What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you relax? (1 Viewer)

comfortably numb

Footballguy
I'm pretty sure i have some sort of ADD issues but i don't think i know how to relax.

I'm 40 and have never taken a nap.

When im on the beach i say im gonna enjoy the sounds of the ocean....3 min later I'm looking at women in bikinis and pissed off i can't find the pringles.

I come out to my yard to relax with a drink and cigar but im usually on the phone or dropping ashes on my shirt.

I love sitting around a fire maybe the closest i can say that relaxes me....3 min later im chopping more wood and playing with the fire.

I can relax on the couch but I'm flipping through channels and messing around on my phone. 

I can go out for a run but i have my music on, waving at people and checking out he ladies or trying not to trip over my dog.

Stargazing? I don't think i do much other stuff when I've done some stargazing...

IDK, i hear people talking about doing relaxing things all the time but i usually find myself doing multiple things during my "relaxing time"

Do you people actually relax? Am i relaxing and don't realize i am relaxing?

I'm pretty sure i have some sort of ADD issues but i don't think i know how to relax.

When im on the beach i say im gonna enjoy the sounds of the ocean....3 min later I'm looking at women in bikinis and pissed off i can't find the pringles.

I come out to my yard to relax with a drink and cigar but im usually on the phone or dropping ashes on my shirt.

I love sitting around a fire maybe the closest i can say that relaxes me....3 min later im chopping more wood and playing with the fire.

I can relax on the couch but I'm flipping through channels and messing around on my phone. 

I can go out for a run but i have my music on, waving at people and checking out he ladies or trying not to trip over my dog.

Stargazing? I don't think i do much other stuff when I've done some stargazing...

IDK, i hear people talking about doing relaxing things all the time but i usually find myself doing multiple things during my "relaxing time"

Same, but without the ogling or the cigars.  

Hiking

Sitting at the pool drinking a beer 

Sitting around a fire drinking a bourbon

Sitting on the beach under an umbrella watching the waves and drinking a beer

Last edited by a moderator:
Relaxing for me is zoning out at a TV watching a show/game or on a phone surfing the web.   When I book a massage twice a year that is a relaxing hour.

Any other time besides these though I’m in get life done efficiently and take care of business mode.  

I don’t understand why being on your phone, watching women in bikinis, playing with a fire, or waving at people can’t be relaxing.  Well, perhaps I get the phone part if you’re seeing things that stress you out. If so, stop that!

Relaxing isn’t meditating. (Unless meditation is your thing.) 

I'm very much like OP.  I can't focus long enough to enjoy books, or movies, and I constantly have to be on my phone.  Looking up stuff, researching something, playing clash Royale...  Getting high actually has the opposite effect on me as most people.  Instead of sitting around watching TV I work out or do stuff.

The only time I can really unplug and enjoy myself is on the golf course. It’s a trigger to just go play and forget about work/family/business. 

Music and running, which is one reason I usually listen to music when I run. 

Occassionally I'm too stressed for that to work and need a neat pour of something brown, but it's my usual normalizer. 

For me--lying down in my bed with my ipad.  Listening/watching to podcasts/videos on youtube--or even just listening to music from one of my playlists.  I actually have a playlist that I have labelled as being "chilling out".   I tend to have spouts when I battle insomnia--and about a year ago--one of my buddies recommended that I try taking a very low dose thc cannibus edible.  The first time I tried--it didn't make me fall asleep--but it did put me in a relaxed state without feeling ineffective or high.  

Sounds like you need to find a hobby you enjoy..
To relax I do the following:

None Computer stuff...
Vineyard management and Wine Making, Photography, Pyrography, Hiking, Cross Country Skiing, reading books .. and yea, even Mowing..
Last one probably sounds weird, but we have over 2 1/2 acres and a riding Lawn Tractor..
I put on some music and for 2 1/2 to 3 hours just enjoy the ride and the music... :drive:  

Computer:
Game - Civilization, Creating Maps of the Fishing areas in Canada that we created using AutoChart, Editing Videos and Pictures.

Sitting on the beach under an umbrella watching the waves and drinking a beer

You guys need to add a fishing pole to the mix. I get bored at the beach after about an hour, but toss a rod out there and I can stare at it for hours. In fact, just this Saturday I was on the beach for 16 straight hours doing just that. Few things in life are more exciting than seeing your fishing pole bend over and pulling in a big fish from the surf.  :fishing:

It's hard to relax, but I don't have the ADD symptoms like the OP.  Usually when I try to relax, I'm stressed about wasting my time as there is always something productive to be done.

Doing a mindless chore on the weekend (mowing the lawn for example) is relaxing to me.  I try to tell myself that playing video games is a way I relax, but I more often just get frustrated playing them, so it really doesn't relax me.

When I can get together with neighbors in the summer, have some drinks around the bonfire on a weekend evening, no problems relaxing then.  We are re-doing our backyard to take out our pool and put in a fire pit.  Hopefully that leads to relaxing in this manner on a more regular basis during the summer.

You guys need to add a fishing pole to the mix. I get bored at the beach after about an hour, but toss a rod out there and I can stare at it for hours. In fact, just this Saturday I was on the beach for 16 straight hours doing just that. Few things in life are more exciting than seeing your fishing pole bend over and pulling in a big fish from the surf.  :fishing:
Oh man

I don't know how to fish and been telling my kids for the last.....6 years i will take them fishing.

Thats a good one.

Oh man

I don't know how to fish and been telling my kids for the last.....6 years i will take them fishing.

Thats a good one.
It's not rocket surgery and even the most experienced get skunked from time to time. You can catch some sort of fish from the (east coast) surf anytime from April - October. Let me know where/when you're going and I'll give you some tips. 🐟

vape a bowl of whatever herb ive purchased for the week at approx 930-10pm every single evening. laying on the couch w some seasoned peanuts, and just scrolling news / watching tv.

I'm very much like you.  I've found that a lot of this is just pent up energy.  The more I work out, the easier it is for me to relax.

I've also enjoyed the 10% happier meditation app - I've slacked on it recently, but it's helped.

Oddly enough, when I was depressed, I had a lot of the same issues.

Best thing I would do is turn my phone off and put it away, out of reach.  Then, I'd just take a drive or walk somewhere with few people.  A lot of times, my mind would start to go bananas and I felt like a caged animal.  Eventually, I'd settle down and just be able to relax with my own thoughts.

Now, all I have to do is sit in silence for like 10 minutes and I feel very refreshed.

Getting away from all internet, TV and radio access is the key, imo.

20 minutes in a 180+ degree sauna, immediately into the cold shower (I know it sounds crazy) and you will feel as calm as a gentle breeze for the next 4-8 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread