What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Late Round Best Ball WR Targets (1 Viewer)

TripItUp

Footballguy
Here's three that I've been drafting after round 12 in FFPC and DRAFT best balls.

Valdez Scantling - Packers #3 WR and IMHO more upside than the hyped Geronimo Allison

Donte Moncrief - Steelers Targets up for grabs and Moncrief has flashed

Kenny Stills - nowhere to go but up for this offense and Stills

Last edited by a moderator:
ESB is my preferred Packers WR to target in best ball

John Brown

Anthony Miller

Ted Ginn Jr

Justin Watson

Maruice Harris

Dede Westbrook

No clue at their ADP's but I imagine they're all late enough for flier status

ESB is my preferred Packers WR to target in best ball
Agreed, especially at his ADP.

Late wr picks I've liked in the mocks: 

D Johnson, Pitt. Yeah he's a rookie but I'm watching him late in the year

Paris Campbell . Same

Goodwin - competition was brought in, but he could pay off. Much cheaper than Pettis (who I do prefer straight up)

Humphries. Yeah, MM gets heat. But I think he missed a veteran wr last year.

Dem Thomas. If he sticks in NE and stays healthy, huge potential for a veteran player with a HOF QB.

D Johnson, Pitt. Yeah he's a rookie but I'm watching him late in the year
I agree with this, but he is a "catch" guy and I like him quite a bit long term -- perhaps as soon as year 2.

But James Washington is notoriously a deep guy. And in best ball for this year Im leaning to JW for some 3-4 catch and hefty yardage spikes. Timing with Ben is key.

I agree with this, but he is a "catch" guy and I like him quite a bit long term -- perhaps as soon as year 2.

But James Washington is notoriously a deep guy. And in best ball for this year Im leaning to JW for some 3-4 catch and hefty yardage spikes. Timing with Ben is key.
JW is going round 10ish which is good value IMHO...

Here's three that I've been drafting after round 12 in FFPC and DRAFT best balls.

Valdez Scantling - Packers #3 WR and IMHO more upside than the hyped Geronimo Allison

Donte Moncrief - Steelers Targets of for grabs and Moncrief has flashed

Kenny Stills - nowhere to go but up for this offense and Stills
I like these. Also add Marqise Lee who you can get in the last round of a MFL10. I got Cole Beasley in round 19 also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think he overtakes Valdez? 
Yes.  The first 4 weeks he had 0 snaps other than special teams.  Starting with week 5 here are his snap, 74%, 49%, 12%, 20%, 58%, 88%, 68%, 20%, 52%, 62%, 43%.

While I was looking at that, it seemed that when MVS's snaps went down Kumerow's went up while ESB's stayed roughly the same.  Snap count isn't everything but he got a lot of playing time and that at least shows some faith from the coaching staff.  He didn't turn it into much which gives me some pause and worries me he turns into someone like Chad Williams who averaged around a 70% snap share and less than 200 yards.  But I think it's a lot about the trust that Rodgers needs in guys to throw to them.  We saw it with Jordy all the time during his career there, we're seeing it now with Davante.  

Kumerow was rumored to have gained that trust and Rodgers was begging the team to get him on the field more so maybe he's the next "reliable" guy (also a good bestball guy), but I'm fond of ESB personally.  

Rookies are usually overdrafted, dont you think? I haven't noticed where Deebos been going though.
No, often they are underdrafted because of the whole unproven bit.

The Niners don't have much at WR and there's a good argument that Deebo is their best talent there.

I don't think his play style will require a long adjustment to the NFL.

I haven't looked at redraft ADP yet, but I'm guessing his ADP is so low that he's essentially found money. Well worth a shot.

Sounds strange but in best ball I wouldn't mind have the Miami trio of Kenny Stills, Albert Wilson, and Jakeem Grant. All are inexpensive and offer huge plays on any given week. 

EBF said:
No, often rookies are underdrafted because of the whole unproven bit.
A lot of wide receivers bust, not sure the percentage but its high. So usually I will only take an unproven receiver late in a draft when there aren't any reliable veterans available; and rarely get rookies.

Assuming a receiver is a hit, what year do they usually start to produce, respecting age or experience? How often is it year 1 vs year 2 vs year 3? By my estimation, and I'm really just assuming, a receiver has the same likelihood of breaking out his 2nd year as his 1st.

So yeah, I mostly end up with a few 2nd or 3rd year guys because the rookies are already gone by then in the draft.

Mohamed Sanu
Marqise Lee
Quincy Enunwa
I feel like their ceilings aren’t high enough for me to take those shots.  It depends on my roster but if I feel I’m lacking some “safer” option then definitely Sanu is a guy I’d target.  Otherwise I’d shoot for more risks. 

I feel like their ceilings aren’t high enough for me to take those shots.  It depends on my roster but if I feel I’m lacking some “safer” option then definitely Sanu is a guy I’d target.  Otherwise I’d shoot for more risks. 
Ceilings are way less important in best ball leagues than in regular leagues. Average expectations matter way more.

Even safe WR5 types have week-to-week upside, with a few 5/80/1 type games where best ball will put them into your lineup as a solid starter for the week.

Also, you can't churn your roster. If the guy who you draft barely sees the field all year, he is also stuck on your roster, taking up a slot that could be contributing something.

Demarcus Robinson, Moncrief, JJAW (yeah that's right I said it), Deebo (I think he is going 12th to 16th in MFL10s but not sure), Daeshawn Hamilton, AJ Brown, Marquise Brown & Boykin if you can afford to stack them, Devante Parker (I don't think it's outrageous in best ball and he can be had in the 18th round). Ok that's a lot of rookies but on winnable depth charts. 

Ceilings are way less important in best ball leagues than in regular leagues. Average expectations matter way more.

Even safe WR5 types have week-to-week upside, with a few 5/80/1 type games where best ball will put them into your lineup as a solid starter for the week.

Also, you can't churn your roster. If the guy who you draft barely sees the field all year, he is also stuck on your roster, taking up a slot that could be contributing something.
Agree on the part about protecting the roster spot - you have to be careful.  For every flier you take, you have to expect at least two injuries (so that is three spots if the guy can't get on the field).  I am not saying not to take a flier, but to take more than one is risky - I like the group posted above of Enunwau, Sanu and Lee.  Each will find their way on the field, and I actually like enunwa's upside.  He was recovering from injury last year, and it is too early to write him off as a potential 1k guy. 

A lot of wide receivers bust, not sure the percentage but its high. So usually I will only take an unproven receiver late in a draft when there aren't any reliable veterans available; and rarely get rookies.

Assuming a receiver is a hit, what year do they usually start to produce, respecting age or experience? How often is it year 1 vs year 2 vs year 3? By my estimation, and I'm really just assuming, a receiver has the same likelihood of breaking out his 2nd year as his 1st.

So yeah, I mostly end up with a few 2nd or 3rd year guys because the rookies are already gone by then in the draft.
Everyones experience is different.

From my perspective many savy drafters avoid rookie WR for the most part because of the high bust rate you mention.

So I typically find myself in a position to take shots on rookie WR who I think can score early in their careers.

This worked fantastic for me in 2014. Not as well since then. They are more likely to produce in their 2nd or 3rd season than their rookie season. Its a risk.

I agree with EBF in regards to Samuels opportunity in SF. He wins a lot of high percentage throws that should quickly translate to him producing this year and he has a good shot to lead their team in receptions, even as a rookie.

Adding Jaron Brown

Running with the starters, gets TDs and is going undrafted in 28 round FFPC drafts.

All over this guy. He seemed to have good chemistry with Big Ben last year. Dude just goes up and gets it.

If Moncrief was a true threat, he wouldn't keep bouncing from team to team. I like the Rookie as well but you can't roster everybody.

Donte Moncrief - Steelers Targets up for grabs and Moncrief has flashed
Fear of losing job? Fear of hearing from the coach? Moncrief has looked stiff the last two years. No WR is any good when they get to that point. I could see the flier here (I like Hunter for this but...) but I'd recommend being ready to drop him if he looks all stiff in preseason. It's not that uncommon and a good sort of rule to follow for dynasty. The guy is not going to produce much if he is not comfy and being himself. If he makes you think of soldiers marching with how stiff his back is, move on

All over this guy. He seemed to have good chemistry with Big Ben last year. Dude just goes up and gets it.

If Moncrief was a true threat, he wouldn't keep bouncing from team to team. I like the Rookie as well but you can't roster everybody.
He didn't. Ben called him out and I wondered if he'd be traded. They patched things up and Ben has complimented him so...all's good. I don't wanna nitpick, just point out something worth paying attention to- no one does good in Pitt if Ben doesn't like ya. 

He's small and slowish. He runs routes like a veteran and sets guys up. He has great hands and is football smart. I think he could be an excellent slot WR and sub outside. I'm not sure he has the bod to be a big-time WR on the outside though. All the impressive other traits are still going to lead back to the physical nature of the position. 5-10 and 4.5 speed. He got one 4.4 time out of seven or eight and someone measured him at 5-11 but cmon. He was a big deal WR in college. He faced top corners in a top conference and still thrived. I have no doubt he could have contributed last year and the Steelers should have given him more usage but...full circle to his height and not top end speed. 

If you want to bring up guys like Welker or Edelman small or "slow" WR, go for it and I'd back ya. I think he is that good. I just have doubts about him regularly outside. McDonald is always hurt and likes to go deep when healthy. The Steelers probably do have an opening for a guy over the middle. 

He's a 5 for 50 guy, not a 5 for 100 yards guy.

Adding Jaron Brown

Running with the starters, gets TDs and is going undrafted in 28 round FFPC drafts.
Had him last year. Watched some and he just outleaped safeties. It was like a curl route and Wilson throws it high. After doing well for a couple weeks, the safeties lit him up and he predictably got hurt. He struggled to get open and play the position regularly. I'd watch Seahawks camp updates to see if he can get open on their corners in a traditional fashion. If all ya see is him outleap people, move on

Users who are viewing this thread