What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game Of Thrones - Did It Stick The Landing? (1 Viewer)

How Well Did Game Of Thrones Stick The Landing?

• 10. Perfect Landing

Votes: 4 2.8%

Votes: 2 1.4%

Votes: 18 12.6%

Votes: 31 21.7%

Votes: 14 9.8%

Votes: 16 11.2%

Votes: 16 11.2%

Votes: 20 14.0%

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • 1. Disaster Landing

Votes: 17 11.9%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Now that's is wrapped, what's your take on the final season and how it ended? Not on the overall series. But how well did it stick the landing the final season and especially the last few episodes?

Last edited by a moderator:
I only voted for final episode...>And gave it a 6.  Thought it was OK.  But I pretty much lowered my expectations 2 years ago.

Absolutely horrible
couple stooge monents for me ... chick is frying innocents left and right last week - has Varys fried for treason ... but somehow allows Tyrion to just sit in a cell?  

and Snow is miraculously spared after pulling a Willard on Dany's Colonel Kurtz?  i half expected to see a hippie fotog muttering "the skulls, you're looking at the skulls!"

i found his resurrection via the Red ##### much more plausible than Greyworm and co. sparing him after the killing. 

might've worked better for me if Jon hopped on Drogon immeditaely after killing Dany and showing those men of will just what "will" really meant. 

the cripple, the cripple from Winterfell ... have you seen him?

Thanks.  I've been searching for the right summation of my feeling toward last night's episode
Sure thing. The last season or so ended where I think it should have. Most of the characters ended up in spots where they should have. However so much of it was rushed, decisions by the characters  didn’t alway make sense and I thought the tone in the final episode was hammy and the deliverance on the final themes was as heavy handed as King Slayers right. 

couple stooge monents for me ... chick is frying innocents left and right last week - has Varys fried for treason ... but somehow allows Tyrion to just sit in a cell?  

and Snow is miraculously spared after pulling a Willard on Dany's Colonel Kurtz?  i half expected to see a hippie fotog muttering "the skulls, you're looking at the skulls!"

i found his resurrection via the Red ##### much more plausible than Greyworm and co. sparing him after the killing. 

might've worked better for me if Jon hopped on Drogon immeditaely after killing Dany and showing those men of will just what "will" really meant. 

the cripple, the cripple from Winterfell ... have you seen him?
I think it’s all just cutting corners and being rushed.  No way the Unsullied would turn to the Westeros elite to figure out who is in charge and what to do with the assassin. The way they could have gotten that point to work is simple too:  Just have the dragon- who Jon has bloodlines with- stay with him and defend him. If the dragon would have taken Jon’s side, that’s the one way the Unsullied would have fallen in line.

I think it’s all just cutting corners and being rushed.  No way the Unsullied would turn to the Westeros elite to figure out who is in charge and what to do with the assassin. The way they could have gotten that point to work is simple too- just have the dragon- who he has bloodlines to stay with him and defend him. If the dragon would have taken Jon’s side, that’s the one way the Unsullied would have fallen in line.
bingo. 

i asided to my gf after the killing that Snow should now jump on Drogon and go a)fry the Unsullied/Dothraki, or b)get them to heel, letting them know that exile outta Westeros is their only hope. 

this would've put Jon where i thought he belonged, in the pimp hand mode ... dictating the future, because he did more than anyone to save it. 

after he dispatched of Dany's armies (whether via fry or bye bye) he then could've convened that final facacta Lords and Ladies conference, and it would've made much more sense with him as the emcee ... he decrees Bran as king (i was cool with that), then says "fook it, im'ma go up North, beyond the wall, where i belong" (Tormund and Ghost and perhaps another plucky lil' ginger wildling).

oh, and in my scenario above, Dany fried Tyrion. 

/show

bingo. 

i asided to my gf after the killing that Snow should now jump on Drogon and go a)fry the Unsullied/Dothraki, or b)get them to heel, letting them know that exile outta Westeros is their only hope. 

this would've put Jon where i thought he belonged, in the pimp hand mode ... dictating the future, because he did more than anyone to save it. 

after he dispatched of Dany's armies (whether via fry or bye bye) he then could've convened that final facacta Lords and Ladies conference, and it would've made much more sense with him as the emcee ... he decrees Bran as king (i was cool with that), then says "fook it, im'ma go up North, beyond the wall, where i belong" (Tormund and Ghost and perhaps another plucky lil' ginger wildling).

oh, and in my scenario above, Dany fried Tyrion. 

/show
Yeah I think she should have fried Tyrion last week 

Overall the show is a 9.  Last season about a 6 and this season I gave it a 4.  They just tried to cram too much into too short of a time and they started jumping sharks left and right.  They got very sloppy.  Still good stuff throughout, but man this last season was a mess.  

I rarely rewatch shows but an amazing ending last night would have made me consider it for GoT. Now, I'll probably never rewatch another episode. I enjoyed the series overall but didn't care for this last season, especially the finale.

I rarely rewatch shows but an amazing ending last night would have made me consider it for GoT. Now, I'll probably never rewatch another episode. I enjoyed the series overall but didn't care for this last season, especially the finale.
It is going to be really odd watching a lot of it knowing the clunky heel turn for Dany and ultimate treatment of the undead army.  

Considered a 6, but went with a 4 for this season. The series as a whole was still an overwhelmingly positive experience with some of the most iconic moments in television history, and I can't get down with those who go overboard in saying the whole show's ruined, but the rushed nature of these last couple of seasons dulled the emotional impact of most of the big moments. 

It was fine, perfectly entertaining television.  The Jon + Ghost moment and the short scenes with the Stark gals were full of win.  But the Bran the Broken business was absurd and the pacing was atrocious.  Very little memorable dialogue apart from Daenerys' scary Nuremberg rally.  

It was much like the series as a whole.  Good TV and fun to watch.  It was not some transformative, sui generis programming.  Just a good show.  And the two writers are drastically overrated.  

Gave it a 6.

I think they went too happy ending.  Good start to the episode and liked certain aspects (as someone else mentioned music and effects).

Just everything too rushed Imo over the last two seasons.

It wasn’t the best but it did fit the narrative. Only downer for me was Jon but his ending made sense. Was represented well like Aemon before him. It makes sense but in a tragic kind of way. 

Arya is full of hope so hopefully she doesn’t run out of food and die. 

When they white boarded these ideas to determine the basic concepts of each episode It is hard for me to imagine that HBO wasn’t voicing major criticism. 

To use a movie reference, this show started out like Star Wars, evolved into Empire Strikes Back and ended with The Phantom Menace.  With the role of Jar Jar being played by Bran the Broken...

To use a movie reference, this show started out like Star Wars, evolved into Empire Strikes Back and ended with The Phantom Menace.  With the role of Jar Jar being played by Bran the Broken...
I'd say last season felt more like a Marvel movie.  Thin plot, good action.  

Voted 6. Agree it felt rushed and I don't like Bran as ruler. There were enough good moments to save it from being a train wreck. I'm pretty sure GRRM has said the books will end the same way. I'd like to read the final book when it comes out to expand on the ending. I think it would have been closer to an 8 if it wasn't so rushed.

Overall, yes. 

I don't like how they ended Dany's arc, and I had some quibbles with a few other things, but overall, it was good.  The last five minutes, with that gorgeous score, was money. 

Ultimately, House Stark won the Game of Thrones. :cool:  

I can't read, so I was a tad harsh and gave it a 4 thinking it was just for the finale.  

I think the season I would give something like a 5.5 -6.   There were some great individual scenes, but overall I think the show limped across the finish line.  I still liked this season more than the Dany doing nothing/Ramsey torturing fools/dragging Bran through the woods/Sand Snakes seasons, so I would give it a slightly above average grade.  

In the end there were just way too many WTF moments with the characters that might not have been there if they had given just a little more time.  Like 80s put so well - I don't have many issues with where people ended up, but how they got there was quite sloppy and sometimes unexplained.    I know it's  :deadhorse: but Jaime and Dany turns are the biggest example, but there are still things like Bran saying he can't be a ruler just to turn around and basically tell Tyrion that's why he came, Brienne for some reason goes against her vow to Cat to protect the girls, Varys getting the shaft story-wise.  Ep 2 was damn good, but Ep3 undercut it a bit since it didn't pay off the emotion that was built up.  Then start adding up all the cheesy/blockbuster stuff that found it's way into the show more and more over the last 2+ seasons, and we end with a show that felt like a shell of itself.  

There were great moments for sure - the actual battle in KL was badass, just about every scene Dinklage gave an amazing performance, some of the Jaime scenes (when he first got to Winterfell, Arya was great, on and on.  But in the end it couldn't overcome all the stuff I posted about above, and it really dragged the quality of the show as a whole down with it.  

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
After thinking about it, I am not sure how many characters' arcs I was really on board with and satisfied with at the end.  Maybe:  The Hound, Sansa, Tyrion, Sam ?

Sure thing. The last season or so ended where I think it should have. Most of the characters ended up in spots where they should have. However so much of it was rushed, decisions by the characters  didn’t alway make sense and I thought the tone in the final episode was hammy and the deliverance on the final themes was as heavy handed as King Slayers right. 
Well said. I was okay with how each character got to his or her end. I was not okay with the ways they got they. This story was about the marathon, not the finish line. 

After thinking about it, I am not sure how many characters' arcs I was really on board with and satisfied with at the end.  Maybe:  The Hound, Sansa, Tyrion, Sam ?
To me, Brienne becoming a knight, then Head of the Kings Guard and finally writing the deeds of Ser Jaime Lannister who's pages were previously blank was the only part of the ending that gave me any emotions at all.  The rest of the episode, I was like, "is this over yet?"

I just think wheels becoming king was really odd.   But, it ended.   I feel bad for the girl who pushed him around for three seasons. 

Users who are viewing this thread