zep = represents a mix of my love of music and fantasy that began at this time

80's - Invisible Sun - The Police = played this at the party after we won the city baseball championship in '82.

90's - U2 - One = final college days track

00's - Man of Constant Sorrow - Soggy Bottom Boys - O Brother Where Art Thou = Surprise, surprise!

10's - Nothing jumps ahead of others in this decade - tho I like lots here.

Ultimately kind of impossible because of varying styles. 90s would need Teen Spirit, California Love and Oops I Did It Again to really touch on all the music that was defining of the decade.

Also I think the 50s could be a jazz song or Sinatra song just as easily as Elvis.

Ultimately kind of impossible because I of varying styles. 90s would need Teen Spirit, California Love and Oops I Did It Again to really touch on all the music that was defining of the decade.

Also I think the 50s could be a jazz song or Sinatra song just as easily as Elvis.
Don't care what you think... 😀

Ultimately kind of impossible because of varying styles. 90s would need Teen Spirit, California Love and Oops I Did It Again to really touch on all the music that was defining of the decade.

My Way immediately popped in my head. 

An impossible task. Like wikkid said in the decade thread, popular music isn't seamless by decade. No way the Beatles define the Woodstock era with I Want To Hold Your Hand. This isn't to criticize the OP -- it's neat to think about, just impossible. 

An impossible task. Like wikkid said in the decade thread, popular music isn't seamless by decade. No way the Beatles define the Woodstock era with I Want To Hold Your Hand. This isn't to criticize the OP -- it's neat to think about, just impossible. 
WHAT?

What's so impossible bout list'n what pops into ya noggin?

Unless, there is no pop'n or noggin!

😜

OK, I am just listing the 1st thing that pops into my head. As you said, it does not represent my favorites; rather my initial impulse.

50's - Blueberry Hill - Fats Domino = my pop's favorite artist and song - I heard it a lot

60's - See Emily Play - Pink Floyd = I dunno why...just 1st thing that popped in.

70's - Kashmir - Zep = represents a mix of my love of music and fantasy that began at this time

80's - Invisible Sun - The Police = played this at the party after we won the city baseball championship in '82.

90's - U2 - One = final college days track

00's - Man of Constant Sorrow - Soggy Bottom Boys - O Brother Where Art Thou = Surprise, surprise!

10's - Nothing jumps ahead of others in this decade - tho I like lots here.
Blueberry Hill... I think of Richie Cunningham singing this on Happy Days decades later reinforcing this choice.

Good idea with the links.  I should add some to my list.

All fair points.   Of the songs that were popping into my head my list are the ones that I decided most captured the feel of the time period.  I see no reason why we can't have multiple lists which cover a variety of iconic songs.   

All fair points.   Of the songs that were popping into my head my list are the ones that I decided most captured the feel of the time period.  I see no reason why we can't have multiple lists which cover a variety of iconic songs.   
Yeah. I agree.

Sorry rock...I was just having fun.

Seriously, I view this like a Rorschach test. Shut down that left brain and engage the right...see where it goes.

:shrug:

Plus, I think iconic is relative - just as music.

I get the need to objectify, but I don't feel that need myself.

EDIT: yeah - I know iconic means "widely" - but how wide?

Am I wide enough? I don't know.

Is @wikkidpissah? Maybe.

Plus, I think iconic is relative - just as music.

I get the need to objectify, but I don't feel that need myself.

EDIT: yeah - I know iconic means "widely" - but how wide?

Am I wide enough? I don't know.

Is @wikkidpissah? Maybe.
Agreed.  I eliminated "Most" from the thread title.  Maybe that is what scared folks.  Now it is just "iconic songs".  The restraints have been lifted.

A spin off from the thread where Otis wants to throw away a decade of music.  This is not about your favorite song.  This is about what pops into your mind when you hear the decade...the song that just represents so much of what was happening with music in that decade.  This probably needs more of a genre breakdown, but I'm sticking with the decade thing.

50's - Hound Dog - Elvis.  Has to be the King, right?

60's - I Want to Hold Your Hand - Beatles.  This is the song the Beatles played to cap off their storied Ed Sullivan appearance.  The British invasion had begun.

70's - Staying Alive - Bee Gees.  Disco is not my thing, but who doesn't think of Disco in the 70's.  I was rocking to Zepplin, Stones, Floyd, The Who, AC/DC, etc... (yeah, a lot of 60's overlap).  But Disco was king and Saturday Night Fever was the rage. 

80's - Like a Virgin - Madonna.  This was a tough selection for me...so many options...so many styles.  A lot going on in the 80's.  The rock, the pop, the one hit wonders, videos...  Again, not one of my favorite songs or artists,  but Madonna encapsulates the look and sound of what pops into my mind from the 80's. 

90's - Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana.  Hard not to think about Grunge with the 90's and Kurt was right in the middle of it all.

00's - I can't even come up with anything here as I sort of tuned out of new music...Something from Eminem? 50 Cent? Kanye?  Hip was surging.  Something from Kelly Clarkson?  American Idol burst on the scene.   Boy Bands - more 90's perhaps??   I'll let others more in tune with this decade chime in and convince me of what belongs here.

10's - See 00's  (I'm more clueless about this than 00's)

What are your most iconic songs?  
Very good choices. I think i might swap like a virgin for billie jean.

I can see people wanting a rock song for the 70s but i cant say staying alive is not iconic

Very good choices. I think i might swap like a virgin for billie jean.

I can see people wanting a rock song for the 70s but i cant say staying alive is not iconic
Another good choice.  I actually debated in my head between this and Like a Virgin.  Both fit the bill.

50's Tutti Frutti - Little Richard

60's House of the Rising Sun - Animals 

70's Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen (been in a lot of people's heads lately)

80's Master of Puppets - Metallica

90's Heart Shaped Box - Nirvana (Easy to go Teen spirit but to me HSB captured Nirvana's unique sound more)

00's Stan - Eminem

10's Happy - Pharell

Damn...how do you nest those quotes?
I select the entire text - all posters - with my cursor, then the option to "quote" appears. Sometimes, I will have to right-click on the selected text though & then the quote options is sometimes hidden. It's not always easy...especially on my phone.

Also, it can be done manually, by placing your cursor where you want the quote to appear & then doing it the standard way. For example, quote me - then place your cursor inside my quote, and then quote again.

I think...glllll

90's Heart Shaped Box - Nirvana (Easy to go Teen spirit but to me HSB captured Nirvana's unique sound more)

00's Stan - Eminem

10's Happy - Pharell
Nice.

00's Stan - Eminem

10's Happy - Pharell
Metallica and Animals are way off imo 

Users who are viewing this thread