What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Iconic songs from each decade? (1 Viewer)

70s Star Wars

80s Cheers

90s Stone Cold Steve Austin

00s Spongebob Squarepants (started 99 but yeah)

10s Game of Thrones
That’s good. 50s: The Third Man, 60s: Moon River from Breakfast at Tiffany’s

or 50s:Vertigo, 60s: Bond theme

Last edited by a moderator:
If you’re gonna put theme songs in the mix, there’s absolutely no way to avoid the Friends theme for the 90s; dang thing made regular radio play during their run 
Yeah it's probably 1, but I'm not gonna let the chance slip me by... :whistle:

Heart Will Go On as well.

I'm going to give my top contenders for each decade and brief reasoning

50s - Hound Dog, Jailhouse Rock  (this is definitely an Elvis song)

60s - I want to Hold Your Hand, My Girl, The Way You Look Tonight    (Rat Pack, Motown, Vietnam War, Beatles....Iconic rich)

70s - Stairway to Heaven, Staying Alive, Sweet Home Alabama (Disco vs. Classic Rock)

80s - Billie Jean, Don't You Forget About Me, Welcome to the Jungle (black America picks Mike, White America picks Brat Pack or Metal)

90s - Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nuthin But a G Thang (two horse race, Grunge vs. 90s Hip Hop)

2000s - In Da Club, Lose Yourself, Crazy in Love (Urban Music takes over, rock is dead)

10s - Rolling in the Deep, We Found Love (Music Genres are Dead)

I think Billie Jean or Thriller are more "iconic"

For the 80s I think Black America definitely takes a MJ song...my vote would be Billie Jean.

White America picks a brat pack song "Don't You Forget About Me" or a metal song like "Welcome to the Jungle"

60s - I want to Hold Your Hand, My Girl, The Way You Look Tonight    (Rat Pack, Motown, Vietnam War, Beatles....Iconic rich)

70s - Stairway to Heaven, Staying Alive, Sweet Home Alabama (Disco vs. Classic Rock)

80s - Billie Jean, Don't You Forget About Me, Welcome to the Jungle (black America picks Mike, White America picks Brat Pack or Metal)

90s - Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nuthin But a G Thang (two horse race, Grunge vs. 90s Hip Hop)

2000s - In Da Club, Lose Yourself, Crazy in Love (Urban Music takes over, rock is dead)

I was thinking Heard it Through the Grapevine for Motown

50's Tutti Frutti - Little Richard

60's House of the Rising Sun - Animals 

70's Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen (been in a lot of people's heads lately)

80's Master of Puppets - Metallica

90's Heart Shaped Box - Nirvana (Easy to go Teen spirit but to me HSB captured Nirvana's unique sound more)

00's Stan - Eminem

10's Happy - Pharell
"House" was the first song i seen bring out the nachul gangsta in kids, so nice choice

Great list.  Only thing I’d add is Living on a Prayer to the 80s.

Just driving around today on a sunny Saturday and listening to the radio. Two Nirvana songs came on in two different stations within the ten minutes or so I was in the car. Nirvana -- not just because of this but because of all the seventeen year-olds wearing their t-shirts, too -- is definitely the iconic '90s band. 

Just driving around today on a sunny Saturday and listening to the radio. Two Nirvana songs came on in two different stations within the ten minutes or so I was in the car. Nirvana -- not just because of this but because of all the seventeen year-olds wearing their t-shirts, too -- is definitely the iconic '90s band. 
Band for sure. The one 90s musical artist that I see on more kids t-shirts than Nirvana is this guy.  

these speak to my most vivid connection to each decade -

Fifties genesis of rock n' roll menace

Sixties who knew hippies could be this frighteningly toxic - proto goth/horror punk - my first ever babysitter played the #### outta this - she would go on to axe her husband to death

Seventies first night time drive into the City with my dad to see the Rock Center tree, was playing on WCBS FM as we first saw all those lights, best night of my childhood 

Eighties for my ex, Cristina - playing first time she hopped in my car

Nineties aaaand for when we split and she became the lil' Goth Queen of The Limelight  (extended version wif lyrics)

Aughts met them in the Bill a few months prior to their big breakout, along with these guys ...whodathunk a ramshackle 'hood where we'd risk our lives to score blow at 4 a.m. would become the Haight Ashbury of the Hipster scene 

these speak to my most vivid connection to each decade -

Fifties genesis of rock n' roll menace

Sixties who knew hippies could be this frighteningly toxic - proto goth/horror punk - my first ever babysitter played the #### outta this - she would go on to axe her husband to death

Seventies first night time drive into the City with my dad to see the Rock Center tree, was playing on WCBS FM as we first saw all those lights, best night of my childhood 

Eighties for my ex, Cristina - playing first time she hopped in my car

Nineties aaaand for when we split and she became the lil' Goth Queen of The Limelight  (extended version wif lyrics)

Aughts met them in the Bill a few months prior to their big breakout, along with these guys ...whodathunk a ramshackle 'hood where we'd risk our lives to score blow at 4 a.m. would become the Haight Ashbury of the Hipster scene 
I especially like the 60s choice. Captures the dark side of the counter culture so well. We could almost look at each decade through a few social lenses: what was the mainstream song for the adults or the squares? What was the song of the cool- the youth movement? What is the song people see as stereotypical or as you’ve noted, what song captures the dark side that existed in every movement that has been lost to nostalgia?

I especially like the 60s choice. Captures the dark side of the counter culture so well. We could almost look at each decade through a few social lenses: what was the mainstream song for the adults or the squares? What was the song of the cool- the youth movement? What is the song people see as stereotypical or as you’ve noted, what song captures the dark side that existed in every movement that has been lost to nostalgia?
timely thoughts here, seeing as how we're a scant 3 months away from the 50th anniversary of Charlie and fam - HELTER SKELTER - 

folks always point to that, and, to a lesser exrent, Altamont, as the death knell for the whole "peace/love/dope" phenomenon/movement (i believe Kent St. merits inclusion, as well).

as i mentioned, my first ever babysitter, Colleen, was in love with the Airplane ... whenever she was watching us there were a ton of her friends around ... and they all loved Janis and Jimi and the Dead and the Airplane and the Doors and the Stones - they all hated the Beatles and the Who and Floyd - they also dug some Zep too, if i recall. 

and that crew of hers was rough ... they were far from the lovey/dovey peace sign flashing ilk - there were some legit criminal psychos up in that cabal of cannabis kooks - yeah, all they did was smoke weed ... drank a ####load, too, but - man, were they stoners. 

she wound up killing her husband in the early 80s, a few others were in and outta jail for decades ... and quite a few (at least 10, iirc) died of drug related tragedies in the 70s - they moved on to much harder ####, the mid to late 70s saw a flood of H hit our 'hood.  

so that's how i remember "hippies" and "counter culture" ... and when they played that song, man, it was scary #### to friggin' 4 or 5 year old - it sounded like Barnabas Collins looked (yep, big "Dark Shadows fan was she, and the mutha####er gave me the chills)

i saw very little, if any,  "peace/love", but i did see a TON of the "dope" end of the equation - there was plenty of darkness swirling about, was a very disturbing time in our history. 

A spin off from the thread where Otis wants to throw away a decade of music.  This is not about your favorite song.  This is about what pops into your mind when you hear the decade...the song that just represents so much of what was happening with music in that decade.  This probably needs more of a genre breakdown, but I'm sticking with the decade thing.

50's - Hound Dog - Elvis.  Has to be the King, right?

60's - I Want to Hold Your Hand - Beatles.  This is the song the Beatles played to cap off their storied Ed Sullivan appearance.  The British invasion had begun.

70's - Staying Alive - Bee Gees.  Disco is not my thing, but who doesn't think of Disco in the 70's.  I was rocking to Zepplin, Stones, Floyd, The Who, AC/DC, etc... (yeah, a lot of 60's overlap).  But Disco was king and Saturday Night Fever was the rage. 

80's - Like a Virgin - Madonna.  This was a tough selection for me...so many options...so many styles.  A lot going on in the 80's.  The rock, the pop, the one hit wonders, videos...  Again, not one of my favorite songs or artists,  but Madonna encapsulates the look and sound of what pops into my mind from the 80's. 

90's - Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana.  Hard not to think about Grunge with the 90's and Kurt was right in the middle of it all.

00's - I can't even come up with anything here as I sort of tuned out of new music...Something from Eminem? 50 Cent? Kanye?  Hip was surging.  Something from Kelly Clarkson?  American Idol burst on the scene.   Boy Bands - more 90's perhaps??   I'll let others more in tune with this decade chime in and convince me of what belongs here.

10's - See 00's  (I'm more clueless about this than 00's)

What are your most iconic songs?  
50s; Johnny Be Goode- Chuck Berry

60s;  Twist and Shout- Beatles

70s; Staying Alive- Bee Gees

80s; Billie Jean- Michael Jackson

90s; Macarena- Los Del Rio

00s; SexyBack- Justin Timberlake and Timbaland

10s; Wake Me Up- Avicii and Aloe Black

Some songs that pop in my head that haven't been listed yet for the decades.

50s - At the Hop -  Danny & The Juniors -  Sock hops and soda shops. This song has the vibe of the time.

60s - Get Together - The Youngbloods -  This song was recorded by others, but The Youngbloods version was the most popular. I think it really captures the Summer of Love .

70s - What's Going On - Marvin Gaye -  Everything about this song and album is iconic.

80s - So. Central Rain (I'm Sorry) - REM - I was in college during this time, and REM were the kings of college radio. 

90s - Alive - Pearl Jam - This rockin' song helped kick off the early 90's, and helped define a genre called grunge.

00s - Rehab - Amy Winehouse - This song put her on the map. She was original and a powerhouse.

10s - Rolling in the Deep - Adele - Her most popular song that brought her a big pay day.

The nineties give way to Napster, Grokster, Limewire, and SoundCloud.

https://www.theringer.com/music/2019/5/16/18623947/backstreet-boys-millennium-20th-anniversary-boy-bands-nsync

"Millennium is not, in full, an undiscovered classic, but that’s in part a testament to how many millions of die-hard fans so immediately and passionately discovered it back in May ’99. Twenty years on, it mostly just sounds like money, and money burning. Which offers a very specific sort of warmth, bathed in a very specific sort of glow."

'80s was the decade of the one-hit wonder. I'd go with either I Ran by Flock of Seagulls, You Spin Me Round by Dead or Alive, or Take on Me by a-ha.

Spin. It’s not nearly as good of a song and I don’t think it’s anywhere near as popular. 
It's iconic for me. But then my '80s experience was 100% pop. Even Simple Minds wouldn't even make my radar because it wasn't pop *enough* for me. But I can't see myself ever getting sick of Spin.

What would be your pick for most iconic '80s pop one-hit-wonder? (Please don't say VKTRS.)

It's iconic for me. But then my '80s experience was 100% pop. Even Simple Minds wouldn't even make my radar because it wasn't pop *enough* for me. But I can't see myself ever getting sick of Spin.

What would be your pick for most iconic '80s pop one-hit-wonder? (Please don't say VKTRS.)
Take On Me for sure. That video really adds to it

otb_lifer said:
These pretty much are the iconic BKNY bands of that era, and BKNY was undergoing a renaissance. I happen to love both bands, and both really did it for me. 

80s - Don't You Forget About Me

And it's not particularly close.
Not sure if many people know the rumored history of Don't You Forget About Me. One version of what happened is that the song was written with the intent for Billy Idol to record it. (It was written by his producer.) He later released his version on one of his greatest hits compilations.

Other accounts of what happened included the song being turned down by Bryan Ferry and then by The Fixx. At one point the record label wanted it to be sung by Corey Hart. Simple Minds initially was not interested in recording the song because they only wanted to record songs that they had written. Lead singer Jim Kerr didn't love the lyrics and eventually was persuaded by his wife at the time (Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders), and the band reluctantly recorded it in only three hours. They didn't love the song to begin with, didn't love the recording when they completed it, and they mostly forgot about it and went back to recording the album they were working on at the time.

The song was recorded in November 1984 and released in England 6 months later. The single charted in the UK for the remainder of 1985, all of 1986, and a portion of 1987, making it one of the longest running singles in the British singles charts.

50's - Johnny B Goode/Rock Around the Clock

60's - Hey Jude/Good Vibrations

70's - American Pie/Stairway To Heaven

80's - Beat It/Summer of 69

90's - Smells Like Teen Spirit/Baby One More Time

00's - With Arms Wide Open/Single Ladies

10's - Rolling In The Deep/Shake It Off

50's - Johnny B Goode/Rock Around the Clock

60's - Hey Jude/Good Vibrations

70's - American Pie/Stairway To Heaven

80's - Beat It/Summer of 69

90's - Smells Like Teen Spirit/Baby One More Time

00's - With Arms Wide Open/Single Ladies

10's - Rolling In The Deep/Shake It Off
Good choice here.  I wasn't around during the 50's to enjoy these tunes (probably like most around here) but growing up watching Happy Days firmly planted this song in my mind as one of the iconic 50's tunes.

50s - So What?, Miles Davis

60s - Purple Haze, Jimi Hendrix

70s - Roundabout, Yes

80s - 1999, Prince

90s - I Can't Make You Love Me, Bonnie Raitt

00s - Hey Ya, Outkast

10s - Happy, Pharrell Williams

Users who are viewing this thread